Chapter 4: Going Out?

Double Trouble

 A/N:

Hello! Welcome back to the madness! I'm glad you're joining us again, and if you're a new reader, I hope you're enjoying it! As always, we're thankful for the comments, and support that you've been giving our story! 

We hope you enjoy the chapter as well as Kyungsoo's merry misadventure at the moment!

Thank you, again!

-Arya and Hannah

***

Kyungsoo was trying his best to stay focused on the research that he was supposed to be doing, with Jongin, but what had occurred Sunday was still stamped at the back of his mind. Usually, decisions like this didn't linger on his mind too long, but a certain amount of unpredictability with the situation was the obstacle there giving him hesitance. 

It was now Wednesday and he still hadn't sent a text message to say no or tell him anything regarding his proposition, but like his thoughts, he couldn't stop looking over Jongin. Like the other times he ended up seeing Jongin, he was dressed differently. 

Today he was swathed in light wash jeans, tennis shoes once again not being stepped on, and a cream-colored turtleneck, gold-framed glasses perched on his nose, hair not slicked back. 

A complete one-eighty, and once again the other was pretty much silent, no witty quips or searing gazes. Partly which Kyungsoo was grateful for because it did funny things to his heart when the other did that, he was young and still had too much to do. He didn't have time to die because of a heart attack. He had received a few messages from him asking about his answer, Kyungsoo avoided the fact that it was from a different number because he wasn’t sure on how identity disorders worked. He was thankful that he hadn’t asked… yet. 

"Is everything alright?" The suddenness of Jongin's voice brought him to the present and makes him realize that he had been staring at the other more than likely the whole time he had been thinking. 

He blinks rapidly, looking away from Jongin. "Yeah, I just..." Should he give him the answer in person? He then brushes away the impulsive thought away, this wasn't the time for that. "It's just been a long couple of weeks, I'm sorry." He laughs a little as he looks back at Jongin. 

The other nods, his eyes diverting back to his computer screen, slightly biting his lip. "I know what you mean." 

The pair soon fall back into another working silence, and as usual, time passes easily and before Kyungsoo knows it it's close to nightfall and his stomach is alerting him to the fact that he needed some more food. The loud sound emanating from his stomach has him, flushing, you couldn't not hear it with how silent the room was. 

"I am so sorry," He tries to feign off his embarrassment with what he tried to pass off as an easy smile. "I guess it has been a while since I've eaten something." He lets out a little sigh. 

"We... we can get something to eat if you like." Jongin suddenly says. "I know a spot close to campus." His gaze is still on the computer screen as he asks.

Kyungsoo stares at him in slight shock. 

It seemed that by the moment his theory was being proved more true. 

If he did have an identity disorder it was possible that sometimes they didn't remember what the other personalities had done, right? 

"I mean, I'm hungry too and it would be a lot more efficient that way," Jongin says, the silence from Kyungsoo having sort of caused him panic, what if he thought him weird now? 

Kyungsoo smiles instead, hoping to ease the others worry. "That sounds great." He shuts his laptop, making sure that all of the work was saved. 

Immediately, the words have Jongin relaxing and they both pack up their stuff, heading out into the fresh night air, a welcome change from the stuffiness of the library. Kyungsoo trusted that Jongin wasn't going to lead him to his death or some other mortal peril. 

"I don't think I've asked, but what's your major, Jongin?" Kyungsoo looks up at him as they walk. 

"Business," He answers, hands in the pockets of his jeans.

Kyungsoo would have to remember that. 

 "I'm guessing you have something to do with food by all of the stuff that I saw you with last time." Jongin slightly laughs. 

Kyungsoo smiles. "You're nice, just say that I looked like the complete wreck that I was." He smooths his own sweatshirt. "But yes, I'm in nutrition and also apart of the culinary program here." 

Jongin's face almost turns awestruck sort of, Kyungsoo found it sort of endearing, it was almost like seeing a kid reacting to the most interesting thing that they had ever seen. 

"You must be talented... I swear, I can manage to burn water." Jongin admits, feeling heat travel to his ears.  

"I wouldn't say talented, but I'm not too shabby." He responds with a smile. "And don't worry, that even happens to the best. I've seen it." 

Just the fact that someone forgot they had their pan on at such a high heat, they ended up ruining the pan. 

Jongin smiles and then attention turns to his surroundings. "We're here." He pulls open the door. 

Kyungsoo pulls out his phone. "You go on ahead, I need to handle something real quick." He waves the device slightly. 

Jongin enters the building with a nod, and Kyungsoo shoots a simple text message.

I'll go, when and where?  

***

"Our Soo, on a date ." Baekhyun, sighs dramatically, chip bag crinkling in his hands. 

"It's just coffee." Kyungsoo rolls his eyes looking at his pair of friends occupying his bed. "Don't you two have something else better to do?" 

