Fallen Ones

The Flowers We Saw

Once she finished smearing medicine over his injuries Namjoo helped him put a shirt on. Sehun hissed and groaned from the pain so much they decide to forgo the shirt. Grabbing one of the button downs from the closet she helped him slip it on and clipped the buttons. Because there was no way to conceal his face, they decide to build up a lie when they left the bedroom.

Kihoon stared wide-eyed. The model truck dropped from his hands landing with a thump on the floor. His jaw split open and frozen in the living room started bawling. From fear or sadness that his dad was injured Namjoo couldn’t decipher.

“Daddy!” he screamed. In an even higher pitch, “Daddy!!!!”

Rushing over Namjoo picked him up. Hugging him. “It’s ok. It’s ok. Daddy just fell. See?” Namjoo twisted so Kihoon could look at Sehun.

“Daddy’s ok. See?” Sehun smiled straining his aching facial muscles.

Kihoon still wailed. Stretching his arms out to be held by his father. Namjoo hesitated, aware how badly it’d hurt for Sehun. He took their son anyway. Managing to hold him as he withheld his hiss of pain.

“Sit down.” Namjoo whispered. Hurrying into the kitchen she searched for painkillers and a glass of water. Some pudding just in case because medicine without food was bad for the stomach.

Sehun was sitting with Kihoon on his lap. Sniffing now but the moisture still remained in his eyes. Sehun let Kihoon touch the injuries on his face before he drew back scared.

“Why daddy hurt?” Kihoon pouted.

“Daddy was clumsy and fell,” Sehun explained. “That’s why you should always look where you’re walking.”

“Don’t want daddy hurt,” Kihoon hugged him. Leaning into him he rested his head on Sehun’s shoulder.

Namjoo was wary. About to tell him off when she sat down but Sehun shook his head. “What’s that?”

“Medicine.” She explained and held up the cup of pudding. “Food.”

He scoffed happily. Despite looking like a rotten fruit, he was still eye catching. “Feed me.”

Namjoo rolled her eyes but peeled back the film of the pudding. Feeding him a spoonful then another until he finished the package.

“Stay here,” she advised after he chugged down the glass of water and took the medicine. “I’ll make dinner.”

Halfway through, Sehun carried Kihoon into his room. Their son falling asleep in the solace of his father’s arms. After eating she washed up with Sehun. Helping him wash the blood off and reapplied the rest of her medical ointment. Tomorrow she’d grab some more from the pharmacy and more bandages.

The medicine had kicked in, so Sehun didn’t wince once. By the time morning rolled around it’d probably be a different story. His body would hurt like he’d been stoned.

“How are you going to go to work like that?” Namjoo asked when she turned the lights off and joined him in bed.

“I’ll just say I fell.”

She scoffed. “No one would believe that from the look of your injuries. Just stay home.”

“I don’t want to hide,” Sehun quietly said.

Succumbing to the melancholic mood, Namjoo stared up at the ceiling.

“I’m going to plaster his face all over the paper.” Sehun was set on his resolve. “I’m going to tell the whole world he’s a wife beater. Make him lose his job. Make him apologize to you and my family. To Hayoung. I’m going to make him so ashamed he can’t lift his head up.”

She smiled a bit. The first time she was seeing him rage this hard for something he was standing up for.

“Do that.” She encouraged.

Even if Doyoon was well known in his company she hoped they had the galls to stand up for justice. They wouldn’t prohibit employing an abuser who tarnished company image. Because if the company went as far as protecting Doyoon’s honor, Namjoo was afraid the outcome wouldn’t look so serene for them.

“Can you kiss me?” She turned upon his request.

“Are you absurd?” Namjoo asked. “You’re hurt.”

“I can’t feel anything right now,” Sehun grinned. “And I want to stop thinking about that bastard, so can you kiss me.”

Why did Sehun have the ability to swoon her left and right? Keeping her there right under his thumb.

