Chapter 5: Mrs. Lee

The Stray Cat
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A loud ring woke up a girl wearing a white coat.

"Hello?"

[Doctor Minjoo, sorry to disturb you when it's not your duty right now but there's currently an emergency we can't deal with right now. We're short of people.]

"Okay."

The girl immediately got up her feet and ran towards the emergency room where the hospital staff were scurrying about. It seems like there was a big accident that happened which required multiple patients to arrive within/ just a few minutes.

"Doctor Minjoo! Over here!"

Minjoo ran towards one of the emergency beds where the voice came from. She felt her heart drop when she saw the sight in front of her but she quickly composed herself and checked the pregnant woman who was in a grave state.

Looks like the dad is going to make a big decision.

"Where's her guardian?"

"Sorry doc, sadly, her husband has been sent earlier and is currently being operated on. There are no other relatives we can contact to ask for consent. We can't save the two of them."

The doctor remained silent before glaring at the nurse, "No, I'm Doctor Kim Minjoo. I'll save them both."

--

Minjoo in her scrubs plopped down the sofa of her office then groaned. It took hours to finish the surgery she performed on her pregnant patient but her fatigue instantly went away when she thinks about the fact that she was able to save the mother and the baby. She even overheard about the success of the operation on the woman's partner which only makes her feel even better.

"Minmin?"

A sweet voice came from the door of her office which made her sit up. It seems like an angel has come to visit her, an angel she loves so much who's gonna be hers really soon. A smile crept up her haggard but still beautiful face.

"Hey, Chae..."

"You look so tired. You didn't even hear me knock."

"Oh, sorry. I only slept for three hours today and have just finished a long operation."

"Again?"

"It was an emergency."

Chaewon hummed and sat beside Minjoo, letting the younger girl's head rest on her shoulder.

"I saved both the baby and the mother... the baby won't... experience the same things I experienced..." The girl weakly said with a smile.

"You've done well. I'm so proud of you. Rest for now, okay?" Minjoo only gave a low hum while snuggling closer to Chaewon who was soothingly her hair.

It didn't take a minute for the younger girl to start breathing steadily. She was just so exhausted from her daily duties as both a gynecologist and an emergency doctor. It worries Chaewon but she's still supportive of her. She's living her dream job and there's nothing more joyful than that.

Suddenly, the younger girl's private phone started vibrating. Chaewon reached for her phone and checked the call. Great. It's her cousin. Of course, she calls Chaewon's fiancee almost every day out of worry for Sakura.

"Hello?"

[Chaewon? Where's Minjoo?]

"She just fell asleep, unnie." Chaewon chuckled. "Is there anything wrong?"

[N-nothing. It's just... Sakura has been bugging me about something but I'm not so sure if it's safe.]

Chaewon's eyebrows raised from amusement. "What is it about?"

[Sh-she says she wants to go see Tokyo Skytree out of nowhere and has been throwing tantrums since I told her no at first.]

"Oh, so it's about traveling then?" Chaewon couldn't stop herself from giggling which made the girl on her shoulder to wake up.

"Who are you talking to while giggling cutely like that?" Minjoo muttered in a low tone, eyes emotionless surprising Chaewon but a smile appeared on the older girl's face. Her jealous fiancee is just too adorable in her eyes no matter what she does. She gently bopped Minju's nose then kissed her forehead.

"Sorry for waking you up. It's no one you have to be jealous about. Chaeyeon-unnie just wants to ask something." Chaewon passed the phone back to Minjoo who let her head fall on Chaewon's lap like a child.

"Unnie? What's wrong" Minjoo reached for Chaewon's face while staring up at her affectionately.

[Why do I feel like you're flirting with Chaewon right now...]

"Bingo." Chaewon answered her cousin.

Minju giggled, her dimples showing. This made Chaewon lean forward and kiss her. She just couldn't control the urge to capture Minjoo's lips when she smiles. God knows how whipped she is for her. Suddenly, they started to deepen the kiss, actually forgetting about the phone call.

[...yeah, I think I'm disturbing you.]

Minjoo pulled away from their kiss. "Sorry, sorry. It's because Chaewon kissed me."

Chaewon rolled her eyes. "As if you're not the one who pulled me even closer when all I want was a peck."

[Hey. Is nobody going to answer my question? Please at least reply to me! Saku-chan is on the verge of crying!] Chaeyeon started whining from the other line which made the lovers laugh.

"Sorry, unnie. I think it's fine to travel." Chaewon was the one to answer Chaeyeon's question from earlier. She then faced Minjoo who didn't know what the older inquired about. "She was asking if it's fine for Sakura-unnie to travel to Tokyo."

"Oh. The second trimester is the best time to travel for pregnant women, unnie. It's okay to bring her there. Just be careful not to make her too stressed, okay?"

[Okay got it. Thanks!]

--

[Be careful during your travel! Have a safe trip.] Chaeyeon could hear Chaewon and Minjoo chuckling over the phone.

"Yeah, yeah. You can continue doing whatever you were doing earlier. Don't get too wild in the office though." This time, it was Chaeyeon who was laughing before she dropped the call when the two started rebutting her.

She faced the sad Sakura who was curled up on t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter