Time Changes

The Flowers We Saw

Namjoo was still dead asleep when he woke up. All he did was lay there watching her. His heart was full. There was nothing more he could ask for.

Reaching over he straightened her head so she wouldn’t wake up with a strained neck. Namjoo smacked her lips annoyed but she didn’t wake. He smiled amused. More than that he was content with happiness. Been so long since he’d seen her like this.

Since there was no time to waste, he pushed himself up. Now that it was Monday again, he had to go in for work. Grabbing a change of clothes, he went to wash up. Kihoon was still asleep, so he didn’t bother him. Later in the day Namjoo would most likely drop him off at her parents’. He wondered if he should go see her during lunch. Maybe he’d wait until after work then the three of them could all come home like the family they were. Thinking of it made his heart flutter.

Halfway through breakfast preparation Namjoo finally woke up sleepy eyed. She glanced at him just once before closing the door to the bathroom. Sehun grinned.

This was normal. Just like it used to be.

“Done?” he asked when she stepped out appearing fresh with hair knotted back. Saying nothing Namjoo stepped toward him and, like yesterday, put her arm around him. Resting her head on his shoulder.

“You didn’t go home?” she asked.

“I’ll stop by later for more clothes,” Sehun told. “If you’re heading in early, I can drop you off.”

“It’s ok. I’ll go in the afternoon.”

“What about Kihoon?”

“He’s coming with me.”

The corner of his mouth slid up. “Really?”

“Why?” lifting her head up she looked at him curious.

“Nothing.” He grinned and pinched her cheek. Complaining Namjoo moved away withdrawing her arm from around him.

“What the heck.” She touched her face.

They turned when the door opened and Kihoon appeared in the doorway rubbing his eyes.

“You woke up?” Namjoo baby called.

“Mommy…” he whined scurrying toward her.

“It’s ok.” Namjoo pulled him up into her arms. Softly patting his bottom as he buried his face into her shoulder. “You slept for a long time.”

She gestured for him to watch the food before walking off with Kihoon to wash him up. Sehun watched the bathroom door close. Thinking again how this was normal. Their son always coming for his mother first.

Midway through breakfast Kihoon abandoned his food to go play with his toys and watch the television. He cleared the dishes with Namjoo after they finished. Musing over the fact they were doing this together. Just the way they used to.

“What?” Namjoo asked wiping the table clean with a damp cloth.

“What?” he asked.

“You’ve been snickering to yourself all morning.” Namjoo frowned at him.

Stacking the rest of the plates together, he said, “Nothing.”

He could feel her staring after him as he wheeled away to drop the dishes into the sink. It didn’t take Namjoo long to follow him.

“Move,” she shoved him aside, “I can wash them.”

He scoffed. “You’re cold.”

“You should get going.” Namjoo turned the faucet on. “It’s getting late.”

“I can stay a few minutes.”

She glanced at him. “It’s fine. Just go. I’ll see you later.”

“Hearing you say that is different,” Sehun said enthralled.

“What’s different?”

“It’s been a long time.” He softly smiled. Leaning down to give her a peck on the cheek, he bid his farewell, “Then, I’ll see you later.”

Five steps away Namjoo called him. “Sehun.” He swiveled. “Your shirt is wrinkled.”

He tilted his head down to see the creases in his button down. Foolishly grinning, “I guess it is.”

“I have space in my closet,” Namjoo dashed her eyes away shyly. Then back to him, “Just hang your shirts in there next time. You’ll look unprofessional.”

This time, he smiled more broadly. “Yea? I’ll remember that.”

Lifting his hand up to give her a wave Sehun hurried toward Kihoon. Forcing him into a hug then slipped into his shoes and left with a full heart. Arriving to work overjoyed. He would be going home to Namjoo later and that was enough to make up for any bad thing that could happen today.

“Well, good morning,” Seol greeted.

“Oh…hey,” he smiled and turned back to watching for the elevator.

“Looks like you’re having a good start to your day,” she commented. “Something good happen?”

Unable to control his smitten grin, he nodded. “Yes.”

She scoffed at him. Teasing as she joined him in the elevator, “No wonder you smell different. Had a really good meal, huh?”

Sehun subconsciously touched his shirt. He hadn’t been aware. The moment he’d gotten up all that had been on his mind was making something nice for Namjoo and Kihoon. Forgetting that the stench of food could linger.

“It’s not too bad?” he wondered. He had to meet people for interviews during the day. He didn’t want to be giving off a bad impression for smelling strongly of food.

“You’ll live.” She smiled before parting ways with him on their floor.

Throughout the day Sehun constantly kept his eyes glued to the clock. Flying out of his workplace the moment he completed his articles. First returning to the apartment. Going through his closet randomly choosing from his assortment of clothes. He was out of breath by the time he arrived at the restaurant. The sun was beginning to droop but it was still high in his world.

Several customers turned when the door opened. He looked at none of them but for only one person. To his dismay Namjoo wasn’t on the floor but the part-time girl recognized him.

Pointing to an empty table, he said, “I’ll just sit down.”

Eunkyung disappeared into the kitchen and a second later a burst of energy ran out, screaming, “Daddy!”

Several more heads turned upon the noise. Swiveling in his seat Sehun caught Kihoon. “Hi, little man.”

Jumping from feet to feet excitedly, Kihoon stared at him with big eyes. “Daddy come home?”

“That’s right. That’s why I’m here.” He said.

“Yay!” he cutely clapped his hands together. “I sit with daddy.”

“Ok. Hop on.” Sehun lifted him onto the chair beside him where his son happily eyed him nonstop.

“You’re here?” Namjoo finally made her entrance from the kitchen. She was wearing an apron and wiping her wet hands on it.

“Mommy! Mommy! Daddy come home!” Kihoon announced.

Namjoo sent him a motherly smiled. Putting her attention on him next. “Have you eaten?”

“No.”

“Do you want something?” she offered.

The tables were full around them. Despite the fact that she must have been occupied all day in the kitchen Sehun was still selfish. As if he was the next big kid after Kihoon, who wanted her attention. Just her to himself. Like Kihoon, telling the entire world he was coming home tonight. They were going to share one roof, one bed, one blanket again.

After six months apart he felt he deserved this.

“Namjoo,” he affectionately said, “can we eat at home?”

“Oh…” her eyes took the message a little late. Nodding, “Yea sure. If you’re tired you can take Kihoon and go ahead.”

Sehun shook his head. “I can wait.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yea, I’m sure.”

It did take a while for Namjoo to finally close shop. Sehun was starting to get tired sitting with Kihoon going through his coloring book with him.

“You drove?” she asked when they headed outside.

“For convenience.” Sehun shrugged. “I’ll follow you back.” Looking at Kihoon, “Who do you want to ride with? Mommy or daddy?”

Quickly latching onto Namjoo he exclaimed with a kind of giggle, “With mommy!”

He scoffed, “I knew it.”

“Knew what?” Namjoo asked.

“Nothing.” He murmured with a kind of eye roll. One day he expected to compete with his son over Namjoo’s attention. Hopefully it wouldn’t be too soon.

Sehun was honestly beat but more excited to be walking back into Namjoo’s place. Dropping her bag onto the counter she said, “You should have just eaten at the restaurant.”

“You don’t want to cook,” he openly sulked.

Peering over her shoulder with a light glare, she said, “Well, you should have. I get tired, too, you know.”

“Are we going to argue? Really?” Sehun wondered.

Namjoo sighed. “I’m not.”

“Huh.” He huffed.

Her expression turned stern. Sehun backed off. He didn’t want to get on her nerves. He didn’t want to be booted out. After a long day he just wanted some peace and quality time together.

“I’ll wash Kihoon and do the dishes,” Sehun bargained. “I wanted to come home to your food. That’s all.”

The frown eased off her face. Namjoo looked sorry. Massaging her forehead, she leaned a hip against the counter. “You know it’s not the same anymore. I have the restaurant now.”

Sehun’s eyes slid away guiltily. Of course, he knew too well. Namjoo couldn’t wait on him anymore. Over the course of six months they had also become their own persons. Becoming acquainted with the fact they were not one anymore but individuals coursing rough waves alone.

Just like he had.

Just like Namjoo had.

The two of them surviving by themselves.

Six months was a short period of time for some people yet it was also a long span of time for others.

For Namjoo what had it been? The former or the latter? Because six months without her had been too long for him.

Walking toward her he cupped the back of her head and gave her a kiss on the cheek in hopes of consoling her. “Sorry,” he apologized speaking quietly near her ear. “Just make something simple. Noodles are ok.”

That was his problem. Always asking too much of her, as if making her Kihoon’s mother hadn’t been enough of an ordeal.

Turning around he found Kihoon on the floor by his toys. Wrapping an arm around him Sehun lifted him off the floor. Spinning him around midway. Kihoon screeched with glee. Giggling noisily as Sehun carried him into the bathroom.

“Again, daddy! Again!” Kihoon pleaded when Sehun set him into the tub. Clinging onto his arms, Kihoon begged continuously, “Daddy! Pwease! Again! Spin me!”

