Chapter 12: New

The Stray Cat
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sakura marveled at the sight the moment she got out of the hospital. The skies were painted with light of yellow and orange clouds while the sun’s harsh glare had already softened. It was quite late in the afternoon and she knows that the day is about to end when she was discharged.

“Unnie, Chaeyeon-unnie says she’s here now.”

“Alright.” She looked back to smile at Minjoo, who was pushing her wheelchair. The doctor had just pocketed her phone inside her coat after speaking with Chaeyeon on the phone.

When a black and luxurious-looking SUV that she couldn’t recognize pulled up in front of her, Sakura automatically held the sleeping Wonyoung tighter. It was her maternal instincts kicking. She didn’t know why that car pulled up but when the windows rolled down and revealed a smiling Chaeyeon who muttered a soft, “Hey. Let’s get you guys inside,” she almost immediately threw her a puzzled look.

“I’ve never seen this car before.”

Chaeyeon smiled wryly.

“You see, unnie, Miss CEO right there bought it yesterday so you won’t have trouble getting inside the car since she only had coupes to drive.” Minjoo chuckled. “Don’t be surprised yet. She has something more to show you.”

“Hey! Stop exposing me and don’t spoil the surprise!” Chaeyeon exclaimed as Sakura eyed her, who just got out of the car to assist her.

Minjoo shrugged while helping Sakura stand up on her feet. “You know, I’d faint if it was me who’s to be surprised so as her doctor, I decided to give her a forewarning.”

The Japanese squinted her eyes at Chaeyeon as the girl seemingly busied herself with assisting her lover, acting as if she heard nothing. 

“What did you do?”

“Watch your head, baby.” Chaeyeon softly warned her while using her hand as a cushion for her head in case she bumps it.

On the other hand, Sakura continued staring at her girlfriend with a look of doubt as she very carefully entered the backseat of the newly bought car with their newborn daughter.

“You’re really hiding something….”

Chaeyeon laughed nervously before closing the door for her. She grinned at Minjoo, and ruffled the younger’s hair then jogged towards the driver’s seat to get away from the doctor’s narrowed and judging eyes — she just ended up laughing at her unnie’s antics anyways.

“Minjoo-ya, don’t forget to visit us!” Chaeyeon peeked from the window of the car.

“Alright, alright. I hope there won’t be an emergency.” The doctor smiled at them. Her worried gaze soon landed on her previous patient who was looking at Wonyoung with loving eyes. “Unnie, don’t push yourself too much, okay? It’s only been two days since you gave birth so be careful of your wound.”

“Yes, ma’am.” Sakura smiled.

“Good.” Minjoo beamed at the couple. “Take care! See you later!”

“See you later!” Sakura answered back automatically. “Wait, later? What do you mean— Ya! Lee Chaeyeon why did you drive off when I’m not even done talking yet!” Sakura threw a glare at Chaeyeon but melted when she saw her pouting while watching Minjoo laugh out loud from the rear-view mirror.

“Hey, why are you sulking at her?” She laughs.

“She spills too much information.”

The older sighed in resignation before chuckling. “If I could, I would’ve pinched your nose right now. That was quite rude though.”

“I know.” The younger whispers. “But I’m not sorry.”

Soon, serenity occupied their space. Sakura silently observed Chaeyeon while driving, her eyes following every detailed movement of her girlfriend. From how her pretty hands held the wheel leisurely to how her right hand smoothly grabs the shifter. Even the way she sometimes traced the logo of the car — that three-pointed star inside a circle. It was a habit she does when she’s completely absorbed with driving, a habit that only Sakura knows. It didn’t escape from her eyes. Of course, she also noticed Chaeyeon’s puffy cheeks, realizing that her girlfriend still seemed to be pouting even after almost five minutes had passed.

“Why are you being pouty?” She stared at the back of Chaeyeon’s head instead of locking eyes with her through the mirror because that’s a rather dangerous thing to do knowing how easily lost they get at each other’s orbs.

“You don’t seem to be happy about the car.”

Sakura raises her eyebrows. “What do you mean? I’m actually really happy and I would’ve showered you kisses when I first saw it if I was well enough but that isn’t the case.” She chortles. “But it’s not just that. More than the car, I want to look at you, driving from this seat. It’s a really cool view here although you’ve been sulking since we left. You’re always so breathtakingly beautiful.”

Chaeyeon felt her heart skip a beat from her girlfriend’s flirty words. She was rather thankful that they started talking at an intersection with a red light as she really doesn’t want any accident happening simply because she got flustered by Sakura’s bold statement. 

The driver clears but Sakura stares at her visible red ear instead, mumbling a small “Cute…” while giggling to herself.

The comfortable silence between them continued.

Sakura finally let her eyes wander outside. She looked at the view from the window as they drove past the numerous familiar buildings, the same monotonous and busy scene she gets when they go home after Chaeyeon drove her around during her pregnancy. She smiled as she reminisced the time when the baby cradled in her arms was still inside her. Those were the moments when the romance between her and the girl in front of her slowly blossomed.

As they passed through the bridge where she and Chaeyeon first met, she felt rather emotional. Wonyoung, their baby. Thinking about it, she’s the bridge which made them; the two strangers with a rather unique connection, meet for the first time. It was as if fate brought them together through an angel.

She smiles further.

She knows that in a few minutes, they’ll finally arrive home as Chaeyeon’s unit was just a few blocks away from the bridge. She felt excited, excited that Wonyoung will finally arrive at their cozy home for the first time. It made her giddy... but that feeling was immediately replaced with confusion. 

“Chaeyeon?”

Chaeyeon hummed in response.

“Wait. Are you sure we should be going this way?” Sakura kept her eyes on the not so familiar rows of stores that they continued passing by. She was baffled when Chaeyeon didn’t turn to the usual corner of the neighborhood to get to where her condominium is located. Instead of doing so, she continued driving forward, treading the busy highway with other cars.

Chaeyeon smiled and nodded. “As sure as my feelings for you, babe.”

Sakura fr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter