Chapter 22: Tag, You're It.

Double Trouble

A/N:

*Opens calendar* Hi, its your to fave writers back at it again with another update, sorry its almost been like two months, the last month and a half has been stressful I (Arya) live in America, but I made it through the election alive and with just a little bit less sleep, so its just been a whirlwind on top of other real life and other fic fest commitments for the both of us!

Ah, thank you for joining us for another chapter and over 5k reads you guys are great! I hope you enjoy this chapter, do forget to shoot us a comment.

See you next time!

-Arya and Hannah.

...

..

.

..

..

...

“ Rock, paper, scissors, shoot! ”

Hands reveal rock and scissors, leaving a groaning Chanyeol and a laughing Kai disputing their team members on the side. The group had agreed to play laser tag and, as always, the two had taken over everything.

Kai smirks. “I’m taking Minseok-hyung then.”

“You can’t take Minseok-hyung!” Chanyeol complains. They had been arguing about the teams for at least fifteen minutes.

“Don’t fight over me, boys,” Minseok chuckles from the bench.

 He, Jongdae, Kyungsoo and Baekhyun are watching them argue, while Jongin and Sehun are too busy checking out how the laser guns work and the vests they have to wear.

Junmyeon and Yixing on the other hand, are looking on waiting to be placed, but for the most part they’re just ignoring the little squabble.

“Fine, I’m taking Jun-hyung then,” Chanyeol says with a sigh.

“Yixing is going to be on the team too then.” Junmyeon adds, looking up from his corner where he had been talking with Yixing.

“Sure, why not?” Chanyeol replies.

“I want to be on Chan’s team too.” Sehun blurts out. 

The rest of them just stare at him for a moment.

“Okay…” was all Chanyeol could say.

“Cool, then I’m taking Kyungsoo.” Kai smiles, quickly glancing over his shoulder at him.

Chanyeol grabs his laser gun patiently, securing it to his vest. “I’ll take Jongin, then.” 

“Why are you taking my brother?” Kai playfully pushes him. “That means your team is full and Baekhyun is on my team.” He then whispers.

Chanyeol’s eyes land on Baekhyun for a moment and he sighs. “We’ll win either way.”

“You wish Park.”

Kai walks over to his team to finish getting ready for the match.

“So, it’s us four with you? Jongdae is on the team too?” Minseok asks, and Kai nods.

“Well, I kind of figured he would be a one packaged deal with you hyung.” Kai chuckles, stepping back when Minseok glares at him. 

Jongdae on his part looked away to hide his blushing face.

“You shouldn’t mess with me; I know a lot .” Minseok shoots back, erasing Kai’s smile.

“Don’t be like that, Hyung.” Kai pouts slightly, gaining a smile from the older man. “Let’s discuss strategy.”

“Strategy?” Jongdae asks. He exchanges a look with Kyungsoo and Baekhyun as they try to finish setting up their equipment.

“Of course. We’re going against Chanyeol, he doesn’t take these games lightly.” Kai replies.

Minseok sighs. “Yeah, didn’t he have like set plans in the past? With code names and all?” He chuckles.

“He did, that’s why we have to do the same. I know how he plays so I can kind of predict what they’re going to do.” Kai smirks. They discuss their plan for a few minutes between whispers and laughter. A few of them glancing at the other team every now and then.

An instructor soon approaches them, and both teams gather around him. The man quickly starts explaining everything they need to know.

“Okay, so before you guys start, I just need to explain a few rules.” He says. “You all should have a laser gun and a vest on. The laser gun is used with both hands in order for it to shoot your opponent. Do not push, pull or try to hit other people, keep a safe distance at all times.”

The group nods.

“The vest has a sensor that will vibrate once you have been hit and your laser gun will make a noise as well when you’re out. There are four different zones you can hit to take down another player: Stomach, shoulders, back and the laser gun itself.”

“Hear that Sehun, no points for headshots.” Kai chuckles and Sehun rolls his eyes, smiling.

“Can’t blame me for trying either way.” Sehun shrugs.

“You’ll get points depending on which zone you hit. To the player that has been hit, there’s a set amount of time until you can start moving and shooting again.”

“No moving around when you’re dead, kids.” Minseok says.

“You can recharge your laser gun here,” the man shows them by pushing a button on his laser gun. “There will be four rounds, if you guys need more time let me know.”

Kai nods. “Alright, thank you.”

The instructor leaves and the teams then face each other.

“Should we make things interesting,” Chanyeol smirks as he stands in front of his team. Kai raises an eyebrow.

“How?”

“Let’s take a bet.” Chanyeol shrugs.

“Losers buy the winners a meal?” Yixing suggests. He’s slightly leaning against Junmyeon and the other doesn’t seem bothered by it. They all look at him. “I’m just hungry.”

The rest of them laugh.

“Okay, I’ll take that,” Chanyeol nods, looking pleased. “Losers buy dinner.”

Kai smirks, taking his laser gun and tying it to his vest. “Well, get your credit card ready, Park. I expect a fancy dinner.”

Chanyeol scoffs. “We’ll see Kim.” 

They enter the arena. Kai and Chanyeol still trash talking to each other as they get to their respective sides, being followed by their teams.

Jongdae sighs. “Are we sure we want to follow these two?”

“We’re already here, it’s too late.” Minseok says.

“Maybe if we leave now, they won’t notice.” Baekhyun chuckles, wrapping an arm around Jongin who is walking next to them.

“Trust me, they will. Our first mistake was to let them take over.” Jongin shakes his head, pouting slightly.

Baekhyun pats his arm and whispers. “I’m sorry you got sent to Chanyeol’s team, I would volunteer as tribute and change places with you but… I really don’t want to.”

Jongin laughs. “It’s okay, the level of intensity is the same on both sides.” He shrugs, glancing at Kyungsoo who is smiling at him, making Jongin blush slightly.

“Fine then, good luck.” 

Jongin waves and they go their separate ways with their respective team leaders to get ready. A few minutes later a buzzer goes off and the first round starts. They hide as they try to make their way through the arena towards the other team. Minseok and Jongdae walk towards the left side while Kyungsoo and Baekhyun take the right side.

Kai spots the first enemy, aiming and shooting right in the chest. He hears Junmyeon complain and chuckles. They run around towards the middle area. Kai running behind a panel and running into Kyungsoo.

Kai smiles. “Having a good time?” He whispers and Kyungsoo just hums.

Suddenly Kyungsoo pushes Kai to the side, shooting someone behind him. Kai turns around with eyes wide open, to find Yixing sighing and sitting on the floor. 

Kai chuckles. “I owe you my life. My hero.” he puts his hand over his chest, his lips curving into his signature smirk.

Kyungsoo chuckles. “Sure.”

They stare at each other for a while, before Kai quickly pulls his laser gun up, shooting someone over Kyungsoo’s shoulder. Sehun behind them just groans and turns around to leave.

“A life for another life.” Kai says. “I paid my debt.”

Kyungsoo chuckles and shakes his head. “My hero.”

They both smile before they move again. 

The game goes on further sneaking around and hiding around blocks as they soon run into, others of their group, Kyungsoo smiling as he hits Chanyeol in the last spot on his vest, effectively ending that first round and giving their team victory, the next round ends up going to Chanyeol's team, although not after a long arduous game of cat and mouse between Baekhyun trying to take the other out as they both only had one free spot left on their given armor, but finally the victory had gone to the taller man as Baekhyun had hesitated on taking his open shot, losing with a slight groan and glare as the other man smirked victoriously at him. 

"You have quite a good shot." Chanyeol remarks. 

Baekhyun huffs a little, but there's a tinge of a smile on his face. "You're not to bad yourself... but I'll use my aim to take you out next round." he walks past him joining back with his team.  

"The next one is the last right?" Minseok questions slightly pulling at the vest around his shirt. 

Kyungsoo smiles at the interaction, wondering just how much longer the pair would dance around each other before something inevitably pushed them together. 

"Yeah, this would be the last one." Kai confirms. "This one wins it." 

"Then may the best team win. I hope you're ready to buy lunch." Jongin remarks. 

"Oh, looks like Nini has got a bit of fire in his eyes." Jongdae remarks. 

Minseok snorts. "Yeah, even if it is a majority driven by food." 

"Lets start..." Yixing remarks, being able to see some of that competitive fire that was in Jongin's eyes. 

Looks like he wasn't the only one with a motivation for food being the driving for the food. 

The round starts once they're out against each other, not hesitating to take shots, one of which Kyungsoo immediately lands on Sehun much to his disgruntlement if his expression is anything to go by, They continue their little shoot out for a while until Sehun is ultimately taken down. Kyungsoo moved farther into the blacklight lit space, creeping amongst  the objects that were made for a good fighting place. 

This round seems to go by faster than the others, hearing Baekhyun curse out loud as he's finally taken out and then Kyungsoo is aware that he is probably the only one of his team left, that is until he backs into someone immediately whipping his gun around, realizing that it was Kai that he was staring at, the space close enough that they could whisper to each other without much trouble.  

"Is everyone else out?" 

Kai nods. "Yeah, Baekhyun did keep his promise and take Yeol out though." 

Kyungsoo smiles. "I would expect nothing less." He turns his head to look around. "Who's left from Chanyeol's team?" 

"I think..." Kai's words are cut off as his vest turns red, a sign that all of his points had been hit, they both turn to the advisory, seeing Jongin standing away from them with his gun lifted. "How you wound me, brother." Kai glares playfully.

Jongin shrugs, a small smile curving his lips. "All is fair in love in war." 

Kyungsoo hides behind the one block. "So it's just me and you, Jongin?" 

"That's what it looks like." 

Kyungsoo can hear the slight laughter in Jongin's voice as he waits for Kyungsoo to make his move. 

Kyungsoo peeks around the corner of the large block currently hiding him from view, he can see Jongin with his gun still raised, one point on his back still lighting up blue and as he turns one on the center of his chest. In comparison he was doing much better than Kyungsoo, who still only had the one on his shoulder left lighting up after a careless shoot out with Yixing had gone on, although he had won the altercation it cost him one of his points. 

Kyungsoo waits until Jongin turns his back again, taking the moment to silently hit him in the back, Kyungsoo satisfied when the point turns from blue to red, making a noise with it and causing Jongin to immediately whip around in that direction as Kyungsoo moves to another place to hide. slowly stalking around so that he could get the best place to shoot the center of the vest and end it so that they could all get something to eat. 

"You know I've been craving ice cream, I'll have to get some with my lunch." Kyungsoo remarks. 

"You should, get me a cone too while you're buying." 

Kyungsoo laughs. "I never expected you to be this competitive, Jongin... I'm pleasantly surprised." 

Kyungsoo can see the moment that Jongin freezes at the comment, luckily the dark hiding what would be the flush coming up further to his cheeks, even though it could quickly dismissed as a flush from their activity recently, the moment is all Kyungsoo needs popping up and directly hitting the spot in the center of his chest with a victorious smile, even as Jongin slightly pouts at him. 

Kyungsoo hears the others on his team rush over and cheer. 

"Yes, Soo!" Baekhyun throws an arm over his shoulder with a victorious smile. 

Next thing he knows he's being swept up in Kai's arms in a hug, his feet slightly lifting from the ground as he slightly laughs in surprise. 

"You're a star... truly my hero!" Kai remarks with a smaller genuine smile as Kyungsoo’s feet return to the ground. 

Kyungsoo smiles too a little, although still a little stunned as he tries to control the flush that was beginning to stain his cheeks and just not from the activity this time. “It was nothing…” He says as they part a little bit. 

“Let's get out of here and get some food.” Minseok remarks, a bit of a proud smile on his face. “I’m looking forward to some of my little bros actually purchasing me food for once.”

Chanyeol gives the older man a slight look, a pout coming over his face. “But you like treating us, Hyung.” 

Minseok chuckles, throwing over a shoulder over Chanyeol’s. “You’re right… however, that won’t get you out of it this time.” 

Chanyeol sighs. “Alright, alright. What are you guys feeling like?” 

“McDonalds.” Jongdae says immediately. 

Chanyeol blinks looking quite surprised. “ McDonalds ?” 

Baekhyun just laughs a little bit. “Just because we won doesn’t mean we’re going to get the most expensive thing out there… besides it has a pretty nice variety.” 

“And it’s close by…” Kyungsoo adds, he looks at Minseok. “How do you feel about that, hyung?”

Minseok nods. “It wouldn’t hurt to eat it this once… it's been awhile.” He smiles. 

“McDonalds it is then.” Kai says, running a hand through his hair. 

The group leaves shortly after, gathering in the cars and heading straight over to the restaurant, getting a line of tables luckily open for their group. Kyungsoo pulls off the hoodie he’d been wearing as they all waited for the food to be called over, slinging it over on the back of his chair, careful not to hit Kai or Jongin who had taken a seat on either side of him. 

He was happy to find that he hadn’t sweated too much during the activity, as he took a seat glad he hadn’t opted for a turtleneck this time around and instead went with layering to save him from the rough cold winds that Korea had to offer during this time of year. 

“Hot?” 

Kyungsoo turns his head to look at Kai, the other man leaning slightly towards him, brown eyes as dark and playful as they always are. “A little yeah, I was making sure that our victorious battles hadn’t made me sweat through my shirt.”

“Ah, well… don’t worry you smell great, so I think you’re fine.” Kai winks, resting his arm around the back of Kyungsoo’s chair, fingers brushing the top of his shoulders lightly. 

A little heat comes to Kyungsoo’s face again. “Thanks.” he mumbles, thankful that Jongin and the others soon return with the trays of food. 

“The look on their faces when we picked up all of this.” Sehun says, he walks over with Junmyeon with at least two trays filled with food in his hands.

Minseok chuckles from the other side of the table. “Can’t blame them. It looks like you bought food for an army.” They start to set the food down quickly.

“I’m a growing boy, I need tons of food.” Chanyeol says as he sits down. 

“How long are you going to use that excuse?” Junmyeon sets down the trays he had in front of Minseok and Jongdae. 

“As long as I need to.” Is Chanyeol’s simple response as he takes his seat, opening the wrapper of his burger.

There’s silence while they sit down and start to eat. Passing on burgers and sodas and Jongin repeatedly asking where his chicken nuggets are.

“So, your birthday is coming up soon.” Junmyeon says, looking at the twins. 

Sehun is sitting next to him stealing French fries from his plate and Yixing is sitting at the other side of him giving Junmyeon some of his fries with an amused smile.

 “Any plans?” Junmyeon finishes dispensing a packet of ketchup for his fries on the corner of his burger wrapper. 

Kyungsoo, who’s looking down at his food, kind of freezes with his burger halfway to his mouth. He’s surprised anybody other than Baekhyun and Jongdae would know his birthday is coming up soon.

“Not sure.” Kai replies, taking a sip of his soda.

“You’re not sure?” Chanyeol lifts an eyebrow and the other just shrugs.

“When is your birthday?” Baekhyun asks, also looking slightly surprised.

“On the fourteenth.” Jongin answers as he eats the last of his chicken nuggets. He contemplates getting more when he sees Kai reaching over to give him his. 

Jongin smiles brightly.

“Oh! Kyungsoo’s birthday is on the twelfth!” Jongdae sits back, looking between the three. “What a funny coincidence.”

“Or is it a coincidence?” Baekhyun tries to hide his smile behind his food, but it’s noticeable.

Kyungsoo sighs, looking at Baekhyun and Jongdae accusingly. “Guys…”

Baekhyun gives him an innocent look. “What?”

It wasn’t that Kyungsoo despised his birthday, or hated it or anything like that, in fact he appreciated the effort every year his best friends put into making sure he had a good time, as well as the calls from his mother and his brother. 

Jongin’s eyes light up at the new piece of information. This means their birthdays are just two days apart. He also mentally kicks himself for not asking this earlier, there’s not a lot of time left to get him something. “So, that means we almost share a birthday?”

“It sounds like it.” Kyungsoo sighs once again.

Kai eyes Kyungsoo curiously. “Do you have any plans?”

“Not really, at least not outside the usual of just staying in and ordering some food.” Kyungsoo shrugs.

Kai hums, not saying much else, his brain however working at the speed of light. 

Jongin on the other side pouts slightly.

“Soo has never extravagantly celebrated his birthday… but we make sure he has fun.” Baekhyun smiles. 

Jongin locks stares with him, like trying to send a message with his eyes. Baekhyun just chuckles and nods.

“What about you two?” Kyungsoo asks, partially because he wants to take the attention off him and partially because he wants to know. “I’m sure your mother has something planned.”

Kai chuckles. “Ah, yeah… that’s why I said I’m not sure. She gets very creative for our birthday and insists on making it a surprise for us even when we both know she is going to plan something.”

“I’ve gotten good at acting surprised.” Jongin says with a smile.

“And I’m also sure, more than one person in this group knows about it.” Kai narrows his eyes at his friends. “And they’re asking just to see if we know something.”

Minseok, Junmyeon, Chanyeol and Sehun all just look away.

Jongin sighs, shaking his head. “I’m just hoping it’s not something too formal. I don’t feel like dressing up.”

There’s confusion on Baekhyun, Jongdae and Kyungsoo’s faces.

“Formal?” Kyungsoo questions.

“Yeah, you know… Chanyeol’s style.” Kai sighs, leaning back a bit, slightly closer to Kyungsoo. 

Kyungsoo frowns slightly. “Ah, I see. Although Chanyeol’s event was nice, I think the most fun you look like you had was when you sat at the table with us.”

“We wouldn’t mind if it was just us getting together to eat cake.” Jongin mentions with a smile. If he was being honest, walking around in a suit and talking to a bunch of people who he barely knew didn’t feel appealing for his birthday.

“Either way, we’ll have to wait and see what she prepared for us.” Kai says.

Kyungsoo nods along with the rest of them, kind of taking notes of this conversation.

They finish eating their food and appoint Sehun and Jongin as the ones in charge of getting dessert. 

Jongin looks at Kyungsoo. “I guess I owe you ice cream.” He smiles and Kyungsoo does too.

“You do,” Kyungsoo laughs. “I’ll eat whatever they have.”

Jongin nods then, leaving with Sehun to get the desserts for everyone. A while later they’re back with more trays and start giving everyone what they ordered. Jongin gives Kai a sundae with extra chocolate syrup over it and sets an Oreo Mcflurry in front of Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo’s eyes widen a bit. “Jongin… isn’t this too much?”

“Of course not.” Jongin replies, sitting back down with his sundae also covered in extra caramel. He eats it, doing a little happy dance when the caramel melts in his mouth.

The group has an animated chat as they finish eating, throwing away the trash and cleaning up the best they can before heading out. They reach the parking lot between jokes, laughs, and promises of a rematch soon.

They decide Kai will be the one to give Kyungsoo, Baekhyun and Jongdae a ride to the dorm. He quickly opens the door for them and Kyungsoo sighs with a smile.

“Thank you.” He says as he gets in the back seat with Jongdae and Baekhyun. Jongin then sits in the front. 

Once they’re settled, Baekhyun chuckles. “The power Soo holds.” He whispers, instantly getting elbowed by his friend.

The ride to the dorm is comfortable. Baekhyun and Jongdae talk the most about the day’s events and Jongin can’t help but smile, happy that they look like they had fun. They get there sooner than they thought and the trio thanks them for the ride as they get out.

Kai turns slightly to look at Kyungsoo. “I’ll see you in class then.” He holds Kyungsoo’s stare for a moment and the other clears his throat and nods, waving as he gets out.

“Bye Soo.” Kai and Jongin say at the same time, startling each other and exchanging a look.

Kyungsoo blinks, smiles a little, and waves at them again. Jongdae and Baekhyun then pull him towards the dorm building, both also waving at the twins as they leave.

“The power Kyungsoo holds, I tell you.” Baekhyun laughs.

“Shut up.” Kyungsoo accompanies the word with a smile.  

Jongdae wraps an arm around Kyungsoo’s shoulders, his smile ablaze. “My poor Soo.”  

***

The following week comes by quickly when Kyungsoo finds himself at the Kim residence once again, he and Kai having finally gotten around to doing an assignment together after much of his much note induced questioning during said class if he was going to be free sometime that week to do some homework together. Kyungsoo had finally good naturedly caved on telling him that he was free on that Thursday and that they could get together then to do some work. 

Perhaps the small smile that had come over Kai's face when he agreed made it all the more worth it. 

In some ways it reminded him of Jongin's own smile but completely different all at the same time, and he knew that once the other man actually fully smiled he's sure he would totally see the difference then. 

Climbing out of Kai's car into the familiar garage, Kyungsoo grabs his bags from the back of the car, gently working the seat back. Much like Jongin's car, the car's interior was immaculate and smelled well taken care of, although there was no particular scent or anything clinging to the interior. 

Perhaps the sharp spice of the cologne that he had begun to associate with the other Kim brother, a complete contrast to the soft vanilla or lavender that clung to Jongin sometimes. 

"My mother has been asking about you, so I wouldn't be surprised if she tries to steal you away when we walk through the door." Kai mentions, locking the car with his key fob, the sharp beep indicating that the car was indeed locked. 

Kyungsoo smiles. "Oh? Well it'll be good to see her too. I hope she's been well?" 

Kai nods, opening the garage door into the house, stepping aside to let Kyungsoo in as he kicks off his shoes before entering the house. "She has... as busy as ever. Planning events and fundraisers, charities, you name it. My mother probably has her hands in it." Kai takes off his own shoes, setting them down beside Kyungsoo's in the correct rack. 

Kyungsoo nods. "You know, I never asked what your mom does." He adjusts his back pack on his shoulder again as one of the maids takes his coat from him with a smile and a soft greeting, doing the same for Kai.

"Ah, well when she was younger she was a family lawyer. But my father’s career allowed her to retire early, so now she spends her days as a housewife." Kai smiles. "Although don't say I called her that, she hates that term. But like I said, she mostly spends her days planning charities and other events, helping my father some as well." 

"I see..." Kyungsoo nods. 

"Mom, I'm home!" Kai calls as they enter the living room. 

"How was your day, dear?" Mrs. Kim soon rounds the corner with a smile on her face, one that becomes just a little wider as she spots Kyungsoo as she gives her son a hug. "How was your test?" 

Kai shrugs. "Not too bad, at least not as tough as I thought that it was going to be at least." 

She smiles again. "Good." and then her attention turns to Kyungsoo again. "Kyungsoo, dear." 

Kyungsoo smiles, giving a polite bow. "Mrs. Kim," 

She also greets him with a hug, some soft floral scented perfume coming with her as he hugs her back. "I hope you've been well?" 

Kyungsoo nods. "Yes, a little busy with school work, but besides that, I've been well. And you?" 

"I'm well, thank you for asking." 

"We're going upstairs to do some homework." Kai reports. 

His mother nods, smiling at both. "Tell Jongin that his snacks are ready when you go by?" 

"Yes, mom." 

She gives him an affectionate kiss on the cheek and then sends them up the stairs, as promised stopping by Jongin's cracked door, Kai knocking on the frame catching his brother's attention from his desk. The other twin pulling out his head phones and turning towards the door, with a questioning expression. 

"Yes?" He asks.

"Mom says your snacks are ready." 

Jongin nods. "Thank you." 

Kyungsoo peeks around the door then, seeing the familiar soft colored room, but his gaze is mostly focused on Jongin who today was opting for a more simple pair of light colored pair of jeans as well as a simple black long sleeved shirt, his hair left un-styled. "Hey, Jongin." 

Jongin's eyes immediately perk up. "Soo! What are you doing here?" brown eyes briefly flicker over to his brother before going back to Kyungsoo's as he approaches the doorway. "I didn't know you were coming." 

"We're doing homework together for a class." 

"I see..." Jongin trails off as he makes it into the hallway. 

"Speaking of, we better get going." Kai says, an arm resting on Kyungsoo's shoulder, the weight wasn't uncomfortable as the other wasn't putting his full weight down on. "Daylight is burning." 

Jongin nods, not getting another word in edgewise as he's turned around and shuffled over towards the end of the hall towards the doorway that he had originally made a note to stay away from, but now here he was. There was a part of him that was genuinely curious to see how much different the room was from Jongin's own style, he expected it to be as neat and as clean as the other's, save the effort of the staff, and their own personal habits. 

"Well, welcome to my humble abode. Please excuse a little bit of my mess... I've been neglecting straightening up a little lately." Kai says as he pushes the door, entering the room first, revealing a vastly different color scheme. 

But nonetheless it’s still as warm as Jongin's. 

Where there was light colored furniture in Jongin's room, Kai's were a rich dark wood from the desk to the bed frame, every line in the room reminded Kyungsoo of Kai's car. Sleek, clean, but still functional even if it was a little showy, instead of the furniture being littered with open books or having soft blankets covering chairs, the desk in the room was covered in papers, important looking documents. Instead of bookshelves there were many pictures covering the white space on the walls, and the only small shelf on the room seemed to be reserved for records and a few books.  

Kyungsoo takes a couple of steps closer to some of the photos decorating the walls, seeing that along with some landscapes that there were also an abundance of photos including his brother, Sehun, Chanyeol, and the others as well as many with his mother and father decorating the walls. 

"Did you take all of these?" Kyungsoo turns around to Kai who was just standing behind him as if observing him for the moment. 

Kai nods. "Yes..." 

"Wow, they're great." Kyungsoo shrugs the backpack from his shoulders, taking a seat on the floor where Kai had fixed up a little makeshift working space, on the large open space of his floor, sunlight could been seen streaming in through the blinds in the window, giving the larger space an even warmer feeling. 

"Thank you... although I'm no professional. It's just something I do for fun." Kai takes a seat, clearing his throat. 

"Well I'm no expert, but it seems that you have an eye for it on top of you enjoying it." Kyungsoo pulls out his laptop from his backpack. 

"Thanks... the professor says the same thing. He tries to get me to join the photography club every time I turn in an assignment." Kai chuckles a little. 

"Oh? You're taking a class?" 

"Hmhm... it's how I got interested in the first place. I took the entry class my freshman year just to fill one of my requirements outside of major and I haven't looked back since." Kai takes out his own pen and paper and things. 

Kyungsoo smiles a little then. "That's great..." 

"How about you and cooking? How did that come about?" Kai leans a little forwards, closing some of the space between them as he props his head on his hand, one strand of gelled hair slightly falling out of place. 

Kyungsoo blinks. "Well... I didn't come out of the womb cooking if that's what you were thinking." 

Kai chuckles a little at that. "Doesn't seem entirely impossible to me. You cook like you've been doing it since you've been in the womb." 

"My mom would agree... but, ah, it stemmed young. I don't know, I've just always loved the kitchen. Loved watching my mom cook, and loved cooking with her." Kyungsoo shrugs a little. "And like you said, I never looked back." 

Kai nods. "I'm sure there's ambition with that talent, what do you want to do? Travel the world? Work in the greatest restaurants in the world?" 

Kyungsoo adjusts his legs under him. "Some of that... and like every other cook I suppose, open my own restaurant, make a legacy." 

"I see. I'll be your best customer, you'll get sick of seeing me." Kai gives him a wink. 

Kyungsoo's a little startled, but he writes it off with a smile of his own. 'I'll hold you to it then." 

From there they fall into their work, Kyungsoo finding that when Kai was focused on something, despite his usually playful nature, especially during their class, that he meant business. And he was going to make sure that the work he had turned in was nothing but perfection. 

Kyungsoo found himself wondering if it was a trait that he got from his father, his mind briefly wandering to the stern, but yet kind older man, he could see why Kai was primed to be the next heir, or Jongin even, they had the same work ethic about them. 

"I know this is going to sound a bit cliche... but do you enjoy business?" Kyungsoo caps his pen, stretching a bit as he turns his eyes away from the papers below him which were starting to become a little bleary after all the attention that had been given to the sheets of paper. 

Kai looks up, once again his face resting in his hand as he works, giving his profile a beautiful relief, pen twirling between deft fingers on his other hand. "Ah, yes... both Nini and I do actually." He gives out a slight amused huff. "Despite what dramas say, we're not resentful heirs if that's what you're asking." 

Kyungsoo flushes again laughing. "Like I said... stupid question... but you know, in most situations it seems like more often than not people in your position turn out to be miserable." 

Kai snorts a little. "The worst part I would have to say are the boring gatherings, and the other older business men and women trying to matchmake their children with you." he wrinkles his nose in distaste. "Now that part is true unfortunately."

Kyungsoo laughs a little imagining Kai being chased around by one of the people at one of the events he had attended, all in the order to marry their daughter or son. 

"What, why are you laughing?" Kai sits up straight then. 

Kyungsoo shakes his head. "No reason." 

"There is a reason." He playfully narrows his eyes. "I have my ways to make you talk..." Again with the little glint in his eyes, that promised some sort of mischief to get the answer he needed. "And I can be very convincing."  

Just then their little moment is interrupted by a soft knock at the door, before Kai could make any sort of threat to gather the information from him, Jongin's head peeking in through the doorway a moment later. 

"What's up, Jongin?" 

"Mom asked me to bring you all, some snacks." A tray and a few bottles of water, join the rest of his body a few moments later.

"Oh, great... sit it down here." Kai clears a space for Jongin to set down the few little items. 

"Thank you..." Kyungsoo smiles at Jongin, taking a bottle of water and immediately taking a sip from the plastic bottle. 

Jongin smiles back, meeting his eyes, although he doesn't leave right away lingering slightly. 

"Did you want to join us? We're just doing homework." Kyungsoo offers. 

Jongin really perks up then, nodding. "I'll be right back.'' The other man flies out of the room, re-appearing a few moments later and taking a place on the floor where there was open space, putting his couple of notebooks and pens down, now bringing the familiar soft scent of lavender with him, mixing with Kai’s cologne. 

It wasn’t unpleasant. 

All three fell into a comfortable working atmosphere then too for a while longer, until the sun was finally setting beneath the clouds and Kyungsoo felt the need to get up and walk. 

“Do you guys need anything? I’m going to stretch my legs.” Kyungsoo collects some of the bowls and empty glasses as he stands. 

Kai looks up. “I can go with you.” 

Kyungsoo shakes his head. “No, it's alright, I’ve been sitting since we’ve got here. Its okay…” 

Kai sighs a little. “Just some water, please.” 

“The same.” Jongin gives him a smile. 

Kyungsoo nods, heading out of the room, and downstairs to the kitchen where he sees Mrs. Kim talking to their cook about that night's meal, he’s able to spot the prep materials on a seperate counter as he takes the empty bowl to the sink.

“Kyungsoo, how’s it going?” the older woman smiles at him once the chef leaves to finish their prep. 

“Good, I came downstairs to stretch my legs a bit.” He smiles turning to get more water bottles from the fridge. 

“Kyungsoo.” 

“Yes, ma’am?” He turns from the fridge, the door closing behind him with a soft muffled thunk. 

She steps a little closer to him. “I’m sure the others have mentioned it by now, but the boys’ birthday is soon.”

Kyungsoo nods. “Of course… they mentioned that you always plan something.” He smiles. 

Mrs. Kim smiles. “Well, I’m glad they’re looking forward to it…” 

Kyungsoo nods. “I’m sure you do wonderfully if your other events are any indication.” He takes a sip of his water. “Also, they mentioned that they were hoping for something simple this year.” 

Kyungsoo almost wishes that he hadn’t said anything with the way she immediately falls silent. 

“Simpler?” She slightly tilts her head. 

Kyungsoo nods his head. “Yes, I don’t mean to be forward or anything… It's just what they said.” 

“No, no tell me more.” she urges him. 

“Well they mentioned they didn’t want a really formal party… to have to dress up or anything. That they would just be happy eating cake at home.”

She leans against the counter looking thoughtful. “So what do you suggest, dear?” 

“I know that you’ve probably made a lot of plans already, but how about on the day of. It’s just a simple party with friends, family, some food, cake, here… and the bigger event could be held another day if you can.” He plays with his water bottle. “I’d be willing to help if you need it, he adds.” 

Mrs. Kim looks at him for a moment before she breaks into another smile. “Thank you dear… It looks like I have some more planning to do.” She gently rests a hand on his shoulder. “And I would love your help. Now you go on back upstairs before they come looking for you, we’ll talk a little more before you leave.” 

Kyungsoo nods heading back up the stairs with the drinks, Jongin being the first to look up as he enters. 

“Everything okay?”  

“Yeah, your mom just needed help with something in the kitchen.” 

The pair seem happy with the reply taking their waters, keeping the birthday surprise safer for just a little while longer.