Chapter 13: The One She Left Behind

The Stray Cat
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A piercing cry resounded inside a dimly-lit bedroom making two adults groan from their sleep. They sluggishly got up, seemingly dragging their leaden body to move but the glint in their eyes showed alertness as they tried to pacify the wailing infant lying between the two of them. The taller of the couple immediately reached for the switch to open the lights to illuminate the place better, shortly revealing their baby’s puffy face flushed from the crying. 

“Saku-chan, do you think she’s hungry?” Chaeyeon stifled a yawn while her hand reached for her child, adjusting the beanie on Wonyoung’s small head. 

Honestly, it hasn’t even been an hour since they started sleeping but it seems like they’ll need to rest later instead and shower their little angel attention for now. The couple's worried gaze never left their child. Although the bags under their eyes have been getting worse these past few days, it didn’t stop them from pushing themselves just to care for Wonyoung. They knew it was their duty to nurse her and albeit draining, the sight of their child energizes them to the fullest — well, psychologically and emotionally at least. 

“I guess she needs food.” Sakura muttered her agreement affectionately as she decided to cradle Wonyoung who was still securely wrapped in her pink unicorn-patterned blanket.

The newborn almost immediately stopped crying the moment Sakura carried her as if she knew that she’s about to be fed by her mother.

“Look at this. Such a mama’s girl that you are.” Chaeyeon chuckled but ended up yelping when she felt Sakura’s grip on her arm the moment Wonyoung latched on her.

“S-sorry, babe. It just hurts so much right now.” Sakura bit her lower lip as she tried to bear the physical pain of feeding Wonyoung with her lesser sore side. It was a given that her body is still not used to it even after a week or two of giving birth but that doesn’t mean it’ll be like that until Wonyoung stops feeding on her. She was aware that it would take a few more days till the pain gets away and of course, she’s willing to tolerate absolutely everything she has to go through just for her daughter. 

Chaeyeon laughed wryly. “Thankfully, my wrist is fully healed.” She smiled as she laced their hands together to let Sakura take out the discomfort she was feeling on her by gripping her hand instead. 

It was way better than just looking at her lover who’s enduring the pain alone with tears on the brink of rolling down her cheeks. At least the older feels the comfort from her hand. She remembers that one certain night during Sakura’s pregnancy — when she told her that holding her hand felt like it completed something that was missing in her, that it was as if her heart was wrapped by a warm blanket. From that moment onwards, the younger would sometimes find herself lonely too, especially when their hands didn’t intertwine at least once a day. In times when she had to attend an important meeting and not meet Sakura for more than twenty-four hours due to an important schedule at work, she would miss her presence and become a ‘sadistic emo who hates the world’ — as per Nako’s words. She’d make their company’s workers whimper in submission when she starts asking for things to get done double-time. It was done just so she could meet Sakura as soon as possible, however, and her workers knew that they would be paid double during that same day too so they would do their best to reach the goal for those days. In short, a win-win situation. 

Chaeyeon was brought back to reality when she felt Sakura’s strong grip once again. She decided to gently bring the back of Sakura’s hand to her lips while locking eyes with her as she gave her her sweetest smile, sleepiness long gone. Her action painted the cheeks of her lover a rosy hue.

“Say, Chaeyeon…” Sakura muttered softly.

“Hmm?” She hummed as she rubbed circles on her lover’s skin with her thumb.

“I… I think we need to change her diaper too.” 

“...”

“...”

“...now that you mentioned it.” Chaeyeon sniffed around her. “...I think we do.”

Sakura chortled at her antics. “Please prepare the warm water on the kidney tray.”

“Alright. Wait a bit.” She stands up to prepare to change diapers but of course, not without leaving a chaste kiss on Sakura’s forehead. The small gesture made her lover smile so she gave her a victorious grin and soft bop on the nose. Her eyes then gravitated on their small one, busy ling on her mother. 

Chaeyeon almost felt like she turned into a gooey substance at the sight. She fought against the urge to kiss Wonyoung’s irresistible round, fluffy cheek as it continued moving while she got fed. 

‘A baby’s skin is still extremely sensitive.’ 

She remembered one of Minjoo’s constant warnings and her deadly glare when she caught Chaeyeon about to kiss Wonyoung’s cheek. She couldn’t really forget how the doctor literally took out her laptop and showed a PowerPoint presentation just to explain why none of them should kiss Wonyoung’s cheeks. She chuckled. In the CEO’s defense, no one can blame her for having trouble trying to keep herself from being all mushy because of their first newborn. Why? Wonyoung is adorable, unbelievably adorable that it always felt like a glimpse of her could send someone to the hospital simply because of her cuteness. She was a ball of sunshine, delicate like red-seeded dandelions but no words could clearly describe her.

“Hnng. I love you, my baby.” The younger decided to kiss the crown of Wonyoung’s head, the smell of baby wafting through her senses. 

Yep. If it’s right here, it’s safe.

Chaeyeon grinned. Her baby’s scent is just angelic. It made her calm and giddy. It’s downright tempting and makes her want to just squish her child. 

“You should go before you get stuck here trying to kiss Wonyoung because you couldn’t resist her.” Sakura laughed at her. She knew this would happen since she noticed how Chaeyeon is easily distracted by their baby. It would take her minutes to leave due to Wonyoung. It even came to the point where she wouldn’t get shocked if her girlfriend ends up spoiling Wonyoung way too much.

“Sorry.” Chaeyeon wryly scratched her cheek before quickly scuttling across their spacious room to do what she was supposed to do.

“Honestly...” The older chortled while shaking her head.

 

--

 

“You guys look like the undead.” Nako cackled at the sight of a dying Chaeyeon and Sakura. “This is worse than Yena and Yuri’s time after Yujin was born.”

“Just zip your mouth and try to loo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter