Chapter 14: Fire.

Double Trouble

A/N: 

Hello, hello! I know surprise, its a Tuesday update! I hope everyone is doing well! and that you're staying healthy and hopefully aren't too bored! Also Junmyeon dropped the album, Hannah can attest that its one of the best things she's heard as I'm sure she's been listening to it all day today, one of her favorite songs is Starry Night and I concur with that decision!

Tell us what was your favorite song or songs from the album?

Also from the comments last chapter a lot of you aren't pleased with Kai at the moment, hopefully the man gets it together. Anyways, enough of my rambling! We hope you enjoy this chapter, and we will see you all in the next one!

-Arya and Hannah.

...

..

.

“He what ?” Minseok asks, looking up from his phone when he heard Kai’s last words. His eyes widening as he lets the words sink in.

“He left,” Kai sighs. He’s lying on the couch, opposite to the one Minseok is sitting in. “He paid, said that he thought I seemed to be fun to be around, stood up and left.” 

Kai was still having a hard time processing this information. Nobody in his entire dating life had left mid date. Nobody had ever said the things Kyungsoo said to him, paid for their meal and then disappeared.

Nobody.

Ever.

Minseok bursts out laughing, putting his phone down to face Kai properly. “He paid and then left? Oh Kai…”

“Hyung!” Kai protests. “It’s not funny.”

“It’s really funny,” Minseok says, sitting back.

“What’s funny?” Junmyeon walks into the living room, bringing snacks with him and a Sehun following close behind. 

Minseok turns to look at him with a smile. “Kai had a date with Kyungsoo last Saturday and Kyungsoo left in the middle of their date.”

“Hyung left?!” Sehun’s eyes widen as he hears this information. “Why am I finding this out now?”

“Because I needed time to process and I knew what you were going to say,” Kai rolls his eyes, mumbling slightly.

“I told you Soo-hyung can handle you perfectly,” Sehun sits down next to Minseok. “I called it.”

“Shut up,” Kai’s humor was getting darker and darker.

“Did he give you any reasons as to why he left?” Junmyeon tried his best to keep a straight face, but it was obvious the whole thing was amusing to him as well.

“Apparently he didn’t like the way I handle my dates,” Kai shakes his head. “He said that I wasn’t being responsive to his questions and that there was no interest in getting to know each other any further, so he left.”

Junmyeon bites on his bottom lip to keep himself from laughing.

“He wants you to be genuine Kai, that’s kind of obvious,” Sehun says, taking some snacks and popping them into his mouth.

“Have I lost my touch hyung?” Kai asks Minseok, completely ignoring Sehun.

“I don’t think that you’ve lost your touch. It’s just that you’ve been so on the defensive for so long, that you don’t know how to have a normal date without expecting that someone wants something from you.” Minseok shrugs. “Sehun is right, you have to start opening up.”

“You never had a touch,” Sehun says with a smile, receiving a glare from Minseok. “Sorry, Hyung.” He then mumbles.

“I don’t think I can even face him anymore…” He sits up on the couch. “He left , hyung.”

“I know,” Minseok smiles, eating with Sehun and Junmyeon. “You’ll figure it out.”

“That’s so funny,” Sehun says. “Wait until I tell Chanyeol. He’s next though, mark my words.”

“Chanyeol?” Minseok raises an eyebrow.

“Yeah. He thinks Baekhyun is going to be easy,” Sehun scoffs, pointing at Kai. “He’s the same as this fool.”

“Oh well, I don’t know this Baekhyun guy, but if he's anything like Kyungsoo then he’s in trouble.” Minseok shakes his head.

“They’re best friends hyung,” Sehun stands up, gaining his friend’s attention. “Chanyeol’s going to hit rock bottom too. I can bet on it.”

Junmyeon smiles, pulling Sehun back down. “Let’s hope he can learn from Kai’s mistakes then.”

“I highly doubt it,” is Minseok’s only response. 

“You guys are seriously not helping at all,” Kai sighs, his bottom lip sticking out a bit. For the first time in his life he didn’t know how to proceed. Was he supposed to pretend nothing happened? Was he supposed to ignore Kyungsoo from now on? He didn’t have a proper answer for any of his questions.

“Because it’s entertaining,” Sehun says, chuckling. Suddenly Junmyeon’s phone starts ringing and he pulls it out of his back pocket, looking at the screen for a second.

“It’s Chanyeol,” He says, answering the video call. “Hi!” He waves at the screen, receiving the same gesture from Chanyeol.

“Hey hyung,” Chanyeol greets. 

Sehun quickly jumps in to fill him in on Kai’s disaster date, almost completely crashing into Junmyeon as he invades the screen, recounting every detail to his other friend and within moments all Kai can hear from his couch is Chanyeol’s loud laugh. 

“Wait! Where is he? Is he there?” Chanyeol asks, between moments of laughter, taking an actual breath. 

“He’s here,” Junmyeon says, flipping the camera so Chanyeol can see Kai.

The laughter on the other end only increases, and Kai sends a glare to the man on the other side of the phone screen. 

“Shut up, Park!” His look is meant to be withering, but it only came off as ever more pouty rather than actually angry. 

Chanyeol’s laughter finally ceases, gasping breaths on the other side of the screen, as he finally fully calms down, the hints of a smile still turning up the sides of his face. “Oh come on, Kai… you had to know that this was going to come one day. The great Kim Kai left at the dinner table, on a date you planned no less.” 

Kai only crosses his arms, and pouts further. “See how you like it when it happens to you. I hope Baekhyun eats you alive.” He turns his face away from the screen then, sinking further down into the chair. 

Minseok chuckles from his seat, still nursing his drink in one hand. “What’s going on, Yeol? You look like you’re traveling?” 

“Yeah! I was out making plans for my return party.” He replies cheerfully, the change in conversation immediately taking on. “That’s why I needed to talk to Jun-hyung.” 

Junmyeon takes his phone from Sehun then, throwing his arm back around the side of the couch that Sehun was occupying beside him. The Younger wasting no time in settling in as close as he could there. 

Kai slightly rolls his eyes at the sight, could his best friend be more obvious yet the least obvious at the same time. He shares a look with Minseok, who only shakes his head and takes another sip of his drink, covering a slight smile. 

Although he does wish Sehun would be a little more forward with his feelings as he was with everything else in his life. 

“What do you need?” Junmyeon asks. 

“I need that one vendor you had, that did the really cool ice sculptures… are you still in contact with them?” 

Minseok raises an eyebrow. “They’re allowing you to go all out?” He sets the now empty glass on the table in front of them.  

Chanyeol’s slight smirk only gets bigger. “Yes! I did really well in America… so they aren’t opposed to letting me throw this party my way.” 

Kai’s head finally turns back towards Junmyeon and his phone, he could already feel himself tired from all the socializing and entertaining he was going to have to do. “Chanyeol… don’t invite a lot of your flings.” 

There’s a snort from the other end of the line. “Of course not… I’m trying to have fun on my birthday, and mom and dad are going to be there.” 

“Which means that you will probably have a lot of other important people there, as a condition.” Minseok sighs.

Junmyeon laughs. “Nothing we’re not used to handling… now I’ll go and get you that number, Chan.” He pushes himself from the couch heading back further into the apartment. 

Sehun pouts a little at the empty space. 

Kai looks at his best friend. “Could you be any more like a puppy?” 

A pillow is thrown across the room. 

And Minseok sighs. 

***

Kyungsoo initially hadn’t known what to think when he'd gotten the invite to Chanyeol’s birthday party. Which allowed him to bring guests along as well, but he should’ve known from the moment that Baekhyun had heard of this that they would be going. In fact he had already begun planning outfits and going through he and Jongdae's closets for things that would be acceptable to wear to the not quite black tie event. 

But standing outside of the large event once their taxi had dropped them off was beginning to bring a feeling that he usually didn’t have. He could see the many people arriving in their various expensive and often flashy cards. 

He doubted that many if any of them had arrived in a taxi, short of a chauffeur. 

“I’m glad Baek was so adamant on taking us shopping.” Jongdae lets out a little breath. 

“You can say that again…” Kyungsoo agrees.

They weren’t wearing designer brands but they weren’t just cheap old threads either. 

Baekhyun appears before them wrapping an arm around each shoulder, with a huge smile. “Well, what are we waiting for? The night isn’t getting any younger.” 

Baekhyun propels them forward to the gate where a man waits with a clipboard. 

“Name?” The man gruffly asks. 

“Do Kyungsoo, plus two…” Kyungsoo clears his throat a bit. 

The man flips through the papers, and then nods at his associate at the entry. “Enjoy your evening, Mr. Do.” 

“Thank you.” He smiles a little as they pass through, truly seeing the sheer number of people, even Baekhyun seemed a little gobsmacked.

“There’s no way he knows them all.” Baekhyun states. 

Jongdae huffs a little, looking at him. “Of course not…” He looks out over the crowd. “It must be tiring.”

They move from the front entrance to further in where they are immediately served drinks, watching other people stand around and converse. Some of which they all might’ve seen one time or another in a magazine or some billboard in the city.

“How is it possible to still feel underdressed?” Jongdae slightly mumbles into his glass. 

“Probably all of the designer labels we know are in the room.” Kyungsoo says.

“So where do you think the others are?” Baekhyun questions, looking around. 

“I don’t know… but I’ve just sent a message to Jongin.” Kyungsoo says pocketing his phone. 

The three mull around a little bit, just hearing the animated chats being held around them, when Jongin finally appears with a smile on his face. He’s wearing a light blue, silk looking shirt tucked into black pants. Jongin’s hair pushed back from his forehead, and the shoes some type of light tan leather.

“Jongin!” Baekhyun waves at him the moment he sees him. 

Jongin approaches them with a smile. “Hey guys,” He greets. “Have you been here waiting for long?”

Kyungsoo shakes his head. “Not all all, we just got here a few minutes ago.”

“Look at you! You’re looking cute.” Baekhyun says, smiling at Jongin’s soft blush. “Right Soo?”

“Yeah,” Kyungsoo nods, smiling at him as well.

“Thanks,” Jongin looks away, trying to hide his intensifying blush. “You guys look really good as well.”

“Oh, we just threw this on,” Baekhyun responds.

 Jongdae and Kyungsoo just look at him, and then at each other, saying this as if the day before hadn’t been spent finding the perfect combination of clothing accessories and shoes.

“Follow me then. Luckily Chanyeol got us a spot away from all the businesspeople.” Jongin smiles as he leads the way. “Everyone is here today.”

They follow Jongin towards the table, making their way through the different groups of people. As they get closer, Jongdae feels a slight shiver run down his spine when he spots a familiar face among the people sitting there. He grabs Kyungsoo’s arm, making them both stop as his brain tries to process.

“Oh my God! He’s here!” 

Kyungsoo looks at him concerned, and then turns his attention to the table. 

“Who?” Baekhyun asks, looking as confused as Kyungsoo. 

“The dude from the law firm, the really hot lawyer.” Jongdae hisses, clutching on to Kyungsoo’s arm tighter.

“What?” Baekhyun begins searching the table, obviously peering over. “Which one?” 

Jongdae points a finger over to the man sitting on one side of Kai, Kyungsoo lets out a slight laugh, what a small world indeed. 

“Minseok?” Kyungsoo says. 

Both of his friends turn their attention to him then. 

“You’ve met before?” Baekhyun asks. 

“Yeah, at that event I worked. Jongin and Kai introduced me to the rest of their friends. He was one of them.” He smiles at Jongdae. “If it means anything, he was really nice when I talked to him.” 

“I can’t go over there…” Jongdae whines. “Is it too late to leave?” 

“Definitely too late… they’re all looking over here now.” Baekhyun comments. 

Jongin had made it over to the reserved table and was also looking back at the trio curiously, waving them over with a hand.

“Just act normal, you’ll be fine.” Kyungsoo smiles, patting Jongdae’s back slightly.

“Do you really think so?” Jongdae wanted to turn away just as much as he wanted to walk over.

“I’m sure.” Kyungsoo replies, pulling him towards the others with a smile still on his face as he greets the group. His eyes linger on Kai for a moment but the other was looking somewhere else. They sit down after the proper introductions have been made and it doesn’t go unnoticed the way Jongdae and Minseok keep stealing glances at each other.

“Nice to see you… again?” Jongdae finally says, smiling politely at Minseok.

“Nice to see you too,” Minseok says, his cat-like eyes not leaving Jongdae’s. “It’s kind of surprising to see you here.”

“You guys know each other?” Jongin asks confusedly as he looks between the two.

