Chapter 23: It's my Birthday and I'll share if I want to.

Double Trouble

A/N:

Hiiiii, we're back again, and we totally planned for this chapter to fall at this time, all apart of the master plan!
But yes, a very happy Kaisoo day, as it is the thirteenth for us, and more importantly a very happy birthday to both Kyungsoo and Jongin!

Also, this is super late, Jongin got his solo and it nearly killed Hannah? What's your favorite song off of the album? Mine is Ride or Die (Arya), and Hannah's is Nothing on me.

Also if you're joining us for the first time, we hope you've enjoyed the journey, and if you're not new, thank you for sticking with us, and rest assured that we haven't given up on this story. Its just that things recently have slowed down writing time.

Anyways, we wish you well and a Happy New Year!

See you in the next one!

-Arya and Hannah

...

..

.

..

...

Kyungsoo wakes up with a frown. There’s something bothering him, but he can’t really identify what it is for a moment. His eyes flutter open, staring at the ceiling of his dorm room. His brain is still fuzzy with sleep, but he does recognize the sound of his phone ringing. He sits up, taking his phone from the bedside table and rubbing his eyes as he stares down at the screen with blurry eyes.

He finally manages to hit the answer button.

“Hello?”

“Oh, hi darling! Did I wake you up?” His mother’s voice drifts into his ear.

“It’s fine mom, what’s up?” Kyungsoo reaches out for his glasses, putting them on as he sits up fully wrapped in his comforter.

“Happy birthday, sweetie!” She says with enthusiasm, a smile in her voice, and it’s just then when Kyungsoo realizes what date it is. He blinks for a moment, his recently awakened brain processing the information and then a smile forming on his lips.

“Thank you,” he replies. His mother always insisted on calling first thing in the morning for his birthday.

“What are the plans for today?”

“Same as always, maybe order something out and watch some movies.” Kyungsoo looks around the room, to find Jongdae isn’t there. “Maybe out to get breakfast.”

“Make sure you enjoy it. I already sent you my gift so you should be receiving that soon.” She says and Kyungsoo chuckles . “Are you only celebrating with Baek and Dae or is one of your new friends joining too?” She pauses. “Jongin?”

Kyungsoo sighs with a smile. “I don’t know mom, we didn’t discuss that. It’s probably only going to be Dae, Baek, and I.”

“ Oh I see… well, have fun either way .”

“I will.”

They talk for a while, catching up and his mom wishing him a happy birthday once again before they hang up. Kyungsoo yawns and stretches as he looks through his messages. He has a few from some of his classmates, a few from some hometown friends and family members.

There’s one from Youngmin, wishing him a happy birthday with a few cake emojis. He also mentions that he’ll bake something for him. 

Kyungsoo replies with a smile.

There’s of course one from Kai exactly two minutes past midnight. It’s a meme about him being old, which makes Kyungsoo laugh and below that was another message wishing him happy birthday more seriously below it. There is also a message from Jongin that came in right before his brother’s. He wishes him happiness, a long life and tons of birthday cake, at the end  of the message is a signature bear emoji. 

Kyungsoo is looking through his other messages when his phone rings once again. He answers right away.

“ Happy birthday to you… ” He’s greeted with a singing voice, a little off key and practically yelling in his ear and he can only laugh when he realizes who it is.

“Hyung… isn’t it too early for you to be yelling?” Kyungsoo chuckles at his older brother.

“ It’s never too early to sing happy birthday to my baby brother. ” 

Kyungsoo can almost see that annoying and confident smile on his face. “Of course,” Kyungsoo shakes his head. “Well thanks.”

“Anything for you. What’s the schedule for today?” There’s office noise in the background, phones ringing, keyboards being tapped, faxes and copy machines. He probably just took a few minutes to call in between work.

“Staying in, eating… maybe movies.” Kyungsoo shrugs even though he knows his brother can’t see him.

“Ah, okay then. As long as you’re having fun.” Seungsoo says. “Not too much though, be safe.”

Kyungsoo rolls his eyes. “As if.”

“ Mom also mentioned you have some new friends. Anyone I should be worried about? 

Kyungsoo doesn’t know why he feels his cheeks burning when he says this. “No! They’re just friends.”

“Hmm…” Seungsoo doesn’t say anything for a while, the soft background noise of the office filtering in between the silent space. “I hope they’ve all been informed that if they try anything, I will rearrange their faces.”

Kyungsoo sighs with a groan. “Hyung!”

“ Okay, okay… just making sure .” His brother laughs. “ I have to go kiddo, have fun, love you .”

“I will, thanks. Love you too.” And with this his brother finally hangs up.

Kyungsoo sighs, staring at his phone for a moment, checking the time to see that it was half past nine in the morning. He drags himself into the bathroom to take a shower and brush his teeth once he's done, he walks back into the bedroom.

At that moment the door opens, Jongdae and Baekhyun walk in, the smell of food and coffee reaching Kyungsoo almost instantly. 

Jongdae is the first to notice him and he smiles. "Good morning, Soo!" He walks over, hugging his friend and handing him his coffee. "Happy birthday! We brought some birthday breakfast."

Kyungsoo smiles. "Thank you."

Baekhyun throws himself over Kyungsoo. "Happy birthday, Soo!" Baekhyun kisses Kyungsoo's cheek loudly and squeezes him, making the other shake his head but laugh, nonetheless.

"Okay, okay… thanks," Kyungsoo sits down to eat with a smile. 

"Have any plans other than us today?" Baekhyun asks, stealing a bagel from Jongdae's hand and eating it, gaining a glare from the other man.

"Why would I?" Kyungsoo shrugs.

"I don't know, maybe there's a Kim twin out there planning something." Baekhyun wiggles his eyebrows at him and smiles as he takes a sip of his coffee.

Kyungsoo scoffs. "I don't think so, they all texted me though."

"Boring," Baekhyun sighs.

"That's okay, we don't have to share Soo on his birthday." Jongdae says. "I rented some movies for us to watch."

"Shouldn't we go out? It's his birthday and we do this every year. Maybe this year we could go have some drinks or something." He pinches Kyungsoo's cheek. "He might look like a baby, but he's not getting younger."

Kyungsoo slaps Baekhyun's hand away playfully. "Shut up," he chuckles. "I enjoy staying in, and I don't mind just watching movies with you two."

Baekhyun sighs. "Fine, but don't come crying to me when you're old and have no stories to tell your grandchildren." 

"It's okay, you're already a story on your own. I'm sure I'll have plenty of material to tell them." Kyungsoo laughs and Jongdae does too. 

The rest of the morning and early afternoon goes by like this. The three of them ordering food,  watching movies and laughing at each other. It isn’t until later in the afternoon and a few movies later that they hear a knock on the door. Jongdae and Baekhyun smile at each other.

“Can you get that Soo?” Jongdae says, reaching out for his laptop to pause the movie.

Kyungsoo nods, standing up from the couch and walking towards the door. His eyes widen once he answers the door, in front of him Jongin and Kai. Sehun and Minseok are standing there as well with big smiles on their faces carrying balloons while Jongin has a box in his hands.

“Happy birthday!” the group says.  

“What are you guys doing here?” Kyungsoo blinks, somehow his brain knows why they’re there but he’s still slightly surprised.

“What do you mean? It’s your birthday.” Jongin chuckles.

“Did you really think it would be enough with a text?” Kai raises an eyebrow with his signature smirk decorating his lips. “We don’t do things halfway in the Kim household.”

“Jun-hyung and Chanyeol couldn’t come but they say hi.” Sehun says.

“And so does Yixing.” Jongin adds.

“Ah, I see… Thank you.” Kyungsoo smiles, stepping aside so they can walk in. “You guys didn’t have to.”

“We wanted to.” Minseok smiles at him, putting the balloons down.

Jongin then opens his box to reveal a cake. “A birthday without cake is not a birthday.”

“Did you get it from the place I told you Jonginnie?” Baekhyun asks.

“Wait… you knew?” Kyungsoo frowns. “Weren’t you the one asking to go out today even though you knew they were coming?”

Baekhyun rolls his eyes, wrapping an arm around Kyungsoo’s shoulders. “That was done to throw you off so you wouldn’t suspect a thing. I knew you were going to say no.”

“We know you better than you know yourself.” Jongdae laughs.

"You guys are terrible.” Kyungsoo shakes his head. “What would you have done If I said yes?”

Baekhyun shrugs. “Fake sickness maybe.”

“What am I going to do with you?” Kyungsoo chuckles.

“Love me,” Baekhyun replies.

Jongin sets the cake over the small table, putting the candles on it. The rest of them sit around it.

“I have something else,” Kai says as he pulls out a birthday hat. He smiles at Kyungsoo as he quickly places it over his head. “For the pictures.” Just then Kyungsoo notices Kai has a polaroid camera with him. He takes a quick photo of Kyungsoo, without a warning, smiling at the result.

The rest of the evening goes by like this. They watch another movie together, order more food and sing happy birthday while Kyungsoo smiles at the burning candles. Kai, luckily, gets a good shot of this moment. Kyungsoo then gets ready to blow the candles.

“Make sure to make a wish first.” Jongin says with a smile.

Kyungsoo thinks about it for a moment, nodding and closing his eyes while he makes his wish and ultimately blows the candles.

“Thank you, guys,” Kyungsoo smiles. “Despite being unexpected this was very enjoyable.”

“We would never miss your birthday, hyung.” Sehun says.

“And it’s not over yet.” Kai stands up, leaving the dorm shortly after. Kyungsoo frowns, slightly confused.

The rest of them just smile as they wait for Kai to come back. He steps back in with a bag that he places in the middle of the circle they formed. He opens it and pulls out a gift, giving it to Kyungsoo. His eyes widen as he takes the present, glancing around the room and meeting nothing but excited expressions.

Kyungsoo shakes his head, smiling knowing that it would be futile to say anything else. “You guys...” 

“We all wanted to.” Kai smiles, assuring him.

Kyungsoo sighs, although he is smiling and there’s a hint of anticipation in his eyes as he opens his gifts. From sweaters, and a knitting kit, to a cool looking horror novel Jongin got him and some beautiful flowers along with a gift card from Kai. He thanked them, somehow, he thought his original plan would be more than enough to celebrate his birthday, but with how happy he feels now Kyungsoo couldn’t help to think that maybe some changes wouldn’t be so bad.

They took a few more pictures that Kyungsoo got to keep, talked and laughed some more before everyone had to leave. 

Sehun is the first one to hug Kyungsoo. “Happy birthday, hyung.” he hugs Kyungsoo for a bit longer, before two hands are pulling him back.

“Thank you,” Kyungsoo chuckles. “And thank you again for coming.”

Kai shrugs. “It’s your birthday, we couldn’t just let it pass by.”

“As long as you had fun then it was worth it.” Jongin says. He smiles, getting a smile from Kyungsoo in return.

“I did have fun.”

“Good.”

“Alright kids, let’s get going. Celebration isn’t over anyway so we’ll be having fun in a few days.” Minseok wraps an arm around Kai’s shoulders.

“Ah yes, we’ll see you at whatever it is our mother is preparing.” Kai sighs with a smile. “We promise to act surprised.”

“Well, who knows.” Kyungsoo shrugs. “You might be after all.”

Kai and Jongin exchange a look, but they don’t question it as they say goodbye and finally leave the dorm. Now alone, Baekhyun, Kyungsoo and Jongdae sit on the couch.

“So, did you really have fun?” Baekhyun asks, eyes searching his face in the way that he knew warranted searching for the truth.

“I did… thanks for organizing this.” Kyungsoo leans his head over Baekhyun’s shoulder.

“Oh, it was nothing, just remember you have the best friends in this entire world.” Baekhyun smiles. 

Kyungsoo slightly sticks his tongue out in retaliation, but he could agree that they were the best friends anyone could ask for

***

Kai walks into his brother’s bedroom, sighing as he lies down on the bed. He grabs a book, flipping through the pages, not really paying much attention to the words on the pages while Jongin was sitting on his desk, browsing the web on his laptop.

“When do you think we’ll be able to go downstairs?” Kai asks. 

They had both been forbidden to be near the first floor while their mother prepared everything for their not so surprising birthday party.

Jongin shrugs, not taking his eyes off the computer. “Maybe soon, I don’t know what Moms planning but at least this time we don’t have to wear formal clothes.”

It had been a relief for the pair of them to hear that for the first time in a long while they wouldn’t have to get totally dressed down for their birthday, just being able to pick the nicer more casual clothes from their closet. 

“Don’t be so happy yet… I’m sure she’ll manage to squeeze in a formal event later on.” Kai sighs.

Jongin chuckles. “I’m sure she will.” He finally turns around to face his brother. “What’s the escape route in case Mr. Choi decides to show up with all the girls he wants you to marry?”

Kai groans, sitting up holding one of the pillows from Jongin’s bed. “Through the kitchen, out to the garage and just run away somewhere he can’t find me.” He rubs his forehead. “I can’t even take my car because it’ll make noise.”

“You thought it through huh.” Jongin laughs.

 He’s been lucky the old businessman had his eyes on Kai and not him.

“Of course, no matter the place I always look for emergency exits first,” He sighs, burying his face into the pillow he’s holding.

“He’ll probably give up soon.”

“I hope so. Besides no offense to his daughter, but I have my eyes on someone else…” Kai shrugs.

Jongin blinks, not saying anything and biting on his bottom lip, the mood in the room suddenly shifting a little bit. They hadn’t talked about their ongoing affections ever since Jongin made his stance clear and he wasn’t sure they had to. Maybe it was best to try and avoid any tension between them, especially since this was the first time they were interested in the same person.

Kai and Jongin had always had completely different tastes from each other, especially when it came to dating.

Jongin wonders if he should address it, but glancing at his brother who was now staring at the ceiling, he ultimately decides against it. Jongin’s phone buzzes inside his pocket. He pulls it out to see a message from their mother advising them they could go downstairs. “Everything’s ready.” He stretches as he stands up.

"Awesome." Kai stands up as well, depositing the pillow back on the bed, taking one last look at his reflection in the mirror and fixing his hair a bit before they head out.  

Once they reach the main floor, they're greeted by their mother. She smiles, walking over to hug both of them, squeezing them tight. They don’t say anything, despite her having hugged them all day long. 

“You both look handsome,” she says, kissing their cheeks.

“Thanks mom.” Jongin chuckles and so does Kai.

“I’m sure you’re both curious so follow me.” Mrs. Kim smiles, walking down the hall. They follow, indeed curious as to what she had prepared. It was already a shocker to find the living room was empty as they expected the place to be filled with people from top to bottom.

They walk towards their entertainment center and they can already hear some music playing. Kai frowns confused as their mother opens the doors with a smile.

“Surprise!”

Jongin and Kai blink as they look around, they expected at least thirty people considering their mother had kept everything within one room. However, they were shocked to see just their usual group of friends standing there with smiles on their faces. 

“Wait… are we all too early to the party?” Kai laughs as he walks into the room, greeting his friends.

“No. This is the party…” Sehun says, looking around. “We said ‘surprise’ , didn’t we?”

“You did.” Jongin smiles. 

There’s relief in his eyes as he looks around at everything they did. The room is decorated with balloons, there’s music playing at a reasonable volume and there’s a table filled with food for them. The games were moved to the side of the room so they would have a space to dance and in the middle of the room another table was set with a small sheet cake.

Jongin walked over to see it up close and he was delighted when he noticed one side was brown, decorated with fondant bears and the other side was red, decorated with fondant sports cars. It almost looked like a kid’s birthday party but Jongin enjoyed every part of it, despite that he was just really excited that it was just them.

“Kyungsoo mentioned you wanted to do something simple this year… so that’s what we did.” Mrs. Kim smiles.

Jongin and Kai turned to look at a smiley Kyungsoo.

“When?” Kai asks.

“One of those days I came over to study,” Kyungsoo shrugs.

“And now I also have his number, so I’ll be able to invite him over more often.” Mrs. Kim mentions, making both Kai and Jongin grimace.

“Oh no,” Kai sighs. “I have a bad feeling about that.”

“Me too.” Jongin agrees.

Chanyeol chuckles, wrapping an arm around Kai’s shoulders. “Well, for now we have a dance floor, food, games and amazing company all for you guys so enjoy it.”

Kai smiles. “Thank you,” he turns to his mother, kissing her cheek. “Thank you, mom.”

“You’re welcome darling,” she smiles. “I’ll be back to check on you boys. Also, your father said he’ll be here to cut the cake with you boys.”

“Oh.” Jongin smiles, kissing his mother’s cheek as well. “Okay, thank you.”

“Alright then, let’s have fun boys. Shall we?” Minseok walks over to one of the pool tables. “Who dares to go against me?”

“Well, I don’t know how to play but Jongdae is really good.” Kyungsoo says, pushing his friend towards the pool table.

“Should we do pairs? Kai and I will kick your ,” Chanyeol smirks.

“Uhh… I’ll pass,” Kai says, shrugging Chanyeol’s arm off. 

“Why?” Chanyeol frowns and Kai just shrugs once again. 

“I’ll play with you.” Yixing stands up from where he had been sitting with Junmyeon next to the food table.

“Okay so, Jongdae and me against you two… sure,” Minseok nods, taking one of the cue sticks and standing in front of the table.

Jongdae walks over. “So, I guess I’m your partner.” He smiles.

“I guess you are.” Minseok nods, trying to hide his.   

The rest of the group moves mostly to watch the game. Each of them taking a side to cheer on. Kai instead pulls Kyungsoo to the side.

“Here,” he says, giving Kyungsoo a cue stick. “I’ll teach you how to play.” Kai walks over to the other table and smiles.

“Are you sure?” Kyungsoo glances back at their friends, slightly unsure. 

“Yeah, come on.” Kai grabs one for himself, setting the balls into place. He starts explaining the game to Kyungsoo, making a few quick shots to show him how to position himself and shoot. He then gestures at the table. “Give it a try.”

Kyungsoo’s eyes go from Kai to the table and back to Kai. He sighs, trying to copy what Kai just did, however he doesn’t hit any of the balls.

“It’s okay. You just have to focus.” Kai steps behind him, helping Kyungsoo position the cue correctly. His voice low on Kyungsoo’s ear. “Now try it.”

This time Kyungsoo manages to get a ball down one of the pockets. He smiles turning to face Kai, just now realizing how close they are. “Thank you.” He clears his throat, taking a step to the side. 

Kai returns the smile. “Sure, let’s give it one more shot.”

Meanwhile on the other side of the room, Jongin is watching this interaction with a frown. He doesn’t know if he should walk over or let it be, but at the same time he doesn’t like the burning sensation on his chest.

Suddenly Baekhyun grabs his hand, interrupting his thoughts and stopping any action he was about to make. “Jonginnie, let’s get some snacks.” He pulls Jongin towards the food.

“Bring something for a starving pool player,” Jongdae yells after them. 

Baekhyun waves in signal that he had heard him.

As the time passes by, and a few alcoholic beverages later, games are played mostly in the form of Sehun and Junmyeon playing some Mario Kart, and Jongin and Baekhyun decide to go for the ping pong table. Minseok asked Jongdae to dance in the middle of a game which effectively broke it off without a clear winner and the rest eventually joined. 

“Come on boys, time to eat cake.” Mrs. Kim walked in, followed by Mr. Kim. 

The boys fall into absolute silence when they see him. All then greeting him respectfully. Mr. Kim walks over to Kai and Nini with a smile, patting their cheeks affectionately. 

“Happy Birthday, boys.” he glances at the group. “Have you been enjoying yourselves so far?”

Kai nods. “We have.”

“Let’s sing happy birthday,” Mrs. Kim pulls them towards the cake, placing a few candles on top of it.

Kai raises an eyebrow. “This is our cake?” taking in the design that a six year old him would’ve been over the moon about. 

“Do you like it?” Chanyeol says. He’s trying to hold back his laughter and Kai can see it.

“You did this, didn’t you?” Kai shakes his head, chuckling.

“We have no idea what you’re talking about.” Chanyeol shrugs, but there’s a smile on his lips that gives him away.

The group starts to sing happy birthday to them, as their mother lights up the candles, both Kai and Jongin smiling as they clap along. Suddenly, Kyungsoo walks in with a different cake. It’s a beautiful white cake with chocolate spilling over the sides, and there are exactly twenty-two candles on it. Mrs. Kim quickly takes the other cake to make way for the new one. 

Kai and Jongin’s eyes widen when they see it, both confused as they look between the two cakes.

Baekhyun laughs. “Sehun and Chanyeol got that other cake, but we would never allow you to have such a cake on your birthday.”

Jongdae nods. “Soo made this one.” 

“It was nothing... I did have a bit of help, though.” he explains as the twins’ eyes turn to him. He smiles, taking a step back. “Blow out the candles.” 

Kai and Jongin make a quick wish before blowing the candles. Then they both grab one candle from the other cake and start lighting them up again one by one, with all the curious eyes on them.

“What are you doing?” Jongdae asks, watching the scene over where his chin is resting on Minseok’s shoulder.

“Well, Jongin and I agreed to share our birthday with Soo.” Kai says, squeezing the other candle in between the rest.

“So, we want you to make a wish with us too,” he makes a spot for him in the middle. “Look now there’s twenty-three.”

Kyungsoo shakes his head. “Wouldn’t that be unfair, that’s two wishes?”

“Still, we’re all here now. So, why not?” Kai smiles.

“Because your mother made this for you two.” Kyungsoo gestures to the decorated space.

“Oh, I don’t mind dear.” Mrs. Kim says with a smile.

“Besides, it’s our birthday…” Jongin says. “We can share if we want to, so come on.” he beckons a hand for him to come forward  

Kyungsoo ends up walking over to them, standing in the middle of the two as he watches the candles burn in front of him.

“Make a wish.” Kai says. 

Kyungsoo thinks about it for a moment, making a different wish from the one he had previously made, blowing the candles with a bit of help from Kai and Jongin.

“Now we can eat some cake,” Jongin says. He grabs one of the spatulas they had and cuts the cake right in the middle, making a straight line.

“Jongin, you don’t cut cakes like that!” Sehun yells in the background.

Yixing smiles shaking his head. “It looks really good, Kyungsoo.” 

Jongin blinks, looking down at his cake. “Well, it’s done.”

“Thank you,” Kyungsoo smiles and then gently takes the spatula from Jongin’s hand. “Let me help you.”

They soon find out it’s a half vanilla, half chocolate cake with caramel flavored filling. Kyungsoo laughs when Jongin’s eyes sparkle with the first bite. He hums happily just instantly taking another bite. Kai on the other hand eats his slice, and takes another one right after, and then another after he’s done with the second one.

“You’re going to eat yourself sick,” Kyungsoo mentions, still working on his first slice.

Mrs. Kim nods, taking the plate away from him. “I think so too, stop. You can have more tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow?” Kai whines.

“Yes.” Mrs. Kim then walks away with what’s left of the cake giving it to one of the workers to store in the fridge.

“Why don’t you open your presents instead,” Mr. Kim says, patting Kai’s back.

They go through their presents, opening one at a time each. 

Kai got a new polaroid camera, some new CDs and a fancy pen. He also got a vinyl from an artist he likes and a gift card to get more.

Kyungsoo smiles. “I saw you had a few the other day so I thought it would be fitting.” he explains when he opens the vinyl and the gift card. 

“Thank you.” Kai returns the smile. “I love it.” He opens his last box to find cash in it. He sighs. “Chanyeol…”

“Get yourself something nice man,” Chanyeol pats his shoulder.

“You gave him money?” Baekhyun shakes his head.

“It’s okay because Kai does that too.” Minseok says. “They started this a while ago. I wonder when it will stop.”

“Someday,” Chanyeol chuckles. “Relax, his real gift is in his car. We can check it out later.”

Kai’s eyes shine at the mention of his car.

Meanwhile, Jongin got a few books he had been wanting for a while, some art supplies. Also he got a starry night case for his laptop, which he thanks Junmyeon for because they both share a deep affection towards the painter. Chanyeol also got him stuff for his bike and lastly he pulls out a brown jacket out of a box.

It isn’t until he fully checks it out that he realizes it's really a bear jacket since it has bear ears attached to the hood. 

Jongin gasps. “Wait… who gave me this?” He looks around.

Kyungsoo smiles. “I knew you would like it the moment I saw it.”

“I love it!” Jongin tries it on. He pulls out his phone to open the camera app and look at the bear ears on top of his head. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” Kyungsoo chuckles at his excitement. “I guess you didn’t have to act surprised after all.”

Jongin takes a quick picture, putting the phone back in his pocket. He leans in to kiss Kyungsoo’s cheek quickly, his face blushing just as much as Kyungsoo’s does.

 “Alright, alright, let’s go play some Mario Kart.” Chanyeol says and pulls Kai with him and the rest of the group follows. 

They sit around to watch Sehun and Chanyeol play the first round. Chanyeol dominates the first two laps but towards the end Sehun manages to use a few items and steals that shiny first place. “Oh Sehun!”

Sehun falls over, laughing. “Don’t blame me, blame yourself… you just at Mario Kart Chanyeollie.”

“Hold my controller,” Chanyeol says, giving it to Junmyeon. Next thing they know, the pair are running around the room, Chanyeol yelling at Sehun while the other can’t stop laughing as he runs. Eventually the two of them leave through the side door and the rest can only hear them yelling.

“Aren’t they fools?” Minseok sighs, taking Sehun’s spot to play.

“They are indeed,” Junmyeon nods, as he does the same.

Suddenly they hear them screaming and then a big splash.

Jongdae stands up right away. “What was that?”

“Looks like one of them finally fell into the pool,” Kai chuckles. “Let me make sure that the idiots don’t drown.”

“You have an indoor pool?” Baekhyun asks following him.

“Won’t they catch a cold?” Kyungsoo frowns concerned. “It’s January.”

“It has interior heat, so they’re okay.” Jongin says. He shakes his head just as he hears another splash.

There’s silence before they hear another shout. “You idiots!”

“They got Kai,” Junmyeon laughs.

Baekhyun runs back into the room, sitting next to Kyungsoo. Chanyeol and Sehun follow him in, both soaking wet from head to toe. They spot Jongin sitting to the side and run over to him.

Jongin’s eyes widen. “No, no, no,” he starts getting up, but they get a hold of him before he can escape. “Wait! Chanyeol no! My cellphone is in my pocket!”

Sehun quickly takes it out and drops it over one of the couches before they drag him away.

“Shouldn’t we stop them?” Jongdae looks at Minseok and Junmyeon who seem to not want to do anything.

“Doing something would mean getting into that mess.” Minseok says, eyes following the pair as they carry Jongin out. “I’d rather stay dry.”

They eventually make their way out, to see the four of them yelling, laughing and splashing water at each other. All fully clothed. Sehun gets out of the pool and grabs a towel.

“Are you guys done?” Junmyeon asks, he sighs, taking another towel and placing it over Sehun’s head, rubbing it over his hair slightly. “I didn’t know this was a pool party.”

“Any party can be a pool party if there’s a pool Hyung!” Chanyeol yells.

“Hug me, Hyung. I’m cold.” Sehun opens his arms and takes a step towards him.

Junmyeon looks at him with pure horror. “Stay away from me. No.” choosing to hide behind Yixing, who backs away as well as Sehun approaches.  

“Hug me, Hyung,” Sehun smiles as he approaches the pair. 

“Oh Sehun, I’m not joking.” Junmyeon peers from around Yixing. 

“Hug me, hyung!” Sehun jumps, causing Junmyeon to run, but it still ends in him wrapping his arms around Junmyeon and Yixing, with his still very wet clothes on. He laughs when Junmyeon sighs and Yixing just smiles good naturedly. 

Chanyeol gets out of the pool running towards Minseok. “I want a hug too!”

Minseok decides to try and run, too, but that ends up just as futile as Junmyeon’s attempt to run had.  

Kai smirks, his eyes fixated on Kyungsoo. 

However, before he can do anything Baekhyun is pushing Kyungsoo and Jongdae into the pool, just to make the jump himself. Soon, just like with the snowball fight, the group was laughing, fooling around and teasing each other. All of them ending inside the pool one way or another.

Neither of them worried about their clothes, or how late it was getting or pretty much anything else.

All they cared about was having fun together and giving their friends the best birthday they’ve had in a while.