Memories

The Flowers We Saw

“Come on.” Taking Kihoon’s hand he led him into the living room sitting with his son after they dumped out his toy box. He smiled watching Kihoon entertain himself with a toy train and subconsciously peered toward his bedroom. The door had been left open.

He imagined Namjoo walking out. Messy hair and all. Eyes puffy from sleep. Shuffling toward the stove to begin cooking breakfast. Maybe she’d be scolding him for the mess he had created with Kihoon. Put the toys away and turn the TV off. Come help me, you’re doing nothing. Go away you’re doing it all wrong.

Patting his arm for attention, Kihoon called, “Daddy, look!” and carried the train through the air like an airplane making noises of his own.

Oh Kihoon was the treasure of the family. Sehun couldn’t put enough words together to thank his son for his existence. Blessing his and Namjoo’s lives. Binding him and Namjoo into a marriage however short, but he had experienced it once and wouldn’t forget it. Those things were tucked very dearly in his heart.

“What did you do at your mom’s?” Sehun wondered.

“I pway,” Kihoon answered focused now on his stacking blocks. Sehun joined in,  but Kihoon pushed his hands away. Just like Namjoo shoving him to the side when she noticed he wasn’t cutting the meat the way she wanted. “You do wrong! Stop!”

So much of her in Kihoon. Did Namjoo see him when she looked at their son? Reminisce about him from time to time?

“All right, fine.” Sehun gave up. “So, are you going to answer me?”

Kihoon didn’t answer right away, as if testing his patience. Teasing him with the wait. Then finally, “Grammy and guppy give me ice cream, but shhh!” he held a finger up to his lips. “No tell mommy.”

Sehun blinked. Not taken aback by the fact that he’d had a sugar overdose when forbidden, but because of the mention of Namjoo’s parents.

Seeing Namjoo here and there was natural. They had to switch weeks with Kihoon. To have something to do with each other again was an idea as impossible as sharks sprouting legs. That was one reason why he never saw Namjoo more than necessary.

If he gave word, he ought to keep it.

⸎⸎⸎⸎⸎

“How much does it cost to print something?” Namjoo asked the librarian.

Less than ten minutes later she was inserting coins into the printer listening to the machine hum and spit out the articles she had looked up. Exiting the library, she found her car and got inside. Switching the heat on while she sat there with the papers on her lap.

She hardly read the paper. She wasn’t a news events type of person. The only thing important to her was the weather forecast, which she could get by a quick sweep through her phone. Holding up the sheets Namjoo skimmed Friday’s article running across the article Seol mentioned. Three pictures of Lilac Palace were pasted around a dozen lines reiterating the interview she’d given Seol.

Next page over the article ended a quarter of the way. On it she spotted Sehun’s article. His name printed beneath the title.

Sehun always held his job with much pride. Though he didn’t go into much detail with her, she could see that he really liked his job. Spending long hours at the office, in and out of his car finding people to talk to, carrying that Nikon with him. The time he spent outside the house was devoted to his very job.

But Namjoo never read his articles. She’d been too busy with her restaurant and now had even less reason to read what he wrote.

Placing the papers aside Namjoo subconsciously rubbed her wallet scanning the card slots when she flipped it open. Credit cards. Debit cards. Rewards cards. Kihoon goofily smiling in the picture window. Then spotting the business card. Pulling it out Namjoo smoothed out the bent edges. Recognizing the company logo. Sehun’s name underneath along with telephone number and email address.

“Keep it,” he’d told her when they got dressed after a night together. Flashing a confident grin, “I’m a career man.”

She had scoffed. Not yet realizing how in depth his feelings actually were.

Memories, she discovered, could be really fond ones. But in the end, memories were just memories.

Replacing the card into its designated slot, Namjoo also put her wallet aside.

Sehun had really had dinner with Seol and she had confessed about her feelings. Starting the engine Namjoo reversed out of the lot. There wasn’t anything to do. Sehun had his own right to start over. She had known the moment they signed the divorce papers what it meant for them.

Their marriage had been nullified that exact moment. Sehun didn’t owe her anything. Still, she didn’t think he’d move on this soon.

It had just been six months.

Then again, memories were just memories and now is now.

Driving to the restaurant Namjoo walked in. Grinning when Eunkyung enthusiastically greeted, “Hi, boss!”

“You came in early,” Namjoo commented. “If it’s not busy today, how about leaving early?”

“Really?” her eyes bugged out.

“Yes, really.” Namjoo said.

“That’s perfect! I have a date later in the day,” she beamed excitedly. “Let me text him.”

Hurrying over to the register she picked up her phone overjoyed, fingers flying over the keyboard. Namjoo’s heart melted tasting nostalgia as she remembered her own youth. Long ago when she had been in love; those days, too, were mere memories.

Jumping on skittish feet, Eunkyung darted into the kitchen. Her loud voice thinned out as she shared the news about her date.

Standing in the bare lobby, Namjoo stared out the side window. A beseeching sun lit the world up today. Warmth reclaiming its place on the weather spectrum. Spring was all about love and renewal.

Tomorrow what awaited her? Would she be able to change her world for the better the day after? By the end of the week could she start anew?

⸎⸎⸎⸎⸎

Sehun had stepped out for lunch. Grabbed a sandwich four buildings down. Settled in front of the window people watching. He was a quarter way through his meal when the door opened inviting a draft inside. Some male heads lifted as Seol stepped in. Sighting him she grinned.

Once she made her order she walked over with her tray. Ignoring the male gazes as she sat with him. Putting on a front Sehun took a loud sip from his soda.

“I saw you in front of the window when I was walking by,” Seol admitted. “Do you always eat by yourself?”

“I don’t like talking when I eat.” Sehun said.

“I didn’t know.” Seol apologized. “I’m sorry.”

“No, it’s ok.” Sehun assured taking another bite of his sandwich wondering if he should ask Seol about Namjoo. Then decided against it. In the end, it didn’t matter. Namjoo knew about the picture in his wallet now. She couldn’t take back that knowledge and pretend she didn’t know. There was nothing he could do about it anyway.

“I did my math and that means Kihoon is with you this week.” Seol started. “Do you have any plans?”

“He has a dentist appointment coming up.” Sehun replied.

“That’s going to be tricky.” Seol sympathized. “Lets hope he agrees to get his teeth checked.”

They walked back to work together. Tucking his hands in his coat pockets he hoped his parents weren’t feeding Kihoon sweets secretly. He wasn’t sure what he’d do if Kihoon had cavities. How Namjoo would react if she heard.

“I went there last week,” Seol’s voice woke him up. He glanced at her. “To the restaurant.”

Arching her neck back she stared up at the clouds. Somewhat smiling, she said, “I was curious what kind of woman Sehun likes.”

Turning away he focused on the empty sidewalk. Just the two of them walking.

“The food was delicious,” Seol complimented. “She said she thought of the menu by herself.” Glancing at him, she went on, “You must like a woman who can cook.”

Sehun’s eyes landed on a crack in the sidewalk. He never really knew what type of woman he wanted. From time to time he still wondered how he had landed Namjoo. The two of them coming this far because she had called him. “The pill didn’t work.”

They had come quite a long way.

Oh Kihoon, their treasure, always reminding them they had the best regardless the circumstances.

Sehun stayed on the bright side because of his son.

“She cooks well.” Sehun said.

Seol teasingly whined, “Aww geez! That means I should do better. My mom still cooks for me.”

When their gazes skimmed past each other’s, she laughed. Saying nothing he offered a smile.

Sitting down at his desk he resumed work. The other half of his consciousness delved back in time. Recalling when he’d heard those words the ground had opened beneath his feet like the jaws of a shark pulling him under. His heart pounded like the night club music. The heavy bass thickly ramming through the barrier in his chest igniting fear and also shame.

Being with Namjoo had been like entering a territory with a no entry sign. Sehun had been a child who’d been told not to follow a stranger, but had disregarded the rules out of curiosity hurting himself in the process.

With Namjoo he had had many of his firsts. She was like a drug he had to keep inhaling. She had been unforgettable. Sehun had never planned when to end it. When to finally call quits. Always picking up her calls. Running out in the middle of the night to meet her even if it was 4am and had to go to work two hours later.

He knew he was responsible. He should’ve held back. Stopped himself when he realized he didn’t have a . They could still have met up again the following night when he stocked up.

But he could never stop himself when he was with her. He was like a faucet run free when with her. The handle broken. The faucet unable to turn off.

Despite never sharing anything personal, Sehun always admired Namjoo. Those days she had piqued every bit of his male interest being his first. When they slept, he watched her. Lightly combing his fingers through her silky hair and quickly drawing back when she mumbled and moved. Tracing the shape of her nose and laughing when she scrunched up her face because it tickled. Sehun had lain in bed with her. Planning how long he should hold out until he called her again when they woke up and parted ways.

“Where are you? I’ll come to you.” He had asked, finally finding his voice.

Namjoo had panicked, but she didn’t scream at him for being the reason her freedom dwindled. Nothing ever went well for them after he brought her home to meet his parents.

He endured nothing. Namjoo endured everything.

⸎⸎⸎⸎⸎

“You’re here? Come in,” his mother welcomed him inside the two-story home built on a land they’d received from their predecessors when they married. The sturdy wood material resonated a gold glow from the side lanterns placed methodically on either side of the front door.

“Dinner is almost ready. Stay and eat before you leave.”

“I’m fine, mom,” Sehun tried. “I’ll just pick Kihoon up and leave.”

Turning around the corner he discovered why Kihoon had been making such a racket. A blanket was knotted around his neck acting like a cape as he jumped onto the couch and hurdled through the air jumping into his aunt’s arms, screeching like a wild animal.

When she turned as he approached, he said, “I didn’t know you were here.”

“Doyoon is on a business trip, so I stopped by.” His younger sister Hayoung explained.

She’d immediately tied the knot with a high school sweetheart he knew nothing about a semester before graduating college. Their parents had been exceptionally happy for her. For one thing, they adored her boyfriend.

“Daddy!” Kihoon screamed. Letting him down he ran straight into Sehun’s legs. “Daddy! Daddy! Look! I hero!”

“Are you?” Sehun grinned.

“Damn,” she huffed hands on hips, “the little human has too much energy.”

Lifting his son up, Sehun commented, “Runs in the family. Weren’t you like that?”

She scoffed punching him in the arm. Then sinking onto the floor, she asked, “How’s work?”

After telling her about the previous events with Seol he merely stared flat eyed as she burst out laughing. Slapping her thigh because she thought it was hilarious.

“Poor girl,” Hayoung sympathized. Drying tears at the corner of her eyes, she asked, “So, is she hot?”

His brow twitched irritated that that was all she found necessary to ask. “Is that all you’re going to do? Laugh?”

“Does Namjoo know?” she questioned. “Did she say anything about this girl who has a crush on you?”

Partially glaring, he answered, “She knows.”

Leaning over to rub Kihoon’s head, she teased, “What are you going to do, Kihoon? Your daddy might start dating.”

His son whirled around so fast Sehun was surprised. “You no love mommy no more?”

Sehun opened his mouth to reply, but took a breath and glared at his sister. “Stop saying random things, will you?” Pulling Kihoon onto his lap, he scolded, “And don’t say damn in front of my son.”

“What bout mommy?” Kihoon whined staring up at him already on the verge of tears.

“Aunty is just joking,” Sehun soothed.