“Not really,” Jongdae responds. He turns to Jongin with a smile, which is better than holding Minseok’s stare at the moment. “We saw each other briefly during the tour my class did at a law firm last Monday.”

Jongin's eyes widen as he looks at his friend. “Your dad’s law firm?” He asks, getting only a nod from Minseok.

“I’m excited to see the results,” Minseok then takes a sip of his drink and Baekhyun and Kyungsoo do the same.

“We’re still working on the blueprint, but I hope to have something done over the next few days.”

“Well, I wish you good luck then.” Minseok smiles, and the rest of the group can only exchange a look.

“Dae has rough competition,” Kyungsoo elbows Jongdae with an amused smile, his friend can only roll his eyes.

“Let’s not talk about my competition , please.” Is all Jongdae can say before bringing his own glass to his lips.

Baekhyun wraps an arm around his friend’s shoulders. “We have faith in your superior skills. You’ll do just fine.”

Sehun wraps an arm around Minseok as well. “And now you have someone on the inside, we can pull some strings.”

Jongdae shakes his head. “Thanks, Sehunnie, but I’m fine. If I can’t get this through my talent, then I don’t want it.”

“He’s a person of honor Sehun, unlike you.” Jongin’s comment earns a glare from his friend and a finger pointing at him.

“I have a lot of honor Kim Jongin!” Sehun says, pretending to feel offended. Although Jongin knew the truth. 

The group falls into an animated chat for a while, talking about anything and everything until Junmyeon receives a text message. He stands up from the table looking over the crowd for a moment. 

“What’s up Hyung?” Kai is the one to ask. 

Junmyeon glances at him as he fixes his clothes. “Well, I invited someone too...” if they had to guess from his blank expression, they would think it wasn’t someone important but red ears were giving him away. Jongin looks at Sehun briefly trying to gauge his expression. 

Like Junmyeon, he wore little on his face to indicate that he was bothered in anyway. 

“Oh?” Kai raises his eyebrows. 

Junmyeon nods, typing a quick message on his phone before putting it back in his jacket pocket. “I’ll be right back.” He announces leaving the table and disappearing into the crowd.

The group waits curiously to see who Junmyeon would bring back with him. 

“ Yixing ?” Baekhyun states, cutting the conversation short. 

Jongdae kind of looks away, down at his drink, and Kyungsoo offers a smile of some sort. 

Junmyeon’s slight smile turns into one of confusion as they approach, from Junmyeon’s side Yixing gives a small smile, dimples showing. 

“Kyungsoo, Baekhyun, Jongdae…” Yixing greets. 

Junmyeon looks at them. “You all know each other?” 

Baekhyun throws one arm around the back of Jongdae’s chair. “Yeah, he and Jongdae were close for a while.”

Jongdae could only give them a tense smile and received an equally tensed one from Yixing. The table grew silent for a moment.    

“Oh, that’s cool then.” Junmyeon smiles at Yixing, pulling him to sit next to him, as close as they could.

“How did you guys meet?” Kai asks, he’s trying to keep some type of conversation and to be honest he was very curious about his hyung being in a possible relationship. The pair exchange a look and smile.

Junmyeon leans slightly towards Yixing, maybe not even aware of it. “A classmate asked me to go on a blind date instead of him as a favor.” Junmyeon shrugs. “My plan was to go and explain everything to this person and move on but… turns out we got along pretty well.”

“We talked until the café was closed.” Yixing smiles at the memory. 

Around the table eyes worriedly shift, glancing at Jongdae and Sehun.

“It’s a small world,” Jongin says, trying to break the sudden awkwardness between his friends.

“Very small indeed.” Minseok agrees, his gaze returning to Jongdae.

The table falls back into a normal conversing rhythm after that most of the tension dispelled from the table, save a suddenly pouty Sehun and a quieter Kai seemingly in their own little worlds at the table. 

“Just talk to him… he’s been looking at you since we got here.” Baekhyun hisses at Jongdae. 

“I know… but I don’t even know what to say.” He whispers back. 

“Hi or hello would be a nice start.” Kyungsoo remarks, taking another sip of his drink. 

Jongdae just glares at his two best friends, but perhaps they were right, another hi or hello wouldn’t hurt. Besides he promised that he would try, no more moping around for him. 

Jongdae sighs. “Switch places with me Baek.” 

They sit for a little while longer, occasionally other people from other tables coming over and talking to Jongin and the others. The lull in activity is soon broken by another voice joining them, smiles all around as they recognized the newcomer. 

“Well isn’t it the birthday boy.” Kai says, smiling. “Took you long enough.” 

“I would’ve been here sooner, but you know my parents. I had to stop and entertain.” Chanyeol remarks, taking his seat beside Baekhyun. 

It was at this moment that Chanyeol noticed all the people sitting around him. He’s pleased when he sees Baekhyun sitting next to him, a smile instantly decorating his face as he leans on the table towards him. 

“Well, well, well, what do we have here?” Chanyeol’s eyes scan Baekhyun up and down. “Don’t you look cute.”

“I always look cute,” Baekhyun huffs, crossing his arms and sitting back on his chair. “For a moment I forgot this was your party.”

“I’m sorry if you missed me, I’ll give you all my attention now.” Chanyeol smirks while Jongdae and Kyungsoo just shake their heads, watching them as they sip on their drinks.

“Please don’t.” Baekhyun replies, making his friends laugh.

Chanyeol stares at Baekhyun silently for a moment, grabbing a glass from a passing waiter and drinking from it. “It’s so cute when you play hard to get.”

“Oh, I’m not playing honey.” Baekhyun winks at him, before turning his attention back to Kyungsoo and their conversation.

Chanyeol chuckles. “I hope you guys are hungry, we’re about to move to the food stations soon.” This catches the table’s attention.

“You got in contact then.” Junmyeon says. 

Junmyeon’s latest dinner presentation was such a hit that even Chanyeol heard about it from his parents, so when he asked for the ice sculptures vendor contact, he also asked about seeing if he could get something similar done there. 

Chanyeol nods. “I did,” He looks around the place. “My parents should be announcing it shortly.”

And effectively his parents started instructing everyone towards the food stations for the culinary presentation to begin. Chanyeol led them towards two stations. Jongin took a seat next to Kyungsoo, Baekhyun and Jongdae and Minseok didn’t hesitate to do the same. Meanwhile the rest of them sit at the next station.

Kai is making sure he’s as far away from Kyungsoo as he could.

Once they settle down, Baekhyun is the first to notice a known face among the chefs for the night.

“Oh! Youngmin-ah!” Baekhyun exclaims with a smile. The guy in question turns around looking up from his working table. He seems surprised for a moment and then a smile decorates his face as he walks closer to them, Kyungsoo and Jongdae also return the gesture.

“Soo-Hyung, Baekhyun-Hyung, Jongdae-Hyung!” He bows politely as well to greet Minseok and Jongin. “What are you guys doing here?”

“We were invited by our friends,” Kyungsoo responds, pointing at Jongin who gives Youngmin a polite smile. “I didn’t know you guys were going to present here tonight.”

“It was sort of last minute,” Youngmin is smiling brightly. “I’m so glad you’re here Hyung! Please be brutally honest about our food.”

“Of course I will.” Kyungsoo returns the smile, waving kindly at Youngmin’s station partner. “Do your best.”

“We will Hyung.” There’s obvious enthusiasm coming from Youngmin now as he gets ready to start cooking. Their instructor starts the usual speech before they begin cooking. “Watch us closely.”

Baekhyun elbows Kyungsoo gently, who looks back at his friend with a questioning look. 

“What?” Kyungsoo asks.

“Just making sure you let Youngmin focus on his cooking.” Baekhyun gives Kyungsoo a look that he doesn’t understand. Kyungsoo just nods, still feeling slightly confused. 

Next to him Jongin seems a little less enthusiastic than before, bottom lip shyly sticking out as he watches the presentation.  

The presentation moves along smoothly, the appetizer is soon served to them and Youngmin and his partner move to the main dish right away. He glances at Kyungsoo from time to time, his lips curving into a half smile. Jongin lets out a few sighs as well and Baekhyun just looks between the three amused. Meanwhile Jongdae and Minseok seem to be having a very entertaining conversation in their own little world. 

The main dish is soon served as well and they eat in relative silence, watching them work on the dessert. Kyungsoo takes mental notes of what he thinks of the food so far and what recommendations he can give them to improve. After they eat dessert, the instructor gives another speech and the guests are guided to a different place. 

“I’ll be there in a moment,” Kyungsoo says, patting Baekhyun’s arm. He then walks around the station to talk to Youngmin and his partner. Baekhyun watches for a moment as they talk, and he notices he’s not the only one. He chuckles, linking his arm with Jongin’s.

“Don’t worry Jonginnie,” Baekhyun says, pulling him towards their next destination. “Let’s get a drink together.” 

Jongin blinks for a second, blushing slightly but he nods. “Okay.” 

They catch up with the rest of the group. Minseok and Jongdae are still talking, when Baekhyun tries to join in all he can hear is nonsense about regulatory laws, codes and architecture, so he does a one eighty and decides to wait for Jongin who went to get the drinks for them. He finally sees Kyungsoo walking towards him. Baekhyun smirks, shaking his head. 

“What?” Kyungsoo asks as he gets closer. 

“Nothing, I’m just watching as the plot thickens.” Baekhyun shrugs, eyes traveling elsewhere in the space.  

“What plot?” Kyungsoo frowns. 

Baekhyun has made no sense to him all night. 

“Yours of course, you are like a magnet for the most part.” Baekhyun replies. “Youngmin was very happy to see you.” He wiggles his eyebrows suggestively. “And not to mention how you have a twin sort of pouting and moping. Although the other twin seems to be running away from you today.”

“You noticed too?” Kyungsoo sighs, his eyes searching for Kai but he was nowhere to be found. “I thought it was just me.” 

“Nope!” Baekhyun shakes his head. “What happened between you guys? It was obviously more than you told us.” 

“It’s… complicated.” Kyungsoo shrugs and Baekhyun gives his friend a half-hearted glare. 

They talk some more until Jongin comes back with the drinks. He notices Kyungsoo and glances at the two drinks in his hands for a moment. He gives one to Baekhyun and hands Kyungsoo the other one.

“Oh, Jongin that’s okay. I can get one, you can have this.” Kyungsoo tries to give it back to him but Jongin shakes his head and leaves to get another one for himself.

“See? He’s a keeper.” Baekhyun then takes a sip of his drink. 

“Are you okay today Baekhyun?” Kyungsoo chuckles. 

“Trust me I am… you’re the one we should be worried about.” 

Chanyeol’s parents get everyone’s attention as they bring out a huge birthday cake and sing happy birthday for their son, who clearly enjoys the attention as he walks over to his cake with a huge smile on his face. He closes his eyes, probably wishing for something and then blows the candles. Between cheers and birthday cake the rest of the night flies by, Sehun being the first to announce he’s leaving, and Kai offers to drive him. 

Jongin looks at Kyungsoo. “Do you guys want a ride too?” There’s a short moment where Kyungsoo’s eyes and Kai’s eyes connect. 

Kai looks away right away and Kyungsoo sighs. 

“We can get a taxi or something.” He smiles at Jongin. 

“I can take them.” Minseok offers. “They won’t all fit if you take Sehun anyways.” 

Jongin sulks a little, but Kyungsoo rubs his arm gently.  

“Thanks for the offer,” Kyungsoo says. “Let’s hang out tomorrow?” 

“Let’s do that,” Baekhyun intervenes, wrapping an arm around Kyungsoo. “I’ve been wanting to play Mario Kart again.” 

Jongin smiles. “Sure.” He waves at them a little reluctant still as they say goodbye to the rest of the group and leave. Kai, Sehun and Jongin do the same and make their way to Kai’s car.

“Are you okay?” Kai asks Sehun as he’s been rather silent the entire night.

“I’m fine.” Sehun waits for Kai to unlock the car to get in and so does Jongin. 

Kai decides to let him be for now, if Sehun didn’t want to talk about something there was nothing he could do to get him to talk. He would open up on his own when he feels better. 

Seems like the night went a little downhill for some of them. Jongin sighs when he suddenly gets a message from Kyungsoo. He stares at the unread message for a second before swiping it open. 

>>Are you okay? You seemed a little silent after dinner.

Jongin tries to hold back the smile that is threatening to break his face as his heart fills inexplicably. He types a quick ‘ Yes, I’m fine. Don’t worry .’ A bear emoji right next to the text and sends it back. It wasn’t really much, but it meant he was paying attention to him. 

To him.

And that was enough for Jongin, at least for now.