Hard Times

The Flowers We Saw

Sehun tried not to make a U-turn back to Doyoon’s. Retrieve his sister and just bring her with him to Namjoo’s where she could be safe. He was flanked by traffic at the red lights. Blocked off from turning around, so he drove straight to Namjoo’s.

It was late. He was making her wait for him again. He wondered if this evening Kihoon was sleeping already. He yearned for Namjoo’s hug. The safety of her arms. To relish in the warmth of her comfort.

Namjoo was in the kitchen in front of the stove when he walked in. Cozily wrapped up in one of her aprons. Peering over her shoulder with a pretty smile. “You’re back?”

Hurrying right over he wrapped an arm around her waist and kissed her cheek.

She giggled. “What’s this?”

Pressing his face into her cheek he relaxed against her. Feeling his sorrow diminish. “I just want to hug you for a while.”

“Did something happen?” Namjoo worried.

“Lets talk later.” He said. Peering at the pot he asked, “What are you making?”

“It’s potato soup.”

“Is that dinner?”

“Yours is in the fridge.”

“Then what’s this for?”

“Just figured I should keep myself busy while I wait for you.” She said.

“Kihoon sleeping?”

Namjoo gestured toward the living room. “He wanted to wait for daddy, but fell asleep. Go wake him up. He missed you.”

“Ok.” He pressed his lips against her face one more time before letting go. Taking his time, he went to find Kihoon knocked out cutely on the couch. An arm was bent, angled by his tiny head that was turned to the side. A line of drool traveled from mouth to cheek.

Sehun playfully pinched his nose. a hand up his face into his silky black hair. He could tell Namjoo had bathed him because he was in his pajamas and was wearing a diaper. The baby wash smelled strongly. Regardless of time, Kihoon was always going to be their baby.

“Hey, little guy,” Sehun called shaking him. “Look who’s home?”

Kihoon tiredly opened his eyes but not all the way. His head leaned back as his eyes fully shut. Sehun laughed under his breath happily. Carrying Kihoon he pushed the door to his room open. Finding his way to the toddler sized bed and tucked his exhausted son in. Namjoo was finishing up by the time he walked out.

“He’s that sleepy, huh?” she asked without looking at him.

“He must’ve had fun today,” he commented.

“Well,” Namjoo paused for a second, “he had fun.”

From where he stood in front of Kihoon’s bedroom he let his eyes run over her. Soaking in the view of her. Six months apart and heartbreak in between. It didn’t ever seem to be enough, because he was still insecure and scared of losing her any day.

That maybe Namjoo might change her mind about him. Scared that outside influences would befall them once more. This time he would lose her for good and six months would extend into a longer period of time.

If his parents could make him feel like rubbish, what about her parents?

Abruptly flying forward, he wheeled her away from the stove into his arms. Hugging her tightly against his body. Cupping the back of her head and burying his face into her hair.

“Sehun…”

“Don’t say anything.” He begged. “Please.”

His parents may be ashamed of the circumstances surrounding his marriage, but he was never ashamed of Namjoo or of the fact that they’d married because she was pregnant. She had never been a mistake.

⸎⸎⸎⸎⸎

“This, too, and that,” Namjoo pointed to the various side dishes she’d cooked for dinner. Making extra when she realized he was returning late. Finally sitting down with him at the table to ensure he finished everything. Really, just to waste the time with him.

She had missed him today.

She had thought a lot about the time spent together during marriage.

“You had that much time?” he asked taking a bite of each one.

“Because you took so long,” Namjoo said. “Did you try this one? Is it bitter?”

“I didn’t yet. Hold on.” He took a swig of his water. “You’re so eager. This must be the downfall of living with a restaurant owner.”

Namjoo made a face at him. Leaning on her arms she watched him take a mouthful. “So?”

He chewed for some amount of time. Took another gulp of water and his eyes watered. “It’s really bitter. God, what did you do?”

“It’s just some greens I picked up. Guess it’s no go, huh?” Namjoo pressed her lips together.

“Don’t ever put that on your menu,” he warned. “Your customers will riot.”

Namjoo laughed humored. “I’ll secretly put it in your food when you anger me.”

“Then we’ll just see how I punish you,” he teased.

Namjoo chucked napkins at him.

After finishing his meal, he helped her clean up even when she told him not to. Working together in complete harmony definitely cheered her up after a pain induced day. She was just happy now. Sehun was with her. She would be waking up with him next to her.

Tonight, she had him back in her house.

He wasn’t going anywhere.

While he hopped in the shower to freshen up, Namjoo went into the bedroom. Paced around. Catching sight of the closet she slid it open. Unveiling her dresses, a mix of blouses, and skirts. Stuff she didn’t normally wear anymore but still kept for memory’s sake.

Sliding one hanger then another over. Smiling when she traced her fingers over Sehun’s shirts. Telling him to hang them up because she didn’t want the material wrinkling as they sat in his duffel bag. Thinking he looked so handsome every time he wore one to work. Looking professional and intelligent.

“What are you doing?” She whirled around at the sound of Sehun’s voice.

Closing the closet Namjoo sat down on the bed. Watching him toss his clothes in the laundry basket. Mixing his garments with hers. Something they already started doing again.

“That was quick,” Namjoo commented. Tilting her head up she watched him come sit by her. Sliding his hand down her wrist he clutched onto her hand and they interlocked fingers.

“I went to see Hayoung today.” He told.

“I didn’t know,” Namjoo murmured. “How did it go?”

“Your intuition was right,” he glanced down at the floor. “She was full of injuries.”

Clamping her eyes, she sighed. “I’m sorry.”

“I took her to our parents’,” Sehun explained. “It didn’t turn out so good. Mom wouldn’t have it, so now they’re calling up the family from both sides for a meeting.”

“What about Hayoung?” Namjoo worried.

He sighed, deplored. “I took her home.”

“You could have brought her here.” Namjoo suggested.

“Hayoung wanted to go home,” Sehun quietly said. She could tell by his tone of voice he wished he could have done more. “I couldn’t stop her.” Releasing another sigh, “I should have.”

Namjoo gripped onto his hand tighter. “I’m so sorry, Sehun.”

“That bastard threw a cup of smoothie at her,” Sehun cursed. “It cut her right between the eyes. It was so bad she wouldn’t look at me.”

Namjoo wanted to cry for him. How horrible it must be knowing your own family was suffering at the hands of an abuser and there wasn’t anything he could do without involving immediate family – yet they weren’t determined to find a resolution for their own daughter.

And there was nothing she could do for him, but witness his pain.

Touching his shoulder, she comforted, “You did what you could.” But those words didn’t seem to be enough.

She didn’t seem to be doing enough.

As she sat with him, she couldn’t bring herself to say his mother visited her today. That she knew they were living together. Proving again she couldn’t do anything for Sehun even if she liked him so much.

She held Sehun in hopes of comforting him but she didn’t sleep easy that night. Her heart was full of a darkness fogging the road ahead. The feeling didn’t leave her even when she woke up.

Sehun was quiet as they ate breakfast. The stress cultivating another forked road between them. As much as Namjoo wanted to offer a helping hand, his parents would look down on her. She wasn’t a part of their family. You’re just an outsider. Go back where you belong, she could hear his mother screaming at her. Then in the end, she would just be in Sehun’s way. She wouldn’t be any help to Hayoung.

Namjoo drove to work with a cloud hanging over her head. Kihoon went with her again, because she didn’t want to find a sitter for him. She couldn’t face her parents. She didn’t want to talk with them right now.

Namjoo spent half the day working in the kitchen and the lobby. Keeping watch on Kihoon who was at his usual table. On it were his coloring books and plates of sweets to keep him company. Her customers commented on how cute he was, but majority of the time minded their own business. Here to eat, quick to leave. Everyone having other places to be.

Checking on Kihoon one more time when Eunkyung clocked in, Namjoo finally focused on baking more pastry. Helping complete orders when the cook fell behind. She was so occupied all the worries that she had been obsessing over felt lightyears away.

That was until Eunkyung called out, “Boss.”

She turned to find the employee standing in the kitchen doorway. “What?”

“Someone wants to talk to you.”

“Who?” Namjoo asked. Why did people always seek her out at her restaurant? Was it Sehun’s mother again?

“I don’t know. It’s a man.”

By the choice of words, it definitely wasn’t Sehun.

“Keep an eye on the temperature,” Namjoo instructed Junhee before walking away.

The lobby was clean. All tables without a speck of food that had dripped off plates. Eunkyung must have been cleaning when he walked in. Lunch rush was dying but there were still three persons enjoying their afternoon meals. A couple and a businessman, Namjoo supposed, from his garment. A trench coat slung over the backside of the chair next to him. He was dressed in a ironed blue button down and sleek black pants and was wearing black socks. Shiny dress shoes to complement today’s choice of wear. The man’s wide back faced her causing her to look one table over.

On her left she recognized Hayoung’s husband. Similarly dressed in a sleek button down and black pants; his hair neatly swept to the side with pomade. The sunlight from the side window hit the formula just barely that there was a faint shine. A tie bar held his red tie sturdily in place.

Doyoon hadn’t ordered anything, but there was a glass of water in front of him. Politely served by her employee.

“You look surprised,” he smiled. The crow’s feet forming at the corner of his eyes made him appear dashing. Fact proclaiming that age was doing him a handsome number.

“Mommy,” Kihoon called out.

“In a minute, honey,” Namjoo glanced over her shoulder.

Doyoon’s smile when she turned resonated creepily on the mischievous side, like a child up to no good. Or maybe it was the too cool glaze in his eyes.

“Sit down.” He invited.

Namjoo pulled out the chair across from him and sat down. Not too closely to table she subconsciously told herself.

“Is there something I can help you with?” Namjoo asked.

The corner of his mouth moved up perturbing her. His hand moved forward and, in a flash, splashed the cup of water at her. Namjoo gasped, shocked.

The entire room froze to a standstill. No one moved. The customers stared at the drama unfolding. As if in a distant land faraway, she heard Kihoon wailing.

The chair toppled over as Doyoon shoved it back and stood. Towering over her sitting form. His low voice came out menacing. Hot rage seethed through his entire body. His eyes fired up. Yelling, “I don’t know what Hayoung told you, but you stay out of my marriage! How dare you gossip to Sehun and stir up baseless rumor! A divorced woman like you should stay at the sidelines where you belong!”

Spinning around he stomped out of her restaurant slamming the door behind him. Namjoo exhaled as water dripped from her hair down her face soaking her clothes. Her hands shook, so she grasped the chair to try to stop.

Her mind spun at the outburst. She was scared but she was angry. Doyoon had just attacked her. Namjoo was still trying to grasp that fact when Eunkyung dashed over, handing her a dry towel. Kihoon was already at her side clutching onto her arm. Crying, “Mommy! Mommy!”

Forced to release the chair she put her arm around him. Pulling him close. “It’s ok. It’s ok. I’m ok.” She lied.

When she noticed the customers were still staring, Namjoo said to Eunkyung who was up-righting the fallen chair, “I’ll be in the office.”

Taking Kihoon with her she closed the door. Lifting him up into her arms and hugged him close as she cradled him. Ashamed that he had seen some man attack his mother. Angry she hadn’t been able to protect him from seeing something she never wanted him to witness. Even more upset that she’d let Doyoon degrade her like that.

She thought about Sehun. Calling him for comfort. To explain what just happened, but she stopped at the thought of it.

There already was so much going on in his head. All she would do was worsen everything.

Wrapping her arm securely around Kihoon who was starting to quiet, she held him closer. Rocking him slowly. Waiting it out as he fell asleep in her arms. Unable to bear the thought of leaving him alone, she stayed with him. Behind the closed door of her office, tucked away from the outside. Marveling in the comfort Kihoon could give her and dreaming of the day when he’d grow big enough and someday protect those he loved.

Namjoo drifted off to sleep waking up when the door opened. Not sure how much time passed but her arms felt numb. Kihoon, a weight against her body, was still deep asleep. Her neck tensed when she moved and groaned. Recalling why she had woken up.

Raising her head, she recognized Sehun blocking the doorway. His expression was tight, but one look at their son and he chose not to say anything. Stepping into her office he took Kihoon from her arms and adjusted him in his own.

“Get your stuff,” Sehun ordered. “I’ll take you home.”

Namjoo paused midway while massaging her neck. “What?”

“I said get your stuff.” Sehun tersely repeated.

Namjoo glanced at the clock. It was five. She’d slept for some time. Probably her body making up for lost time last night since she hadn’t slept well. A depleted sigh left her lips.

“It’s not closing time.” She pushed herself to her feet.

“The cook said he’ll close and the part-timer will stay with him.” Sehun stated. “Now get your stuff.”

Namjoo’s brows drew together. “What is with you?”

At the sound of the distress in her voice, Kihoon stirred with a cry. Annoyed because of a sleepless slumber; that his irritable parents were waking him as they embroiled in a standoff.

“Mommy…mommy…” Kihoon whimpered. Pushing against Sehun’s shoulders he turned left and right searching for her. Whining, “Mommy…”

“It’s ok…I’m right here, honey,” Namjoo hushed taking him back from Sehun, who deeply exhaled.

His eyes quickly dashed around her office stashed with a filing cabinet, three binders tucked in the corner, a phone, and various papers sprawled across the desk. Making haste he snatched her bag. Didn’t forget her mobile phone. Lightly gripping her arm, he pulled her out with him. They passed Eunkyung behind the counter then were out the door. Forced to go with him because Kihoon was in her arms and falling back to sleep.

She couldn’t raise her voice because passersby were approaching. Maybe they were customers heading toward her restaurant. Sehun unlocked his car, took Kihoon from her and buckled him into his booster seat. Namjoo listened as he wailed and Sehun impatiently told her to get in. Flustered, Namjoo snapped the seatbelt over her.

Kihoon threw a fit when they arrived at her place. Raged with tears as they rode the elevator up. It took an even longer time to shush him when they finally entered her apartment.

“I’ll put him to bed then we can talk,” Namjoo said. It finally clicked in her head that Sehun must have heard Doyoon visited. He’d be pissed off beyond his own control. While trying to put Kihoon back to sleep she could rehearse what excuse she’ll give for not calling him right away.

Their son wouldn’t lay in his own bed. He clung onto her. her shirt and refused to let go. Namjoo gave up. Letting him bury his face against her s and hugged him. Poor Kihoon who she’d let witness Doyoon’s rage. How scared he must have been when he heard the screaming.

She perked up when Sehun sat beside her. “You should have told me.”

“Sorry,” she quietly repented.

Sighing again was his only option. They continued to sit in Kihoon’s dark room lit with the kitchen light seeping through the door left halfway open, the darkness mounting them familiarly.

“I didn’t want you to worry.” Namjoo said.

“How can I not worry?” he pressed, tried not to raise his voice because he was upset she had hidden it from him. “Who do you think I am?”

“You have too much to worry about already,” Namjoo softly said. “I don’t want to be another burden for you.”

“You are not.”

“Your mother stopped by.” Namjoo felt her heart ache. A hand busily Kihoon’s small head. His breathing pounced off her shirt and she took comfort in his little form. The son who needed her like she needed him right now. “How can I be good enough if I just worry you?”

There was no reply. A swivel of the head and she saw him looking at her with concern. All the unsaid things that melted her when they were married. A tear slipped down her face because she felt unworthy, and today she had failed to be anything.

For her son.

For herself.

Cupping her head Sehun urged her against his shoulder, where she closed her eyes and allowed the darkness to shroud them.