Chapter 17: Another Semester, Another Starbucks Cup

Double Trouble

A/N: Heyyyy ya'll, its your two favorite authors and its been a while! And we're sorry for that, both of us have been busy and with the given state of the world we hope that everyone is taking care of themselves both mentally and physically!

That being said, with everything that is going on in the world is is so important to keep yourselves aware of what is going on, as this is much bigger than a fanfiction or fandom, but these are people's lives that have been lost and are currently still in jeopardy here is a link where you can find various petitions and other resources to help movements such as BLM.

Helpful Links

Thank you for your time and once again, we hope you enjoy the chapter, hopefully it won't take us two months to get back to you but we're grateful if you're sticking with us, or if you're just finding us and this story for the first time.

Until the next time ^_^/

-Arya and Hannah

...

..

.

..

...

“I can’t believe we’re back already, break felt like it was two days long.” Baekhyun complains as the trio walks through campus. Kyungsoo smiles, shaking his head, and Jongdae sighs next to them.

“More like two hours, all I did was work on my design and listen to my mom complain about me eating junk food,” Jongdae adjusts his bag better over his shoulder and Kyungsoo sends him a look.

“She has a point.” Kyungsoo tells him. 

Jongdae is in denial about it, but Kyungsoo and Baekhyun knew the truth and could only sigh at their friends' eating habits. Despite his friends’ complaints, Kyungsoo managed to get a lot of rest during the break, helping his mom around the house and spending time with some friends and family.

“Of course, you’re on her side...” Jongdae grumbles, giving him a little side eye, but the pout on his lips negates the effect.

 “I’m on the side of the truth.” Kyungsoo smiles, elbowing his friend slightly. “We have to make sure you actually make it to walk across the stage at the end of the semester.”  

Eventually, Jongdae and Baekhyun have to take a different path towards the art building, and Kyungsoo waves goodbye as he keeps walking to his first class. He hasn’t had any coffee yet, but he doesn’t feel as bad as he used to last semester, maybe all because of the rest he got during the break.

Walking into the building, he spots the classroom pretty early on in the enterance of the building. A few students are waiting outside since it’s still kind of early for the class to start. As he approaches, he notices a familiar figure leaning against the wall casually, scrolling through his phone. 

Kyungsoo smiles as he walks over. “Kai?” he greets. 

Kai’s attention turns from his phone upon hearing his name and a big smile decorates his face almost instantly. “Kyungsoo?” Kai pushes his phone inside his pocket. “What are you doing here?”

“I have this class,” Kyungsoo points towards the classroom, he notices people are looking at them and he wonders why.

“Oh…” Kai smirks. “Looks like we’ll be sharing a class this semester Mr. Do.”

Kyungsoo chuckles. “Yeah.” He holds back a slight eye roll, knowing that this was just how Kai is.

Throughout their time outside and even as they move into the classroom, Kyungsoo can feel people glancing at them. He sits down, resting his bag over the desk as Kai takes a seat next to him with a smile. Kyungsoo takes a look around the classroom, noticing almost everybody is looking at them and whispering.   

“Have you or I done something we’re not aware of?” Kyungsoo asks as he pulls out a notebook. “People are staring.”

Kai takes a look around for the first time and chuckles. “No, not really. They’re probably looking because they’ve never seen us talking. Just ignore them.”

Kyungsoo frowns at this, he remembers vaguely Jongdae and Baekhyun mentioning they were known around campus, but he didn’t think just talking to him would get people to stare. He notices a guy sitting a few seats in front of them who completely turned in his chair to get a better view.

“Oh... well then, talking with you must be a cause for conversation,” Kyungsoo can’t help the slightly teasing tone. However, it only makes Kai’s smile grow wider.

“I guess you could say so,” is Kai’s only response.

“Baek was right... you are popular, I won’t get in trouble being seen with you right?” Kyungsoo asks as he watches Kai pull out a notebook as well and at least four pens from his bag.

Kai chuckles. “No, we’re just talking. I think it’s just new, they usually see me with Sehun or Jongin,” he shrugs, inspecting each pen carefully.

“Oh? You don’t have any fangirls do you?” he asks, however he can already see a couple of girls frowning as they look at them.

“Maybe a few, why?” Kai looks up from his pens, taking a look around once again and shaking his head with a smile. It’s obvious he enjoys the attention.

“Really?” Kyungsoo’s eyes widen. “I was joking.”

“Oh…” Kai blinks, laughing right after. “I guess they just think I’m cute, I try to not break hearts on campus though.”

Kyungsoo rolls his eyes, just slightly amused. He remembers Jongdae vaguely mentioning Jongin had a fan club as well when they got paired together for that project the previous semester, but these kinds of things never happened around Jongin before.

“Does Jongin have a fan club too?”

“He does,” Kai nods, as he finishes his inspection putting three pens back inside his bag. He looks so serious that Kyungsoo suddenly starts to wonder if indeed he should be seen talking to them or not. His lack of attention to trivial things could play against him now.

“Are you sure I should be seen with you?” Kyungsoo is partially teasing him, but also partially serious.

“I don’t see why not,” Kai leans forward a bit over his desk, resting his chin on his hand as he looks at Kyungsoo. “Nothing is happening between us, so it should be fine. Unless, you think there is, cause that would be interesting then.”

Kyungsoo lets out a little huff, shaking his head. He has a feeling that this is going to be a long semester. “Did that ever work on anyone?”

“It works on the said fan club.” Kai smirks, sitting back.

“Whatever,” Kyungsoo finishes pulling out what he needs from his bag. “What is that?” He then questions, gesturing at the object in Kai’s hand.

“What? This?” Kai holds his black and silver pen up. He smiles when Kyungsoo nods. “I am a bit particular about pens, that’s all.”

“Are you a pen conessoir or something like that?” Kyungsoo lets out a chuckle that ends in a short laugh when he sees Kai’s blank expression. 

“I never had anybody call me that before…” Kai puts down his pen. He opens his notebook, placing it in front of Kyungsoo and hands him the pen. “Try it.”

Kyungsoo does as he’s told, writing the date. He doesn’t feel anything different from writing with his regular pens, but he feels Kai is expecting a different answer as he looks at him expectantly. 

Kyungsoo puts back the notebook and pen. “It’s nice, I guess,” he says.

“ Nice ?” Kai replies in shock. “This is an S.T. Dupont , rollerball pen!” Kai’s eyes are judging him when he realizes that means nothing to Kyungsoo. “I’ve worked my way through other brands, Lamy, Parker… but none of them are as smooth and easygoing as this pen.”

“It’s pretty,” Kyungsoo offers, he’s trying to hold back a smile at how offended Kai looks, he was serious about his pens for sure.

“This is not only pretty but it’s efficient to write with. You will never catch me with anything other than this brand.” Kai keeps on rambling about pens and their differences, and Kyungsoo can only listen to him, not having the courage to tell him he’s not understanding a single thing. Soon Kai’s rant is cut short by the teacher walking into the classroom. 

Kyungsoo turns his attention to the front of the class, their  teacher starts to talk, mostly an introduction. A few minutes go by when a piece of paper lands on top of Kyungsoo’s notes. He stares at it for a moment and then he looks up at Kai who is looking at the teacher as he talks, but there’s a hint of a smirk on his lips. 

He then opens the piece of paper.

You’re a cute person with a very ugly pen… we have to fix this. Is written in neat handwriting. 

Kyungsoo sighs, folding the piece of paper again and putting it under his notebook. A few minutes went by before he received another one. 

Don’t ignore me, this is important. : (

Kyungsoo slightly glances at a pouty Kai, just shaking his head and giving this second note the same treatment he gave the first one. Turning his attention back to their teacher, for a while he thinks Kai had maybe given up when another note landed over his notebook again. 

This is a very cold treatment I’m receiving from a friend. I must say I am deeply offended. 

Kyungsoo takes a deep breath before writing something on the other side of the paper. 

Focus on the lecture.

Kai bites his lips, trying to hold back a smile as he writes another note and throws it over to Kyungsoo’s desk. 

Play with me first.

Kyungsoo shakes his head, going back to the lecture. However, he knows what’s going to happen next and it is confirmed when he sees the familiar white piece of paper landing on his desk. 

I’m going to be sad if you don’t play with me. 

Kyungsoo quickly writes on it and sends it back. 

Would you like a Kleenex?

Despite the tone of Kai’s notes, Kyungsoo hears a soft laugh next to him. Kai covers his lips with a hand, trying to hold it back and In no time Kyungsoo is receiving another note. 

I see, you don’t like me one bit. Fine : ( 

Kyungsoo doesn’t reply. He keeps writing down the main things they will see that semester and the first assignment, making sure to get every detail in. 

Then he receives another note.  So it’s true… you didn’t even try to deny it. Okay.

Kyungsoo refuses to look at him, who knew sitting next to Kim Kai in class would be like this? Although he feels like he should’ve seen it coming. 

Kyungsoo sighs, writing down his response before passing the piece of paper back over. I do like you… now pay attention. 

