Chapter 16

HEART BEATS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

TANGLED PART 2

"What's the rush? Where are you guys going?"

"Jiyong, Thank goodness." Yuri climbs into Jiyong's car before the man can even properly stop by the curb. "Don't stop. Go! Make a U-turn."

"What?" Jiyong hits the brake, turning to look at Yuri in utter confusion. "What's going on? Is it my grandma?"

"No. It's Jessica. But your grandma is also in danger. Go, now!"

"What the hell? Yuri, you're not making any sense right now." Jiyong shifts the gear and turns the steering wheels anyway. "Where's Taeyeon? She's better at explaining stuff. Isn't she going with us?"

"No. She's trying to borrow Gautam's scooter." Yuri points at Taeyeon who's already in front of their neighbor's door.

"You gotta explain, Yuri. What's the emergency. Where are we going? The hospital?"

"Taeyeon is going to the hospital. We're going to Jessica's apartment. She called me a moment ago sounded so distressed.  Taeyeon and I heard gunshot sound before the call ended abruptly."

"What the ?"

"Yes. What the . Hurry, Ji. I think Jessica is in danger."

Jiyong presses his foot on the gas pedal, turning to look at Yuri again. "How about my grandma? What's wrong with her?"

"The hospital just called us for a code blue on her. Eyes on the road, Ji!"

"Code blue? What's code blue?"

"It means she's on a cardiac arrest."

", Yuri."

"Dr. Shim is already with her. Taeyeon will be there in a few minutes too. Jessica needs us more."

". . ." Jiyong hits his head repeatedly on the steering wheel, swearing under his breath.

"I'm sorry, Ji."

"No, you're right. Jessica first." He sighs, focusing back on the road. "I can't help my grandma much anyway. Have you called the cops on this?"

"Yes. They are heading to Jessica's apartment at the moment."

"Which apartment?"

"The one on Golden Road?"

", Yuri. She hasn't stepped her foot there since her mother's death."

"Oh, God. No. I forgot about her trauma."

"Tsk." Jiyong reaches for his phone and tosses it onto Yuri's lap. "Dial Jack!"

"Jack?" Yuri scrolls through the contact list. "This Jack Stanton?"

"No. Just Jack. Ask him to track Jessica's phone."

Yuri finds the right contact and dials in a hurry. The call is connected on the first ring with a sleepy hello greets Yuri from the other end.

"Hello. Jack?"

"Yeah, what's up?"

"Ummm, Jiyong wants you to track my friend's phone."

"Give me the number." The man on the other end says lazily.

Yuri gives Jessica's number she has memorized by heart, can't help but fear the time it will take for the tracking to be done. To her surprise, the man comes back to her barely a minute later with a complete address.

"The GPS was last active ten minutes ago on that address. Tell Jiyong he owes me a crate of beer." The man supplies before ending the call just like that.

"The GPS on Jessica's phone was last active at Fifteenth Daichi-dong. We're on the wrong road, Ji. We need to hit the highway."

"No. We're fine. I know a shortcut and I know that address."

"You know that address?"

"I was about to head there myself after picking up something from our house. That bastard!"

"Who?" Yuri asks confusedly as she presses a hand against the dashboard. Jiyong has floored the gas pedal and his car is now speeding like a bullet. "Who's address is that?"

"Jung Jeahyun. Jessica's father."

"Dr. Kim." Sehun, a first-year intern, greets Taeyeon as soon as she gets out of the elevator that has carried her to the tenth floor. "Dr. Shim is already waiting in OR 5."

"OR 5? Craniotomy?" Taeyeon doesn't wait for a beat, accepting the bag of fresh scrub that Sehun is already holding in his hands before dashing toward the afore-mentioned operation theatre."Tell me what's going on."

"I don't know much. The patient had a seizure and Dr. Shim mentioned something about aneurysm."

"!" Taeyeon gets into the scrubbing room with Sehun follows closely behind. "Are you allowed into the OR?"

"No. Only the team."

"Okay. Try to get a hold on Dr. Kwon and tell her that Mrs. Kwon is undergoing a craniotomy at the moment. Tell her to get Jiyong back to the hospital ASAP." Ignoring the fact that Sehun is now free to ogle her, Taeyeon changes into the scrub-top as she speaks.

"Yes, Dr. Kim." Sehun sensibly turns around before Taeyeon takes off her pants too.

"Anything you hear from Dr. Kwon you update me as soon as I get out of this surgery, alright?

"Yes, Dr. Kim."

"Good. Go!" Taeyeon starts washing her hands. Staring across the glass window that separates the scrub room with the OR, she can see Dr. Shim is already standing in front of Mrs. Kwon's skull.

Yuri screams out loud. Jiyong doesn't even flinch when he drives the car through the closing portal, tailing an Audi speeding before them. The security guards shout out loud, coming after them with their guns. Yuri doesn't even have the gut to look back, afraid to see bullets flying her way.

