Chapter 9: Accident

The Stray Cat
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was the cold summer evening of the last day of August, the thirty-first of the month.

A day had gone by since Sakura was finally admitted to the hospital to prepare for her delivery. For the past month and a half, there were a couple of times where she almost delivered early which gave her and Chaeyeon quite the scare. Now, she was only less than a few hours away from giving birth. She could feel a mix of two emotions. Both nervousness and excitement were whirling into a pool in her mind and it's rather... uncomfortable. She was pretty sure, however, that the excitement is much greater than the nervousness she's feeling.

She had wondered if she was going to go through the same thing she's seen on the dramas or read on comics when a character is about to give birth yet it turns out that reality was more boring and bland. Still, it was reassuring. She doesn't need to wait for a normal labor contraction to happen and be sent to the hospital just in time to (dramatically) deliver the baby. As she had a personal doctor (Minjoo) who was constantly checking up on her, it was a rather peaceful pregnancy for her and she can only be thankful for that.

She had to admit. The first trimester was hellish considering that she was all alone with no one to depend on. Sakura was just grateful to the gods that she met someone like Chaeyeon... no... she was thankful that she met Chaeyeon herself, not just someone like her. The girl is a real-life angel, someone too selfless and extremely kind and divine and sacred and perfect and... she doesn't know what to add more because words are not enough to describe the girl she fell in love with. Simply put it, she deeply loves and adores the younger girl; she's whipped.

"Hey there, Sakura-unnie." Minjoo barged in the private labor room reserved for her important patient.

"You're here." Sakura chuckled.

"I knocked on the door but you didn't answer so I just entered. Sorry."

"No, it's okay. I was just daydreaming about something."

"Daydreaming about Chaeyeon-unnie, I presume?"

"W-wha—"

"Oh. No, unnie. I can't exactly read your mind."

Sakura frowned. "I haven't even finished talking yet."

"In these past months that I have spent knowing you, I think you've become easier to read. Your facial expressions and body language, that is. Pretty much like a book, unlike Chaewon and Chaeyeon-unnie." The young doctor snickered.

"Chaeyeon? You're telling me that I'm more transparent than Chaeyeon? She wears her emotions on her sleeve though." The older girl scoffed in disapproval from Minjoo's statement. 

The doctor giggled. "That's not the case for us, unnie. She's always smiling, yes, but why do you think she's the president of South Korea's biggest corporation whom other companies are scared of? Sakura-unnie, not to burst your bubble but they fear her kind demeanor and smile."

"...that doesn't make sense."

"..."

"..."

"Then try to think of this. Who do you think is the scariest when angry? The person who rarely shows emotions, the person who openly shows emotions or the person who hides her emotions with a smile? As simple as that."

"...okay, now that makes sense. But she really shows a lot of emotion when we all gather together. Does that mean Chaeyeon only shows her real emotions in front of me and her close friends?"

"No, unnie. Back then, she actually barely shows what she truly feels even to us except Chaewon. But, you were able to crack her smiling mask open instantly." Minjoo sighed. "I've known her for more than five years but she only shows me her kind smiles. She doesn't let us know her problems nor anything negative. To be completely honest, it scares me at times thinking that her smiling face is but a Noh mask."

"O-oh..."

"We really have to thank you, Sakura-unnie. She's starting to show more emotion in front of us."

"I see."

"Hey there!" The said devil showed herself while flashing the bags in her hands. "I got you some salad, Sa— Oh, hey there, Minjoo!" 

"...Minjoo, I think I now know where you're coming from." She whispered under her breath before grinning.

Sakura didn't let the slight change of Chaeyeon's emotions go unnoticed when she intruded inside the room then found out that the young doctor was with her. She had noticed how Chaeyeon toned down her excitement and changed into a calmer smile, though the glint in her eyes is completely unchanged.

"I told you so." Minjoo smiled.

"Hey, hey. What's with the secret conversation?"

"It's nothing." The eldest of the three chuckled.

"A girls' secret, unnie."

"But I'm a girl too..."

"Hush now." Sakura chuckled. "How was the preparation for Yujin's birthday?"

"Oh, when I dropped by Hyewon's, it seems like the venue is finally ready."

"Really? I'm really excited! They'll be celebrating two birthdays in one day!" Sakura's orbs shone brightly.

They had told their friends about their plan to let Sakura give birth to their baby on the same day as Yujin's birthday. Everyone excitedly agreed to it so they decided to hold a small party for the babies. Hyewon volunteered to let the party be held in her shop.

"I still can't believe that Hyewon-unnie's cafe became quite famous in the city. And to think that it was just planned out of the blue." Minjoo laughed.

Sakura smirked proudly. "Well... she's the Kang Hyewon I know of, indeed." 

Hyewon had decided to quit her boring part-time job at the convenience store to manage her own cafe on a whim right after her talk with Sakura. Although the others were shocked to know that the part-time-cashier-slash-model had the money to purchase a good location for her cafe in an instant, they just somehow accepted it considering that the cousins, Chaeyeon and Chaewon, including Eunbi, could do things that are far more absurd than that.

"I don't think I can buy a cafe in the middle of this busy city all of a sudden like her. I'm not that rich." The young doctor chuckled then glanced at Chaeyeon. "Frankly speaking, when I heard about it, it made me remember that time."

"That time?" Sakura's raised her eyebrows in curiosity.

"It was about two years ago? Wait, maybe three." Minjoo frowned while looking upwards, recalling everything about the event.

Chaeyeon opened with a long "Ah." then shook her head while smiling.

"We all went for two nights and three days of vacation in Japan. The first night ended up being so chaotic when we were accidentally served with alcoholic drinks. We tried to stop Chaeyeon-unnie from drinking it since we already found out that it was a drink mixed with alcohol but she never listened and drank too much. She was then jokingly dared by Yena-unnie to purchase the hotel they were staying in." Minjoo continued her words.

"Wait..." Sakura could feel where the story was going and she just found it unbelievable... it was quite a familiar story.

"Yep, despite being a joke she had ended up signing a contract just a few minutes after she heard the dare. We were looking for her when she suddenly disappeared like a bubble then she came back with the signed documents in hand. It gave Eunbi-unnie quite the headache." The doctor smiled sheepishly.

"Don't tell me she has low alcohol tolerance?"

"No, it's the other way round but I just drunk too much, okay?" Chaeyeon narrowed her eyes

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter