Chapter 19: Evolution

Double Trouble

A/N:

Hey! Hello~ How are all of you? We hope you're doing well and still staying safe out here, and we hope that you're finding something to do that you enjoy, whether it be a new book, journaling, a language, or even discovering a new artist.

Lately, I've been listening to a lot of Hans Zimmer's work (Arya).

I’m just enjoying looking at Jongin lately (Hannah).

Well we hope you enjoy this chapter, thank you for joining us, don't forget to comment we love interacting with you guys!

Until the next time!

-Arya and Hannah.

....

...

..

.

..

...

The familiar coffee scent fills Kyungsoo’s senses when they walk into their usual Starbucks. He hadn’t been there in a while, so when Baekhyun suggested it after their last class of the day, he agreed a little too enthusiastically. They order and sit down to enjoy their drinks.

“I need you to force me to focus on my project today,” Baekhyun says, taking a sip of his drink. “I have so much to do that when I start, I get distracted often.”

“I can do that.” Kyungsoo nods.

“I’m almost done with my design, so I’ll help too.” Jongdae gives his friend a thumbs up, tapping his pen against the surface of his notebook. 

“How’s the other thing doing?” Baekhyun wiggles his eyebrows suggestively at his friend. 

Jongdae takes a sip of his coffee, ignoring the question. 

“Come on, since the party I’ve seen you and Minseok chatting often.” Baekhyun leans a little bit forward on the table, imploring him to give an answer with his eyes. 

Jongdae shrugs, trying to hide a soft blush behind his cup. “It’s nice to talk to him.”

“That’s where it all starts,” Baekhyun smiles, then turning to his other friend. “What about you? Have you talked to Jongin about the: you know what?”

Kyungsoo sighs. “Not yet.”

“Not yet?” Baekhyun rolls his eyes.

He loved his friend, but sometimes he could overthink things. “What are you waiting for?”

“I don’t know,” Kyungsoo shrugs. “It’s just… what do I even say?”

“Just tell him you saw the drawing; I’m sure things will flow after that.”

“You think?” Kyungsoo bites his bottom lip.

“Yes! Call him right now.” Baekhyun grabs Kyungsoo’s phone from the table and gives it to him.

“What about the forced study session?” Kyungsoo questions, raising an eyebrow.

“Dae can help me,” Baekhyun replies and Jongdae nods. “Call him.”

Kyungsoo sighs once again, scrolling down his contacts until his finger hovers over Jongin’s name. He calls before changing his mind.

The line only rings twice before the call is picked up.

“ Hey !

“Hi Jongin. How are you?” Kyungsoo feels Baekhyun elbowing him, gesturing for him to get to the point.

“ I’m good! You ?”

“Good! Uh, listen, I was wondering if we could hang out this afternoon.” Kyungsoo clears his throat. “Maybe we could do homework together.”

“ Sure !” He can hear the excitement in Jongin's voice. “ I’m just getting out of class. Where are you ?”

“Starbucks,” Kyungsoo replies.

“ I’ll be right there .” 

The call soon ends there with a slight click and there was a part of Kyungsoo that was more than ready to get this confrontation over with, although the other part of him didn't want to make things awkward between them especially if it would make Jongin uncomfortable. 

What if he hadn't meant to have been seeing it outside of the time the other asked to draw him, and it wasn't as if he didn't know the drawing was happening. He consented to the project. 

But perhaps it seemed to be, or rather was the more personal topic of the drawing that was giving him the slight anxiety. 

Looking away from his phone, he can see his friends trying to keep the grins off of their faces, Kyungsoo crosses his arms and sits back. 

"Byun, aren't you supposed to be working on your project? I don't want to hear you come crying to us because you couldn't keep on task for the assignment." Kyungsoo reaches for his drink, feeling the caffeine fill his system. 

Baekhyun merely smiles in response before they're all getting to work, either keeping Baekhyun on track for his paper or whether it was their own deep dive in to their own work for the time being, Jongdae is looking at something Baekhyun had written when they hear Jongin's voice greet them. 

Jongdae is the first to greet him with a smile, looking up from the computer screen. "Jonginie! How are you?" 

Jongin smiles in kind, taking the purposefully left open seat beside Kyungsoo as he sets down his bags and hangs his jacket over his chair, Kyungsoo finds himself looking over the outfit finding that it was similar to the one the other man had worn the last time at the party with the exception the turtle neck was now accompanied with jean overalls, some type of pattern in the fabric. Kyungsoo could maybe think that he had seen the brand in a magazine before, a black beanie covering his head and the familiar wire frame of his glasses rested on his nose.  

 "I'm well... Thank you. I hope you're doing okay?" His eyes travel around the table, he and Kyungsoo's eyes briefly locking for the briefest moments, Kyungsoo only hoping that the smile that he gave the other man in response actually seemed genuine and not in any way nervous. 

Or worse case scenario came out more as a grimace. 

He was the one who had invited him here after all, even if it was a little coerced. 

Baekhyun lets out a little groan at that. "I would be better if I didn't have to do this project... I'm ready to throw the whole thing out of the window." He pouts a little, looking at Kyungsoo and Jongdae each in turn. "And these two won't let me take a break." 

"Hey!" Jongdae chides. "We're only doing as you asked and keeping you on track." 

"And you don't get a break when you try to stop every ten minutes, Byun." Kyungsoo chuckles. "Just think, if you get it done sooner you won't have to pull an allnighter to finish it. 

"But some of my best work is done under pressure." Baekhyun remarks, taking a sip of his own beverage. 

Jongdae snorts a little. "Yeah, go back in time and tell that to yourself in your sophomore year when you had to stay up all night doing that music history paper." 

Baekhyun groans, shivering a little, and actually looking a little more than disgusted at the memory. 

"What happened then?" Jongin asks, looking between the three with slightly wide eyes, and the slightest bit of concern. 

"This man here," Kyungsoo points at Baekhyun. "Decided that it was a good idea to push off a major paper until the week of one of his major recitals... he started it that afternoon, and when he called us I thought he was going to have a breakdown." 

"We stayed up all night with him to help him finish it." Although Jongdae sounds a little exasperated, he's smiling. 

"It's because they love me… they can't deny that." Baekhyun replies with a smile. "I treated them to a very nice dinner after it was all said and done." 

Kyungsoo chuckles. "Moral of the story, he vowed never to let something like that happen ever again." his eyes drift back over to Jongin who was recovering from a laugh as well, which soon is joined by a slight blush as he looks away. Kyungsoo can feel the looks that his two best friends are giving them. 

"Say, Baekhyun... you want to go up and get a snack with me? They just laid fresh cakes out." Jongdae says. 

And it's with a sinking feeling that he realizes that they're making this confrontation happen sooner rather than later. 

"Yeah," Baekhyun smiles.

"It would be good to stretch my legs. Do you want anything, Jonginie?" He turns his attention to the other student. 

"Ah, no thank you... I actually had something before I came here." He gives them both a gentle smile. 

Before Kyungsoo can even get in a word edgewise, the pair are going off to the counter, Baekhyun giving him a wink and a look that says to just do it, although there was still the option of just pretending that he never saw it. 

But eventually he knew that somehow it would come up that Jongdae or Baekhyun had seen the drawing, which meant in some way he had to have seen it too, whether in person or a photograph they sent him in their chat. 

It's just them at the table, Jongin pulling items and other notebooks out of his bag and setting them on the space in front of him, the slight din of the cafe interrupted by the brief wiring of his computer booting up. 

Kyungsoo didn't know how else to confront it, so he decided to just go for it. "So... Your drawing turned out really nice." He ends up almost stuttering over his words, taking another long drag of his coffee as he notices Jongin freeze up in his actions.  

And then Jongin moves again, pushing up his glasses from slipping off of the bridge of his nose. "Oh..." softly escapes his lips, followed by the briefest of blushes topping his ears. "Ah, thank you... you saw it?" 

Kyungsoo nods, setting down his drink. He was going to blame most of the wetness on his hands from the condensation from his ice coffee. "Ah, yeah... Baek and Dae saw it and showed it to me. You're really talented." The last part he had told the other man before. 

The briefest silence falls over them, just the white noise of the cafe and other orders being called out around them. "So... something I’m something soothing? I have to say I'm flattered." Kyungsoo now pushes up his own glasses as he feels his face heat up just saying it out loud was enough to make his face heat up. 

And then he doesn't hear Jongin make a noise or move a muscle, looking back up to see quite an unreadable expression on his face, something that he would akin to have seen on Kai's   It was unreadable and it had Kyungsoo frankly a little concerned that he had in some way offended the other man with this admission and maybe forced him possibly into telling him something that might have been more personal. 

"Look, Jongin-"  

"Go out with me." 

The statement cuts and halts his speech, and Kyungsoo looks at the other man just sitting next to him, the slight blush that was on his ears now flooding to the rest of his face in a slightly red torrent. 

Although unlike the last times that this had happened, Jongin didn't let his own waiver from Kyungsoo's own stunned one. 

"Would you... you like to go out on a date with me?" This time he asks a bit softer, and more so in the tone that he had been used to from the other man, but Kyungsoo's continued silence seems to discourage him and he looks down. "I mean, you don't have to... It's silly-" 

Kyungsoo looks up then, seeing both Baekhyun and Jongdae looking pointedly at him. It was obvious that the pair had been close enough after getting their orders to hear the last part of the exchange. 

This is what snaps Kyungsoo out of his stunned speechlessness. "Yes. I will..." He replies in almost flurried rush, immediately cutting through Jongin's own slightly panicked sentence, causing the other blushing man to look back up at him in surprise. 

Kyungsoo then calms himself by taking a deep breath and clearing his throat. "I mean yes, I would love to go out with you." He says calmer, with a slight smile, feeling the heat in his cheeks grow again as he witnesses the twinkle of joy that alights in Jongin's eyes, before a smile sweeps over his face. 

"Great!" Jongin says, a smile quickly claiming his face.

Jongin lets out a little laugh, and Kyungsoo can hear how relief floods through the sound. "That's really great..." Jongin says again, his eyes never leaving Kyungsoo's face, again with an unreadable expression. 

Kyungsoo finds himself nodding in agreement, wetting his throat with a swallow, wondering where did they go from here? Discussing what to do, although Kyungsoo knew that could come at a much later time if need be, although his question is soon answered by their two friends returning to the table, more than smug looks settling in the light of their eyes as their gazes flickered over the two. 

"Hey! Didn't miss us too much did you?" Baekhyun says setting the treats back down on the table. 

Kyungsoo turns back to face them, hoping that the hint of his blush still wasn't there, but by the looks on Jongdae and Baekhyun's faces he could tell that it more than likely was.

"What was there to miss? You just went to the counter." He takes a sip of his drink, hoping that this would cool him down some. 

Baekhyun gives him a dramatic sigh. "How you wound me, Soo..." 

"Yet you still come back for more." 

Jongdae slides over a piece of cake towards Jongin. "Here we got you something too, I hope you like the flavor." 

Jongin perks up further at the offered treat if that were in any way more possible for the other man who seemed to glow a bit in pure happiness. "Thank you... as long as it's sweet I don't mind." He takes the brown paper package and almost immediately digs into the treat. 

Jongdae shoots Kyungsoo a smile and a thumbs up slightly from where he could see under the table and he could only shake his head at the other man, although a small smile crept over his face, he was happy that the confrontation was over with and that almost immediately afterwards Baekhyun said that they should return to work. 

Although the look he shot Kyungsoo told him that he would have to tell the other man every detail in tandem after this. 

But for the moment, he was more than satisfied with the small smile Jongin gave him before he went into his work as their eyes met. 

He couldn't lie. It made his heart flutter a bit. 

                                                                                               ***

As it turns out, Kyungsoo wasn't the only one who had hit it lucky in the dating department as the pair figured out that Jongdae himself was the recipient of getting asked out. 

"Minseok-hyung?" Kyungsoo's eyes were a little wide, although he didn't know why he was surprised the two had been talking ever since they met at Chanyeol's birthday party again. 

Baekhyun stares at his friend with a slight glare. "How come we're only just finding out about this? Hmm? How long ago did he ask you out?" 

Jongdae sighs, letting out a little groan. "This past weekend... and because I knew you would make a big deal out of it, and I don't want to be more nervous than I already am." 

Baekhyun's gaze softens at that. "You know that I just want you to be happy... But then that means he asked you after the party." He gives Jongdae a bright grin. "I told you that outfit was a winner." 

"Well, that and he spent all evening trying to pick the perfect picture to send to him." Kyungsoo remarks, eating a chip from the bag. 

For once during their Senior year so far, they actually had nothing to do, no homework, or work shift to cover and they were taking advantage of that by doing just that, nothing. 

Jongdae blushes, sticking his tongue out childishly at Kyungsoo. 

"But in all seriousness, Dae… this is great. Did he tell you where you're going? He seems like the type to have it all planned out ahead of time." Kyungsoo shifts the position with which he was lying on Jongdae's bed, making the pillow underneath him as comfortable as possible. 

Jongdae shakes his head. "Not yet... but he said he would tell me soon." 

The small giddy little smile that crosses over Jongdae's face isn't lost on his friends, they're more than happy to see him acting this way about a date. Jongdae then comes in between them, flopping on the bed, eyes shooting open. "Oh, my god.... what if he takes me somewhere really upscale? I have nothing to wear for that type of situation!" 

Baekhyun chuckles. "Relax, like you said, I'm sure Minseok-hyung is going to tell you everything that you need to know. Plus, I doubt he would take you somewhere too upscale on your first date. Especially if he's trying to make you comfortable.”  

Jongdae sighs. “I guess you’re right.”

“What about you? Mr. I don’t know what to say. That went so well.” Baekhyun smiles, reaching over Jongdae to poke Kyungsoo.

“I was a little surprised though.”

Kyungsoo blinks, his head still processing what happened. That he really had a date with Jongin.

“Same, I didn’t think he would ask you out.” Jongdae says. “I thought you would have to, and then you were not saying anything… I thought we would have to intervene.”

“Not at all, he just… took me off guard.”

“I’m sure he’ll take you somewhere nice too.” Baekhyun wraps an arm around Jongdae, squeezing him out of excitement. “You’re welcome.”

Kyungsoo scoffs. “Sure.”

“See? I told you both you would have boyfriends before we graduated.” Baekhyun smiles, leaning his head over Jongdae’s shoulder.

“Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.” Kyungsoo says.

“Yes, we need to get through the first date first.” Jongdae agrees.

“You’ll both do great; I have a good feeling.”

“Whatever you say.” Kyungsoo is not thinking too much about it. He will see what happens once they get there.

The trio spends the rest of the afternoon discussing what Jongdae and Kyungsoo’s dates would be like. Baekhyun throws out scenarios that have them questioning their friend’s imagination. Eventually they decide to watch a movie.

Then Kyungsoo’s phone buzzes, he picks up the device noting the name at the top of the message.

It’s Kai.

>> This is a business text.

Kyungsoo sighs and replies quickly.

<< Okay…

>> I was thinking about you today.

Kyungsoo rolls his eyes. A quick glance at Jongdae and Baekhyun confirms that they are too busy arranging everything to pay attention to him.

<< I thought you said it was a business text.

>> Let me finish… specifically your brownies. What do I have to do to get more?

He includes the thinking hard emoji and Kyungsoo shakes his head, an amused huff escaping his lips.

<< Just ask, I guess.

>> Really? You’re allegedly a chef, but you’re not very good at negotiating.

<< I’m not a chef yet, and I thought we agreed it’s what friends do.

>> True.

>> Still, it doesn’t feel right because I know I’ll just keep asking for more.

<< Ok. How about we consider the pen you gave me advanced payment for brownies.

>> Interesting. I’ll be waiting for the product then.

Kyungsoo laughs at this. He doesn’t reply, setting his phone on silent as he walks back to his friends. They have turned the room into an improvised movie theater.

“What was so funny?” Baekhyun asks. He was wrapping himself with a blanket, looking like a human burrito.

“Kai.” Kyungsoo shrugs, sitting next to him. He grabs the popcorn Jongdae gives him and sets it on his lap.

“What did he say?” Jongdae crosses his arms as he observes his friend.

“It was a business text about brownies.” Kyungsoo explains. He eats popcorn when he notices the other two are still looking at him. “What?”

“Oh, it’s nothing.” Baekhyun smiles, leaning over Kyungsoo. “We’re just… watching.”

Jongdae nods, patting Kyungsoo’s arm, but he says nothing else. There’s a silence between them, however Kyungsoo knows they have more to say.

“Just spill it.”

“I’m just thinking… is this an excuse to ask you out?” Baekhyun reaches out for some popcorn.

“I don’t think he will.” Considering how things went the last time Kai asked him out, Kyungsoo didn’t think he would try to anytime soon. “He was still thinking about paying for them.”

“And what did you tell him?” Jongdae asks.

“That I would take the pen he gave me as advanced payment.” Kyungsoo reaches out for the laptop and scrolls down through the Netflix catalog.

“What kind of pen is it? I’ve been curious since Sehun was all upset about it.” Baekhyun takes the laptop from Kyungsoo and opens a new tab to search on google. “What’s the brand?”

“I don’t know… he said S. T. something.” Kyungsoo and Jongdae leaned over to see. Kyungsoo had to admit he was kind of curious himself.

“ S. T. Dupont ?” Baekhyun browses through the website, taking a sip of his soda as he looks through the different pens.

“Yes, It’s that one.” Kyungsoo points at one Baekhyun had just passed, so the other scrolls back and clicks on it.

Baekhyun nearly choked on his soda. “He gave you a hundred and fifty-five-dollar pen?”

“It’s a great pen.” Jongdae says, although his eyes are wide as well, despite the tone of his voice was seemingly even. 

Kyungsoo’s eyes widen slightly. “Uh, I guess, he has a few others too.”

“There’s a pen here for Six hundred dollars Soo.” Baekhyun pats his own chest, still recovering. “Who spends this much on a pen?”

“Well, looks like Kai does.” Jongdae chuckles and he wraps an arm around Kyungsoo’s shoulders. “You’ll be making quite a few brownies.”

Quite a few brownies was an understatement.

Kyungsoo just lets out a slight chuckle. “It could be worse… They’re only brownies, and I’m sure he won’t ask for them all of the time.” he shifts, getting comfortable, turning his attention back to the television. “Now aren’t we supposed to be watching something?” He eats a piece of popcorn from the bowl. 

From there their conversation drops from that and switches back to the television, but Kyungsoo can’t help but look at his phone as it buzzes on more time. And while Jongdae and Baekhyun are arguing between two movies, he looks at the screen. 

A message from Jongin, wishing him a good afternoon and the hope that he had a good day. 

As usual the message brings a smile to his face and then the newest addition of giddiness with it.