Undying Flowers

The Flowers We Saw

⸎⸎⸎⸎⸎

“Are you going on a date today, boss? You’re extra pretty today,” Eunkyung teased.

“I’m not.” Namjoo slipped her jacket off and draped it over her chair in the office.

“How’s your hand?” Eunkyung wondered.

Namjoo glanced at the bandage Sehun had fixed for her. The memory incurring her to smile. Her thoughts broke when the door opened and customers filed in.

Nudging Eunkyung forward, she told, “Take their order.”

Heading into the kitchen she grabbed her apron and started on a batch of fresh dough. Halfway through the afternoon rush when Junhee returned from his break, Eunkyung poked her head in.

“You have guests, boss.”

Drying her freshly washed hands with the lower half of her apron, she stepped out. Surprised to find Hayoung and her husband, whose name she couldn’t remember, standing a width away from the counter. Having no clue why they would stop by her restaurant and for what business. She wasn’t sure how to react or greet them.

She could readily welcome Hayoung, but her husband was a different matter. Namjoo had only ever said hi to him. Never ever had a decent conversation with him. He was just never around the family, like he didn’t like the Oh’s. Namjoo wondered if he was shy or reclusive. Even Sehun didn’t know his own sister’s husband.

“Hi,” Namjoo walked up to them, “is something going on?”

“If you have time, lets sit for a few minutes.” Hayoung’s husband was first to talk.

Namjoo glanced at Sehun’s sister just standing by. Nodding she led them to a window seat asking for Eunkyung to get them water. Eyes landing on the tabletop when he slid a card forward.

“My parents are holding a small celebration for me,” he explained. “We’d like you to come.”

Namjoo hesitated to touch the paper. Lifting her head up to look at them. Inquiring for further information. Like maybe they forgot she and Sehun were divorced.

They were no longer family.

“We thought it’s only proper to invite everyone.” He added. “You were an important part of the family. It would mean a lot to me for you to come.”

A quick thought and Namjoo didn’t understand why it was he who was saying this to her.

“Is that why you came the other day?” Namjoo eyed Hayoung.

Her husband turned to look at her. Asking accusingly, “You came here?”

Put on the spot, Hayoung’s eyes fluttered. Namjoo’s guts twisted. Aware she’d said something she shouldn’t have.

“I mean,” she hurriedly fixed, “it would have been easier on you both when I asked Hayoung to stop by.”

Namjoo smiled hoping that would mend whatever it was that just fluctuated in the air.

“Of course,” he shortly grinned.

Namjoo bit her inner lip. Pinned between the wall of awkwardness and guilt. Still fully aware her lame excuse hadn’t fixed it. Receiving a comforting smile from Hayoung even though it didn’t really feel all right. A few minutes later she watched from the window as they entered their car. Hayoung’s husband’s face went from smiley to stern. He was speaking strictly. Lips tight, eyebrows drawn together. One glance at the passenger seat and it didn’t look like Hayoung was defending herself.

What were they talking about?

Namjoo didn’t have enough time to determine if it was an argument before the car backed up and Doyoon drove off. Lowering her head, she stared at the card.

Would she go?

Inviting family meant Sehun’s parents would no doubt be there. A year without them in her life and Namjoo wasn’t sure she was ready to face them. When she handed Sehun the divorce papers they’d said nothing to her though she was sure they were jumping with joy.

If she met them again, what would they say to her? Nitpick at her for not considering Kihoon’s education? Would they tell her she was a bad mother? Sehun should take custody if she was so greedy about her restaurant. Would they try to persuade her to give up Kihoon?

Sehun’s parents were predictable. And then they weren’t.

That was it. What made her decision.

Tomorrow she’d find Hayoung and return the card. She didn’t want to go. She didn’t even know Doyoon. She was no longer a part of the family.

She didn’t want to see Sehun’s parents.

Every flash of every horrible moment swerved through her head. Of his father’s shake of the head. A man who didn’t want to accept her as a daughter-in-law. Sehun’s mother’s antics that trotted on her pride. Their contemptuous eyes whenever they had to look at her, but dealt with their underlying emotions because she birthed their only grandchild. The way they would snicker around her in hushed voices, as if she wasn’t there.

Namjoo didn’t want to relive days putting on a strong front. Hiding in the bathroom and crying.

