Chapter 20: Friendiversary (Monthiversary)

Double Trouble

A/N:

Hello, hello! and welcome back! This update is actually quite a special one for Hannah and I! The fifteenth of this month was officially Double Trouble's one year anniversary!

So as such we decided to do a little something special!

And that was to give you two chapters! So your eyes did not deceive you! This one just being a little fun something, to mark the occasion.

We'd both like to thank you from the bottom of our hearts for all of the support, the kudos, and the love this fic has gotten over the past year! It has honestly meant a lot, to think just a year ago that both Hannah and I saw that side by side Image of Jongin in those outfits and as they say the rest is history.

If you're just joining us, thank you and if you've been here for the past year thank you!

We hope you continue to enjoy this ride with us.

and now without further ado, please enjoy! We'll see you in the next one!

-Arya and Hannah.

...

..

.

..

...

Kyungsoo chuckles. 

He discovered that he has been smiling quite often while reading the book Jongin let him borrow. Not because there was anything especially funny about the book, however, every few pages he would find a small drawing of two bears doing whatever the book is narrating, either holding hands or sitting on a bench or two bears of the same height or a big bear with a small bear next to it.

That wasn’t all though.

There were little notes, and things Jongin wrote. Like things he understood about the book, or comments about what the characters were doing. When Kyungsoo started reading he thought it would be weird but somehow, it’s somewhat fun to read like this. It feels like he’s reading with Jongin.

He chuckles again at another drawing of a mad bear chasing a little bear on the next page, when he feels a presence next to him. Kyungsoo looks up to see Kai sitting there, he’s not looking at him and didn’t say anything for a second. Kyungsoo blinks, confused for a moment, when suddenly he sees Kai sliding a piece of paper towards him.

The teacher hasn’t arrived yet, and there were just a few students around, so Kyungsoo couldn’t understand why Kai was being like this. Regardless of anything he grabs the folded piece of paper to see what it says.

Did you bring them?

Kyungsoo sighs but he smiles nonetheless, the antics of the other man almost made this feel like it was a drug deal of some sort, he glances back at Kai who is notably trying to not smile. Kyungsoo shakes his head.

“Of course, I did. I’ll give them to you after class.” How could Kyungsoo forget when Kai spent a whole day reminding him about his brownies.

“Okay,” was all Kai said, but then he placed a Starbucks cup in front of Kyungsoo. 

The other just stared for a moment.

“Kai… what is this?” The smell of coffee hits Kyungsoo right away and he grabs the cup.

“I bought it for you on my way here.” Kai finally smiles, his eyes going from the cup to Kyungsoo.

“Is this because of the brownies?” Kyungsoo raises an eyebrow. “I thought we already agreed on a payment.”

“Oh no, this is for a totally different reason.” Kai seems amused. “Read the cup.”

Kyungsoo does as he’s told. His eyes widen when he reads what is written instead of a name.

Happy monthiversary.

“What?”

“It’s the monthiversary of the day we met.” Kai says. He chuckles.

“You’ve been keeping track of that?” Kyungsoo is surprised to say the least.

Kai laughs. “I just happened to remember. Since I’m getting brownies, I thought I would bring you coffee.”

“Oh, so it was because of the brownies.” Kyungsoo tilts his head as he says this, putting a bookmark in the pages before setting it down on his desk, a brief chuckle escaping his lips.

Kai rolls his eyes. “Drink the coffee already.”

“Alright, alright.” Kyungsoo chuckles as he takes a sip and hums, pulling back with surprise. “My favorite.”

There’s a tiny sparkle inside Kai’s eyes before it’s replaced with a smirk. “I know.”

“Do you do this with all of your friends?” 

Kai gives him another playful expression. “You’re special… it's a Kyungsoo exclusive.” 

Kyungsoo chuckles again a bit. “Ah, I see… don’t tell Sehun I have a feeling he’ll be sad about it.” He takes another sip of the beverage, delighting in the way that it was slowly waking him up in the morning. 

Kai snorts a bit. “He’ll be alright. This won’t kill him.” 

“But seriously, thank you for the coffee.” Kyungsoo gives him a smile. 

Kai blinks again, a softer version of his usual smirk coming over his face. “You’re welcome.” 

The rest of the lecture goes by smoothly, for once Kai not passing notes during it, Kyungsoo thinks to himself it might have to do with the motivation of the treats that he was toating with him. Not that he would withhold them from Kai, he had made a promise after all and he was going to keep his word. 

As they’re exiting the class, Kyungsoo holds out the bag containing the freshly made pan of brownies. “Here you are… the pan is disposable so you don’t have to worry about trying to return anything.” 

Kai’s eyes light up more as he inspect the bag, moving it aside to see the covered pan. “It’s a pleasure to do business with you.” 

Kyungsoo smiles, shaking his head. “Just make sure that you don’t eat yourself sick, not that I can stop you.” 

Kai nods, tying up the bag and holding it by his side like it was something precious, obviously ignoring all of the eyes that were upon them once again, whispers that weren’t whispers being thrown around. “Do you want to do our homework together this weekend? Maybe we could get a head start on that paper.”

Kyungsoo does give him sort of an apologetic expression. “Sorry, I have plans this weekend, but I’m definitely down for sometime next week.” 

Kai leans against the wall next to them, crossing his arms, being careful of the bag in his hands. “Have a hot date?” The tone is light and teasing. 

“Actually yes…” Kyungsoo admits with a slight blush on his face, scratching the back of his head. 

There’s just the slightest twitch of emotion in his face, just enough that one would maybe call it a little displeased, but it's gone as soon as it had come and then his more usual expression covers his face again. 

“Lucky them…” Kai simply remarks, and then he looks at the watch on their wrist. “I’ll talk to you later?” 

Kyungsoo nods, a little taken aback at the seeming shift in his mood. “Yeah, later.” He confirms. 

And then they part, Kyungsoo heading out into the quad, immediately spotting Jongdae sitting out at a table, drinks, snacks and a book spread out between him. 

“Dae!” Kyungsoo calls as he gets close, setting his bag down. 

Jongdae smiles looking up from his phone for the moment. “Hey, Soo…” He gives a tired smile although looking a little frazzled. 

“What's wrong, Dae? You look like you’ve been pulling your hair out.” 

Jongdae releases a little scoff, rubbing his face. “I might as well be, we’ve got the results coming in Friday and I’m a nervous wreck.” 

“Dae. It’s going to be fine. I’m confident you’re going to be the one they choose. Besides, just think… you’ve got a date with Minseok-hyung on Friday as well.” 

Upon the immediate mention of this, a smile crosses Jongdae’s face, and his body posture relaxes a little. “Yeah… You’re right.” 

“And you know he won’t look at you any less even if you don’t get chosen.” 

“Right…” Jongdae sighs. “I just need to relax.” He closes the papers in front of him, possibly him looking over copies of his own work. 

Kyungsoo smiles and nods in agreement, rubbing his back in a comforting manner. 

“Jongdae, Kyungsoo!” 

The pair look up at the sounds of their names, smiling when they see Jongin approaching them. He smiles as he sits down next to Kyungsoo.

“Hey Jonginnie!” Jongdae greets. “Done with morning classes already?”

“I’m actually on my way to class.” Jongin replies. “How are you guys?”

“We’re good, taking advantage of our break.” Kyungsoo says. “Oh! Also, I’m almost done with your book, I’m really enjoying it.” He gestures to the copy of the book, sitting on the table with the rest of his notebooks. 

Jongin’s eyes light up at the mention of his favorite book. “Let me know your thoughts when you’re done.” He then reaches into his bag, pulling out a beautiful yellow rose. Turning to Kyungsoo, he gives it to him with a smile.

Kyungsoo is slightly confused at first. “Oh, thank you.” He tilts his head until something finally clicks. “Did Kai tell you about the ‘monthiversary’ thing?”

“He might’ve mentioned it.” Jongin stands up. “I read somewhere that yellow roses can represent friendship and happiness… and new beginnings.” He grins.

Kyungsoo blinks, his cheeks turning a light pink. “Ah, well, thank you. I’m sorry I didn’t get you anything, I will next time.”

“Don’t worry.” Jongin shakes his head. “I’ll see you guys later.”  

Jongdae and Kyungsoo nod, waving at him as he leaves. There’s a silence between them while Kyungsoo takes a moment to admire his flower, thinking of ways to keep it safe during the rest of the day.

“So… monthiversary?” Jongdae questions, fingers thrumming against the metal of the can before he takes another sip of his drink, hiding his own grin behind it. “Kai got you something too?” 

Kyungsoo sighs. “Yeah…” His attention turns up from the rose, up to Jongdae whose eyes are sparkling with unspoken teasing. 

“Oh, hush.” Kyungsoo playfully glares at his best friend. 

“Wait until Baek hears about this~” He waves his phone, the screen open on their group chat, and from the way bubbles were appearing it was clear that Baekhyun had been made aware of the current events. 

Kyungsoo only bumps shoulders with him with a smile, twirling the rose in between his fingers.