Poking her head from around the corner his mom announced, “Come eat! Dinner is ready.” Noticing her teary grandson, she scolded, “Why’d you make him cry?!” Hurrying over she snatched Kihoon from him. “Come to grandma.” Bouncing him in her arms, “There, there.”

Sehun made a face at Hayoung signifying whose fault it was as he got up to follow his mom. Their father was arranging plates in the kitchen.

Upon their approach, he asked, “Oh? What’s wrong with him?”

Walking to his wife he comfortingly Kihoon’s head.

“Put him down. He’s big enough,” Sehun told taking a seat.

Sitting with Kihoon on her lap, his mother asked, “Have you decided where he’s going to school yet?”

“We haven’t talked about it.” We, meaning him and Namjoo.

“If his mom can’t decide, then you do it. You’re his father,” his mom pressed.

“We’ll decide together. There’s still time.” Sehun stated.

“Is she too busy running her restaurant again?” his mother complained. “If she can’t even meet you to talk about your son’s education, then what are you doing still leaving Kihoon in her charge?”

He didn’t miss the connation in your as if Kihoon was just his son and not Namjoo’s.

“We just haven’t spoken about it, mom,” Sehun deepened his tone struggling not to flash his annoyance at their assumptions.

“Kihoon is getting older,” his father jumped in.

They weren’t gaining up on him, but it strongly felt like it.

“Why not just leave him here? Your mom and I can help. It’ll make things easier for you.”

Only him. Nothing about the complications Namjoo may ever face being a single divorced mother. They would never consider her side.

“I can take care of it.” Sehun tried not to grit his teeth.

“Seriously,” his mother heaved an exhaustive sigh. “I can’t believe you. Aren’t you worried about your son at all?” Mumbling, “She should have at least brought it up.”

Refraining from making any remarks Sehun stuffed himself.

It wasn’t like he didn’t expect it. Where he lacked, Namjoo was blamed. She was Kihoon’s mother. Kihoon should be her first priority. If only she didn’t open that restaurant, his mother would mutter, then perhaps they could live normally as expected of a couple. He’d work to provide while Namjoo raised Kihoon with all the love in the world. Nourishing and teaching Kihoon from home, walking him to school, picking him up while he handled outside matters, tending to relative events, and all Namjoo had to do was show up pretty.

But that was not his life. That was not Namjoo’s life.

Kihoon was drained when Sehun carried him out of the house. It was nearing his bed time and Sehun was in a hurry to escape. After giving Kihoon many kisses and hugs he finally managed to walk away from his parents, but not after they reminded him to have a conference with Namjoo.

Quietly following him down the yard, Hayoung helped, “Don’t mind them too much, Sehun. They’re just thinking about Kihoon.”

“I’m fine.” He assured. Glancing at her, he said, “Go back in. You don’t need to walk me out.”

She pressed her lips together forming a tiny smile. “By the way, how’s Namjoo?”

“She’s fine.”

“Wow,” she playfully breathed, “she still hasn’t come after you yet?”

“Hayoung,” he called seriously.

She scoffed with a slight roll of the eyes. Peering into the distance, she appeared forlorn. “Don’t stay apart too long. How are you going to get back together?”

He stared at her less menacingly this time.

Turning to face him she said, “You should get back together. You two lost so easily it makes me sad.”

He didn’t ask for her to specify assuming she was speaking about the pressure from his parents that had heightened over his marriage. Causing it to crumble in the end.

“Then, drive back safe.” Pivoting around she headed back inside.

“Daddy?” Kihoon called. His head was buried in the crook of Sehun’s neck. Slumped against him tiredly.

“Hmm?” 

“I miss mommy.”

Sehun’s eyes caught the darkness looming around them. Unable to say he, too, felt the same.

“You’ll see her soon.” He promised.

They both would.


***she has his business card he has her picture. you know what they say, you keep the pics of your most loved ones in your wallet. I have my dog in my wallet's picture slot cause I love him the most and he's my baby lol