Chapter 15: Out of the Fire and Into...

Double Trouble

A/N:

Hello! Its maybe two of your favorite authors back with an update actually on a Saturday! Anyways, we hope you're all doing well, and that this time inside is possibly fostering some hobbies, or just some relaxation! We hope you enjoy this chapter and don't forget to comment or subscribe if you like so you don't miss an update!

We enjoy, hearing from you!

Until the next time!

-Arya and Hannah.

...

..

.

Kyungsoo finds himself knocking on the Kim’s residence door the following day, adjusting his bag over his shoulder as he waits for someone to answer it. When he left the event a few days before he couldn’t help to feel a little uneasy, considering the way Kai was avoiding him and how silent Jongin had been towards the end of the night. Something didn’t feel right with both of them and Kyungsoo didn’t like to feel that uncertainty.

Soon Jongin opens the door, that smile he always has curving his lips as he tells Kyungsoo to come in.

“I was just getting some snacks to take upstairs. Mom’s out shopping with Kai so she won’t bother you with cooking tips for now.” Jongin says with a smile. Kyungsoo’s texts the night of the event and that morning telling him he would go over to study turned his mood around to a lighter one.

“I don’t mind, she’s nice.” Kyungsoo takes off his coat, giving it to Jongin who carefully places it inside a closet right next to the door. “Do you need help?”

“Sure,” Jongin’s smile grows wider as they make their way to the kitchen. “You didn’t have any trouble getting here on your own?” This had been the first time Kyungsoo visited them on his own, and despite Jongin insisting on picking him up, Kyungsoo thought Jongin didn’t need to get out of his house to pick him up just to go back.

“Not at all. It was very easy actually,” Kyungsoo helps set the tray with the snacks Jongin had previously pulled out from the pantry, while Jongin gets a few drinks out of the fridge. Once everything has been set up they walk upstairs to Jongin’s room. It was just as organized as the last time Kyungsoo had been in there. There was an open book sitting on Jongin’s desk along with Jongin’s glasses resting on top of the pages.

“Can I?” Kyungsoo asks, waiting for Jongin’s approval to put the glasses on the wooden surface, picking up the book to see the cover.

“I was reading a little before you came,” Jongin explained, setting the snacks on top of his floor desk so they could eat and work comfortably.

“Is this one of the books you read with Dae?” Kyungsoo turns it around, reading the back of the book.

“Oh no, this is a different one,” Jongin says watching Kyungsoo’s expression as he reads the summary of the book. He notices Kyungsoo’s eyebrows arching a bit.

“It looks interesting,” Kyungsoo says, he then flips through the pages, it’s obvious that Jongin has read this book several times by the state of it and even then, it looked like he took good care of it as well. There were several notes made on the side of the pages and there were things Jongin highlighted as well. “I can tell you really like it.”

“It’s my favorite book,” Jongin smiles, watching as the other walks over to him, still book in hand, sitting down across from him.

“Why do you like it so much?” Kyungsoo questions, he notices a bear sticker on the front page, which brings a smile to his face.

“Well…” Jongin tilts his head slightly. “It’s hard to explain. The main character is a little boy that loses pretty much everything in his life and has to start living with his weird uncle, but as he grows up, he realizes his uncle is not as weird as he thought he was.” He shrugs. “He learns a lot about life, hope, and love. I guess it feels like I’m learning life lessons along with him.”

“Sounds like the best kind of book,” Kyungsoo notices a spark in Jongin’s eyes as he talks about it. There’s some passion there.

“I can let you borrow it if you want,” Jongin then pulls out a notebook setting it on the table.

“Really?” Kyungsoo smiles. “But you were reading it.”

“I wasn’t reading it completely. Sometimes when I feel like I need advice about something I read a few pages. You can borrow it; I trust you’ll give it back.”

“Oh… thanks then. I’ll make sure to read it well.” Kyungsoo closes the book, putting it inside his bag and then takes out his schoolwork to start studying.

“Uhh, Soo…?”

“Yes?”

“Do you mind…?” Jongin takes a deep breath. He’s suddenly nervous because of what he’s about to ask. “Can I…? I have an art project for one of my elective classes. I was wondering if I could, like, draw you.” There’s a soft blush covering his cheeks.

