o11 // alteplase

catch him if you can
chapter
11
 

Youngho is the epitome of restlessness right now. It's a given. Today's June 2nd. So far, nothing's out of the ordinary. The officer is still reporting around the clock, and Shim Yonghee is still safe and sound in her office space.

"Hey, calm down. We have two officers now guarding her. It'll be fine. We can mess up the pattern," Doyoung calmed his friend down.

"I'm scared, Doy. What if she's indeed fine, but then there's another victim? What if we misinterpreted something?"

"Look, dude, we've done our best with the minimal number of clues we had. Right now, all we can do is pray."

Youngho nodded, touching the cross pendant hanging on his neck. He's not the most religious guy out there—at least not as religious as his sister or Jay, but he believed in praying. And that's what he's been doing so far. His heart beat paced up and when he saw an incoming call from the officer.

"Yes?"

"Detective Seo. Miss Shim is exiting her office for dinner with her friends in a cafeteria nearby. I told Officer Lim to check the perimeter while I'm keeping an eye on Miss Shim. She agreed on going home straight away after work."

"Thank you so much, Officer Hyun."

"She's taking her medication regularly, but she does seem a bit unenergetic."

"Really? I thought she just met her psychiatrist?"

"I thought so too, Detective. She seems weak and down. She got a nosebleed earlier but she blamed it on the stress."

"Please keep her safe, Officer Hyun."

"I will."

Youngho disconnected the call and sighed.

"What's wrong?" Jaehyun asked.

"Huh? Just received an update about Shim Yonghee. So far there's no threat, it's just she seemed weak and down, probably from stress. She even got a nosebleed from it," Youngho explained.

"She's taking antidepressant, right? What kinds?" Yerim asked.

"I'm not too sure. I'll go ask first." Youngho made a quick call and thanked Officer Hyun before turning back to Yerim.

"Wait, the name's a bit difficult. Flu... Fluox…"

"Fluoxetine?"

"Yes, that!"

"Nosebleed, huh? If I’m not mistaken, common side effects of most antidepressants might include insomnia, restlessness, and anxiety. It might mess around with the cardiovascular system too, but to my knowledge, nothing about nosebleeds," Yerim explained.

"So, is it because of the stress?"

"I can't make a decision without seeing her myself. But it's probable. Stress does… bad things to the body. So, dear brother, don’t get too stressed," Yerim grinned, causing Youngho to chuckle.

"You know, it's dinner time. Let's grab some takeaways and camp at my apartment. I need some distractions," Youngho said as he grabbed his keys.

The three others nodded and followed him, understanding that their team leader is teetering on the edge right now. Twenty minutes later, they're all sprawled on Youngho's living room, eating tangsuyuk.

"He should report back to me in half an hour," Youngho said as he glanced at his phone.

"I believe he will. Let's hope for the best," Jaehyun patted his best friend's back.

Yerim proposed to brew some tea to calm everyone down.

"You know what? I'll go patrol at Han Seungyeon's residence. At least we have officers tailing for Shim Yonghee," Doyoung stood up and grabbed his keys.

"Huh?"

"I know you're tense and worried so I'll go to Han Seungyeon's residence," Doyoung smiled at his team leader.

"Should I go to Shim Yonghee's then?" Jaehyun asked, standing up as well.

"No, no. I need to clear my head. You stay here, please keep Yerim company, I'll go there myself," Youngho said.

"You can go with Detective Kim, I can go with Jaehyun-sshi," Yerim offered.

"Nah, nah. It's okay. You c--"

"It's alright, John. It's better to keep moving. Yerim will be fine with me. Come on, Yerim-sshi, grab your coat, we'll take my car," Jaehyun smiled and patted Youngho's shoulder.

“Like I said, don’t get too stressed. At least not alone, we’ll get stressed with you,” Yerim grinned and put on her coat before following Jaehyun outside.

Despite Youngho's protests, everyone fled the apartment to visit their targets.

___ 

Yerim exited the car and Jaehyun locked the car before going into the apartment.

"I hope everything's fine," Yerim said as she fiddled with the sleeve buttons of her coat.

"The stakes are high if the bodies kept coming. We'll be facing the prosecutors next," Jaehyun said as they entered the elevator.

"Is it a bad thing?"

"We respected the prosecutors, but there's tension you know, between us the detectives with prosecutors. And they tend to take…. full control of investigation. And you of all people should know that your brother doesn't like being bossed around," Jaehyun smiled bitterly.

Yerim nodded understandingly as the elevator opened when they arrived in the 7th floor.

"Unit 708 right?" Jaehyun asked.

Yerim nodded as he followed him out. Jaehyun walked with his long strides and paused when he saw the unit 708 door was opened wide.

"Yerim?"

"Uh, yes?"

"Wait here," he said firmly before jogging inside, jumping in shock when he saw Officer Hyun unconscious on the floor.

The room was not messy in any way. This isn't robbery for sure.

"Officer Hyun!"

Hearing Jaehyun's loud voice, Yerim rushed inside.

"Jaehyun-sshi! What's—Oh my god!" Yerim bent down and quickly knelt beside the body.

"I'll call 119, you can go check on Shim Yonghee," Yerim said to Jaehyun.

She quickly whipped out her phone and put it on loud speaker as she checked on Officer Hyun's body.

"Hello, 119, how may I help you?"

"Hi, I'm Kim Yerim, I'm a forensic doctor and I found someone unconscious."

"Alright. And where are you right now, Ms. Kim?"

"I'm in Joria Apartment Complex, seventh floor, unit 708. It's only a few minutes’ drive from Seoul Yongdeungpo Police Station."

"Alright, we'll send help there. Meanwhile, I'm going to ask you some questions regarding the patient. Have you checked on the patient Ms. Kim?"

"Yes. He’s a police officer, age around 30 years old. Airway is free from obstructions; the patient is breathing. Pulse is slow but steady. He was supposed to be on guard, and it's possible he was made unconscious. Let me check on his head if there's any trauma. There is no blood trace," Yerim reported before moving to the head to lift it up carefully.

"We're sending an ambulance there. It will arrive in less than 10 minutes. Meanwhile. please keep reporting ma'am."

"No trace of blunt trauma, probably just contusion from falling. I think he was made unconscious with anesthesia. I've put him on a recovery position to prevent obstruction."

"Okay. Stay with us and thank you so much for your cooperation ma'am."

___

Jaehyun's first instinct was to check the bedroom. It was vacant but the bed was kind of messy as if someone just laid there.

"Miss Shim?" He called out as he opened the bathroom. His breath hitched when he saw some smeared blood on the white tiles. There's also a razor with blood traces on it. He didn't bring any gloves so he refrained from touching it. He took out his phone and quickly called Doyoung. The team leader, Youngho, was able to check Shim Yonghee's coordinates so they must move quickly. Maybe they're lucky enough to find her whereabouts.

 "Hello? Doyoung?"

"Oh, Jay! What's up? Han Seungyeon is fine and she just went to her relative's house just to be safe. We're heading back to Johnny's place now. How's Shim? Youngho received a text from Officer Hyun 10 minutes ago saying Shim Yonghee is asleep now."

"How about the coordinates?"

"It's in her apartment. Why?"

"Doyoung… Officer Hyun is unconscious and Shim Yonghee is missing. I'm going to call CSI so please come here fast."

___ 

Youngho ran as fast as he could out of his car when he saw an ambulance drove past the lobby and his sister standing in front of the entrance.

"Kate!"

"Oh, oppa! Officer Hyun is alright, he was not injured. He was made unconscious. No syringe stab marks or signs of injuries, so he was probably chloroformed."

"Where's Jay?"

"Upstairs with CSI. The Lee twins just came with the CSI team."

Doyoung jogged to the entrance and watched Yerim and Youngho's concerned faces. "Doyoung, can you go to the hospital where Officer Hyun is? Try to get his statements after he woke up. Yerim, have you checked the apartment?" Youngho asked.

"No, I was staying with Officer Hyun until the EMS dispatchers came. Let's go upstairs. I have the whole apartment memorized like the back of my hand. I'll go see if something has changed."

Doyoung nodded before jogging back to his car to go to the nearest hospital. Youngho followed Yerim up to Shim Yonghee's unit, finding the front door already plastered with police lines. Jaehyun is conversing with Donghyuk, one of the Lee Twins.

"Jay!"

"Oh, John. Come here." Jaehyun showed a plastic bag that has a razor in it.

"This is the murder weapon?"

"Could be. The CSI will bring it back to the precinct to see if the killer left any fingerprints."

"Which is quite unlikely. The killer has been very meticulous," Donghyuk said before leaving.

"Can I go inside? I know how the apartment looks normally," Yerim piped up.

"Let me show you something," Jaehyun said as he pulled Yerim into the bedroom.

"The bed is quite messy," Yerim noted.

"She must've been in her bed at some time. But check the bathroom," Jaehyun said.

Yerim paused when he saw the smeared blood on the floor.

"This is exactly how it looks when I first saw it," Jaehyun said as he showed her a picture on his phone.

"It's probably blood drippings that were wiped. Are there any used tissues?"

"There were none on the bin."

Yerim nodded and then she spotted a fallen bottle near the bathtub and some drugs falling out of it.

"Her medicine," Yerim mused as she approached it.

"Gloves," Jaehyun offered her a pair and took a picture of it while Yerim put on her gloves. She picked up a tablet and examined it closely.

"Shim Yonghee was consuming Fluoxetine, right?"

"I forgot the name of the drug, but I think so. I mean, you're the one with the great memory."

Yerim shook her head, "This isn't fluoxetine. This is a whole another drug. The bottle does say Fluoxetine. But it's clearly not Fluoxetine. I know how it looks."

"Let me call Doyoung to ask Officer Hyun once he wakes up, where Shim Yonghee bought his medicine. Feel free to look around," Jaehyun patted her shoulder.

Yerim nodded as she inspected the bathroom. There was nothing unusual. She knew for sure that Shim Yonghee had depression. Jaehyun found used razor with blood on it. There's an opened bottle of drugs on the floor. There are a lot of possibilities. She disposed her gloves and went outside to see her brother and Jaehyun conversing with the security guards.

"CCTV?" She asked when she noticed them standing underneath it.

"Tampered. Seems like our killer hacked into the CCTV system. Officer Lee Jeno couldn't access the footage. He's still trying to regain access," Jaehyun sighed.

"The apartment's CCTV? Not ours," Yerim asked again.

"They're still checking on it. There's no witness in the lobby since the guard was on shift exchange," Youngho piped in.

"Officer Lim? Officer Hyun had a partner, right?"

"Yes. But Officer Lim was patrolling outside the apartment when it happened. He's talking with the guards right now."

"Let's ask for a copy of the CCTV footages and then watch it in the precinct. We could also discuss everything there while waiting for Doyoung," Jaehyun said in resolution.

"Oh, and oppa? You said Shim Yonghee coordinates on the GPS app showed that she's here, right? Where's her cellphone?" Yerim asked.

"Here. It was found on the couch. The killer must've left it here to throw us off guard," Youngho sighed.

"Wait… but Officer Hyun texted you right? Was it him or the killer?"

"I'll call Doyoung to check on Officer Hyun. For now, let's get back to the precinct."

___

"Here. Freshen up first," Yerim said as she put down two cups of iced americano in front of the two brooding detectives. She set down the remaining two for her and Detective Kim who's still in the hospital. She sat down on the chair next to Jaehyun and opened her cellphone, in need to do a little research while the two detectives peered over CCTV footages in their laptops. She opened the browser and looked up on Fluoxetine. She has never been depressed but a friend of her has and she had seen Fluoxetine before. And it was not anything like the one she saw on Shim Yonghee's bathroom.

"Jaehyun-sshi…"

"Hmm?"

Yerim showed her screen to him, "I was right. It wasn't Fluoxetine. Someone swapped her medications," she said.

"What? Gosh. Let's ask the CSI if they have identified the medicine," Jaehyun grumbled as he fished his phone to give one of the Lee Twins a ring.

"Hello? Oh, Minhyung. Hey, I was just wondering if the CSI had anything discovered yet," Jaehyun said as he put the phone on loud speaker.

"Eo, Detective Jung. We checked on the razor. It has only Shim Yonghee's fingerprints. The blood also has her DNA. There's not a single trace of any other person aside from herself."

"That's weird. Was she harming herself?" Youngho raised his brows.

"How about the medicine Officer Lee? Have you checked on them? I'm pretty sure they're not Fluoxetine," Yerim joined in.

"Is this Dr. Kim? Well, you're right, Dr. Kim. According to our database it's a type of cardiovascular drugs. Wait what's the name again, Donghyuk? Oh, Alteplase. That's it." Yerim frowned.

"Alteplase? That's used for myocardial infarction! Shim Yonghee is 30 years old female, which is quite unlikely to have myocardial infarction. She's not obese as well!"

The two detectives turned to her in confusion.

"Someone swapped the drugs. But who?"

Yerim closed her eyes and think. Alteplase?

"Well, that's one revelation. If I'm not needed anymore, I'll get going first. There's still some evidence I have to check."

The group jolted when Minhyung talked from the phone.

"O-oh, yeah. Thanks a lot, Minhyung," Jaehyun said before ending the call.

"What's the side effect of alteplase?" Youngho asked.

"Alteplase is used to break up blood clots to prevent emboli inside the heart's vessels. Too much alteplase equals increased bleeding risk."

"Wait… there were blood on the floor!" Yerim balked, "Will she be bled to death? Oh my god. But wait. The killer has been consistent so far. He always made the MO seemed like suicide. Drug overdose and then consequence. Does that mean…."

"She cuts herself?" Jaehyun raised a brow.

"It's possible since she's depressed. When people are in a highly depressed mood, how do I explain it, hmm? The neurotransmitter in their brain got rogue, and it could lead them to doing harmful things because they're not in the right state of mind. Cutting and bloodletting are forms of self-harm that were quite popular," Yerim grimaced.

"We need Officer Hyun to wake up soon. There are too many questions to ask. We have less than three days before Shim Yonghee's body is sent to this precinct," Youngho groaned.

"Doyoung hasn't called us yet. We need to keep moving. Shall we go to the hospital?" Jaehyun offered.

"Yes, please. I'm getting antsy here not doing anything," Younghoo readily agreed as he stood up and grabbed his coat.

Jaehyun drove to the hospital as fast as he could and they all rushed to the ER as Jaehyun gave his keys to the valet. They spotted Detective Kim Doyoung sitting next to the hospital bed where Officer Hyun is sleeping at.

"Hey, guys. Why are you all here?" He stood up immediately.

"Officer Hyun is a crucial witness to Shim Yonghee's disappearance and probable murder. We need him to wake up soon," Youngho said.

"Who was the doctor that handled him? How's he?" Yerim asked.

"That woman near the reception desk was the one who took care of him. She said that he was indeed sedated. Dr. Kim was right. It was chloroform," Doyoung nodded.

"I'll go talk to her," Yerim nodded. She walked towards the reception desk and gasped when she noticed the doctor Detective Kim Doyoung was talking about.

"Kim Yerim?"

"Kang Seulgi sunbaenim!" Yerim bowed, noticing her senior from medical school and also her anatomy tutor back then.

"Wow, I haven't seen you in years. How are you? You're not sick right?" The woman smiled.

"I missed you too, sunbae. Actually, I wasn't sick. I worked as a forensic specialist for Yongdeungpo precinct now. We're working on a murder case and one of our officers is…. here. the one you treated."

"Oh, Patient Hyun Jinwoo?"

"Yes. Him. He was sedated?"

"Yes. Chloroform. The amount is pretty big, I guess. He's still out. We can't flush chloroform out of someone's system so we can only wait until he wakes up. It will probably take another hour or so and he'll be extremely drowsy and slightly disoriented when he wakes up, so I don't recommend questioning him right away."

Yerim nodded, "I'll tell the detectives that. It's nice to see you again, sunbae. You used to be my tutor and my mentor."

"And it's great to see you venturing into your line of job, Yerim. You were a bright kid and you had so many potentials in you. Glad you take this path. Now, I'm sorry but I think I have to go. New patient. Nice to see you again, Rim."

"Likewise, sunbae," Yerim smiled as the older woman left.

Yerim trotted back to the three detectives. "Officer Hyun was heavily sedated. Like he was about to go into surgery. He won't wake up in an hour or so and he won't be able to be questioned right after he wakes up. His mind will be in a total fog," Yerim reported.

"God. What are we supposed to do then?"

"Rest. I think that's our best move. We have three—wait, it's nearly midnight now. Well then, two days before Shim Yonghee's body showed up. We're going to pull an awful lot of all-nighter. So, we should rest while we could," Yerim announced.

"But, Kate. Listen. We—"

"I know, oppa. But there's nothing that we can do now besides waiting for reports on the CCTV footages and waiting for Officer Hyun to wake up and regain consciousness. All we can do is wait," Yerim argued.

"She's right. Or, you know what? Let's take shifts. Let's sleep an hour each."

"An hour and a half. You guys need rest," Yerim negotiated.

"Fine with me. I could use some sleep. Or make it two hours. But two people sleep at the same time," Doyoung added.

"I'm on board. John, you sleep first. Rest your mind, you're going to squeeze your brain out tomorrow," Jaehyun nodded.

"And you?"

"I'm going to go back home to fetch some clothes. Doy, I'll bring you some change. You left some of your clothes in my place last month," Jaehyun said as he stood up.

"Can I come with you? I'll go home and change, and bring some clothes for Johnny oppa," Yerim stood up as well.

"That sounds like a solid plan," Doyoung said.

"So now what? I sleep?" Youngho raised his brows.

"Yes. And I'll guard. You go to sleep first," Doyoung urged his friend. 

 
notes

hi! i'm back! it's a pretty long chapter and so many things happened teeheee.

and also, a cameo by seulgi since she's my red velvet bias alongside yerim!

hope everyone has a nice day/week/month despite this awful covid-19 pandemic, and hope this tough time will pass soon.

love, btfg <3