The First Time

The Flowers We Saw

⸎⸎⸎⸎⸎

Sneezing, Namjoo grabbed a towel to wipe her nose. Returning to washing dishes after soaping her hand up.

“Are you eating?” Namjoo asked. Kihoon was still seated at her kitchen table with the television blaring on his right. She didn’t like him watching TV while eating. It was a distraction, but Sehun let him get away with it.

Darn him.

That morning Kihoon had thrown a tantrum while she cooked noodles for him. She was mean. She was bad. She was no longer his favorite. He wanted his daddy. He wailed for six minutes straight. Hiccupping. Face turning red. Eyes swelling.

Namjoo gave in. He immediately stopped.

Half twisting around, she asked, “You’re not playing with your food, are you?”

“I full.” He replied.

Turning the faucet off Namjoo stepped over to peer over Kihoon’s shoulder. His plate wasn’t even half eaten.

“You didn’t eat anything,” she scolded.

“I don’t want eat anymore!” Kihoon whined.

“You finish that right now, young mister,” Namjoo strictly ordered.

He pouted. Lips curling down making the saddest face as the waterworks began again.

“Mommy!” he wailed. Crying now and sitting there slumped. “Don’t want eat!”

Namjoo sighed. Feeling her head threatening to blow. Pulling out the chair adjacent to him, she grabbed his green fork. “Two bites.”

Kihoon sniffed heartbroken.

“Two bites,” Namjoo bargained, “that’s all. You have to eat, ok? Just two.”

Seeing her twirl the noodles with the fork he opened his oval mouth. Namjoo fed him more than necessary. Clueless about her trick he ate everything without complaint. After two bites, he hurriedly slid off the chair and dashed into the living room. Planting himself right in front of the screen. Sighing, Namjoo stuffed herself with his leftovers in order not to waste the food. Stubborn Kihoon ate sometimes. Other times he didn’t want to. She couldn’t understand him even if she was his mother.

Making sure he was behaving, Namjoo focused on the dishes. Checking her phone for any messages once she dried her hands. There was none, which meant everything was going well at the restaurant. She wasn’t planning to stop in until later in the day and bring Kihoon with her. Once the part-timer went home, she would help with cleanup and orders if there were any late visitors.

Sinking into the couch Namjoo leaned against the arm rest to watch the children’s show with her son. Noticing her presence Kihoon climbed onto the couch to sit beside her. Linking her arm around him they cozied up together.

Like Sehun she had found her own place. An upgrade from the tiny apartment they had lived in together when Kihoon was younger. There were two rooms. A master bedroom and a tinier room she had decorated for her son. The toddler sized bed was a gift from her parents for their grandson. A shelf of children’s books decorated his room with toys and plushies. Most nights he slept with her, but she was starting to train him to sleep alone. Never locking her door in case he needed her.

Her apartment was spacious compared to the one-bedroom cubicle she used to call home. Two sliding doors led out to the balcony she always locked. Nothing about the kitchen was perfect – the wallpapers were scarred and consisted of air bubbles, there were un-erasable marks on the gray counters, but it provided everything she needed. Just enough space for a table and the cookingware her mother gave her. All stashed away in the cupboards and drawers. The living room was opposite the kitchen with a three seated couch and her television set, also a hand me down from her parents.

Where she lacked her parents helped pick up. After the divorce she had stayed with them shortly while searching for her own place. The need to be independent and live on her own had grown greatly since she got married. It was them who had put down the deposit for her apartment, which Namjoo gratefully accepted. Being an only child brought its own kind of privilege. And whenever needed her parents looked after Kihoon.

Once he fell asleep Namjoo turned the television off and busied on lunch. They would leave for the restaurant after eating. Return before nine. The only end of the bargain Sehun had kept with her was to put their son to sleep by ten. Kihoon had gotten pretty good with the schedule they’d laid out. Namjoo planned to keep it that way.

Bundling up, they left after a warm meal. Dashing into the cold toward her car hand in hand. Singing the alphabet during the drive. Cheery now Kihoon obediently waited for her after helping him out of the backseat. Taking her hand as they turned toward the restaurant.

“Hi, Kihoon!” the part-timer, Eunkyung, greeted using that famous high pitch of hers.

Backing up shyly Kihoon bumped into her leg. Peeking up into Namjoo’s face for guidance.

Patting his head, Namjoo said, “Can you hand me his coloring book please?”

Leading Kihoon to the table in the corner she ped his coat and helped him settle down. “I have cake, mommy?”

“Right here, kiddo,” Junhee called out walking over with a tiny plate.

Namjoo turned around. Giving him an eyeful. Kihoon wasn’t supposed to have his sugar boost today, but she wasn’t about to go off on the cook in front of her son. Full well aware that her employees were soft on Kihoon from the moment they saw him. And she hoped being around others might help him become social. Unlike her Kihoon seemed like more of an introvert. Always shy and rather play alone than with others. She wondered if it was because he was an only child, but she had heard from Sehun’s parents that Sehun used to be just like him. Look at him now. Sehun hardly seemed the introvert.

Maybe time would help Kihoon develop a more outgoing personality.

Gently touching her son’s back, she said, “Say thank you uncle.”

“Thanky, uncle,” Kihoon softly murmured without a bit of eye contact. His lips drooped eager to stuff the cake into his mouth in one go when she wasn’t looking.

Cupping the back of Kihoon’s head, Namjoo assured, “Mommy will be right back, ok?”

Giving a nod to Eunkyung to keep an eye on him she headed into the kitchen to check on the status of the food. Not even two minutes passed when Eunkyung poked her head through the door.

“Um…boss?” she called out.

“Do you need to leave?” Namjoo wondered from the walk-in cooler where she was currently conducting a check on the meat. If the food spoiled her menu was as good as ruined.

“No,” Eunkyung fumbled with her hands, “there’s someone here to see you.”

Recognizing the uncertainty on her face, Namjoo stepped out. Brushing past her into the lobby where stood a woman she didn’t recognize.

“Can I help you?” Namjoo asked.

The stranger was professionally dressed. Knee length skirt. Chiffon blouse. High end blazer. Black trench coat left ed. The choice of clothing accentuated her body line very attractively. She had neat taste even her makeup was on point. Not exaggeratedly done but with just the perfect touch to flaunt her features. A flashy leather purse hung off her angled arm where in her hand was an iPad.

The woman was a beauty if not a model.

“Yes, if you don’t mind, I’m writing an article about local restaurants.” Prepared she offered her business card. Accepting, Namjoo glanced at the familiar company logo while she introduced herself. “My name is Han Seol. I work for the Seoul Press. If we could sit for a while, I won’t take much of your time.”

“Mommy,” Kihoon called out upon seeing her. She turned to see that his mouth was smeared with cake frosting. His hands were a different story.

Namjoo swiveled back around to give her answer, but was cut off when the woman shrieked. “Why, isn’t this Kihoon?!”

Striding past her the woman walked over to her son. Slightly bending her knees. Wide-eyed Kihoon stared at her flustered.

“Do you remember me?” Seol asked.

Kihoon didn’t reply.

“I work with your daddy,” Seol reminded.

“Mommy.” Kihoon squeaked.

Hearing this Seol immediately turned to look at her. Straightening, she asked, “You’re his mother?”

Discovering an opening, Kihoon slid from his chair, squeezed past the woman, and ran to her. Hugging her leg.

“Yes.” Namjoo answered.

The woman’s eyes fluctuated. The moment broke off when the door burst open. Each differently surprised when Sehun stepped inside.

⸎⸎⸎⸎⸎

For once it wasn’t raining. Sehun walked down the block to eat out for lunch. Enjoying the chill for a minute or two and then wished he hadn’t come out at all. More than half of his coworkers were still missing by the time he returned shivering from the cold. Thinking he should have grabbed a cup of coffee when he passed the café on the way back. Regretting his late decision, he turned toward the snack station. Made himself a cheap cup of instant coffee to drink and warm up.