“Take a bath first,” Sehun told pulling his shirt off. “Then I’ll think about it.”

“Pwomise? Daddy?” Kihoon’s eyes sparkled with hope Sehun was sure to turn down later.

Patting his , Sehun said, “Take off your pants.”

“We pway later?” he was still at it when Sehun turned the water on.

“Ok,” he absentmindedly promised. Kihoon shivered clenching his eyes shut when Sehun wet his head. They laughed and splashed water. Finally wrapping Kihoon up in a fluffy towel he flew him like an airplane into his bedroom in search of his pajamas. His son first ran out once Sehun dressed him.

Namjoo was still in the kitchen with the vent humming. Making, not noodles for him, but curry. The empty box on the side told him it was instant but it was a dish that required time to make. There was Kihoon clinging onto her leg. Damp haired but clean.

“I hungry, mommy,” he whined leaning into her.

“It’s almost done.” She spoke both to him and Kihoon.

Without asking Sehun set the table. Forcefully grabbing Kihoon by wrapping his arms around him and flinging him into the air then into his chair. Kihoon giggled all the way but didn’t retort.

“Why’d you get your shirt all wet?” Namjoo asked bringing over a plate of food for Kihoon.

“It’s ok.” Sehun assured. “Thanks for the food.”

“Yea, well, I didn’t even try.” She dryly said.

Sehun scoffed. “Ok, chef.”

Sitting down he gobbled up his plate. As promised, he washed the dishes while Namjoo went in for a shower. Becoming suddenly energized Kihoon loudly entertained himself in the living room. Playing with his toys and ignoring the television Sehun had mindfully set onto a child’s program.

“Are you ready to go to sleep?” Sehun asked when he finally finished putting the dishes away.

“No. Don’t want sleep.” Kihoon mumbled.

“Put your toys away.” Sehun called out drying his hands.

Kihoon ignored him.

Calling out with a stricter tone, Sehun said, “Kihoon. Put your toys away.”

His son didn’t reply. Tossing the towel into the garbage Sehun made his way over. Feigning ignorance Kihoon didn’t look up at him.

Standing over him, Sehun ordered, “Put your toy away.”

Kihoon instantly wailed. “Mommy! Mommy!”

Sighing he knelt down and pulled Kihoon, who fought with him, onto his lap. Realizing his dad wasn’t about to let go Kihoon succumbed. Sniffing into his shirt.

“I want mommy.” He whimpered.

“Mommy’s not here right now.” Sehun said. Taking his toy, he returned it to its basket and carried Kihoon into his bedroom. “Come on.”

“I want sleep with mommy.” Kihoon whined when Sehun tucked him in.

“But you’re a big boy,” Sehun convinced.

“I not a big boy,” Kihoon pouted. “I baby.”

“You’re a big boy.” Sehun tapped his pudgy cheek. “And big boys sleep in their room.”

“No.” he playfully giggled.

Sehun grinned. Affectionately his son’s tiny head. “Go to sleep.”

Kihoon’s eyes sleepily closed. Sehun yelped in glee but Kihoon’s eyes opened. “Daddy sleep with me?”

“No.” Sehun prolonged his reply playfully.

“Want daddy stay.” Kihoon quietly murmured.

“Go to sleep.” Gently patting his chest to lull him asleep Sehun waited it out until Kihoon’s breathing evened and he stopped fidgeting. Carefully leaving the door a crack he left the bedroom. Discovering the bathroom empty which meant Namjoo was most likely in bed. Her dark room confirmed she was.

Sehun took a shower, brushed, his teeth, and checked on Kihoon once more before finally walking into Namjoo’s room. He dug through his bag for something to wear and left the door a crack open.

He was a little disappointed. Assuming they’d be going to sleep together, but one look at Namjoo’s unmoving form told him she hadn’t waited. Suddenly it was like old days. Coming home late to find Namjoo already in bed with Kihoon beside her. Crawling into the thin space left for him. Except tonight they were on their own.

Climbing into bed quietly Sehun pulled the blanket over him. Settling his head onto the pillow. Staring up at the unmakeable ceiling before turning to peer at Namjoo sleeping with her back to him.

“You’re really sleeping,” Sehun guilt tripped. “I thought we’d go to sleep together. I guess not.”

Surprise hit him when Namjoo turned over. Onto her back then her side.

“You took forever,” she tiredly mumbled putting her arm around him.

A genuine smile split his lips apart. Grasping onto her hand to keep it on his side he turned to give her forehead a kiss.

“I thought you were sleeping.”

“In a minute.”

“Ok.” Still smiling he turned to stare up at the ceiling.