Shifting closer she gave the corner of his mouth a peck. Felt his hand touch her waist to urge her. Carefully climbing over him Namjoo leaned over him with knees splayed around his hips. Kissing him. Drowning in his intimate touches. His hand sliding down her upper thigh, back up to touch her behind. Remaining careful not to probe his injuries she only kissed his mouth, rubbing her s against his chest. Gently settling her middle on him and teasingly grind for some friction.

“I shouldn’t have gotten beaten up.” Sehun regretted.

Namjoo laughed rolling onto her side.

“What? It’s over already?” he whined.

“You’re hurt, Sehun.” She reminded.

“I can’t feel anything,” he repeated. Flipping onto his side he slid an arm around her. Urging her to face him. Tucking his leg between hers to emanate pressure between her thighs, he begged, “Lets make out.”

“We’re not doing it, ok?” she gave up when he pressed his leg further up against her.

“I know.” He smiled joyfully.

Hugging his leg Namjoo kissed him. Tasting his tongue. Savoring the leftover taste of mouthwash. Panting into the other’s mouth as she rubbed against his leg. Being careful not to use too much strength as she held him. Felt his hands fondle her under her shirt. From her back to her s.

When she woke up Sehun was in pain. Laying on her back Namjoo sighed. “I told you it’d hurt. You should have just held yourself back.”

“It would have hurt either way,” he complained. “Can you get me some medicine?”

Sighing, Namjoo got up. Setting a glass and some tablets near him before going to wash up. After breakfast she helped him slip into a brand new shirt.

“You’re really going into work like this?” Namjoo asked buttoning his shirt. “Just stay home.”

“No, I want to go in,” Sehun was determined. “I want to show everyone what a bastard he is, so my whole team will write about him.”

Namjoo tried not to roll her eyes. “They’re just going to say you’re a troublemaker. You started the fight.”

“He beat my sister,” Sehun gruffly pointed out. “And he threatened you. It’s fair game.”

“Geez,” she breathed. Stepping back once she finished, “Come home if it hurts too much. Ok?”

Touching the back of her head, he smiled softly, “I’ll be fine.”

They drove separately to work. No surprise visit from Doyoon. No Seol. Sehun’s mother didn’t barge in to chat her ear off. Just her customers – new and some regulars. Kihoon behaved by his table in the corner, so she didn’t worry much about him.

Sehun called late afternoon just to talk. Reporting he was feeling all right, how was her restaurant and was it busy. They planned for dinner and he’d stop by later in the evening.

The lunch rush died and Eunkyung reported for work. Now it was time for students to make their visit. Adults signing off from work to grab a quick bite and return home to soak in the night. The restaurant phone went off. Eunkyung was busy with counter duty, so it left Namjoo as the only available person.

That day she really regretted picking up the phone.

It was Sehun’s father. Sobbing echoed very strongly in the background. Hayoung was in the ER and had requested for her. Come right away. Please – a respectful word with begging connotation.

Silence flared through her. Her heart thudded violently. Namjoo glanced up as she hung up. Staring at the sunrays leaking in from the side windows, so no customer felt suffocated inside her tiny restaurant.

“Boss?” Eunkyung worriedly called out. Anxiously looking at her from where she stood behind the computer.

“Can you watch Kihoon for a bit?” Namjoo asked. “I have to go somewhere.”

Her consciousness fazed in and out. Her subconsciousness floating away as she sped down the road toward the hospital. Confusion splurged through her as she sought for the ER station. Adrenaline pumping through her so fast she couldn’t think straight.

Everything surrounding her was either a block or blur of flying colors. Left alone to find her own way she ran up to the front desk and was directed down a hall, where she ran.

Hospital, the true signal that something had turned wrong.