Jongdae smiles, making the kittenish curl of his lip all that much more mischievous. " And dinner," Jongdae stresses. "You don't dress like that for just coffee, Soo." 

"He's right," Baekhyun says, putting another handful of chips into his mouth. "Who would've thought this day would come." 

Kyungsoo turns around from the mirror, hands on his hips. "You guys make it sound like I could never get a date." 

Jongdae laughs. "It's just that we never thought you would notice something like that, we've seen you unintentionally curve a bunch of guys without blinking an eye." 

Kyungsoo only shoots him a playful glare. "How do I look?" 

"He'd be crazy not to want to take you out again." Baekhyun gives a thumbs up. 

Jongdae goes over to Kyungsoo’s dresser tossing him the cologne that he had gotten him last year. Kyungsoo splashes some on him and turns to see both Baekhyun and Jongdae smiling at him.

“I’m not trying to get a second date.” He says, gathering his wallet, keys, and cellphone. He slides his thumb over the screen to unlock it and check for new messages. The last message was his own when he texted Jongin his location and before that, it was Jongin’s simple text.

I’ll pick you up at 8. Send me your location.

Kyungsoo wasn’t sure if he was ok to let him drive him there because if things went south he then would be stuck there or would have to get a ride home. He decided not to think much about it, it was seven-fifty, so that meant Jongin would be arriving soon. 

“So, you do admit that this is a date and not just coffee.” Baekhyun shoots back. Kyungsoo made a mental note to never tell his friends when someone asked him out ever again. He tries to grasp the little patience he has left. Just as he was about to say something he receives another text, Jongin informing him he was downstairs.

“Someone is early.” Baekhyun chuckles, peeking from over Kyungsoo’s shoulder.

“Shut up.” Kyungsoo put his phone in his pocket and smiled at both, letting out a breath. “I’ll be back later, if I’m not here by at least eleven send the cops.”

“We’ll send the firefighters instead.” Baekhyun gave a wink and Kyungsoo just rolled his eyes, he walked away not able to stand it anymore.

“Be safe,” Jongdae says, cleaning the imaginary dust off of his friend’s clothes “Don’t talk to strangers” 

They heard Baekhyun laugh behind them.

“You guys are making me cringe,” Kyungsoo says and soon he is out the door. 

He walks downstairs to the building parking lot and he sees Jongin casually leaning against a car, there is a smirk playing on his face as usual and he looks as confident as he was at Starbucks. He couldn’t help but notice the clothes he was wearing, black pants that were perfectly hugging his legs with a white turtleneck, and black shoes, the whole outfit made him look so different, although, his hair was carefully brushed back as always. He looked classy and good , Kyungsoo would admit that much. He waved awkwardly when he was close enough.

“Hey,” He greets and Jongin’s smile grows wider.

“Hi.” Jongin waits until Kyungsoo is standing in front of him to get off the side of his car. “Ready?”

“Yup!” Kyungsoo nods and he watches Jongin as he opens the door for him. 

He had a very reduced experience on dates, but he was very aware that people don’t do these gestures often. He enters and is immediately perplexed by the luxury inside the car, the seats were made of leather, but they were so comfortable, he observes as Jongin gets in on the pilot side and fastens his seatbelt, he eyes Kyungsoo curiously. 

“Is this your car?”

“It is.” Jongin looks amused. He stretches over Kyungsoo, making him almost merge with his seat, Jongin lets out a laugh as he grabs the seat belt and pulls it over Kyungsoo, he heard the click sound as he secured the seatbelt, his heart is racing when he looks at Jongin for answers. The taller just shakes his head, smirk still in place and starts the engine. Kyungsoo tries to ease his heart as they get further away from campus. 

Something tells him that this night will be longer than he initially thought. 

When they finally get to the restaurant Kyungsoo quickly gets out of the car, making sure Jongin doesn’t have any more business with his seatbelt or door anymore. Jongin bites on his bottom lip, mostly because he’s trying to hold back laughter. They walk into the place, Jongin leading the way as they approach one of the waiters, they are taken to a terrace, just a few other couples are sitting around. The waiter provides them with menus and proceeds to give them some space to analyze their orders. Kyungsoo has the menu in his hands but he can’t help but look around.

The majority of the lighting comes from the fairy lights carefully placed above them, there’s soft music playing through the speakers and he is grateful that he can hear himself think. The place looks fancy but not that luxurious, intimate even. Kyungsoo suddenly feels nervous, and even more when his eyes land on Jongin only to see him staring back at him. There is so much intensity coming from him, Kyungsoo doesn’t even know how to refer to this personality.

Let’s name him… Jongin 1.5.

He didn’t know if there were any other identities hiding inside of him so he would have to try to discover them as the night goes on. Jongin 1.5 finally looks away when the waiter comes back and he is starting to feel thirsty all of a sudden. Jongin gives the waiter specific instructions about what he wants and gives him the menu back.

“He will have the same.” He says and Kyungsoo is confused. The waiter leaves and he takes a deep breath.

“Why would you do that? What if I don’t want what you ordered?” He crosses his arms over his chest, feeling himself gaining a little more control over the situation. 

“Trust me, babe, you’ll thank me later.” He responds confidently. Kyungsoo’s brain almost had a shortage.

I’m sorry what? Babe?  

“I think you’ve mistaken the situation just a tiny little bit.” Kyungsoo leans over the table, imitating Jongin 1.5’s usual behavior. His voice low but steady. Jongin leans in as well, a hint of amusement sparkling inside his eyes.

“I’m pretty sure of this situation.” He points in between them. “ Babe ,” He said this almost as if he was challenging Kyungsoo to a game. He may be good at this game, but he had never played with Kyungsoo before. 

“A little confident, aren’t we?” He got the feeling Jongin 1.5 was used to get everything he wanted.

“Just a little.” The other traces his face with his gaze, his eyes stopping briefly over Kyungsoo’s lips before locking stares once more. Kyungsoo narrowed his eyes, it would take much more effort for him to fall for that.

They stay silent for a moment, just staring at each other, Kyungsoo trying to decipher the mystery and Jongin just… looking, maybe waiting. They don’t realize the time that has passed until the waiter puts down their food and drinks in front of them. They break away from their staring contest to finally get to taste their food and coffee. 

1.5 looks down at his plate and then just stares at Kyungsoo as he eats his food, waiting for his reaction. He’s satisfied when he sees the approval in his expression.

“How is it?” The smirk is back on his face as he waits for a response. Kyungsoo takes a deep breath and glares at him for a split second, he swallows before answering of course.

“It’s decent.” He says, not giving him entirely what he wanted. 

The other laughed before digging into his food.  

As the night goes by Kyungsoo finds himself enjoying the push and pull dance he and Jongin have established. The food and coffee are great, not to even mention the dessert, which Jongin also orders for him. The night is soon filled with clever comments and intense flirting (on Jongin’s side only of course), with challenging stares and surprised laughs. Before he knew it, This seemingly other personality had dropped him off at the dorms once again, he even opened the door for him to get out of the car and everything.  

“It was fun.” Jongin 1.5 says, hands inside his pocket. He looks up at the dorm building and Kyungsoo follows his stare to find Baekhyun and Jongdae peeping through a window on the second floor. He lets out a sigh.

“Thanks for everything.” Kyungsoo must admit he had fun . He still had a lot to discover about him, there was much more to it, he was sure.

“Let’s do it again sometime.” Jongin’s voice has gotten lower and Kyungsoo is not sure if he likes it or not.

“Maybe.” He teases, he wasn’t sure if he was up to repeat the experience. “See you later.” 

Kyungsoo waves at him and attempts to leave when a hand suddenly wraps around his wrist, pulling him back softly. He looks at Jongin with curiosity when the guy slowly leans in as if trying to advise him of what he was about to do, and out of nowhere he kisses Kyungsoo’s cheek. It was a soft kiss that lasted more than it should, his lips burning the skin as the seconds went by. 

The heat traveled under Kyungsoo’s skin instantly, he felt somewhat embarrassed to be in this situation with his friends obviously looking, however, he didn’t pull away. He let Jongin pull away first, a wink and then he finally let go of his arm.

“I’ll wait until you’re upstairs,” Jongin said and Kyungsoo nodded robotically. 

He turned around and just walked into the building, he was in front of his dorm when he heard the roar of Jongin’s car as he drove away. 

What had just happened? He was now even afraid to walk into his own dorm.

Before Kyungsoo could open the door, it swung open, Jongdae and Baekhyun were all over him, yelling, laughing and asking question after question. His brain could barely register what had happened.

“Would you guys calm down?” Kyungsoo sat on his bed and the other two followed, both grabbing an arm each.

“Would you tell us how it went already?” Baekhyun shakes him slightly. Kyungsoo doesn’t even know where to start.

“It was… fun?” He wasn’t sure the word fun could fully categorize what he had experienced. “It’s not a big deal, we had dinner and coffee and he brought me back here.”

“But he kissed you!” Jongdae raised a brow.

Kyungsoo made his friends get off of him, he didn’t have much time to properly analyze the whole evening, this for sure was not helping “On the cheek .” He protested.

“A kiss is still a kiss,” Baekhyun commented. He looked too entertained about it all.

Kyungsoo glared at him, pointing his index finger at him as a threat.

Baekhyun was still smiling, but he didn’t say anything else.

“Are you guys going out again at least?” Jongdae asked.

“We’ll see.” With these final words Kyungsoo walked into the bathroom. It had been a long day, and a longer night, he would brush his teeth and go to sleep and he would not think about Jongin, Jongin 1.5, their date or that… kiss.

He would not think about any of that.

He would not…