Finally sitting at his desk with a steaming cup Sehun his computer. Skimmed through his email. Replied to what was necessary. He was waiting to hear back from the editor before heading out to work on his next piece. In the meantime, he would write up an update on the fire downtown that had demolished a bar and the apartment above it. All that was left of it at the end of the block was smoldering ash. Buildings across it had turned black from the scorching flames.

Midway through his work the company phone tucked into the left corner of his desk started ringing. He picked up with a greeting he had perfected.

“Sehun!” it was Seol. “Thank god you’re in!”

His eyes jot to the end of the room where her desk was. It was currently empty. Most likely she was out on an assignment. Meaning there was no reason for her to call him just to chitchat. If any other male coworker knew she called just him he’d be grinded, because every guy he worked with wanted to do her at least once.

“Should you be calling?” he asked. “I thought you were busy.”

“Oh, I am. The thing is,” she started, “I was in such a hurry I forgot to bring my camera with me. It’s really important. I need it for this article.”

“You can’t come back for it?” he asked.

“I’m currently stuck in traffic,” she sounded stressed. He took it she wasn’t lying. “Please, please, please? I’ll buy you a meal next time.”

“Where’s your camera?” he questioned.

“It’s on my desk. You’ll see it when you get there,” she explained.

Getting up he headed toward the end of the room. Shifting the phone from one ear to the other. Glancing down he easily spotted the black Nikon. “Ok, I see it.”

“That’s perfect! If you don’t mind, could you bring it to my location? I’m already halfway there.”

“Where are you headed?” he wondered.

“It’s a place called Lilac Palace.”

His gaze shifted up. Landing on a random space on the creamy wall.

“Isn’t the name silly?” she commented. “It doesn’t sound attractive at all. I wonder what kind of menu they serve there.” When he didn’t reply she called out, “Hello? Are you still there?”

“I’ll meet you there.” Hanging up he lowered the phone. Eyes on the wall clock this time. It was close to two. Namjoo wouldn’t be at home with Kihoon right now.

Grabbing the camera, he hurried toward his desk. Snatching his coat on the way out. And hopefully, he would arrive there before Seol.

In fact, he was a little late thanks to the lunch rush. Aware he appeared pathetic panting in the doorway. Sehun hadn’t meant to run from his car to the restaurant, but his legs moved faster than he was thinking.

“Daddy!” Kihoon ran to him. Grinning happily. At once Sehun noted the frosting around his mouth. Cake crumbs on his hands. Some of it had gotten on his sleeves.

He about sighed. Namjoo had given him a freebie cake again. The words became lost in transition when he recalled why he was there. Namjoo’s gaze slid up from the camera he was carrying to his face.

Usually they never met more than necessary during the week. Seeing each other every Sunday only when the other came for Kihoon. This was probably the first time he was seeing her a second time after handing Kihoon over.

“You made it!” Seol interrupted.

“Oh…right.” Walking over he handed Seol the camera.

Looking at Namjoo, she said, “If we could talk over here.” Smiling at Kihoon, “Bye, cutie.”

“Lets wash up.” He lifted Kihoon up. Found his way to the bathroom and placed Kihoon down onto the corner of the sink.

“I eat cake.” Kihoon announced the obvious. Giddy from the sweet he had devoured.

Wetting his hand, he rubbed away the cake around Kihoon’s mouth. “So you had cake, huh? Was it good?”

“Yummy!”

“But you’re so messy!” Sehun teased tickling him.

Kihoon curled up giggling happily. Turning the faucet off Sehun dried Kihoon off with some paper towel. Namjoo was still at the table talking with Seol when he carried his son out. Letting them be he discovered the table with Kihoon’s coloring book and sat down with him.

