Gonna Be Ok

The Flowers We Saw

⸎⸎⸎⸎⸎

They brought Kihoon to bed with them, but he only wanted his mother so he slept on Namjoo’s right and Sehun ended up on her left side. All they did was lay quietly while Kihoon snuggled up to his mother.

Staring into the gloom counting imaginary sheep as he waited to tire. One look and Namjoo’s eyes were closed. He couldn’t tell if she was just relaxing. He didn’t ask. Desperate for some quiet they had gone silent.

Too many things were happening again. Befalling their innocent lives of three. Some unseen forces were trying to dictate their lives again. Or maybe this was some cruel trial to see if they could withstand the sleet. But why the test when he was prepared to give Namjoo everything he had? Was their relationship not good enough?

Hadn’t they suffered enough?

It killed him when he thought of Namjoo’s tears. Why did she have to hurt so much? Why did her heart have to be so heavy?

It wasn’t fair.

It wasn’t right.

Why was this happening to them?

Shutting his eyes, he hoped that the future would bless them with sunnier days. That all these heartaches would be worth it.

When he woke up the next morning, Kihoon was surprisingly awake. Sitting beside his sleeping mother with mussed hair and blank eyes. Leading him out of the room to let Namjoo sleep in, Sehun jumped into the shower with Kihoon. By the time they were out Namjoo hadn’t yet woken, so he started on breakfast. Sitting at the table obediently, Kihoon snacked on apple sauce.

“Daddy,” he called out.

“Hmm?” Switching the stove on to warm up the burner he glanced at Kihoon.

“Mommy ok?” he asked.

“Mommy’s ok.”

“Bad guy hurt mommy,” Kihoon said. Unclearly mumbling but Sehun caught water and yelling. “I scared.”

“It won’t happen again,” Sehun promised. Walking over to touch Kihoon’s head, he leaned down to his level. Lying because Kihoon needed to hear it to believe it, “Mommy’s not hurt. Daddy will protect her, ok?”

“Me, too! Me, too!” Kihoon eagerly cheered.

Laughing appeased, Sehun ruffled his hair. “You, too.”

No one had called him. He’d left work early yesterday. A blessing in disguise perhaps. Planning to surprise Namjoo and Kihoon by stopping in earlier than usual. This time he’d order from the menu but request that Namjoo make his food. He’d been giddy. Whistling as he drove to the restaurant. Excited for the two people that made his life more meaningful. The only ones that brightened his day.

Instead, Eunkyung had hurried over when she saw him. Keeping him near the door and speaking in a hushed voice. Detailing Doyoon’s visit. His blood had churned all the way to his feet. Hands curling into fists, he asked for Namjoo. Hearing she’d taken Kihoon with her into her office and hadn’t been seen since.

He was relieved when he saw her in one piece. Kihoon in her arms and sleeping soundly. Yet he was profoundly taken aback that Namjoo hadn’t called him when it happened. Sehun would have dropped everything at work to go to them.

Still, Namjoo kept her feelings concealed. Always refusing to shine light on her emotions. As if she always needed to be standing tall. Rim rod straight and unmoving. By her lonesome self. Like she was punishing herself.

Was it for his sake? Her own?

Sehun never really knew. He could never tell. One look at her expression, her movements, and only taking a guess.

Discovering that his mother had made the trip to see her was even more disconcerting.

He could take his mother’s lashing, but for Namjoo to be the punching bag was too much. Sehun couldn’t stand it. Namjoo was being pitched in the center like she was the only problematic person.

“Mommy!” Kihoon greeted energetically. Sliding out of his seat he darted past Sehun to hug Namjoo’s legs. “I miss you.”

“Hi, baby.” Namjoo patted his back. “You woke up early.”

“I showa with daddy.” Kihoon stepped back to show off. Bragging with a broad grin.

“You did? Good job,” Namjoo beamed. Touching Kihoon’s head she turned to look at him. Offering a splendid smile that enlightened him. “You didn’t sleep well?”

“I slept some.” Sehun replied. “Go wash up. I’ll have breakfast ready soon.”

Nodding, Namjoo raked a hand up into her hair as she disappeared. Kihoon returned to his seat and picked up his spoon to finish the rest of his apple sauce.

They ate together like they’d been doing the past two weeks. Sehun discreetly glanced at Namjoo. She wouldn’t ask about his schedule today. Most likely she never bothered, because he would be doing something repetitive. Today, he had personally adjusted his plans accordingly.

There was a place he needed to go. A person in dire need of his visit. Because Sehun couldn’t just sit still and let it go.

Since he’d driven them home yesterday, forcing Namjoo to abandon her car, he dropped them off at the restaurant.

“You’ll call me if something happens?” Sehun asked as Namjoo unbuckled her seatbelt.

“I will.”

“Don’t turn your phone off.” Sehun called out when she pushed the door open.

“I won’t.” Namjoo said. Even showed him that the mobile device was 100% charged.

“Ok.” Satisfied, he bid farewell, “Have a good day. I’ll see you later.”

“You, too. Don’t work too hard.” Namjoo looked back just once then taking Kihoon’s hand she pushed the back door close and walked away. Sehun stayed long enough to watch them safely enter the building then drove off.

Late morning. That was the plan.

Arriving on a timely schedule at work, Sehun joined the herd in front of the double elevators. Spotting Seol waiting among the blacks and blues at the back. Concocting a plan b, he pushed his way through the crowd to her. Several eyes followed him, but the murmuring drowned out the attention landing on him.

“Hey,” Sehun greeted.

Noticing him, her eyes smiled. “Hi, Sehun. I didn’t see you earlier.”

“Just arrived,” he told.

“You’ve been a late bird lately,” she teased.

Sehun smiled in reply then swerved onto topic. “I want to ask for a favor.” He paused. “If that’s ok. I’ll buy you soda or food in exchange.”

Sneakily smirking, she said, “Give it a shot.”

“I have something going on later,” Sehun began, “around lunch period, if it’s possible, could you go to the restaurant?”

The smirk dissipated. Seol’s maroon lips eased, parting just slightly. Detecting his somber tone, she worried, “Did something happen?”

The elevators hissed open and he turned to see the crowd moving forward. Those behind beckoned them to follow the flow. Time started ticking. Once they reached their floor, he’d have to get straight to work in order to meet today’s deadlines.

“Promise I’ll explain later.” He said. “So, can you?”

Smiling, she promised, “I’ll check in on her, if that’s what you’re asking for.”

Returning the smile, relieved, he thanked her.

Sehun managed to hurriedly type in an article before sending it through mail. Once the clock hit 10:30 he left his desk.

Along the drive he grew tense. Gripping the steering wheel tightly. His heart picked up. Pounding, pounding, pounding. Picturing what had happened yesterday to Namjoo and the rage increased threefold. The thought that she’d hidden in the office with Kihoon in order to find some safe getaway made his heart ache.

He hadn’t been there for them.

He didn’t know.

If only…

The tires skid as he abruptly swerved into the congested parking lot filled with shiny cars. The sun blinding him as light reflected off every mirror, every colored rooftop. Spotting a free VIP reserved parking lot Sehun stole the spot. Didn’t matter if he’d get ticketed. He’d deal with the consequences as long as he completed his self-assigned mission.

He regretted and kind of didn’t regret not associating with his of a brother-in-law. It would have made it easier to give him a smack on the head for mistreating his sister, his wife. Either way, it wouldn’t matter. Doyoon would be getting his kicked.

The brother-in-law worked at a top conglomerate specializing in technology. Starting at the bottom and getting promoted a level up every several years. An accomplished man was total if he was incompetent in the husband department. A title was just a title at the end of the day and served no purpose when he was at home.

How dare he try to exert his authority outside of the workplace!

Strutting in through the gold framed glass doors Sehun didn’t bother marveling at the marbled lobby with floor to ceiling windows. So clean that a bird would mistaken it as air, ending up a horrible death when their neck broke as they flew into it. The reception desk was a dark brown station, marble, too. A formally dressed employee politely greeted him. A gold pin engraved with her name was pierced on her suave black blazer.

“I’d like to speak to Uhm Doyoon,” Sehun made his statement. “He’s a branch manager I believe.”

“There are several branch managers. Would you happen to know which department he works in?” she asked.

“No.” he flatly answered. Maybe he should be embarrassed, but right now he didn’t give a rat’s about that.

Sehun patiently waited as the woman went through a directory and dialed a number. Getting transferred from one line to another in search of Uhm Doyoon. About six minutes later when a line started forming behind him and another receptionist had to be called for service, Sehun was told Uhm Doyoon was coming down.

This time, he really grew tense. Biting his tongue, he stepped away to await the bastard. Chanting for determination to strike his nerves.

And then, finally, the tall man showed up. In an ironed clad suit. Daring to smile like they were pals; Sehun picking him up for an early lunch.

Glaring fiercely, Sehun hissed, “Outside.”

Even if he came here with a purpose, he at least had the dignity not to create a spectacle in front of the office employees. Risk getting booted out by security and driven to the police station for creating a ruckus in public. After all, he wouldn’t forget this was some top conglomerate. And big shots had power a tiny person like him could never possess in his lifetime.

They walked to the side of the building. Empty. Trimmed bushes leaned against the building rooted to dirt topped by high grade gravel. For design perhaps. A private green yard stretched quietly on the other side, separating the building from the four-lane highway.

“Did that woman tattle on me?” Doyoon smugly smirked. His tone was unrepentant, “What’s the big deal? I just visited to teach her a lesson for meddling. Hasn’t your parents taught you that it’s better for a woman to keep her dignity by not opening ?”

Sehun rammed Doyoon into the building. Clutching aggressively onto the collar of his shirt. “Go near her one more time and I’ll show you what dignity really is.” Hissing into his face, Sehun cursed, “You piece of . If you lay a hand on my sister again, prepare for my meddling. I’m going to have your face plastered over the front-page news, so get ready to lose everything you’ve worked so hard for. Mess with my family and you’ll see just what I can do.”

Slamming him against the high wall with all his strength Sehun relinquished his hold. Stepping back with a huff. His blood sped through him so fast he could hear the rush of it inside his ears. His hands trembled as began to walk away.

“You’re threatening me?” Doyoon called out. “Next time, I’ll teach that a lesson so well she won’t be able to walk, so she stays where she belongs.”

Snapping, Sehun whirled around. Running. Arm raised, fist flying.

⸎⸎⸎⸎⸎

“You didn’t have to come in so early,” Namjoo told Eunkyung.

“It’s no problem, boss.” Her cheerful part-timer assured. “Class was cancelled early today and I didn’t want to lounge around in dorms.”

Unable to retort, Namjoo smiled and patted her back. Could tell the girl was trying to look out for her. After seeing Sehun’s mother snarling at her and yesterday’s incident, it made sense. Namjoo was intent on dividing her work life from her personal life. Nothing was working out these days.

In front of her employees she wondered if she looked impractical. Dragging her personal matters to work, letting them witness all the wrong things in her life.

Namjoo turned when the door opened and called out a greeting. The smile wavering when she saw Seol. Subconsciously, she searched for Sehun behind her.

He wasn’t there.

“I was around the corner,” Seol excused pointing toward the side of the building. “I have an interview later, so right now’s the only time I can eat.”

“Sure.” Namjoo kindly said watching Seol walk up to the counter where Eunkyung currently was.

Blinking she glanced down at the table she was working hard to scrub then glanced at the door. Mulling over the fact that Sehun hadn’t come for lunch. She missed him. The sight of him would soothe her, give her the strength to make it through the day.

Sighing, Namjoo sprayed the table again. Trying not to look as Seol chose a table on her left. From her line of vision, the professional woman was sipping her cup of soda and going through her phone for messages pertaining work.

At the end of the day, Sehun didn’t come to the restaurant. She waited for him to arrive, but gave up when the cook lingered past his hours. Giving the excuse that he had nothing going on and didn’t mind waiting with her and Kihoon. Aware she was starting to become a nuisance, she packed up and drove home.

Kihoon didn’t question why daddy didn’t come home with them. Holding her hand tightly they rode the elevator up to her place. She was surprised when she spotted Sehun’s shoes in the doorway. Walking in she looked around, didn’t spot him anywhere. Not in the kitchen. Not on the couch hidden from sight, lying down.

Glancing toward the closed bedroom door she moved on instinct. Pushing open the door unveiled a bloody shirt on the floor. Quickly shutting the door, she turned around to Kihoon. Heart hammering fast.

“Why don’t you go play with your toys a while?” Namjoo asked. Pulling him into the living room she dragged over his box of toys and with shaky hands grabbed the remote. Setting the television to a favorite kid’s channel Namjoo patted his back. “Sit here for a bit, ok?”

She gave him a peck on his temple and anxiously held her hands together. Sehun was seething with pain when she entered the bedroom. There were bloody marks on his back but they weren’t as severe as the ripped skin on his knuckles, the cuts on his face. A bruise was starting to show up on his nose. Other faint ones on his face. Some on his chest.

“God, what happened?” she gasped sitting down with him. There was a bag of medical supplies from her cabinet, but it didn’t seem to be enough for his abrasions.

Sehun flinched when she gently touched his jaw, angling his face so she could see the injuries in a better light.

“What the hell did you do?” she scolded albeit worriedly.

“You would think I’ve manned up after a fight,” he tried lightening up the mood.

“It’s not funny.” She scolded. Snatching the bag, she dug through for appropriate medicine. Muttering because it hurt seeing him physically in pain, “You .”

She looked up meeting with the light in his eyes; the comforting smile as he ensured, “I’m ok.”

“Ok my ,” Namjoo hissed. “Who’d you hit? If you fought you should have won. Freaking loser.”

Sehun softly laughed. Taking his hand, she used up the rest of the gauze she’d bought when she burned her hand to wrap his skinned knuckles.

“It really pisses me off,” Sehun started, “when anyone tries to hurt you.”

Her eyes jot toward his face again. Feeling her heart swell with emotions. It was this, things like these he did that always made her soft for him.

Sehun, who constantly kept trying to do things for her. On his own accord, because he felt he needed to.

And it was things like these that made her grateful. Also, depressed with worthlessness.

Touched and overwhelmed with dark thoughts, she wanted to cry.

Averting her eyes, she said, “Don’t fight for me, Sehun. You don’t have to do anything.”

He squeezed her hand with the less injured one. That served as enough comfort for her aching heart.

“I’m going to bring Hayoung here,” Sehun said. “That guy is ruthless.”

“Do that.” Namjoo nodded. Fully understanding. “Bring her.”


***Recognize the signs: Doyoon is self-centered, selfish, obsessed with power but he's also very good with acting. He's a manipulator. People's true persona usually climbs out of their shells as they get comfortable after getting what they want.

***Anyway, this story is turning out to be shorter than I expected ????