“Oh,” Kyungsoo’s eyes widen slightly, of all things he expected that wasn’t one of them. He doesn’t know what to say for a moment.

“You don’t have to if you don’t want to do it…” Jongin feels himself starting to panic. He didn’t know if Kyungsoo would be comfortable with that or not.

“It’s not that. It’s just I’ve never been drawn before and I didn’t expect that” He smiles. “I don’t mind. Are you going to do it right now?”

Jongin nods suddenly feeling enthusiastic. “You can keep studying and I’ll work on it.” He opens his notebook that turned out to be a sketchbook he had for his class. Jongin flips through the pages until he lands on a sketch that he’s particularly proud of, showing it to Kyungsoo. “This was my first assignment. Our instructor went through different concepts over the semester.”

“Oh, you’re really good!” Kyungsoo leans in a little to see the sketch better, it was very well done. “What’s the concept for this project?”

“Uh,” Jongin clears his throat, his eyes wandering around the room as his brain tries to come up with something.

“You don’t have to tell me though. I was just curious.” Kyungsoo says, noticing Jongin’s struggle. He smiles when the other sighs in relief. They then fall into a nice working silence as they both do what they have to. Jongin’s eyes go back and forth from Kyungsoo’s features to the blank page in front of him, doing what he can to make it as similar as possible. Drawing lines just to erase them.

A while later they hear a knock on the door, soon followed by Kai entering the room with a few bags in his hands. He suddenly stiffens when he sees Kyungsoo, but he quickly recovers, glancing at his brother. 

“Mom is looking for you,” He says standing by the door, waving politely at Kyungsoo who returns the gesture.

“Okay,” Jongin smiles at Soo. “I’ll be right back.” When Kyungsoo nods, Jongin stands up walking past his brother not without glancing back a few times. Kai sighs.

“See you later,” He turns around ready to escape when he hears Kyungsoo’s voice calling him. Kai bites his bottom lip unsure if he should just keep walking and pretend he didn’t hear him, but at that distance, it would be obvious that he’s ignoring him, so instead, he turns back around, putting on his best serene expression. “Yeah?”

“I wanted to talk to you,” Kyungsoo doesn’t know how to put this out there, being this the first time he has this type of conversations with anyone. “About the other night.”

There’s evident displeasure in Kai’s features. “We don’t have to.”

“We do,” Kyungsoo replies firmly, taking a deep breath. “You’ve been avoiding me; I know and that was never my intention when I left the other day. I didn’t want you to be uncomfortable around me or anything.” He shrugs. “If you want, we can just pretend that never happened, we never went out together that Saturday.”

Kai frowns, he doesn’t know what’s worse. The fact that Kyungsoo left in the middle of their date or that he feels like he must give Kai any form of consolation about it. “Are you serious?”

“I am,” Kyungsoo smiles. “It wasn’t a bad thing but if it makes you uncomfortable, we can just reset.”

“So, we just forget we went on that date?” Kai feels somewhat skeptical about it, but Kyungsoo is still smiling at him.

“What date?” Kyungsoo says, making Kai chuckle in response.

“Okay, I get it.” Kai nods, noticing how a big weight has been lifted off his shoulders.

“Jongin and I are studying together… want to join?” Kyungsoo walks back to the floor desk, an expectant gaze on his face.

“Sure, let me get my stuff and I’ll be back.” Kai smiles, and for some reason, Kyungsoo felt it different from every smile Kai has given him before.

Kyungsoo returns to looking at his books, locating his glasses from his backpack as he waits for the brothers to return. It's a few more minutes before he hears the floorboards creak, and Jongin reappears taking his spot across from him. 

“Sorry about that, Mom needed help getting something down.” Jongin adjusts himself on the floor, placing one of his chair pillows in his lap. 

“Not a problem at all…” Kyungsoo smiles, pulling a highlighter out of his bag. 

A few minutes after that he hears footsteps again, Kai arriving with his books and things, taking a seat on the left side of Kyungsoo, Jongin giving his twin a questioning gaze.

“Kyungsoo invited me to study with you guys,” Kai explains. 

“That’s not a problem, is it? I just thought since we were already doing that…” Kyungsoo trails off a little, looking at Jongin. 

“No, of course not…” Jongin answers. 

“Thank you, baby brother.” Kai smiles a little. 

Jongin huffs and narrows his eyes. “Please, you were born first by only three minutes.” 

“Three minutes is three minutes.” Kai laughs a little, pulling out the rest of his supplies.

Jongin just sighs, returning to look at his laptop, and Kyungsoo smiles a little at the interaction before they all settle down into the throws of their books. Occasionally making conversation, about a topic or something that they were looking over or asking someone to pass over one of the snacks. 

“How’s it going up here?” A knock at the door frame announces the arrival of Mrs. Kim. 

“It's going well, mom.” Jongin smiles, stretching a little in his sitting position, back popping with the action.

“Good, good… I was wondering when you’d be ready to take a break. It's almost time for dinner.” 

Kyungsoo realizes he can suddenly feel how bleary his eyes were from reading for such a length of time, and how stiff he had gotten sitting. 

“Has it been that long?” Kai rubs the back of his neck.

“Yes, you’ve all been working hard.” Mrs. Kim smiles. 

“Do you need any help with dinner, Mrs. Kim?” Kyungsoo asks, turning around to fully face her. 

The older woman gives him a smile. “That would be nice… but only if you want to, dear.” She gives him an easy smile. 

“Not a problem at all…” Kyungsoo stands. “Besides like you’ve said we’ve been sitting here for a long time; I don’t think I can look at anymore for the time being.” 

She smiles again. “Then come on, I’m not fixing anything too extravagant, but I do need help with some of the sides.” 

Kyungsoo nods. “I’ll be right down.” 

Mrs. Kim leaves the doorway, picking up the stray snack bags and empty plates as she heads back down the stairs. 

“Dinner does sound good right now…” Kai stands up from his position, books shut on the table, Jongin following right behind. 

Kyungsoo nods in agreement, heading down the stairs, and then to the restroom to wash his hands before joining Mrs. Kim in the kitchen. When he comes back out, the twins are taking a seat at the island, ready to watch the pair cook. 

“Could you put the water on for me, Kyungsoo?” Mrs. Kim asks, the light blue apron giving her a more casual look than he was used to seeing on the Kim family matriarch, although somehow, she was able to make that fashionable too.

Kyungsoo nods going to do as he’s asked, the kitchen is filled with the sounds of cooking and light conversation between the four of them as the cooking went on. 

“Nini, can you grab the kimchi from the fridge?” Mrs. Kim looks up from one of the side dishes. 

Kyungsoo stops chopping up an onion. “Nini?” He smiles at the name. 

“Mom!” Jongin is a little mortified, a slight blush covering his face. 

Mrs. Kim smiles and looks at Kyungsoo. “Isn’t it cute? Nini got the nickname because Kai couldn’t pronounce ‘Jonginnie’ when they were little.” 

“Mom!” Both of the twins groan at the same time.

The tip of Kai’s ears turning a slight red as he pouts, Jongin stands from his chair going to get the thing that his mother asked him to get. 

Kyungsoo was trying his best to hide a smile, but it was to no avail. “That’s cute…” 

Mrs. Kim smiles again, adding her ingredients into the pot. “I know, it just seems like yesterday that they were that small.” 

Kyungsoo resumes his chopping. “My mom would say the same thing… she’s always fussing over how much me and my brother have grown.” 

Kai is distracted from his momentary embarrassment. “You have a brother?”

Kyungsoo nods. “Hmhm, he’s older.”

Kai leans forward then. “Do you have a nickname for him then?” 

Kyungsoo’s eyes flicker up towards him, and he smiles a little bit. “Wouldn’t you like to know.” He laughs a little. 

Kai sits back. “No fair…” He crosses his arms. 

“Totally fair, I didn’t ask about it.” Kyungsoo gives him an easy smile. 

Kai sighs. “Touché.” 

“Ask what?” Jongin reappears, handing his mom the item, earning him a soft thank you from his mother. 

“If Kyungsoo had a nickname for his older brother,” Kai replies.  

Jongin’s eyes widen with the new information. “Well… do you?” 

Kyungsoo smiles again. “Sorry, Jongin… no can do.”

Mrs. Kim lets out a little laugh. “Alright you two, let us cook… or you’ll be trying to fix dinner next.” 

The twins soon make themselves scarce upon the mere thought of having to be in the kitchen, they know how disastrous they were in the kitchen. There is no reason for Kyungsoo to have to witness that in person. The twins do keep away from the cooking station until there is a pleasant smell wafting through the whole house. 

Both of them hover at the edge of where the cooking is happening until Kai is brave enough to hover closer, reaching out as he usually does when his mother cooks, tasting out of the pot. 

However, that action is halted in its steps as he locks eyes with Kyungsoo, looking at him with a gaze that makes his skin crawl, it isn’t mean or threatening, or angry. 

But it's calm and reprimanding, and almost parental in nature. 

I dare you to stick your finger in that pot . It said. 

Jongin finds himself slightly flinching and it isn’t even directed at him. He felt like he had done something wrong and was being scolded.

Kai gets the message, and his usually more dominating personality backs off, backing away from the counter to stand with his brother looking much like a puppy who had just gotten scolded. 

From her own spot in the kitchen, Mrs. Kim smiles to herself as she watches the interaction, Kyungsoo’s eyes following Kai until he takes his seat. The pair finish up dinner, and soon it's served, the table still silent as they all begin to dig into the dish. 

“So, Kyungsoo… how’s everything been going. I know it can get a little stressful this time of year.” 

Kyungsoo wipes his mouth a little bit with a napkin, a small smile curving his lips. “It’s going well…” 

From then on, the twins relax, seeing the smile releasing some of the tension around them, imagined or not. The rest of the dinner goes smoothly, light conversation across the table until it's time for them to pack up and Kyungsoo to go home. 

“Thank you for letting me stay for dinner.” Kyungsoo bows. 

Mrs. Kim waves a hand. “Not at all, dear… you’re welcome here anytime. Maybe those sons of mine will learn a thing or two from you in the kitchen.” 

The pair of brothers can’t deny that although they pout. 

“I’m sure it's not that bad.”  Kyungsoo says. 

Before their mother could even get a word out to state otherwise, one childhood story was enough embarrassment for one night.

“We should get going, it’s getting late…” Kai steps forward, keys already in hand. “We can discuss this another time mom.” 

Mrs. Kim sighs a little, but then hugs Kyungsoo telling him not to make himself a stranger, hoping to see him again soon. As Kyungsoo kicks on his shoes, he turns around to bid a goodbye to Jongin.

“I’ll see you around school, and good luck on your art project.” He smiles. 

Jongin nods, a smile gracing his face as well. “Thank you… and have a goodnight.” 

Kai and Kyungsoo head out then, entering the sleek car, the ride mostly silent with the exception of music playing in the background. Despite the last time he was in this car, Kyungsoo doesn’t find it at all uncomfortable, and by the time they pull up to the dorm in what doesn’t seem like anytime at all. 

“Sorry…” 

Kyungsoo looks up from releasing the seatbelt, gaze curious. “For what?” 

“If I made you upset… about dinner.” Kai shifts around in his car seat, looking out at the windshield, clearing his throat.

Kyungsoo blinks, and then he smiles. “Upset? No, sorry… I just have a thing about people sticking their fingers in food. I mean think about it, would you want someone in a restaurant to stick their bare finger into the food you’re supposed to eat?” 

“But your… eyes…” Kai frowns, his lower lip sticking out slightly.

“Oh, that…” Kyungsoo scratches the back of his head. “My brother says I got my mom’s scolding look, it doesn’t necessarily mean I’m mad.”

“Oh,” Kai lets out a sigh, finally returning the smile. “Okay then.”

Kyungsoo chuckles, he pats Kai’s shoulder slightly before opening the door. “So… I’ll see you around school too?”

“Yeah, I’ll see you around.” 

As Kai watches him leave, the memory of their date is already replaced with the lingering warmth against his shoulder.