Hospital, the darkest sign…

Though Hayoung was married when she tied the knot with Sehun, his sister had been a kind soul. Welcoming her into the family. Sharing funny stories of Sehun with her. Buying Kihoon his first set of clothes before he arrived. Some more baby supplies as her belly grew rounder and Hayoung visited when there were events going on.

The only one in the family besides Sehun who had liked her. Namjoo couldn’t spell with words how thankful she was for her. For helping her hang in there longer. For being a loveable aunt to her son.

Namjoo owed her heaps for her friendliness.

Skidding to a halt when she saw Sehun’s weeping mother and trodden father in a private corridor. Near the surgery corner. Hayoung was in a room being prepared to undergo treatment.

Her hands shook, because she was afraid. Not because of Sehun’s parents but for Hayoung.

Gulping, Namjoo eased toward them. Sehun’s father looked rather old. His face creased with worry. His posture was not of an honorable elder, but he was slumped. Elbows on his knees. Hands around his head as if to block out the noise of the heart monitor in the room across from them.

“H…how…how is she?” Namjoo quietly asked.

Sehun’s mother didn’t even look at her upon her approach. Just continued crying and wiping her nose with a tissue.

Sehun’s father shook his head. Turning Namjoo looked around for Sehun. Wondered where he was. Catching sight of the door halfway shut Namjoo stepped toward it. Peeking inside. There was a nurse in a hospital outfit with a logo of the hospital name on her left . Her hair was knotted back. She was currently typing something into the computer in the corner of the room. Namjoo hesitated when she sensed her.

“Hi, there,” the nurse greeted with a kind smile. “Are you here to see her?”

Namjoo glanced toward the bed currently shielded by a privacy curtain.

Sliding into the room, Namjoo asked, “How is her condition?”

“We’re still running some tests,” the nurse left the computer to talk to her. “As soon as the doctor is prepared, we’ll be taking her in for surgery. Right now, her condition is pretty critical. There is hemorrhaging in her brain.” Her eyes darted warily to the side, as if aware the patient was listening to them. “We can only hope for the best.”

Namjoo’s heart dropped.

What did that mean?

She couldn’t ask before the nurse touched her arm. “I’ll leave you two to talk. You have a few minutes until the doctor arrives.”

Stepping out she closed the door. Anxiety flushed through her. Suddenly the beeping heart monitor turned into a ghoulish scream. Growing louder. Shaking her heart with imminent fear.

Namjoo couldn’t move. Step forth.

Pressing her dry lips together she took one step at a time. Moving around the curtain encircling the bed. Twisting away with a squeak when she saw her on the bed. Covered in a blanket. Face stained in black and blue and dried blood. Squeezing her eyes shut Namjoo gripped her shirt.

Hayoung whose eyes had been closed opened when Namjoo turned around. There was a bandage wrapped around her bleeding head. A straight line cut by her eye. Her nose was swollen. Another dark purple bruise that caused the corner of to swell. Where else there were injuries was concealed by the blanket.

The sheer horror of Doyoon’s abuse stung her horridly. Covering with a shaky hand, Namjoo’s eyes welled with tears.

“You’re here?” Hayoung somehow smiled although her eyes shone heartbroken words. As if sensing her emotions her eyes watered up, too.

“What happened?” Namjoo cried. She looked down when Hayoung’s hand held hers. They hadn’t escaped the brutality. Covered in cuts but not as bad as the rest of her body.

“Why are you crying?” Hayoung asked, which only caused her to cry harder.

“I’m sorry,” Namjoo apologized tearfully. The moment she knew, she shouldn’t have waited for Sehun. She shouldn’t have hung back in fear of meddling in Sehun’s family’s affairs.

She should have just dived in to help Hayoung from the prison of her family’s values. What did their rightful rules matter when it came to a person’s safety from her own husband? If it couldn’t save a life, what the hell were the rules for?!

“Namjoo,” Hayoung’s voice came out weakly, “why did you divorce my brother?”

Blinking the tears down, Namjoo asked, “Why are you talking about this?”

“I’m,” a sorrowful tear slid from the corner of her eye, disappearing into her hair, “sorry.”

“Hayoung…”

in a quivering breath, Hayoung heaved a horribly sounding sob. “I had no idea. I didn’t know you would go so far. I’m so sorry.”

Reverberating with her agony, Namjoo cried harder. “What are you talking about?”

“Mom hated you, but your mother hated Sehun more.” Hayoung’s chest shook. “They came up with the divorce. Mom asked me to help.” Clamping her eyes squeezed more tears down her face. Shaking her head just barely, “But I wouldn’t.”

Namjoo nearly felt the urge to peer over her shoulder at the closed door. To the hall where Sehun’s mother was weeping for her daughter, the golden child.

“They knew as long as she hurt you, you would give up.” Hayoung told. “You were broken, Namjoo, and it worked.” She sobbed. “I thought sooner or later, you’d get back together.” Her voice became a broken squeal. “Why’d you wait so long?”

“W…what?” was all that dropped from her lips.

Hayoung hiccupped so loudly that it shook half her body. Gritting her teeth in pain she let go of her hand. There was a knock on the door. The doctor had arrived.

Getting a hold of herself, Hayoung brushed her fingers. “Tell Sehun I said bye. Take care of him, ok?”

The doctor started speaking. Two accompanying nurses asked her to give room. Their words didn’t transmit through her brain. Then Hayoung was wheeled out of the room. Her mom and dad rushing to walk with her until they reached the surgery room.

Abandoned, Namjoo peered down at the hand Hayoung had last clung to. Tears dripped past staining the touch.

Once more feeling her world break apart.

⸎⸎⸎⸎⸎

Gossip vibrated around him all morning. Maybe Seol’s boyfriend beat him up. Was he having problems with his ex? A new girlfriend perhaps?

A headache hammered his skull the entire day.

To save face, Sehun stayed in for lunch. Lounging around in the snack lounge sitting alone with his stomach cramping and crying.

“My god, who beat you up so bad?” Seol joined him. A paper bag landed on the table. She handed over half a sandwich she’d purchased from the restaurant several buildings down. At least someone had the decency to be kind.

“Thanks.” He murmured unwrapping the sandwich hungrily.

“You’re so pitiful I can’t even ask you to buy me food,” Seol commented.

“My brother-in-law.” Sehun muttered.

Placing her more extravagant meal onto the table, Seol paused. “Who?”

“My brother-in-law,” Sehun spoke louder.

“Why’d you fight with him?” She continued pulling out a fork.

“He beat my sister.” Sehun took a big bite.

Seol paused again.

“He went to Namjoo’s restaurant to threaten her,” Sehun gnawed angrily at the mention of it. “So, I went to beat him up. I’m going to tear his apart. I’m going to put him in the paper. Smear his picture everywhere, so everyone knows what he looks like.” He fisted a hand accidently crushing the sandwich and groaning the next second. “Ah…crap.”

“You’re going all out.” Seol stated.

“I’m going to make it so no other woman wants him and no one will accept him,” Sehun gritted his teeth. “I’ll ing drag him.”

His phone beeped interrupting his rant. Reaching for it he saw his father’s name. Nearly groaned.

“Hold on a sec.” Getting up he walked into the hallway, wondering what this was about.

After answering he didn’t return to the table.


***There we have it. Both their mothers conspired the divorce. She wanted to see Namjoo to tell her this, because she was the one who gave Sehun the divorce papers. The tragedy mentioned in the forewords is Hayoung's passing. In an ironic way, the one Sehun's mother constantly praised lived a horribly masked life while the child's life she destroyed goes on to follow his heart for a happily life. Who won, who lost? Who's heartfelt values truly mattered?

***so we have it. Both their mothers drove her to that end. Her mom allowing mistreatment from Sehun's mom in order to get what they both wanted: the end of their children's marriage