Chapter 7: Next Stop: Friendship?

Double Trouble

A/N:

Hello, welcome back, it seemed like between this chapter and the last that it was more than just a week! But it went by a little quickly, anyways we hope you're enjoying this start to your weekend and continues to do so!

Enjoy the chapter and we'll see you in the next one!

-Arya and Hannah.

***

“What was the house like?” 

“I can’t believe you went there and didn’t tell us.”  

Kyungsoo had been entertaining these type of questions ever since his pair of friends found out he had been over to the Kim residence. 

“I told you, I’m not saying anything .” Kyungsoo shakes his head at the pair as they transversed their way through campus. 

“Oh, come on, Soo. Just a little bit.” Baekhyun begs, infamous puppy eyes coming out, blondish hair bouncing with him. 

He sighs. “The house was nice, but what else would you expect?” He adjusts his book bag. “Like you said yourself, they’re rich.” 

Baekhyun pouts at the lack of details. “Soo, you know that’s not what I meant.”   

“Well, it’s all both of you are getting.” He shrugs with a smile. 

Both of his friends sulk, giving him half-hearted glares. Kyungsoo continues on unbothered until he spots Jongin and Sehun sitting at a table out on the grass. He decides it would be rude to walk past and not say anything. Normally he would have kept walking, but he liked Jongin, hanging out with him outside of school wasn’t as awkward as he thought it was going to be. 

“Jongin,” He calls as the trio gets closer. 

The business major’s head turns towards his name, smiling once he sees Kyungsoo approaching. 

“Hey!” He straightens his clothes once Kyungsoo is close enough. He feels Sehun pinching his arm slightly, but he ignores him.

“Hi Sehun,” Kyungsoo smiles politely at Jongin’s friend, the other guy nods with a smirk on his face. “What are you guys doing?”

“He’s keeping me company until I have to go.” Sehun shakes Jongin’s arm playfully and Jongin shrugs. 

Baekhyun and Jongdae look at each other at the gesture.

“You should hang out with us when you’re done,” Baekhyun says, he wraps an arm around Kyungsoo who just closes his eyes in annoyance. He takes a deep breath, thinking he should’ve known.

“Do you have something to do later?” Jongdae is the one to speak then. 

Jongin looks between them, not knowing what to say or do. “I don’t but…”

“You should come over to the dorm and watch movies with us… right, Soo?” Jongdae’s eyes bore into him slightly, nudging him with a shoulder.  

Kyungsoo looked at his friend, of course, it would be rude if he said otherwise, however he found out he wasn’t opposed to the idea either. Jongin was nice, he would only have to keep his friends on the line so they wouldn’t scare him away.

“Sure, it’ll be fun.” He finally agrees, turning his gaze back to Jongin. 

“Really?” the word comes from Jongin’s mouth in a surprised tone. 

“Really.” Kyungsoo’s lips curved up at Jongin’s expression, his big eyes looking up at him with a hopeful spark shining in them, it was almost like he was looking for his permission to say yes.

“I thought we would work on the project later,” Jongin says. 

“Let’s forget about it for today.” Kyungsoo smiles, he thought the pair of them could use a break from their usual routine for just a week whenever they met up. 

Jongin seems encouraged by his words, his face lighting up and his lips forming a cute smile once again, one that Kyungsoo couldn’t help to return. “We’ll see you later then?”

“Of course, he will,” Sehun interrupts. “I’ll make sure he texts you when he’s on his way.” Regardless of this Kyungsoo still looked at Jongin for confirmation, the other nodded enthusiastically, making Kyungsoo chuckle.

“Alright then,” He waves at both of them and turns with his friends to keep walking. Baekhyun and Jongdae spend the rest of the way, laughing now excited about the afternoon ahead of them. 

*** 

“I can’t believe you put him on the spot like that.” Kyungsoo says, standing near the microwave waiting for the popcorn to finish. 

“We did what we had to.” Jongdae replies. “Besides, if we hadn’t would you have invited him somewhere else outside of studying.”

He wasn’t exactly opposed to hanging out with Jongin, plus the fact that he had been invited back by his mother was another reason to see Jongin outside of school hours. 

“Besides, he’s interested in you.” Baekhyun stops his scroll of social media to jump into the conversation. 

Kyungsoo looks at his other friend a frown forming and his eyes widening. “Interested?” His voice expresses perfectly the amount of disbelief he’s feeling. Baekhyun rolls his eyes, going back to his phone. 

“Yes Soo, interested,” He scoffs. “I was going to say it’s kind of obvious, but it’s you so it makes sense you haven’t noticed.” 

“Don’t be ridiculous.” He turned back to the microwave, watching as the bag started growing, the popping sound along with the delicious smell started to fill the room. 

“Interested or not, it’s obvious you weren’t going to make a move so we made it for you,” Jongdae’s words managed to get a sigh out of his friend. Kyungsoo waited until the last pop to pour the popcorn in a bowl. 

“I have such great friends,” He just sighs, as the two just continue to smile at them, they just screamed you know you love us.  

A soft knock alerts them of the presence of the new person, Kyungsoo places the bowl on a small table in front of the couch they had set up and went to open the door. Jongin smiled as soon as he saw him, and Kyungsoo smiles back, almost like a reflex.

“Hey, Jongin! I’m glad you made it, come on in.” Kyungsoo steps to the side letting Jongin walk into the dorm. He greeted his friends once again.

“Jongin!” Baekhyun cheers, his phone now forgotten as he gestured him to sit with them. “Sit with us,” He pulls Jongin down in between him and Jongdae, leaving barely any space for Kyungsoo on the corner. 

Jongin didn’t say much as they encased him between their bodies. Kyungsoo was not happy about this, he quickly moved to pull Jongin off the couch, pushing Jongdae next to Baekhyun with his foot and sitting in between them and Jongin. He had to avoid his friends embarrassing him at all costs, especially if Jongin was going to spend the afternoon with them.

Kyungsoo turns to Jongin on the other side of him. “I apologize for them, sometimes they can be a little too excitable for their own good.” He shakes his head, giving a playful sigh. “Sometimes I wonder if they’re actually puppies disguised as humans.”

“Everyone loves puppies.” Baekhyun remarks from the end of the couch. 

“Yeah, and I bet Jongin likes puppies,” Jongdae leans forward to look around his best friend. “Isn’t That right, Jongin?” 

The business student smiles. “Yeah, I do.” 

Jongdae and Baekhyun, smile at Kyungsoo smugly.

Kyungsoo smiles and shakes his head at the duo, pushing himself off of the couch. “I’m getting drinks, what do you want?” 

“Soda please!” Baekhyun quips. 

“Same here.” Jongdae says taking the remote from the table.   

Kyungsoo looks at Jongin, who holds his gaze just a little longer before it finds something else to focus on in the room. 

“Just water, please.” 

The requests in mind, he moves to look for the drinks, not without giving his friends a warning look. He let out a short breath as he got two sodas and two bottles of water. Throwing the sodas at his friends’ expecting hands, he then hands Jongin his bottle before sitting down. 

“Let’s have Jongin pick the movie,” Baekhyun says, scrolling down on the catalog. Jongin widened his eyes and shook his head.

“I’ll watch anything,” He informs. Kyungsoo looks through the list and picks a movie he thinks they will all enjoy. Jongdae leans his head on Baekhyun’s shoulder, the couch was not very big so Kyungsoo was very aware of Jongin being really close to him, a hint of vanilla scent reaching him as he sat back. 

Baekhyun hit play as soon as they were settled. For at least an hour all four of them are focused on the movie playing. Suddenly Kyungsoo feels a weight on one of his shoulders, turning his head he notices Jongin dozing off and slightly leaning towards him. Jongdae and Baekhyun are still concentrated on the movie, with the empty popcorn bowl on Baekhyun’s lap, so Kyungsoo then leans back on the couch, allowing Jongin to fully fall on his shoulder. 

He notices the features Jongin has, from the long lashes, smooth looking skin, and a peaceful expression while he sleeps. He’s surprised he hasn’t woken up to the loud sounds coming from the TV. Kyungsoo realizes he had been staring at him for too long and his eyes go back to the screen, thankful that they decided to turn off the lights for a better cinema experience so he could hide the blush that had taken over. 

He continues watching, finding Jongin’s chest rise and fall regularly next to him relaxing. He focuses on the movie one more time, laughing with his friends on the funny parts. Once the movie is over Kyungsoo softly pats Jongin’s head, trying to wake him up before the other two could see anything and just embarrass both of them. 

It takes a few more pats and gently calling his name before the other stirs. Waking up with a bleary blink his eyes turning to his surroundings, a slight pout on his lips. 

“Have a good nap?” Kyungsoo asks quietly. 

The sound of Kyungsoo’s voice seemed to snap him back into it and he remembered where he was, sitting up almost too haste, his eyes a little wide and a blush spreading across his face. “I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to fall asleep…” on you, the rest of the sentence was left unsaid but Kyungsoo understood. 

“You’re fine Jongin, it happens. I guess you needed it.” Kyungsoo smiles. Trying to ease his worries. “Besides it didn’t bother me.” 

“Really?” He asks it’s not every day that he gets invited to watch movies and he slept through more than half of it.

“Really.” Kyungsoo patted his head once again before leaving the couch. 

Jongdae had the lights and was stretching on his way back to the group.“Should we order food?” He suggests, Kyungsoo nods and Baekhyun also agrees.

“I’m craving pizza,” Baekhyun cheers, then turning to look around Kyungsoo. “Do you like pizza Jongin?” 

Jongin’s eyes widen at the sudden question, he nods slightly.

“Pizza it is.” Jongdae pulled out his phone and looked through his contacts to find the place they usually order from. They have an animated chat while they wait for their food, Jongdae and Baekhyun asking Jongin a million questions about shows he likes, movies, and music. They found to like almost all the same things.

When the pizza has finally arrived, they eat in a comfortable silence. Kyungsoo was kind of surprised his friends would get along with Jongin this well, not because Jongin was a bad person, but because it was weird to have someone that both liked equally.

“So Jongin,” Baekhyun breaks the silence, his mouth still has some food in it and Kyungsoo just wants to force him to swallow before he talks. “Do you have a girlfriend or a boyfriend?” 

Jongin chokes on his pizza, patting his chest to get it to go down and Kyungsoo had to hand him a glass of water. A little piece of pepperoni fell on Jongin’s shirt on the process and Jongdae moved quickly to wipe it off.

“I hope it doesn’t leave a stain,” Jongdae says, rubbing a napkin against the fabric. 

Jongin clears his throat. “I don’t.” His voice is low, and his eyes don’t leave his pizza. There is a soft blush that just increases with Baekhyun’s next question.

“Do you like somebody?” He leans in on the couch closer to Jongin. Kyungsoo decides it’s time to step in, he sits in between them again and glares at Baekhyun.

“Leave him alone Baekhyun, stop harassing him.”

Baekhyun surely protests but asks Jongin something else. Jongin ends up talking about some trips he has made, describing the places while the other three listen attentively.  In return Jongin also asks Baekhyun about his band and seems genuinely interested in his response, a few wows escaping his lips as he listens.

“What about your brother?” Jongin is confused about this question.

“Kai? What about him?”

“How is he really?” Baekhyun is almost leaning over Kyungsoo at this point. “There are a bunch of rumors going around campus, but one never fully believes anything.” 

Kyungsoo frowns at this, he has never heard any rumors of course, but for what he has seen of Kai he’s not really bad, maybe a little bit too outgoing, but that’s not really a defect.

“My brother is…” Jongin thinks about it for a while. “to be honest the best friend I’ve ever had, he may seem difficult at first but once you truly get to know him, he’s actually really cool.”

“We’ll have to invite him too next time then,” Jongdae says, going for another slice. They chat some more for a while and once it is dark outside Jongin finally gathers his stuff to leave.

“It was fun,” Baekhyun says. “Promise me you’ll hang with us more often.” Jongin’s eyes divert towards Kyungsoo for a second before nodding.

“Sure.” He says and then Jongdae is the one to approach him.

“Give me your number, I can’t trust Kyungsoo to invite you.” He hands Jongin his phone and Jongin quickly puts in his number.

“I feel offended.” Kyungsoo mumbles, looking at his bestfriend with a pout. 

“Anyways, thanks for everything.” Jongin is really happy. He normally only gets to hang with his brother and Sehun, being able to spend time with more people, new people, brings good energy to him.

“Wait, are you driving your bike home?” Kyungsoo questions, noticing that is has obviously gotten dark outside, Jongin nods as he picks up his backpack. 

“I’ll be fine,” He gives Kyungsoo a warm smile, heading for the door. 

Kyungsoo doesn’t look very convinced but he lets it go. “Ok, but make sure to text me when you arrive.” He’s not sure he likes the idea of Jongin going around in his bike when it’s dark. 

Jongin nods enthusiastically and waves at Baekhyun and Jongdae, closing the door behind him. The remaining three wait a few seconds after he left.

“ Make sure to text me when you arrive ,” Baekhyun mocks Kyungsoo and Jongdae explodes in laughter. Kyungsoo does not find it funny.

“ Haha .” Kyungsoo deadpans sticking his tongue out at him, grabbing the empty pizza box and throwing it into the trash can.

“I’m going to play cupid with you two.” Kyungsoo glares at Baekhyun, he doesn’t respond because responding would be worse. Baekhyun always finds a way to turn his words against him. “You guys looked cute when he was sleeping on your shoulder.”

“You saw that?” Kyungsoo was surprised.

“I saw that.” Baekhyun gives his friend a square-shaped smile. 

Jongdae and Baekhyun spend the rest of the night making imaginary scenarios where Kyungsoo and Jongin are dating, while Kyungsoo just ignores them as he cleans up. A few moments later he receives a text message, he takes his phone out of his pocket to see it’s from Jongin, informing he has arrived home, with a bear emoji at the bottom.

Kyungsoo doesn’t know why, but he smiles at the bear emoji.