Tomorrows With You

The Flowers We Saw

A timid smile instantly flashed across her face. Wishing she could hide somewhere, because she didn’t want this happening to her. She shouldn’t be like this. How old was she?

Biting her lower lip Namjoo pointed toward the dish rack, “I…I’ll set the table up.”

Growing shy aware Sehun was watching her every move. She couldn’t control the rapid beating of her heart and it felt like it was booming throughout her apartment, and he could hear it like the sound systems at the night club in every room. Pounding, pounding, pounding, and making the ground shake.

Kihoon poked his head out from behind the bedroom door when she grabbed a plate. A naughty smile grew on his face when his eyes dashed from her to Sehun, back to her. Grinning widely, he darted into the kitchen in her direction. Screaming when Sehun caught him midway.

“Mommy! Mommy!” he screamed when Sehun swung him in the air. “Mommy!”

“You’re not going to mommy,” Sehun teased.

Writhing Kihoon screeched. Stretching his thin arms out, “Mommy!”

Holding him a width away, Sehun continued playing, “Nuh-uh. Stay with daddy.”

“No!!!” Kihoon screamed. Gasping a sob as he kicked his legs, “Mommy!”

Gently tapping his Sehun set Kihoon on the floor. Before dashing toward her he turned to hit his dad with his tiny fist. Pouting before running into her.

Sehun scoffed, “He just hit me?”

“You ,” Namjoo shrugged. Walking toward the table she put down a plate.

“You booger.” Sehun name-called Kihoon, who stuck his tongue out. Clinging onto Namjoo’s shirt he followed her back to the dish rack.

She rummaged through the cupboard for a bowl. Handing it to Sehun, “Use this for the soup.” Grabbing Kihoon’s hand she led him to the bathroom, “Lets go wash up and eat.”

Wetting a damp rag, she gently wiped Kihoon’s face then prepared his toothbrush and handed it to him. He only scrubbed his front teeth impatiently and handed it back to her.

“No, you have to do it for longer,” Namjoo scolded. “Come on. Your back teeth, too.”

“Don’t want.” Kihoon complained. “Done.”

Namjoo in a breath. Leaning down with hands on knees, she asked, “Should I get your daddy?”

Kihoon pouted. “Why?”

“Because daddy won’t be as nice as mommy,” Namjoo lied. Patting his arm to urge him to start scrubbing, she said, “Come on. Brush your teeth.”

She waited it out with Kihoon. Letting him run out after removing his diaper. Washing her hands, she left the bathroom. Discovering the table set with food. Curious what time Sehun had gotten up to start going through her fridge.

Sehun started placing food on her plate when she sat beside Kihoon. Assuring, “I tasted it halfway. It should be ok.”

“Then, I’ll trust you.” Picking up her spoon Namjoo took a mouthful. Chewing as Sehun waited for her validation. Nodding, “It’s good.”

Breathing relief, he smiled, “I hoped so.” The smile inched wider. Turning to Kihoon, he asked, “Are you eating? You finish all that and daddy will take you somewhere fun.”

His eyes popped open. “Where?”

“Mm…” Sehun prolonged his thought, “somewhere fun.”

“Really?!” Kihoon loudly asked unable to believe this was happening. He half rose out of his chair excited.

“Sit down and eat first,” Sehun convinced. “We eat before we go.”

Jumping in his seat he glanced up at her to share the bumbling happiness. Namjoo grinned at him. Toning it down shyly when she turned to glance at Sehun.

They gathered the dishes together. Sehun joined her at the double sink when she started scrubbing the plates.

“So, what’s your plan?” Namjoo was curious handing him a bowl.

“We’ll go somewhere Kihoon can run off his energy,” Sehun answered, “and meet and play with other kids.”

Namjoo peered over her shoulder to catch a sight of Kihoon sitting in front of the television. “He’s really shy.”

“He just needs friends,” Sehun ensured. “He’s only four. He’ll start interacting with other kids once he goes to school.”

That topic again.

Namjoo replayed her parents trying to persuade her to send Kihoon to a school near them. Sehun’s parents telling her to just send him to the school Sehun had attended in his youth.

It wasn’t a subject she could ignore. Their son’s schooling was important to her. It was a vital part of his growing up and she should be thinking about it. Kihoon knew the basic numbers up to ten and recognized some letters from the alphabet, but Namjoo wasn’t equipped to teach him the more important fields.

As if sensing the same issue crossing her mind, Sehun changed the direction of their conversation. “We can worry about that some other time. I can get Kihoon ready, so why don’t you go change?”

“Do you really know where we’re going?” Namjoo looked at him with doubt.

“When he kicked me today,” Sehun pointed to his injured side, “I thought of it.”

Namjoo followed his hand and scoffed. “He gets your bad sleeping habits.”

“I don’t kick,” Sehun shook his head. Then he nudged her playfully forcing her a step to the side. She rammed back into him but he didn’t budge. Sehun laughed at her. Copying Kihoon she hit him lightly with her fist arousing more laughter from him. “Shut up.” She chided.

“Ow,” he rumbled happily, “but that hurt.”

Shaking off the water from her hands at him she turned to walk away, elated.

As promised Sehun got Kihoon dressed once she changed. They took his car just because it was what he decided. If they weren’t wasting her gas she wasn’t going to complain. Today Junhee and Eunkyung would open the restaurant. She’d stop by later in the day, but since it was Sunday, they didn’t expect much business. Take your time Junhee had told her or just not come in at all.

Namjoo was still debating when they arrived at the children’s museum. The restaurant was her responsibility. There was not a day she missed work. Every day she went in. Greeting customers. Seeing her two employees. Fulfilling duties together. They were also a small part of her family and they loved Kihoon.

Forced to put her phone away she stepped out of the car waiting while Sehun unbuckled Kihoon from his chair.

“Here?” Namjoo asked as they climbed the steps together.

Leading Kihoon by the hand, Sehun explained, “If my ribs are going to get broken someday, he should become a doctor.”

Namjoo scoffed at his idea. Joining the crowd, they entered the glass tower. Merging with human traffic as they waited to buy their pass inside. There were activities for children to actively enjoy. A tiny theater on the third floor about nature and outer space provided with an extra fee. Sehun zeroed that out. There was a play pit and a cafeteria. A rock-climbing wall exhibit for children interested in learning about terrains. Another center about careers was in the building somewhere. Kihoon could become a doctor Sehun had mused browsing through the pamphlet they received.

She had pulled out her wallet to help pay, but Sehun shoved her aside. Reminding, “We’re on a date today.”

It was their first date. Kid included.

When they got married their priority had been Kihoon. Romancing each other hadn’t been a big part of the equation. Sehun had been caught up providing for them, saving as much as he could, and tending to a new stage in life; becoming a husband, a father, a journalist. She, pleasing his parents; running between work with the mix of her changing body and making her dream a reality.

A lot had been going on their plates. The pressure. The increasing stress. Adjusting to their lives more than trying to fall hard in love.

Some peace may have found them after Kihoon was born. Discovering value in relying on each other, but they had never actually gone on a date. Only now trying to grasp a hand on the regrettable beginning because much had been left untouched.

Six months teaching them both that the empty spaces needed filling, and despite anything else they yearned to pick up the shattered pieces. If tape could put together torn paper, they had a chance.

Shy Kihoon stayed glued between them observing his surroundings. The kids at play energetically running around creating chaos. Sehun pulled him forward. Explaining to him about the models in the exhibit. Kihoon rejected taking a part of the activities five times before his curiosity got the best of him at the play pit. Finally leaving them to lunge into the ball pit with the other screaming children. Running up the inflatable rainbow hill and down the slide. Surprisingly, Kihoon searched for them at the top cutely waving. They waved back.

“I think,” Namjoo said, “this is the first time he’s not playing alone.”

“I see that.” He quietly agreed.

Namjoo ran her gaze over the dozen small heads. Reminiscing, “Your mother said you were a quiet child.”

“I was.” Cutting his eyes her way, he asked, “Are you worried?”

“Well…”

“I think Kihoon will be fine.” Sehun sounded confident. “Give him some time to grow up. Eventually, he’ll start opening up.” Smiling at her, he said, “I hear firstborns tend to be obedient and calm, and then when the second kid comes along everything dramatically changes.”

Namjoo frowned at him.

Impishly grinning, he shrugging, “It’s just what I’ve heard. I have many coworkers you know.”

“Whatever.” Namjoo mumbled.

Kihoon rioted when they called for him to leave. Although he hadn’t made a friend, he was having too much fun climbing the rainbow hill and coming down the slide. Doing it literally a thousand times. They had been standing in the same spot for over an hour.

Apparently, they weren’t the only parents with a wailing child. Namjoo spotted other parents dragging their young child away from the play room. Sniffing angrily Kihoon sat with them in the cafeteria refusing to eat what they got for him. She sighed angrily. Sehun sighed frustrated. Kihoon cried again when she threatened to throw his food away. They only managed to feed him half his sandwich before he called quits.

Namjoo returned their tray when they decided to finally leave. Upset with her Kihoon latched onto his father. Burying his entire face into Sehun’s shirt because he wouldn’t look at her.

Following the rest of the visitors into the elevator they waited for the lobby to appear on the other side. Kihoon was already dozing off. Half his drool slipping out of his mouth drenching Sehun’s shoulder.

“He must be exhausted,” Namjoo empathized a finger through Kihoon’s dark hair.

“He’s heavy.” Sehun commented.

“He’s getting taller,” Namjoo added.

“Well, I’m beat,” he said when the elevator doors opened and they filed out.

“Me, too.” Namjoo said soaking in the sight of her little family. Feeling overwhelming warmth seep through her heart fondly. Keeping up with Sehun’s slow pace she slid an arm around his waist. Meeting his smile before planting her head against his shoulder.

⸎⸎⸎⸎⸎

Amazingly, Kihoon was still knocked out by the time they arrived back. Carrying Kihoon he found the tiny room that was his and gently put him down on the bed.

“Where are his diapers?” Sehun wondered.

Entering the room lit with a nightlight, Namjoo dug through a drawer. “Here.”

“When do you think he’ll stop wearing them?” Sehun asked. Kihoon sleepily moaned when Sehun took his pants off. Tossing and turning when he put the diaper on him.

“He hates wet diapers. Soon hopefully.” Namjoo lingered by the doorway keeping an eye on him. In case Kihoon woke up, maybe, and threw a tantrum. Sehun could sense this time he’d want his mom instead.

Adjusting the blanket over him Sehun got up. Leaving the door a crack open. Peeking inside through the dimness. Listening for any sign Kihoon might get up and cry. There was nothing.

Turning around he looked at Namjoo who’d taken several steps back. “Think we have time?”

She perked up. He didn’t wait before grabbing her hand. Luring her to the bathroom. Planting his mouth against hers when he closed the door. All day he just wanted to kiss her. For stirring his heart in a thousand ways. Even without telling him outrightly she missed him or wanted him. Just letting him stay and going on the date with him was enough for his heart.

It was enough to tell him her feelings were still there.

He wasn’t in on this alone.

Namjoo could have kicked him out. He almost expected her to reject him, but she hadn’t. Earlier she had rested her head on his shoulder and his heart had exploded. It was the first time she had done that, so he kissed her harder. Pushing her into the wall and feeling her fingers climb over his jawline. Returning the wet mouth kiss.

“Lets shower together.” he breathed into .

“Ok.” She panted. She pulled off her shirt. He took it from her and tossed it to his feet. Yanking his shirt off next.

He traced his hand over her bra. Running it up the strap before kissing her cheek as he removed it. Cupping his face Namjoo brought his mouth back to hers. Letting his hands roam freely over her torso.

Cold water hit them when they stepped into the bathtub. They flinched and laughed. Relaxing when the water warmed up. Sehun ducked to wet his head under the rain of water shoving Namjoo back in the process. High on the mood they laughed the height difference off.

“I’ll shampoo your hair,” he offered. “Then you do mine.”

“Don’t get it in my eye,” she warned handing him the bottle.

“Why do you distrust me so much?” he asked squeezing a handful onto her hair. He gently massaged her scalp as she squeezed her eyes shut and gave her a peck blown by how cute she was. Scrunching her face up she shrieked and laughed. He presented her another peck and washed the shampoo off. Rotating under the shower. He had to tilt his head in order to help Namjoo reach his hair. Yelping when the shampoo rained down into his eyes.

“I told you to shut your eyes!” she scolded.

Straightening under the shower he rinsed the shampoo off. Revealing a stinging red eye. Namjoo covered giggling. Darting her eyes away then back to him.

“What?” he asked.

“You look like a freak.” She chuckled.

“I do not.” He refuted.

She continued laughing. Bending over as she grabbed his arm. “What are we going to do with your eye? What if it stays that way?”

Sehun stared at her. More awed by the fact that she was being so regular with him, like this was so normal between them. Like six months apart did not exist. Like this was not the first time they were showering together.

As if marriage, for them, had not been a complicit hell that had hurt them horribly. Leaving a dirty stain neither had been able to cope with. Coming this far only to realize they had wanted to continue coexisting, figuring out how to create a better life for Kihoon as parents.

Leaning farther down he took her giggling mouth into his lips. Releasing her with a different air hovering over them. Of want and love and romance. Forgiveness.

Namjoo blinked. Feeling the electric change between them. No longer happily giggling at him. The water continued to spill over them. Splattering against their bodies. Landing into the tub floor like pellets. Namjoo didn’t look at him as she traced a hand across his shoulder toward his collar bone. The touch of her finger teasing, light yet affectionate and calling.

Unable to restrain himself he touched her chin and led her to his mouth. Heatedly kissing her. To fill up the six months he hadn’t touched her. Groping her behind as he pulled her closer that their bodies mashed and tangled. Holding onto each other like tomorrow would split them up again and only remorseful regret would follow.

Enough of that. He didn’t want to be sad anymore. He would hold her as close as possible because he did not want another six months between them. No more wedges in their relationship. He didn’t want to see her only every Sunday when they switched Kihoon.

Drawing apart he pressed his forehead against hers. Staring into her eyes. Catching sight of her swollen lips. Breathing a soft smile. Glad he’d gotten a part of his message across.

They dried up using her towel. Dressing in her room after making sure Kihoon had not waken.

“How much do you have in there?” Sitting on the edge of the bed Namjoo gestured toward his duffel bag, now in the corner of her room.

“Enough.” He simply replied. Rolling his used clothes to the side of the bag he crossed the room to the bed. Patting his side when he lay down.

Climbing under the blanket with him Namjoo made herself comfortable. He honestly couldn’t remove his eyes from her. Excited that they were in one room, under one blanket, in one bed again. Never dreaming this would be happening right now.

“I’ll stay for a bit,” Sehun said.

“How long is a bit?” Namjoo questioned.

“A bit.” He didn’t clarify. He would never tell her. He planned to stay. He was so at peace right now.

“What about your rent?” she asked.

“I paid two years ahead,” Sehun explained. “It doesn’t matter.”

“Are you sure it’s a good idea?” she worried.

“I’ll figure it out.” Sehun told. Turning to look at her, “I can stay?”

Her eyes sparkled as she turned to look at him. He willed every invisible power to be on his side. He would give up anything to be here. With her and Kihoon. Under one roof.

No more suffering.

“You can stay.”

Sehun fought not to smile too happily. Shifting onto his side he hugged the blanket. Falling asleep beside her. Together. By morning he had curled up into her. The two of them in one room. Quietly dreaming different things but with one another.


***Well that's a lot to be happy about....for now 

***Thanks for subscribing :) I did not expect this inflow all of a sudden <3

***Last update till next week! I'm going back to work now :(