Chapter 12: Ready

Double Trouble

A/N:

Hello, hello... and like that January is over and we are now into February! I hope this first month of the new year as been great for you, and if it hasn't I hope it only gets better from here. And remember to breathe, take your time and that you will get through what ever it is thats going on. Just behind the rain is the rainbow.

Also another reminder that this is prime time months to get sick especially with the unpredictable weather, so remember to wash your hands and drink water!

Here we hydrate don't diedrate.

Anyways we hope you enjoy the chapter, don't forget to drop a comment we appreciate it. To our current readers welcome back, and if you're just joining us welcome we hope you continue to enjoy the ride!

Until the next time!

-Arya and Hannah.

...

..

.

“Ugh, is the semester over yet?” Jongdae groans, slumping his head onto Kyungsoo’s shoulder, closing his eyes for a brief reprieve from the school setting around them. 

Kyungsoo pats his head, eyes mostly focused on the text in front of him that he had to read for history, an exam was coming up and he was trying to refresh himself on some of the finer more intimate details of the events. 

“Not yet, but don’t rush to get there. Before we know it we’ll be walking across the stage.”

Jongdae just lets out another soft groan but continues lying there, taking in the soft afternoon sun before he had to enclose himself in the workshop to work on his sketches and enjoying a little bit of a snack, which for him always included a soda. 

“When do you all go on that, possible internship field trip?” Kyungsoo takes a sip of his water. 

“Monday, next week… I’m just eager to get the project so that we can get started already.” 

"Now that you've said that I don't want to hear you complaining about it at all next week." Kyungsoo laughs. 

The former just gives him a pout and continues resting his head on his shoulder, popping open a can of soda. The hiss of the carbonized drink quietly releasing between them, like a sigh. 

"I can't wait for the day you meet the person who is able to do the thing that I haven't been able to." Kyungsoo flips another page of his book. "I'm surprised your blood isn't pure cola by now." 

Jongdae merely chuckles.

"Seriously Dae, when is the last time you've had some water?" Kyungsoo then reaches for the can. 

"Hey!" 

Kyungsoo merely smiles over the can as he takes a longer sip from the carbonized drink. "It's because I care." 

Jongdae takes back whatever was left of the can, giving his friend one last pout. 

"Kyungsoo!" 

He turns at the sound of his name. "Kai?" He's surprised to see the other Kim twin walking towards him. 

This causes Jongdae to lift from his head, also surprised at seeing the more elusive and more secluded of the twins there. 

The twin gives him a slight smile, acknowledging the other with a nod of his head. "Jongdae." 

He takes a seat across from them at the table they were seated at, both of them surprised to see him there. Kyungsoo in the distance can see just the hovering edge of a group of girls that Jongdae had mentioned, it would make sense that Kai would have a fan club of sorts even though he had never seen Jongin’s in person.

“Hey,” Jongdae gives him a wave. 

“What brings you to our neck of the woods?” 

He gives the pair a shrug. “I saw you and I thought I would say hi…” He raises an eyebrow, “I was even thinking about you today, when I picked up my coffee this morning.”

“Oh yeah, someone has been on the healthy side lately,” Jongdae says bitterly as he drinks the last of his soda.

“It’s because I care,” Kyungsoo repeats with a smile, Kai looks between them not really understanding what was going on.

“Well, I was thinking… we can hang out one of these days, I know a nice place downtown,” Kai’s signature smirk comes out to play and Jongdae chokes on his drink, coughing while Kyungsoo pats his back gently.

“Oh, going out sounds nice,” Kyungsoo looks Jongdae. “Do you think Baek is free?”

“Well…” Jongdae doesn’t get to say much else.

“Actually, I meant just you and me,” Kai is staring right into Kyungsoo’s eyes. “I figured you owed me since the last time we went out you thought I was my brother.”

Kyungsoo feels the heat rush to his cheeks, he would really prefer it if they could move on from that, he wasn’t proud of the lack of attention he had back then, and he didn’t need to remember that episode.