“I can get that.” Eunkyung hurried over to fetch the tiny plate. “Can I get you anything?”

“I’m good, thanks.” Once she walked away Sehun watched Kihoon messily color the butterfly in the book.

After two to three scribbles of blue Kihoon threw his hands up. “I done!”

“You’re done?” he asked. Glancing down at the sheet. Exclaiming, “Wow!”

“Pwetty.” Leaning against the table Kihoon complimented his own work.

“Can daddy keep this?” he asked.

“Mmm…” Kihoon thought for a long lingering minute. “Ok.”

He breathed a tiny laugh. “Kihoon, you’re drooling.” Wiping the slobber with his sleeve, Sehun patted his back. Tearing the paper from the book, Sehun said, “Why don’t you color this one for mommy?”

“Ok!” Excitedly grabbing a green crayon Kihoon urgently zipped his hand back and forth.

Five and a half pages later Seol finally finished interviewing Namjoo, took some shots of the restaurant, and shook her hand thanking her for her time.

Coming over, she asked, “Are you heading back to the company? If not, why don’t we grab some drinks?”

Kihoon glanced at him. “Daddy go?”

Standing a width away Namjoo said, “Kihoon, say bye bye to daddy. He has to go back to work.”

Making his popular sad face, Kihoon pouted tugging his heart strings. Walking over Namjoo reached for their son, but he stubbornly twisted away.

“Kihoon,” she called agitated. “Your dad has to go now.”

His lips downturned and tears threatened to swell in his eyes. Bawling, “Daddy!”

Patting his head Sehun turned to Seol. “Why don’t you go first? I’m going to stay for a bit.”

“All right then. I’ll see you tomorrow.” Seol said. Leaning down to sniffing Kihoon who paid her no heed, “Bye Kihoon.” Then at Namjoo, “Thanks again.”

Once the door closed, Namjoo said, “You don’t have to stay.” She tried to pick Kihoon up again, but he refused to let her touch him. Leaning so far over his chair clinging onto Sehun. Hiccupping into his shirt.

Soothingly patting his back, Sehun said, “He’s probably full and wants to sleep.” Lifting Kihoon onto his lap to cradle him, he pulled out Kihoon’s previously occupied chair. “Sit.”

The door whished open and Eunkyung called out, “Welcome!” to two young girls who scurried in.

Whimpering, Kihoon buried his face into his shirt. Sighing, Namjoo relented and sat. Fixating Kihoon’s neck onto his arm. Saying, “You’re going to make his neck hurt.”

“He’s fine.” Sehun muttered. He watched Namjoo turn to the mess on the table and start to organize the two dozen crayons into the plastic bin they had come from. He slapped down the sheet of paper with the butterfly when she touched it.

“That’s mine.” He told. “Yours is in the book.”

She gave him a raise of the brow before letting go. Namjoo leaned back into the chair after finishing. A warm ray of sunlight struck the window as they sat in silence. Kihoon deep asleep and settled in his arms.

“I was surprised to see you,” Namjoo started. “So, you work together, huh?”

“She’s the mascot of our team.” Sehun told.

“Are you dating?” Namjoo wondered. “She asked you for drinks.”

“We aren’t.”

“I would.” Namjoo glanced at him with an amused smile. “She’s hot.”

He breathed a laugh. It was true Han Seol was pretty. What made it better was the appeal she had. His world might light on fire if he touched her. Every inch of control demolished like the fire downtown.

But he knew better.

He had bigger responsibilities than imagining scenarios in his head of a woman he worked with.

“Kihoon probably isn’t ready for us to start seeing other people.” Sehun said arms securely around their sleeping son. “Come to think of it, this is the first time we’re seeing each other in one week.”

“Wow, it actually is.” Namjoo turned to glance at him.

Her eyes shone still amused whether it be because he was right or because of earlier. They grinned slightly entertained before turning from each other. Sehun pressed his lips together to put out the smile, because he was more captivated by knowing the fact than making light of it.