Chapter 10

HEART BEATS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Love Is In The Air

They are sitting on the couch, watching F.R.I.E.N.D.S. The one where Ross got high. Taeyeon has her head laid on Yuri's lap, eyes glued to the screen. Her hand is busy stuffing with the cassava chips from the bag on the coffee table. Yuri, despite her distaste of junk food, chooses to say nothing because she knows Taeyeon won't appreciate any health advice at the time being.

"I did the right thing, right?" Taeyeon's remark is followed by another handful of chips. Stress eating is one of Taeyeon's prided virtue but Yuri never saw her eating this much of chips before.

"You did the dumbest thing." Yuri sighs, lifting Taeyeon's head so she can't get off the couch. "Giving Dr. Webber your resignation letter one week before the intern exam is plain dumb."

"I want Jiyong to succeed. I want to give him a chance to prove himself."

"He's a grown man. He can fend for himself. You, on the other hand, is an intern who needs this program more than anything in your life right now." Taking a bottle of water from the fridge, Yuri comes back to the living area and puts it beside Taeyeon's chips bag. "Here. Have some water ready if you want to flood your bloodstream with that much of salt."

"Thank you." Taeyeon sits up, chugging the water down, then gets back to her chips.

"Besides, you can't jump into another hospital just like that. You have to take me with you." It's a true protest coming out of a true friend. They have known each other for ages. Inseparable since kindergartens. Yuri can't imagine a life without Taeyeon. "I can't  survive KJY teaching hospital without you."

"You can. You have to."

"I don't want to." Opting to sit on the rug, Yuri watches Taeyeon eating. She doesn't really like this idea of working away from Taeyeon even for a bit.

"You sound like a needy girlfriend right now." Snorting at Joey's scene on TV, Taeyeon doesn't even glance at her best friend. "Save it for Jessica."

"And you act like a stupid girlfriend right now. There's no guarantee that an interning position is available elsewhere. You can't just leave and throw away one-year worth of hard work for a man."

"Worry not. There's an open position in Mercy West."

"Mercy West? You might as well choose some shady clinic in Timbuktu."

"They agree to give me a chance to continue with residency instead of making me repeat the whole intern year. I just need to pass the exam."

". You had this planned."

"Damn right, I am."

"All for one man." Feeling Taeyeon's stress slowly transferring into herself, Yuri takes a piece of chip and put it in . "A stupid man."

"I thought you like Jiyong." Taeyeon possessively grabs the bag and inches away on the sofa.

"Not when he does something stupid like this." Doing some expert Yoga moves to get her hand the extra flexibility, Yuri tries to reach for the bag of chips but Taeyeon holds it up high. "I meant, come on, how could he let you go just like that? He's a CEO for god's sake. Can't he just yell at someone and make things right?"

"I did not let her go just like that." Somehow appearing behind the couch, Jiyong snatches the bag and climbs onto the couch in his working attire. "I put up a fight too, you know? I even yelled a little. The enemies are just too powerful."

"I didn't know you are home," Yuri mumbles, sitting back on the floor feeling uneasy for calling him stupid. Jiyong looks tired. The handsome grey suit he has on can not hide the remnant of work he carry behind his eyes.

"Just arrived from a grueling meeting." Jiyong takes a handful of chips. "In time to hear you calling me out for giving up on Taeyeon."

"Sorry."

"You are 99% right though. I should have done more." Loosening the burgundy tie around his neck, Jiyong stuffs the chips into his mouth.

"No, Ji. You've done more than enough." Taeyeon throws Yuri a sharp glare. "He can't go against his grandma any further without hurting both our careers, Yuri. You know we shouldn't upset the great Kwon Jiyoon."

"One of these days I will flip the table on that old woman." Yuri frowns.

"How? By getting into her dearest granddaughter's pants?" Taeyeon snickers.

"Maybe. She seems conservative. I want to see her expression when she catches me and Jessica in bed."

Jiyong chuckles. Taeyeon too.

"What? You guys think I can't do it? I'm the of this house, remember? I'll drag Jessica here and make you guys regret laughing at me."

"You lost that title almost a year ago, babe." Patting Yuri's head, Jiyong stands up. "Your -life is a cemetery now. Besides, I hardly see Jessica as someone who can be dragged around. She's the type of girl who will club your head and haul you to her cave before you can even wink at her."

"Oh that's a very lively image. We have to be there when Jessica clubs her head." Grinning at Jiyong, Taeyeon holds his wrist. "Where are you going with my chips, Mr. CEO?"

"To the kitchen. There must be something there I can whip to replace this bag of salt."