She didn’t ever want to see Sehun’s parents again.

So, she woke up extra early the next day. Leaving Junhee to open the restaurant without her while she made a run to the city hall. Walking up to the counter she asked for Hayoung. The thirty-something lady in round glasses blinked. Surprised or lost or befuddled.

Spinning around the lady called out, “Dani, the woman is looking for someone.”

An older woman in a dark sweater walked up. The thirty-something lady left her to repeat herself. “Is Hayoung here? Her name is Oh Hayoung.”

“Ah…Hayoung,” the elder woman clocked her head back at the familiar name. “She quit a while ago.”

Namjoo blinked. “Sorry?”

“About a month ago. She turned in her resignation letter,” the elder woman explained. “Sorry, I can’t help you.”

Confused, Namjoo remained standing in front of the counter as if waiting for the woman to suddenly realize she was wrong. She didn’t come back. Swiveling around Namjoo walked out of the city hall. Unable to fathom what she just heard.

It didn’t make sense. Hayoung quitting her job.

A blast of cool air chilled her face. She replayed the visit from Hayoung and her husband yesterday. Something about the demeanor between them bothered her.

Tucking the card into her purse she returned to her car. There was no choice but to wait out the rest of the week. See if Hayoung might stop by again. Namjoo didn’t know where to look for her. No longer had her phone number, because Hayoung had changed it a while ago. Focused on her own life Namjoo had had no reason to stay in contact.

Maybe, Namjoo was starting to think, she should have.

If Hayoung didn’t show up Namjoo would never mind the issue. She just wouldn’t go to the dinner. Or if she was nosey enough…she might mention it to Sehun when she saw him Sunday.

⸎⸎⸎⸎⸎

It was warmer now that florist shops were starting to stock up. On his way to and from lunch down the block Sehun started noticing the window filling up with color. Fresh plants blooming inside the building. Flowers displayed in baskets with cute handwritten signs. A smiley couple owned the store.

Today the door was propped open. The fresh scent of flowers stopped him on his way back to work. Shifting to admire the yellow poppies arranged in a clear vase. From above baby breaths drooped out of a green basket.

In his life he’d never given a flower to anyone. Not even his mother. Sehun thought about Namjoo showing up on his doorstep all pretty several days ago and felt a smile crawl over his lips. When he saw her again would she have a warm meal waiting for him?

He hoped there would be.

The mere thought of it enlightened him. His heart fluttered thinking about her food. Namjoo passing along a plate. Telling him to eat. Like it was normal and would always be between them. He so yearned for it.

Sehun’s attention caught when he realized there was a pair of eyes on the other side of the window. Nearly having a heart attack when the reflection smiled. Moving away the elder man who ran the shop with his wife appeared in the doorway.

Flashing him a grin, “Why, hello young man.” His silver mustache seemed to dance as he spoke.

Suddenly caught, Sehun became flustered. Not sure how to explain himself.

“I see you were looking at the flowers. We have a better selection inside.” The old man welcomed.

“I was just passing by,” Sehun explained.

A glint appeared in the elder man’s eye when he grinned. “If you saw something you like, you should get it. I’m pretty sure the receiver will love it coming from such a handsome man.”

Sehun flushed, embarrassed hearing someone say that to his face. Returning inside the store the old man disappeared from the doorway. Sehun hesitated stupidly. He could just walk away. Naturally he’d pass by the store on his way to lunch tomorrow anyway.

He entered the store. Refrigerators hummed around him where inside roses were kept fresh and dewy. Surrounding him were flowers hanging from the ceiling in baskets, a variety of flowers in numerous colors. Many he’d never seen before. Oddly shaped. Regular petaled flowers. Green stems that went on forever. He had no idea there were this many types of flowers it was overwhelming.

Behind a white counter the old man’s wife smiled warmly. “Is there anything particular you’re looking for today?”

Sehun blushed. Not exactly sure what had propelled him to come inside.

“I don’t know. I’m just looking around,” he replied with an awkward smile. He should have just walked away. What the hell was he doing looking around a florist shop.

There was no one he could give a flower to.

No one who would want one from him.

“Maybe I can help you.” She offered walking from around the counter toward him. “Are you looking for a bouquet? A single flower? A simple gift?”

His eyes danced over the assorted orchids in front of him. Colorful blooms arranged inside a translucent purple vase. So pretty.

Spotting the sample on the counter, he said, “I’ll get that.”

Sehun waited anxiously as the elder woman wrapped up the pink lilies in pretty paper. Throwing in assorted greens. Explaining, “I’ll give you two roses. It’ll compliment the lilies. Consider it a gift on the house.”

“Then…thanks.” His voice dimmed. Not sure what to think or say. Wasting money on a bouquet for no reason. The flowers would die in a few days. What was the point?

But look at him ridiculously here.

“So, you came. Buying flowers, huh?” the old man that he’d met earlier reappeared from wherever he’d gone. Taking off a pair of gloves, he asked, “What did you get?” Moving behind the counter he peeked at the lilies.

For some reason, Sehun grew shy.

“Pink lilies,” the old man beamed. Smiling, “Lilies are an eternal beauty. Yellow lilies are a symbol for happiness. Purple lilies mean grace. Tiger lilies are orange and often represents friendship.” His eyes twinkled, “I’ve heard pink lilies are a token for appreciation and admiration.”

The paper crinkled in his hands after he paid. Wondering if the old man could read his facial expression. If the old man knew he really had no point being here past his lunch period.

“Then uh…thanks,” Sehun said. When he walked out of the store, he really wished he hadn’t gone inside.

For two days the flowers sat in his car on the passenger seat. He actually did think about dropping by the restaurant. Leave the flowers with the part-time girl, but he didn’t. The farthest he got was to the building before turning around to walk away, because what would Namjoo think of him?

Sehun worried if it would make her uncomfortable. A man giving flowers to a woman usually meant he was attracted to her. Innately, it would be taken the wrong way.

What if Namjoo didn’t even want flowers? What if she didn’t like flowers? Especially coming from him…

Eventually, the leaves started drying up. Sending a pang through him for his stupidity whenever he looked at the bouquet. Amazingly, the flowers hadn’t yet died when he packed the car with Kihoon and his diaper bag Sunday.

“Kihoon,” Sehun called after taking him out of his booster seat and reached inside for his bag. “Do you want to carry something for daddy?”

Kihoon’s eyes went big, curious. They’d finally reached the restaurant after a slow drive Sunday afternoon. For some odd reason only Namjoo’s car was in the parking lot. He expected the cook to still be on his shift. Sehun wondered if he was just on a scheduled break.

“Be careful.” Sehun handed the flowers to Kihoon who gasped.

“Pwetty!” he exclaimed. Peering up at him bug-eyed, he asked, “For mommy?”

“Uh…well…” Sehun started, but Kihoon already darted away. Fear leapt through him when his son disappeared around the corner afraid he’d run into the street. Sehun chased after him. Coming to a pause when he saw the door caking shut and heard Kihoon inside the restaurant.

Clamping his eyes shut, Sehun sighed. Hesitating. Embarrassed. Damning himself. For sure knowing Kihoon had given him away. Probably telling Namjoo he’d bought the flowers for her. Sehun seriously didn’t know how he’d face her.

How would Namjoo look at him?

He’d gotten her flowers…

Don’t do it again he could imagine her saying. There’s no reason to. Don’t waste your money on things like these. Lets just worry about Kihoon.

Sehun’s heart lurched when the door opened and Namjoo glanced outside. “What are you doing?”

“Huh? Oh…uh…” his eyes immediately swept toward her hand. There was no bouquet. He wanted to ask where she put it.

“Come in.”

He hesitated. Looked at her again. Finally stepping forward he grabbed the door from her and walked inside. Smelling something familiar.

“Why’d you let Kihoon come by himself?” Namjoo asked.

Sehun looked for his son. Discovering him seated at a table holding a spoon. His mouth was already smeared with food. Then his eyes landed on the table where beside Kihoon’s plate of food was a slice of chocolate cake. A bribe from Namjoo to get him eating. Across from Kihoon was another oval plate with marinated meat plated over lettuce – a mix of onion, pepper, and a sauce Namjoo perfected.

Warmth seeped through him. Dispelling the shame he earlier carried. Sehun turned to look at Namjoo, but she didn’t meet his eyes. It didn’t matter. Happiness was starting to topple him from inside out and he didn’t want her to see.

Sehun’s eyes cut toward the kitchen where the machines hummed. “Is the cook here?”

Walking by, Namjoo answered, “I let him leave early.”

“Then, it’s just you?” Sehun watched her sit down with their son. Trying to keep his galloping heart in control.

“We’re not busy today, so I can handle the place myself,” Namjoo told. Grabbing a napkin, she dabbed Kihoon’s lips.

Keeping his calm, Sehun joined them. Praying he didn’t look too eager. Namjoo hadn’t said she cooked, but he knew she had. That was all he cared about.

Mixing up the food he took a bite. Relishing in the taste. The familiarity of it to his tongue. The happiness trembled through him. He couldn’t stop grinning, so he lowered his head some more. Hoping it would conceal his face. Sehun didn’t want Namjoo to know how excited he was. Right now, he was even happier than Kihoon.

“Thanks,” Namjoo said, “for the flowers.”

His hand froze midair. Sehun had to look up this time. To verify he was hearing right. Namjoo held his eyes just for a split second.

“Do you want more? There’s more in the kitchen.” Stealing his plate, she hurriedly disappeared from the table.

The corner of his mouth inched up higher. He turned to look in the direction of the kitchen then turned to Kihoon whose lips was creamed with chocolate.

“I win,” Sehun ecstatically said.

Kihoon eyed him puzzled. Laughing underneath his breath, Sehun reached over to wipe off his mouth with a thumb. Never minding his father Kihoon continued to smash the rest of the cake into his mouth. Dismissing the crumbs dripping down his shirt.

Namjoo returned with another full plate for him, which he was guaranteed to shove down his throat like Kihoon his cake. This might be the only time Namjoo cooked for him. He may have to wait half an eternity to have another meal cooked by her.

“Hayoung and her husband came by.” Namjoo broke the mood.

His hand froze midair again. He looked across the table at her. No longer under the mood’s enchantment, Namjoo played with her fingers.

“What did they say?” Sehun wondered picking at his food more slowly.

“About a dinner of some sort.”

“Because he got promoted,” Sehun quietly said.

“Oh…you knew…” Namjoo gazed at the table.

“Did he ask you to go?” He was poking at his food now.

“I’m not going,” Namjoo said. He stared at his dish. “There’s no reason for me to go. I wanted to find Hayoung and tell her, but I couldn’t find her.”

“Why?” he asked. The words shot out of his mouth before he could rationally think. When she locked with his eyes, he wished he hadn’t been insensitive.

Asking Namjoo to cook a meal for him was as far as he should go. Troubling her further with things he yearned for wasn’t necessary. He had promised her mother he wouldn’t reenter her life. Ruin future possibilities for her.

That was why he had signed the papers.

Why he never met her more than just once in a week.

Sehun didn’t stop by her restaurant just to eat.

His duty was only to drop Kihoon off and leave. He shouldn’t give her flowers. Beg for a warm meal. Or that Namjoo wouldn’t distance herself too much from him.

He shouldn’t.

He really shouldn’t.

But Sehun couldn’t stop being greedy.

He was in shambles. Coming here embarrassed and worried about how Namjoo would react to the flowers he’d bought on a whim. He had wanted to give them to her, but didn’t know how. Cowardly handing them off to his son to complete the deed instead, because he couldn’t face her rejection.

At every corner he wanted to run into Namjoo and also away from her. Aware she had already gone through hell because of him. He owed her a peaceful life. Far away from his family. The only way she could exist in grace was without him.

Sehun knew going to Doyoon’s celebration meant his parents would be there. No doubt the brother-in-law and Hayoung had met with his parents first. His mother must have screamed in joy, because Hayoung’s husband was so accomplishing. What a life they lived she would exclaim.

She would sneer when she saw Namjoo again. If they ever saw each other, would Namjoo’s wounds reopen?

Was she still hurt from all she had endured because of him?

If he still recalled everything, would Namjoo not think of it from time to time? Did it make her sad? Was it painful like it was for him?

Yet their marriage had consisted of him, Kihoon, and her. Would Namjoo still think about the good times they had?

Sehun wanted to think she held those memories dear. Like he.

“I want you to go.” Sehun bravely held her eyes. “So, go with me.”


***This chapter is longer because I realized I didn't complete the full 7 pages for last chapter so I had to extend this chapter an extra page :/ I have to keep up my count so my chapters appear evenly posted, but lesson learned I'm never writing 8 pages again