Kyungsoo hears Kai gasping next to him followed by another laugh that almost makes him laugh as well. The next note he receives is Kai’s attempt to make the ‘surprised emoji’. It becomes apparent that Jongin was the only one to get the artistic gene. Kyungsoo doesn’t receive any more notes for the rest of the class and for that he is grateful. However, he feels like this is just a sneak peak of what this semester is going to look like. 

Once class is over, they start gathering their stuff. Kyungsoo puts everything back into his bag when suddenly he sees a hand holding a black and silver pen in front of his face. He glances up at Kai, who is indeed holding one of his pens.

“This pen is a symbol of our friendship, you can never throw this out or use those ugly pens around it.” Kai smiles.

“Kai, I can’t just take your pen.” Kyungsoo can’t help to smile at the silliness.

“I have more,” He shrugs. “Besides, I was stressed seeing you write with that BIC.” Kai shakes his head, wrinkling his nose like the thought personally offended him on Kyungsoo’s behalf. “Never use that in my presence ever again.”

Kyungsoo gives in and takes the pen, putting it with the rest of his writing utensils inside of his pencil case. “Thank you, I’ll take care of it.”

They head outside the classroom, people outside of it, still staring at them but Kyungsoo has decided to just ignore it and keep moving. His phone buzzes inside his pocket, and he quickly pulls it out to check it, seeing a message from Baekhyun in their group chat lighting up his screen. 

>> Get to the art building Soo, there’s something you need to see. 

Kyungsoo slightly frowns at the screen, opening up the keyboard.

<< Is everything okay? 

The response is almost instant, the little bubbles appearing. 

>> Yeah! just get over here quickly. 

Kyungsoo sighs. << I’ll be over there soon. 

“Is everything alright?” Kai asks. 

Kyungsoo looks up from his phone. “Yeah, it was just Baekhyun… He says I need to see something.” He places his phone back in his pocket. “Have a great rest of your day.”

“You too,” Kai gives him a smirk that he’s sure is his signature at this point. “Don’t miss me too much.” 

Kyungsoo sighs, shaking his head before walking off. “Make sure you pay attention in your next lecture.” He adds before he’s completely out of ear shot. 

Heading across campus, he makes his way over to the art building, where he’s immediately able to see Baekhyun and Jongdae sitting outside of the art building. Jongdae as usual sipping on a soda like it was his life line. 

Kyungsoo smiles as he approaches his friends. “Hey, what is it that you wanted me to see?” 

There’s a certain way his stomach twists with the way Jongdae and Baekhyun look at each other before smiling at him. 

“What? What is it, you look like you’ve just discovered something greater than that pizza restaurant you love to eat at.” Kyungsoo looks between the two of them, his arms crossed, as he waits for either of them to say something.

Without another word, Baekhyun grabs his hand, Jongdae following them close behind as he leads him into the art building, pulling him to the hallway before they’re stopping in front of what looked to be an exhibit of art. 

Kyungsoo blinks. “They’re drawings…” He looks over at Baekhyun questioningly about what was so special about the line of drawings, although impressive and way out of any realm of ability that he had. “We’re in the art building Baek, this is what you had to show me?” 

“Look closer.” Jongdae urges. 

He sighs and gives into their prodding, looking at the line of drawings done more closely, listed was the class, professor and what the project and display were about. Apparently, the students had been tasked with drawing something that soothed them, there are no names underneath the works. He scans the various drawings, from landscapes, to random items, people and animals. 

However his eyes catch one work and he freezes locking on to the very familiar visage of himself reading in graphite on the background of the cream colored paper. 

Jongdae next to him shakes him. “Someone drew you, Soo.” He croons. 

“Looks like our boy has an admirer…” Baekhyun throws an arm around the other shoulder. 

“Yeah, it was Jongin…” Kyungsoo states, pushing up his glasses, still processing the whole thing. 

“What?!” Baekhyun practically yells, catching the attention of those around him. 

Kyungsoo throws him a look, and Baekhyun gives everyone else a sorry look as they return to reading and studying amongst other things in the small hallway. 

“You knew?” Jongdae asks, leaning back slightly with surprised eyes, his can of soda lingering in the other hand. 

“Well… not exactly that it was for this… but he asked to draw me for an art assignment the last time we did homework together. And I said yes.” He explains. 

Baekhyun just smiles, his eyes twinkling. “Man… this just keeps getting better and better.” he sighs. 

Kyungsoo kinda phases out Baekhyun’s teasing while he looks at the drawing, all he can feel is that warmth spreading in his chest, and a small smile spreading across his lips as he looks at the artwork.