"Nope. I like my bag of salt." Trying to reach for the bag, Taeyeon sports her best lost-puppy look. "Give my bag of salt back."

Jiyong has none of it though, walking to the kitchen beckoning for Yuri. "Come on, Yuri. Help me fix this deranged lady some salad."

"Noooo." Groaning on the couch like the little baby she is, Taeyeon smacks Yuri's as the girl standing up. "You guys are ruining my weekend. Saturday night and salad do not belong to each other."

"You're heading to Mercy West. The graveyard of interns. You need all the healthy meals you can get." Yuri sticks her tongue out, power walking to the kitchen.

"Mercy West?" Jiyong asks while rummaging the vegetables container in the fridge. "Isn't that the hospital near the border?"

"Yep. Homegirl has her heart set on saving you." Yuri gets a chopping board and a knife out of the cabinet above the kitchen sink. "She handed a resignation letter to Dr. Webber this afternoon."

"Well, that explains." Jiyong puts avocados, baby spinach, and a pack of pumpkin seeds on the counter. "He tried to talk to me after the meeting, looking upset and all."

"I bet he roasted you good. Taeyeon is his favorite."

 "He didn't get a chance to, getting called for emergency surgery. He contacted me as I rode home though, demanding me to talk to him first thing in the morning tomorrow."

"Prepare to get roasted then. Dr. Webber won't let Taeyeon go just like that."

"I won't let her go just like that too, Yuri." Jiyong finishes putting the spinach into the silicone strainer, staring into Yuri's eyes. "I'm trying to find a way out at the moment. I'm sure there's a way out."

"People falling in love all the times in our workplace. Some even openly hump each other in supply closet." Yuri sighs, washing the avocados under the sink before taking the strainer from Jiyong's hand and washes the spinach too. "Your grandmother just loves to make hell out of everything."

"She has her reason."

"Don't defend her, please."

"You don't know the whole story, Yuri."

"I don't think I want to know. This side of the story is already complicated enough."

"Just focus on the intern exam. The two of you." Jiyong washes his hands then starts cutting the avocados into thin wedges. "Let me handle the rest."

"Can you even handle your grandma?"

"I will find a way around her. Your silly best friend there," He points at oblivious Taeyeon with the knife. "I can't fail her. She's too precious for me."

At Jiyong's sweet words, despite her worried heart, Yuri smiles.

"What are you doing here?"

Yuri nearly gets herself a whiplash for looking at the source of such a sudden question. Jessica, in a perfect blue sweater and tight jeans, is standing by her side glaring.

"Ummm. Drinking?" Yuri lifts her full glass of somaek from the bar counter.

"Here in Funky Rabbit? You're trying to hook up with Max again, aren't you?"

"No." A little annoyed, Yuri chugs half of the liquid. "Just winding up at the comfy place I like."

Jessica frowns, crossing her hands on her chest.

"Even if do, I have every right to." Yuri looks away. Knowing her words is upsetting the fierce resident, she adds a challenging grin. "This a free country and I'm a free woman."

"No." Taking Yuri's glass and gulps the rest of the drink, Jessica then tugs at Yuri's hand. "Let's go."

"What? No."

"I said let's go."

A little reluctantly, Yuri follows the girl. While she hates it when Jessica acts all bossy like this, she's a little curious too.

"Hey, Alan. Tell Soojoo I'm heading out for some urgent matters." Jessica drags Yuri to where a blonde man dancing while chugging vodka straight from the bottle.

"What? Our party hasn't even started yet. Dami is still on the way." The man stops moving, staring at Yuri. "Who's she?"

"A friend. You guys go ahead without me." Jessica waves at the bartender before pointing at the man. "Karl, put my friends' tabs on me!"

The bartender gives Jessica her thumb up.

"Her tab too." She points at Yuri's now-empty glass on the counter, practically dagging Yuri away while waving at Alan who's already back into dancing mode. "See ya, Alan!"

"Can you slow down?" Yuri asks when they reach the parking lot. "I'm trying to enjoy my Saturday night here."

"Why don't you stay at home? Don't you have a shift tomorrow? You can't clock in with alcohol in your blood."

"I switch with Irene."

"Oh." Jessica stops, looking a little embarrassed as she let go of Yuri's hand.

"May I go back in now?" Yuri rubs her wrist. It's sore but she kind of wanting to keep Jessica's mark there forever.

"No."

"Why?"

"I don't want you to meet Max here."

"Why?"

"He said he wants you. He challenges me, said I won't win you."

"Wow. Nice to know that I'm nothing but a pawn in the game you play against each other." Yuri sighs, walking away. "I'm getting back inside."

"No. Stay with me."

"Is that an order?" Yuri stops, turning her head. "I thought you already learn how to say please."

"Please, Yuri." Grabbing Yuri's wrist once more, Jessica gently tugs at it. "Stay."

"Why?"

"Listen. I'm not really good at this so please bear with me."

"Okay, you confuse me now. Spill."

Taking a deep breath, Jessica takes a step forward. "I want you to stay away from Max."

"Because you can't sand losing from anyone?"

"No." Jessica her lips, looking away for a few seconds before focusing back on Yuri. "Because I like you. A lot."

A truck passes on the street ahead of them, creating gush of wind that sweep Jessica's hair to the side. A halo of light created by the street lamps makes her look ethereal. Jessica is so mesmerizing to look at but it's her confession that melts Yuri inside this time. Taking a deep breath to calm herself, Yuri leans forward and decides to tease. "What did you say? I didn't hear you well."

"You..." Jessica frowns, tugging at Yuri's hand. She looks so cute frustrated like this. "Just let me drive you home."

"Why?"

"Stop asking why. It's getting annoying."

"You are annoying. I don't want to go home. Taeyeon and Jiyong are binge-watching F.R.I.E.N.D.S while making out on the couch. I'm not going to spend my Saturday night being a third-wheel."

"Be my second wheel then." Jessica takes out her car keys from her Hermes sling bag. "Let's drive somewhere else."

"Are you taking me on a date?"

"Yes. You can call it a date. Now stop asking questions."

"Alright then." Acting cool, Yuri tries her best to keep the giddiness within. "Let's go on a date."

"How drunk are you?" Jessica asks as they walk for her car.

"You stole half of my first somaek for tonight. I'm as aware as I can be."

"Here." She puts the keys on Yuri's palm. "You drive."

"Where to?" Pressing the key to unlock the door, Yuri gets behind the wheel. It's a Mercedes Benz this time. Jessica probably has the new Audy chucked in a garbage bin somewhere.

"Suprise me," Jessica says while taking a seat beside Yuri. "Take me to a place you like."

Rising her eyebrows, Yuri puts the car into ignition. "Are you sure?"

"Uh uh."

"Prepare yourself then." Gently pressing the gas pedal, Yuri grins at her attractive companion. "We're about to have the most fun Saturday Night ever."

"You call this fun? What are you, a five-year-old?"

Yuri laughs, tugging at Jessica's hand. The colorful sign curving above the entrance they have just passed says Candy Land. In front of them, spreads a night fair where parents usually take their kids for some cheap fun and young men play games to win their girls' heart. Lights are blinking and colorful balloons adore every corner.

"Trust me." Yuri walks while swinging Jessica's hand. She knows this place by heart. There's some sense of warmth engulfing her the moment she saw the sign from the parking lot. This feels like home.

"They are closing, Yuri. It's already late."

"Sssssh."

At this time of the night, there are not many people left in the fair. Food stalls and all sort of attractions are starting to close as Yuri takes Jessica straight to the furthest corner of the fair

"Mino!"

"Whoa, Yuri!" A young man who's busy making cotton candy in a stainless machine stops what he's doing and jumps to give Yuri a hearty hug. "You finally come!"

"Eyy, I'm a woman of my words."

"Yeah. Yeah. It only takes you two years to keep your promise. Here, come sit down." He kicks two empty barrels closer to the machine. "Who's this pretty unnie? Where's Taeyeon?"

"This is my dear friend, Jessica. Taeyeon is a little too occupied at the moment but I'll make sure she'll visit too."

"Tell her to hurry we're moving south next month." Using the towel around his neck to pats the barrels clean, Mino gestures for them to sit down.

"Will do."

"Yuri and Taeyeon used to work with us." Grinning, Mino resumes making the cotton candy. "Our company moves around a lot but they still keep in contact, my dearest big sisters."

"You worked in this night fair?" Jessica turns her head at Yuri, looking amazed.

"Mino's family come from the same town with Taeyeon and I. Back in high school, we used to work for his kind grandfather for extra allowance. Back then, Candy Land organized only a few merchants with boats at the dock."

"Cool. What stall you commandeered, Yuri?"

"We switched turns every month. Yuri was famous for glaring at every couple who comes to her attraction stall." Mino laughs. "She made kids cry too."

"Noooo. I was your grandpa's favorite employee."

"Liar." Mino flourishingly presents the flower-shaped cotton candy he just made to Jessica. "For you, Jessica unnie, because your eyes twinkle like the stars and that blue sweater brings out the light in them."

"No." Yuri takes the cotton candy before Jessica can reach for it. "I'll make one for her myself. Move away!"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter