Broken Choices

The Flowers We Saw

She hiccupped taken by shock. “No.” she panted, panicked. “No, I can’t.”

Tightening his hand around hers he turned to face her. Looking into her eyes, “Listen to me. I’ll help you. Ok?”

Her lips trembled. Her wide eyes b with tears.

“You’re going to be ok.” He promised.

The elevator doors hissed open and he pulled her out with him. She turned to hide her face behind him as others filed inside. The moment the sun rose over them Hayoung hurled around to run back inside.

“I can’t,” she heaved, breathing so deeply her voice went hoarse. “I can’t do this.”

Shaking her head, she tugged her way back in through the doors. Sehun fought with her. Yanking her back outside. Grasping her by the shoulders albeit gently he held her eyes. “You can and you will.”

She whimpered fearfully. “I’m scared.”

“I know you are,” he sympathized, “but you can do this. Hayoung, you can. You have to know you deserve better.”

Shedding painful tears, she clenched her eyes and covered her face. And he knew she knew it, too. She’d just been too afraid. Her heart broke as she sobbed, “It’s embarrassing. I can’t…can’t face mom and dad like this. I can’t do it.”

“You have me, your brother, don’t you?” he softly asked. “I want you to do this for yourself. I’m right here with you.”

Biting her lower lip, she nodded suddenly appearing like a child again. Not the steadfast woman she had become when she became an adult, maneuvering her way down the roads to an early marriage, a well-paying job, and a life to be filled with much love and happiness. Those steadfast dreams gone awry somewhere down the lane transitioning her from a happy bee into a cowering girl.

How did things like that happen?

“Come on.” He led her to his car.

Hayoung nervously fiddled with her fingers throughout the car ride. Sehun worriedly darted his eyes in her direction and the road simultaneously. His heart went out to her. His younger sister whom he didn’t know was facing this darkness alone. When they visited him, he should have done more instead of standing back. Foolishly telling himself not to intrude on their marriage.

He should have followed his gut instincts!

He could have helped her earlier!

Now that they were a ways from Doyoon’s home, he felt more at ease. Contrary to him, Hayoung fidgeted anxiously. Doyoon would get angry she said. If he rampaged, would he hurt her again? For a quick second, Sehun worried what he was doing was just putting her in more danger. Yet he was the older brother. He should protect her. If Hayoung had no one, she had him. Other than their father, he was supposed to be her rock.

“Since how long has it been happening?” Sehun asked.

Her silence elongated like the streets they were leaving behind. Sehun doubted she would give him an answer. And then, “Almost two years.”

Sehun shut his eyes a moment then opened them with a hiss. “Jesus. Why didn’t you say something? You could have come to me. I’m your brother, Hayoung.”

“It wasn’t that serious at the beginning.” Her voice dimmed. “It…it felt like an accident and then he apologized.”

He sighed then stopped when he realized it sounded like he was just lecturing her. He didn’t need to make the situation worse. He shouldn’t be blaming her for the circumstances she’d been forced under. These things were uncontrollable.

“What do you want?” Sehun asked. “I’m saying, what do you want to do? Because we’re almost there.”

She scratched her sweats with a finger. Wasting the seconds again. The buildings flew past. Traffic heavier, as if offering a hand to extend the time.

Her breath quivered. Closing her eyes, she cried, “I’m tired. I just want to come home.”

Sehun smiled. “Good, because I wasn’t going to send you back.”

The familiar home they had grown up in abnormally towered over them as he pulled up. Adulthood was such a strange phenomenon. Teaching a person to grow up in a safe zone and split away to put down his roots elsewhere. Only to return to that safe zone praying for shelter from the storm.

In those days childish arguments had seemed like the only factor that tore up their worlds; instill pain and sadness. Two carefree children unaware of what kinds of heartaches existed in their futures. That had been him and Hayoung. Neither accomplishing to live the dreams their parents dreamed for them. Both of them never intending for things to become this way.

Somehow, their lives were filled with nothing but trickery. Unable to meet the high standards they were held at. The finish line was never really where they expected it to be.

Under what stars were broken lives buried?

Very quietly he led Hayoung toward the house. Past the yard where they used to ball toss. Dragging her plastic tea table outside and surrounding it with stuffed animals. Forced to play tea time with her before he shoved everything off the table, intending to mess around. Making Hayoung stomp off and cry. Tell on him to their mother. He was put on time out, no TV that evening. All while Hayoung continued playing with her frilly mates and sticking her tongue out at him.

Siblings were like that. Fighting each other one day and the next standing at each other’s backs. Like today.

It was their father who came to the door. His expression was glad then transitioned to worry once he spotted Hayoung behind him.

“Is mom home?” Sehun asked.

“Uh…well…yes,” he stuttered with dismay. Not sure what his two adult children were here about. Together. It never happened before.

“Tell mom to come into the living room.” Sehun said on his way in. “We need to talk.”

Sticking close Hayoung said quiet enough for only him to hear, “I don’t think we should do this. Why don’t…why don’t we just go?”

She tugged on his shirt. Shrinking again. Out of fear. Shame. Embarrassment and what else he didn’t know. Reaching the three seated couch he urged her to sit down. Their mom shuffled from around the corner. Eagerly grinning. Excited with her children’s visit. That smile died when she spotted the cut on her precious daughter’s face.

Sliding right over in her fashionable fluffy pink slippers, she cupped Hayoung’s face. “Oh no! What happened?! Why is there…no, you shouldn’t have a cut.” Leaning away, she went right onto interrogating, “Have you put ointment on? There’s going to be a scar! That’s not going to be good for your pretty face.”

Standing behind his wife, their father stared down at them with hands on hips. “Now, what is this about?”

“Honey!” his wife whipped around, scolding, “Can’t you see?! Your daughter is injured! Get the first aid kit. Hurry!”

“Mom,” Hayoung’s voice nearly cracked, “mom, don’t.” Touching her hand, “Please, don’t.”

Their mother’s expression twisted with concern. Her brows burrowing so deep they nearly touched. “Hayoung,” her voice softened, “what’s wrong?”

Finally in a secure place of shelter, his sister wept. Freely. Releasing a language of anguish, fear, and pain. And the tears continued to drip nonstop like the rain showers just several weeks ago. Winter dead upon spring’s arrival. Life ready to resurrect and take over.

The long overdue warmth seemed to be found nowhere.

“Stop crying and tell your mom and I what is going on,” their father demanded. After a pending minute, he called, “Hayoung.”

He would talk, but it was not his place. Sehun needed Hayoung to do this. For herself. This was her chance to relinquish the truth.

This was her story.

“Can I…” she hiccupped, “can I…mom…” she sobbed, “I want to come home.”

Shook by the traitorous words, their mother stumbled back. Pulling her hand away. She gasped disbelief, “What are you saying?” Her glare landed on him. Accusing, “What did you say to her?”

Angry that she was turning this on him, he rose. “Why are you suddenly turning this on me?”

His mom took a step back. Maybe his height made him menacing, and at the same time, made him feel worthy and strong.

“She would have never gotten these foolish ideas in her head!” his mother scolded. “Do you think I will allow another divorced child in this family? You were an embarrassment enough!”

Sehun bit his tongue in order not to lash back. Recalling this wasn’t about him. This was about Hayoung and her well-being, and she deserved better than to be categorized with him.

“Hayoung wants to come home,” Sehun’s voice trembled. His blood rushed. Roared like angry ocean waves in his ears. “Why can’t she come home?”

“It’s not right for her to come home anymore. You should know better than to say something so foolish,” his father calmly reprimanded. “She is Doyoon’s person now.”

“She is your daughter,” Sehun shook. “Put her first.”

“Take her back home,” his father ordered. “Why are you stirring up trouble like this?”

“I won’t take her back.” Sehun angrily stood his ground. Both his parents glared at him. He turned to pull the sniffing Hayoung to her feet. Sliding her sleeve up to reveal the injuries beneath. “Your upstanding son-in-law did this.” His vocal cords quivered hotly, “And you’re going to send her back?”

His father’s eyes enlarged. Moved up to stare at his daughter. “You explain this. What happened?”

Blinking the tears back, Hayoung withdrew her arm. Pulling the sleeve back down her eyes swam through the room. Unable to look at the moments captured in time. The candid portraits on the wall of when she was a young girl. A time skip of their lives spread throughout the home carefully pieced together with their mother’s mindset.

Happier times that no longer existed because growing up was cruel. Marriage ending up not to be some fairytale it was made out to be.

She couldn’t answer their father. Even if it was obvious like broad daylight.

“No. No, no, no, no,” their mother shook her head. Refusing to accept the truth. “I have to call Doyoon and ask him. Go back home, Hayoung. We’ll fix this and make it right.”

“Mom!” Sehun yelled.

She him again. Eyes strictly wide, lips drawn tight. Expression so constricted it appeared she might explode. “Don’t you meddle in this. This is not your problem. If it’s anyone’s we’ll need to talk to Doyoon and his family.” Turning to Hayoung she ordered, “Don’t act rashly. Go home and be patient. If you run around like this under your brother’s influence, how are we ever supposed to face Doyoon’s family and our relatives? Did you think of that before you came? Are you aware how awful you’re making your father and I look? Everyone will assume we’re being disrespectful of the elders. I didn’t raise you to be like this.”

“You heard your mother,” his father backed her up. “Go home, Hayoung. It’s the only thing you can do right now. I’ll make sure to call Doyoon’s family for a council meeting, and we can talk this through.” His gaze took a 360º turn when his line of vision landed on him. “Take her home, Sehun.”

“You can’t do this,” he argued.

“Sehun!” his father raised his voice.

“Maybe Doyoon is home,” his mother chirped up. “I’ll just call him.”

Shaking, Hayoung grasped his arm. Clinging tightly. “Jus…just take me home, Sehun. Please. Please, ok?”

his hand Sehun struggled with all his might not to continue this argument. He was putting Hayoung in a bad spotlight. His parents would never hear him out. Today would get them nowhere.

He didn’t bid his farewell as he left. Fast to make his exit. Impatient for the cool air outside. Instead of his ice queen mother, he would be the one erupting.

Slamming the car door, he zipped the seatbelt across his body. “I can’t believe them!”

His sister sat very quietly in her seat. No longer sniffing. Perhaps sinking in the fact that there was really no where for her to go. There would be no escape from hell. Her own family didn’t even want to help her.

Sehun had no words to describe that kind of pain that would last an infinity.

Blowing up wasn’t going to solve the problem. As the silence wove around them Sehun didn’t know what he was doing. If he was being smart about this. Only knew he had to try something to save his sister.

That was the only right thing to do.

“I’m sorry,” he remorsefully apologized.

He hadn’t been any help. He’d only gotten her deeper in trouble, and now all their families were going to get involved.

“Don’t be, Sehun.” Hayoung comforted. “I should be sorry for getting you in this.”

He pondered for a long moment before suggesting, “Why don’t you stay at my place? I’m not there right now, so you can have the place to yourself.”

“What do you mean?”

“I’m staying with Namjoo right now.” It was the wrong situation for it, but the mere mention of her name had his heart fluttering. Reminding him there was good to look forward to at the end of the day.

For the first time, a smile stretched across Hayoung’s miserable face. “It’s about time. You’re really slow.”

He grinned although sadly. “I tried.”

“I’m happy for you, Sehun. You deserve it.” Her eyes glowed. Not with tears, but they reflected the light so well that they appeared to shine. “Sehun.”

“What?”

“No matter what happens, try to forgive mom and dad. You’re one, too, so you should understand how hard it is, right?” Hayoung said. “And this time around, don’t give up so easily again. You’ve always been really quiet, but seeing you all by yourself again and even quieter was really sad.”

“What are you talking about?” he glanced at her.

“Just,” Hayoung sniffed and touched her eye to rid of a tear drop, “I want to try to be wise, so don’t forget it.”

“Don’t,” he said, “always try to be strong. You don’t need to.”

“I know.” She glanced down at her hands. Lifting her head up she turned to look at him. Smiling a bit. “I was really scared today, but I’m more grateful.”

Turning to stare at the road where in the beyond the horizon was glowing orange, he said, “I didn’t do anything.”

“Don’t be angry too long. I’ll be ok.” Pulling her seatbelt on, Hayoung said, “Take me home, Sehun.”

He frowned. Dismayed by what he was hearing. Facing her he repeated, “I told you to stay at my place. If you need clothes, I can take you to the store right now.”

Hayoung shook her head causing her hair to swaddle her face. “What’s the point in running?”

“Do you know what you’re going back to?” he started getting riled up.

“I know,” she spoke with an edge. “I know, so I have to go back.”

He hunkered down. Forfeiting. Hayoung was her own person with her own will and state of mind. If she said she was inclined to, how could he just stop her? Make her feel any less than she already was?

“I’m really worried, Hayoung,” Sehun said. He’d always seen assault cases in the paper. Many just skimmed over the news before moving on, but the impact of the violence always left a deeper mark than ink on paper.

He never wished for a day he’d deal with his own.

“I’ll just have to wait for our parents to figure it out,” Hayoung resigned. “Before that, Doyoon can’t cause any more damage than he already has. I’ll be ok.”

“Call me.” he made her promise. “Keep your phone with you every time. I mean it.”

“Ok.” She smiled amused. “I will.”

“Promise.”

“Promise.”

His heart grew heavier the closer they reached Doyoon’s extravagant studio. Where from floor to ceiling he only flaunted his wealth. Everything there about himself. Self-centered .

“Are you sure?” Sehun asked again after pulling up to the curb. “I can walk you up.”

“I’ll be fine.” Hayoung undid her seatbelt. “Thanks, Sehun.” Pushing the door open she stepped out. Paused and leaned in, “Tell Namjoo and Kihoon I said hi. Take care of them, ok?”

As he watched her walk away, he would never be sure he made the right choice that day.