Or Jongdae even.

“I don’t know…” The only reason why Kyungsoo went out with him was because he thought Jongin had multiple personalities, going out with Kai, even when he was nice while hanging out with the rest of the group, felt a little awkward.

“I won’t take no for an answer,” Kai quickly stands up from their table. “I can’t do it on Friday because there’s a friend I have to pick up at the airport, but I’m all yours on Saturday, I’ll text you the time,” Kai winks at him before waving at Jongdae and walking away. Kyungsoo let out a sigh, while Jongdae just laughed.

“He’s all yours on Saturday,” Jongdae mocks, making Kyungsoo groan. “Looks like you have another date.”

“It’s not a date, he said we would hang out,” Kyungsoo really wanted that to be true, he could survive hanging out with him, but a date...

“Yeah… at a nice place downtown, that’s totally a date.”

“Shut up.”

“Oh no, Soo… what are you going to tell Jongin?” Jongdae then turns to his friend with a terrified expression.

“What do you mean?”

Jongdae rolls his eyes, “Like you don’t know.”

“I don’t,” Kyungsoo shrugs, closing his textbook.

“I’m calling Baekhyun,” Jongdae pulls out his phone and suddenly Kyungsoo feels like his day is about to go downhill from there.

Baekhyun had exams and presentations to prepare for, however it took him what seems like literally five minutes to go from one side of the campus to the other. Sitting across from them just like Kai had done a while ago.

“Explain,” is the only thing that comes out of his mouth once he’s settled, bag hitting the ground beside him.

“Kai came over just a few minutes ago, said hi, asked Soo out on a date and left,” Jongdae informs, Kyungsoo takes a deep breath.

“It’s not a date.”

“He asked you out to a ‘nice place’ Soo,” Jongdae makes sure to do the air quotes as well. “Nobody asks you out to a ‘nice place’, just you two, without it being a date.”

“Of course, it’s a date,” Baekhyun says, gasping when he realizes. “What about Jongin?”

“That’s exactly what I said.”

Kyungsoo narrows his eyes slightly at the two friends. “How do we even know that it's a nice place.” 

Baekhyun lets out another scoff. “I can tell that he doesn’t do basic, even if you are just ‘hanging out’.”  

“And why do you two keep bringing up, Jongin?” 

His friends only look at each other, Baekhyun rolling his eyes back over to their mutually equally as lovable but sometimes dense friend. 

“You’ll see one day.” Jongdae sighs. 

“For now we’ll help you.” Baekhyun pats his hand. 

Kyungsoo can do nothing but sigh at the people he called friends, once again equally just as much good as they were some chaos. 

As the day goes on, Kyungsoo finds himself forgetting about the whole incident with Kai, the hangout session barely crossing his mind. It's not until later in the evening that the whole issue is brought back to mind when his phone vibrates from beside him. 

>> 7pm, Saturday. Dress cute, not that should be too difficult for you. 

The message has him letting out a breath in slight disbelief. 

“What’s up?” Beside him Jongin takes a sip from his tea, the beverage a mixture between green tea and lemonade. 

Kyungsoo’s eyes flash up briefly to him. “Nothing much, it's just your brother sending a time to hangout on saturday. His attention is so focused on the phone that he doesn’t notice the look that briefly crosses Jongin’s face. 

<< You know this isn’t how you ask someone to hangout, you didn’t even ask if I was free. 

>> Well are you? I only assumed, because before that you were going to check and see if one of your other friends was free. 

<< You also assumed I owe you. 

<< What would give you that impression? You’re also assuming that I would want to go out with you again. 

>> I’m hurt… 

>> Shooting me down before I’ve even properly had a chance. 

<< Has anyone ever told you that you’re a real piece of work? Kyungsoo laughs a little under his breath, despite himself. 

>> Is that a yes? 

Kyungsoo locks his phone after that, shaking his head, letting the other stew in his lack of a response just a little longer. 

“Is he bothering you?” 

Kyungsoo locks eyes once more with Jongin, who has a bit of an unreadable expression on his face, lips slightly pouting. 

“No, not really.” 

Jongin doesn’t say anything else for a moment, so Kyungsoo is a little bit confused. His screen lights up again with another text, just out of curiosity Kyungsoo takes a look.

>> I’ll eagerly await your answer. Kyungsoo sighs, putting his phone face down, he smiles at Jongin.

“Should we order something to eat?” He asks and Jongin does his best to return the smile and nods. With food in their mind and in their stomachs, they soon forget about texts and confident brothers.

However, Kyungsoo soon discovered Kai was totally serious and surprisingly he didn’t receive any more messages throughout the rest of the day, nor did he run into him again, the same happened on Friday, although he already knew the reason for that absence as he walked with Sehun, Jongin, Jongdae and Baekhyun through the commons era. 

“Is he here?” Sehun asks when Jongin gets a text.

“Not yet, Junmyeon Hyung says they’re almost at the airport.”

“Airport?” Baekhyun questions, he glances at them curiously as Jongin puts his phone back into his pocket.

“Yeah, we have a friend coming back from abroad today,” Jongin responds. Sehun puts an arm over his shoulder.

“Kai and Jun Hyung are on their way to pick him up and we’re supposed to have a surprise welcome home party when they arrive, you guys should come, it should be fun.”

“Isn’t that kind of intimate? we don’t want to intrude,” Baekhyun doesn’t look pleased with Jongdae’s words but he doesn’t say anything.

“Oh it’s fine, the more the merrier,” Sehun chuckles. “Minseok-hyung can’t make it so it will just be us four with him. He’s a little peculiar so I’m sure he will enjoy seeing more people.”

Jongin laughs, covering his mouth with a hand. “Peculiar is one way to put it.” 

“If you guys really don’t mind,” Baekhyun smiles, Jongdae and Kyungsoo just shaking their heads in agreement. 

They’re on their way after that is settled.

They ride in Jongin’s car back to the Kim residence, Baekhyun and Sehun arguing over the front passenger seat, which results in Jongdae almost pulling their ears and Kyungsoo taking the spot. Jongin is relieved they still have some time left to do some decorations for him.

Pulling into the garage, Baekhyun and Jongdae are wide eyed at everything as they walk into the house. They quickly settle on the living room and Jongin gets something for them to snack on while they wait, Sehun sitting across from them filling up some balloons.

“This house is really big,” Baekhyun whispers, making Kyungsoo chuckle and shake his head. He had to agree it was pretty impressive the first time you saw everything.

“The kitchen is amazing,” He replies.

“Of course, you’re impressed by the kitchen,” Jongdae says, making both of them laugh.

“Jongin?” The familiar voice of the Kim matriarch soon fills the room. 

“Yeah mom!” He calls back. 

The older woman rounds the corner giving her son a hug as well as Sehun, pinching his cheek a little when she does. 

“It’s been far too long, Oh Sehun… you can’t come and visit me anymore?” She raises one delicate eyebrow.

“Sorry, mom…” He pouts slightly, but the happy sparkle remains in his eyes. 

She nods satisfactorily before turning to Kyungsoo. “Kyungsoo, dear.” 

“Hi, Mrs. Kim…” He bows before accepting her hug. 

She smiles. “I see you’ve brought guests with you this time around.” 

“Ah, yes… these are my best friends.” 

“Kim Jongdae, ma’am.” He bows towards her giving a gentle smile. 

“Byun Baekhyun, your house is lovely.” He repeats the same action. 

She accepts both greetings with a smile. “Welcome, I’m happy to have you here!” She then turns back to her son. “Are they on their way?”

Jongin nods. “Yes, they’re coming now.” 

“I’ll leave you to it then.” She disappears towards the kitchen, Jongin following behind her. 

“That explains where they get the good looks from…” Baekhyun says. “She’s really nice.” 

Jongdae turns his attention towards him. “What were you expecting, a rich chaebol mother from the dramas? This is the same woman who raised Jongin, there’s no possible way she could be evil.” 

Baekhyun nods in agreement with the words. “You’re right, That would be the real evil.” 

Kyungsoo just smiles at their conversation, in a lot of ways he agreed, it would be some type of universal travesty if Jongin’s mother were the stereotypical ones that they saw in pretty much every drama.     

Jongin then returns with a tray filled with snacks, soda for Jongdae and Baekhyun and some water as well. He sits next to Kyungsoo, watching Sehun fill the living room floor with balloons.

“Sehun, what are you doing? He doesn’t like balloons.” Jongin’s brow furrows. 

“Exactly,” Is Sehun’s only response, along with a mischievous smile on his face. 

Jongin doesn’t say much more, shaking his head knowing that it was already too late to stop whatever this was. 

“Are you sure you’re friends?” Kyungsoo asks. 

“It’s how they are, have been since we were little.” 

“He probably expects the party so I’m just adding the element of surprise,” Sehun shrugs, like it’s the most obvious thing in the world. Kyungsoo, Baekhyun and Jongdae just watch him finish the decorations with skeptical looks. 

Jongin just sighs. “Good thing is that he will know this was all you.”

Time passes by quickly and they soon hear the sound of Kai’s car pulling into the garage. They move to stand by the door, Sehun is holding a couple of balloons behind his back, while Jongin and the rest are holding a banner that says ‘ Welcome Home Chanyeol’ in pretty basic silver lettering as it hung on the wall. They try to be as quiet as possible until the door opens revealing a tall figure, black hair pushed back, black t-shirt and tight jeans.  

“Surprise!” They scream in unison and the guy can only smirk at the group, leaning against the door frame with his arms crossed over his chest.

Mrs. Kim is the first one to greet him at the door. “Park Chanyeol…” she smiles. 

He smiles giving her a bow. “Mrs. Kim.” smiling a wide smile as he accepts her hug. 

“Let me take a look at you... my goodness you’ve grown taller. I can remember when you were just at my knee. It's good to have you back, remember you’re always welcome here…” she smiles at him. 

“Thank you! And of course, someone’s got to make sure those two sons of yours stay on the right path.” 

Kai, Jongin, and Junmyeon let out a little scoff. 

“He says that as if he didn’t tell us some of the things he did in America…” Junmyeon whispers between the three of them. 

Jongin merely sighs and Kai nods in agreement. 

“Myeon-ah…” The Kim matriarch turns her attention to him, similarly pinching his cheek lightly. “You too, you’ve forgotten to come and visit.” 

He still smiles. “Sorry, I’ve been busy… I’ll be sure to stop by soon.” 

She smiles. “I was just teasing… but please remember to take care of yourself even when you’re busy.” 

“Yes, ma’am.” 

Everyone looks on at the interaction with a smile, before Chanyeol’s attention turns to Jongin standing with Kyungsoo and the others. 

“Well, look at this,” He says a pleased smirk on his face, walking forward to hug Jongin who's first in line. “I would say it’s nice to see you, but I already saw your brother.”

“Shut up Chanyeol,” Jongin chuckles as he goes in for the hug as well, “These are our friends, Kyungsoo, Jongdae and Baekhyun.” He says introducing each of them.

“Oh, well it’s certainly nice to see you ,” Chanyeol smiles shaking Kyungsoo’s hand first. “Where did you guys get this one? He’s kind of cute.” Jongin frowns at this statement, but before he can say anything Kai walks in.

“We met him at school,” He smiles. “Well I technically met him at Starbucks but it’s almost the same concept. Keep moving.”

Chanyeol looks over his shoulder at Kai, and then nods. “Oh, okay… and you’re Jongdae was it?”

“That is correct,” Jongdae gives him a bright smile as he shakes his hand as well. “Nice to meet you.”

“Sure,” Chanyeol smiles and moves on to the next one of the line, “And you’re… cute and tiny, almost pocket size,” He laughs, turning to look at Kai and Junmyeon. “Seriously guys you did great.”

“Chanyeol…” Jongin tries to stop him, but Kyungsoo just shakes his head.

“Well, you got the cute part right,” Baekhyun responds, “I can’t say the same about you though.”

“Ah, he’s feisty… I like it,” Baekhyun raises an eyebrow at this, completely unimpressed. “We should go out soon.”

“Uh, no thank you,” Baekhyun smiles, heading back to the couches, since he’s done greeting this idiot already. Meanwhile Chanyeol is left feeling slightly confused.

“No?” He approaches Baekhyun once again. Chanyeol has never been rejected before, it didn’t matter the country, the people, he would always get a positive answer.

“Good, you understand.” Baekhyun claps his hands together, with a smile. 

“Are you sure about that babe ?” Chanyeol’s expression shifts a little, obviously trying to lay the charm on by leaning in slightly into his face. 

Baekhyun unphased merely smirks amused. “Yeah, I’m sure doll .”

The rest of the group are just watching this, heads going back and forth between the two as if they were watching a tennis match. It was actually quite entertaining, especially when they see Chanyeol taking a deep breath. He doesn’t know what to say for about two seconds, his brain processing the way this guy is brushing him off, before Sehun comes rushing in, with the balloons still in his hands.

“Oh Sehun, take that away from me!” He backs away from the colorful objects. 

“I’ll pop them in your face.” Sehun threatens sticking one blue colored balloon close to his face.  “You just ignored me.”

“Don’t you dare!” Chanyeol glares at him slightly. 

Sehun chases Chanyeol around the living room, still holding the balloons. Kyungsoo turns to Jongin.

“Are they going to be okay?” To which Jongin laughs.

“Yeah, they’re just happy to see each other,” Jongin then greets Junmyeon and introduces Baekhyun and Jongdae as well, before they all move to the living room. Kai takes advantage of the balloon chaos to sit next to Kyungsoo, smirking when Soo notices him and rolls his eyes.

“Do you have an answer for me this lovely evening?” He leans towards him slightly, his voice low.

Kyungsoo sighs, when he accepted to hang out that afternoon, he didn’t think about the fact that he would have to see Kai as well.

“I don’t know why you keep resisting, just say yes… What’s the worst that can happen? You have a good time, a free meal and possibly want to go out again.”  

Kyungsoo lets out a little huff and turns to look at him, and the moment he does, he realizes it’s a mistake. Words caught in his throat as he finds that Kai is too close to his liking, making the decision to put some space between them. 

“I’m a gentleman, you won’t regret it.” Kai adds, the eye contact still as intense, but not closing the distance between them again.  

“I’m already regretting it.”

“Oh, so that means you will go out with me?” The smile grows on his face. 

 Kyungsoo rubs his temples, letting out a sigh. “Yes, I’ll go.” He feels a bubble build in his chest, maybe it was because he realizes that this would be different than the first time. 

He actually has the knowledge that he is going out with someone other than Jongin.  

Kai smirks once again, biting on his bottom lip. “Tomorrow at seven p.m, don’t forget.” He stands up from the couch. “Oh, and remember to dress cute, although if our previous date is any indicator then I know you will.” he winks at Kyungsoo before leaving to break Sehun and Chanyeol apart. 

Kyungsoo sighs, trying to keep his brain from overthinking the whole situation, eventually he  decides to just forget about it for the time being, moving to talk to Baekhyun and Jongdae as they watch the scene Chanyeol and Sehun are causing, and Junmyeon and Mrs. Kim slightly scolding them. 

Ignoring the anxiousness he’s feeling. 

Ignoring Kai’s mischievous stare. 

And not noticing Jongin’s eyes on him, eyes that had been on him for a long time.