A huge mansion zooms in in front of them as Jiyong brings the car faster into the driveway. If Mrs. Kwon's abode is as huge as a football field to Yuri's eyes. Jung Jaehyun's mansion feels twice as big. It looks extra modern too. To the right of the mansion, there's a lavish garden of lily that opens to a golf course. The whole residence looks like a resort instead of a home but Yuri can't pay attention to every detail. Jiyong drives like mad and Yuri screams once more when Jiyong hits the brake hard. Behind the Audi, Jiyong's car screech into a stop right in front of the mansion.

"Yunho!" Yuri yells when she sees the driver of the Audi.

Yunho turns his head, coming out of the car looking flustered. "Yuri?"

"Hands in the air! Hands in the air or we ing shoot you!" A golf cart filled with security guards closing on them. One of the guards jumps out with a gun pointed at Jiyong. Three others move to surround them with menacing firearms in hands.

"Save your bullet, man." Jiyong nods his head toward Yunho. "We're with him."

"Sir?"

"Yunho!" Yuri dashes out of the car and grabs Yunho by the shoulders. "Something is wrong with Jessica. She called me asking for help a moment ago from this place."

"Jessica? When did the call happen?"

"About twenty minutes ago."

Yunho sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose then nods at the guards. "Let them go. They are with me."

"Are you sure, Sir?"

"Yes." Answering in a defeated tone, Yunho grabs a black bag from his car before heading toward the glass panels door. He stands in front of the biometric keypad access, pressing his left hand on the scanner to open the doors. "Come in, guys. Let's see what's my father up to this time."

"Mr. Jung." A thin middle-aged man in a crisp white dress shirt and sharp-pressed black chinos greet them. "Your father said nothing about you bringing companies."

"Cut it, Harold. My friends here said Jessica contacted them from this house a few minutes ago. Probably right before my father called me with an order to come rushing." Yunho heads straight to the bifurcated glass stairs. "What's going on? Is Jessica really in here?"

"I don't know, Sir."

Yuri gasps "I heard a gunshot when Jessica call, Yunho! This man is lying."

"Harold?"

"I think we should tell your friends to leave, Sir."

Yunho shakes his head. "Where are they, Harold? How bad is it?"

Harold now chooses to look down at the marbled floor.

"Damn it!" Yuri can't take it anymore. "Where is she? Where is Jessica?"

The man pans a questioning glance at Yunho.

"Come on, Harold." Yunho grits his teeth. "Don't make me search every room in this ing stadium-sized house. Tell me where are they?"

"They are waiting for you in your old room, Mr. Jung."

"Jessica!" Yuri overtakes Yunho on the stairs, there are so many doors on the second floor, all closed. She runs around yelling Jessica's name like mad. Fear echoes in her heart. "Jessica! Jessica!"

"What the-" Another middle-aged man, this time looking all bulky, opens one door and glares at Yuri. Behind the man's broad shoulder, Yuri sees Jessica's father sitting on a bed.

"Jessica!' Pushing pass the bulky man, Yuri barges into the room. On the bed, Jessica lays still looking pasty. The sheet underneath her feet is crimson with blood.

"What the hell? What's happening to her? Why didn't you bring her to the hospital?" Yuri immediately jumps onto the bed. There is this thick cloth wrapped around Jessica's thigh and it's soaked already. ", did you shoot her? Did you shoot her?"

Even after all the screams, Jessica's father only sighs weakly. Pressing two fingers on Jessica's neck to feel her pulse, Yuri has to hold herself from slapping the man across his face.

"The bullet didn't even get inside. It's just a graze." The bulky man speaks from the door.

"It's not a graze if she bleeds that much, Jo." Yunho gets into the room and climbs onto the bed too. "Who did this? You? With what gun?"

The man glances at a hunting rifle sitting on the vanity.

"." Yunho groans, opening the black bag in front of him and pulls out some medical equipment from it. "How is her pulse, Yuri?"

"Weak. Very weak." Yuri glances quickly at the watch around Jessica's wrist as she unwraps the bandage. "Almost half an hour since she called me. If the bullet hit her artery she has lost too much already. Please tell me you have some IV in that bag."

"Just some saline." Yunho pulls out a pouch of saline solution.

"Damn it, Yunho. She needs RL."

"This is all we've got right now." Yunho tosses a box then a large pouch from his bag to Yuri's hands. "Asses her wound. I'll hook the saline in."

"Jiyong, calls the ambulance!" Yuri pulls out a pair of gloves from the box and puts them on. "We need to get Jessica to the hospital now."

"No!" Te bulky man suddenly whips a pistol out and points it at Yuri's head. "It's just a graze, you can't fix it right, Yunho?"

"Oh for sake, Jo! Keep the damned gun away! We've had enough mess already." Yunho turns to glare at his father. "And you, dad? How can you let this happen?"

"It was an accident. She didn't listen to me. I was in so much stress." The old man now gives Yunho a begging look.

"You were the one who shot her? Not Jo?" Yunho works an IV needle into the vein on the back of Jessica's hand. "God damn it, Dad. You've gone too far. Haven't you got any love left for us?"

"I didn't-"

"Don't say anything, Sir." Jo, the man who holds the firearm, shouts. "These other people might call the police on us."

"Too late." Jiyong opens his mouth from the open dir. "A full force police team is already on the way."

"What the ?" Jessica's father's hopeless look fades into anger as he gets up from the bed and comes for Jiyong. "Did you call them? How dare you?"

"They come to arrest you for an old crime, Mr. Jung." Jiyong whips his phone out. "A very old crime. Now all I need to do is calling an ambulance."

"Drops that phone!" The bulky man now aims his gun at Jiyong."No cops! No ambulance! Mr. Jung, I'm calling my team in, we should clean the scene and move your daughter out of this mansion before the cops come.."

"You drop that damn gun!" Jiyong easily sends a kick that throws the gun out of the man's hands. "I won't let you run away. It's the end for both of you."

"!" The man tries to reach for the gun but Jiyong throws a fist at him. Jessica's father comes in too, grabbing Jiyong's arms from behind.

"Dad, Stop it!" Yunho Jumps out of the bed to break them up. "We need to save Jessica!"

Yuri sees the four of them tangled in a fight but too busy to pay attention. Upon unwrapping the cloth around Jessica's thigh, she can see that it's not just a graze. Blood seeps steadily from the open wound, telling her that a major vein might have been impacted by the bullet.

"Yunho! Help me!" She reaches for Yunho's bag, searching for something to use as a tourniquet. "Jiyong! Where's the ing ambulance. Jessica is bleeding out!"

Nobody answers her. A gunshot rings in the air instead. A loud bang that echoes in the room and creates fear in Yuri's heart. When she whips her head to see, hands busy applying pressure on Jessica's bleeding thigh, she sees both Jiyong and Yunho fall to the floor. The gun, still has a little bit of smoke coming out from its muzzle, is gripped tightly in the bulky man's hands.

"Are you crazy?" Yuri yells at Jessica's father who seems to freeze in shock. "Stop this! Stop this before you kill all of us!"

"Where's Yuri?" Dr. Shim asks as his fingers skillfully guide the dissectors in his hands into Mrs. Kwon's head. "I can't do this alone."

"She's saving Jessica." Taeyeon lets the nurse put the surgery gown on her.

"What?"

"Jessica called. Panic and all. We heard gunshot too."

"What the heck?" Dr. Shim swore under his breath.

"My thought exactly. Should I call somebody else? I don't think I can help you with this."

"No time." Dr. Shim squints into the microscope. "I need someone to deal with the hemorrhage while I clip the aneurysms."

Taeyeon looks down at her open palms. "What If my hands tremble again?"

"You can't. I'm not allowing you."

"But-"

"Goddamn it, Taeyeon. Didn't you hear me? Aneurysms. Plural. There are two of these ing time bombs! Get in here!"

Taeyeon gulps, getting into position. Through the microscope, she can see where the hemorrhage is.

"Start suctioning." Dr. Shim doesn't even lookup. "When the field is clear I need you to help clamping one of these blood vessels. We both need to work simultaneously."

"Right." Steeling herself, Taeyeon opens her palm at the scrub nurse. "Suction."

Carefully, Taeyeon gets the device into the opening on Mrs. Kwon's skull. She knows if her hands tremble even just a little bit, the soft tissue of Mrs. Kwon's brain is at risk.

"Ready?" Dr. Shim asks as his hands move fast.

Taking a deep breath, Taeyeon nods. "Ready."

"See? No trembling." Dr. Shim grins as he washes his hands under the tap in the scrub room. "It was just some mental stuff."

"Yeah." Taeyeon stares at her hands that are still dripping with water, grinning like an idiot. "I'm so glad it was."

"Good job in there, Taeyeon." Dr. Shim throws a towel at her. "I could see how great of a neurosurgeon you can actually be."

"Save the compliment for Yuri. She's the one who can actually be a neuro goddess."

"How is she? Has she found Jessica?"

"Right. I forgot." Taeyeon grabs her phone from inside the locker beside the scrub drawer. Just before she rings Yuri, a call from the ER center comes in.

"Dr. Kim?" A nurse speaks from the other end.

"Yes."

"You're needed in the ER. Gunshots traumas incoming."

"I'll be right there." She tucks the phone into the pocket of her scrub, looking up at Dr. Shim. "I'm sorry, Dr. Shim. I have to go. ER calls."

"Go. Update me on Jessica as soon as you can, alright?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter