Chapter 6

Exodauntia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You wake up shivering.

 

Jongdae’s arm that was gently wrapped around your waist loosens as he pulls away, mumbling, “Sorry.”

“I’m fine.” You answer with a yawn, raising your arms above your head to stretch. “Were you up all night?”

He gives you a grin as he nods. “Yep. It was fun listening to you snore though.”

You pout, hitting his arm as he laughs, jumping off the bed to avoid your soft punches. There’s a knock at the door, making the both of you freeze as Jongin pokes his head in. “Kyungsoo sent us a message.” He hands Jongdae a blue iris, a folded note wrapped around the stem.

Jongdae reads over the note, nodding. “Good. We’ll think of a plan tonight and find a way into the castle.”

Jongin nods before he leaves the room, probably heading to tell Minseok. You meet Jongdae’s eyes and he smiles, touching your hand gently. “You okay?”

“A little nervous I guess.” You answer honestly, looking down sheepishly. “I mean, I spoke without thinking and I have no idea how to plan a battle so—”

He laces his cold fingers with yours and gives you a squeeze. It’s cooling and gives you a sense of calm. “You’ll be fine. We’ll also be helping, so it’s not like you’re pressured or anything. In fact, you didn’t even need to help.” He smiles brightly. “Thank you for doing that.”

“You’re welcome.” You smile back at him. He squeezes you again, unsaid: thank you for everything.

You squeeze him back before you let go, unsaid: you’re always welcome, Jongdae.

Jongdae stretches his arms over his head. “Should we go out and enjoy the sun for a bit?”

You laugh at the joke. “Right. Because you’re totally not a vampire who hates the sun.”

“I mean,” he shrugs, a silly grin on his face. “I don’t sparkle—sorry to disappoint—but I can go out…just not for very long.”

You smile, holding out your hand. “Like old times?”

He chuckles softly, taking your hand. “Just like old times.”

 

 

Jongdae leads you to a open spot in the forest where the sun is able to filter through, dappling the soft green grass. It’s been a while since you’ve been out so carefree like this. You used to love wandering around, smelling the air of nature and feeling the sun kiss your skin.

“Do you miss the sun?” You ask curiously as you tilt your head back at Jongdae who is staying in the shadows while you bask in the warm sun.

“Honestly?” He smiles wistfully. “I don’t really remember how it feels. I only remember because of that short amount of time I was ‘human’ with you. It feels nice.” He looks up, watching the leaves sway with the breeze. “I do miss it a bit.”

Your eyes soften on him as you walk away from the sunlight, into his shadows. You grab his hand, letting the iciness pierce your skin. “You’re always so cold.”

He hums in reply, eyes trained on your hand holding his. His dark eyes flash scarlet for a brief second, making you wonder if you even saw it in the first place. “You’re warm.”

You let out a soft laugh, running your thumb over his cold knuckles. “Of course. I’m human.”

His face falls, sadness pooling in his eyes. “And I’m not.”

You blink, heart lurching. “I didn’t mean it like that.”

“I know.” He whispers softly, the corners of his lips lifting slightly but it can’t fool you. He’s pained, hurt.

“I’m sorry.” You immediately say, taking a step towards him tentatively. “I really didn’t mean it.”

“I said I know.” He says, eyes staring into yours. They drop to your lips for a second, and you realize how close you’ve gotten, making you flush. His eyes slowly turn a crimson color, swirling like…like…

 

 

Blood.

 

 

You gulp, quickly turning around and pretending to go back to the sunlight, stretching. You still feel your heart beating, and you’re sure he can hear it. You have no idea what got over you—it’s strange. You’ve never felt like that before.

“I’m going to back now.” Jongdae says, almost dejectedly, and you open your mouth to stop him only to be cut off. “I’ve had too much ‘fresh air.’ I’m really not a morning kind of guy.”

You manage a smile, nodding. His eyes linger, almost sadly, before he turns to leave.

 

“So what I’ve heard is true.” A man slightly shorter than the rest says flatly, power radiating off of him. “You’ve allowed a human to be by your side, Prince.”

“Kyungsoo,” Jongdae sighs as he clasps his hands on the table. “She’ll be able to help us.”

“How so?” A taller man raises a brow, looking at you curiously. “I don’t believe she’s been in battle before.”

“No.” Jongdae answers. “But she’s smart.”

The taller man scoffs rudely, making you bite the inside of your cheeks painfully, glaring at him.

“Sehun,” Chanyeol gives the man a warning gla

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter