Chapter 5

Exodauntia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I don’t think this is a good idea.” Jongin immediately says after basically being bullied into teleporting Minseok, Jongdae and you.

“They’re our only hope.” Jongdae reminds him as he makes his way up the doorsteps to a quaint looking wooden cottage that’s located much, much deeper into the forest. Jongdae raps his knuckles against the door, waiting a few moments. Shuffling and voices can clearly be heard inside, before a set of footsteps grows louder, the door swinging open.

The person that greets the four of you is tall, with ears curiously larger than most people, almost like an elf’s. He’s handsome, with big eyes and dark hair that is swept up sideways.

“…Jongdae?” The man speaks softly, surprised at his guests. The man’s eyes sweeps over you and then towards Jongin and Minseok, eyes narrowing on Jongin slightly.

“Can we come in?” Jongin asks, tone annoyed. Chanyeol sighs before he opens the door to let you four in.

Once you’ve entered and the man closed the door, he speaks stiffly. “What brings the three princes to my door?” His eyes linger on you, an unasked question: and who is she?

“We’ve come to ask for your help, Chanyeol.” Jongdae says, his voice laced with helplessness, yet authority. “I’m sure you’re aware that you are one of the only surviving Vampires of Exodauntia left.”

“I’m aware.” Chanyeol answers with pursed lips, taking a seat at the wooden dining table which Jongdae quickly follows. You sit down as well after Minseok and Jongin. “I’m very aware of that, Prince. And I’m very wary because of that.”

Jongdae exhales slowly, his sliding closed for a moment. “You are unwilling to help.”

“Prince,” Chanyeol shakes his head. “Jongdae. We’ve known each other since we were human children. I would want nothing more than to help you and take back my home. But—” He scrunches his face, shaking his head again in defeat. “Too many have died. So what we’re vampires? We still die—we’re not invincible. I was given another chance at life, and I don’t want to waste it.”

“I understand, but—” Jongdae starts, eyes pleading, before two other men bursts into the room.

“We will not offer our help.” The slightly shorter male announces loudly, his golden brown hair slightly messy as if he just got out of bed.

“Baekhyun.” Jongdae breathes, standing to greet the male. “Please, listen to me—”

“Please leave.” The man next to Baekhyun says softly, almost a whisper. His hand gestures at the door.

“Yixing—” Jongdae whimpers, looking close to tears. There’s a moment of silence as Jongdae, Jongin and Minseok stares at Chanyeol, Baekhyun and Yixing, hoping something would change.

Finally, Jongdae sighs. “We don’t have any options left, and I don’t want our lives to be lived in regret. To always be in hiding in this godforsaken forest.” He looks at each of them. “I sincerely hope you reconsider.” He turns, heading towards the door. Jongin and Minseok says nothing as they follow.

 

“Wait.” You speak up, voice no more than a whisper. Hardly anyone hears you, so you speak up louder, almost yelling. “Wait!”

 

All eyes turn on you, Jongdae, Jongin and Minseok pausing at the doorway. You turn to face Chanyeol, Baekhyun and Yixing who looks taken aback by your suddenly dominating presence.

“You refuse to help because you think we’re outnumbered, right?” You ask curtly, getting straight to the point.

Chanyeol purses his lips tightly, but says nothing.

“You’re afraid we might be going on a suicide mission. Well,” you breathe out. “It might be. War never guarantees you’ll come out alive. But…” You turn to eye the Kim brothers as well. “We might not need a great number of people. We might not need a lot of weapons or powers. We can win by outsmarting them.”

“Outsmarting?” Baekhyun laughs loudly. “The enemy has lived for as long as we have! Whatever we know, they know. They have more people than us, more weapons, and they’ve won us countless times before.” He makes his way towards you, looking down at you with a mocking smile. “How, exactly,” he breathes out slowly, “are we going to outsmart them?”

You blink, but you don’t back down. Instead, you stand a little taller, staring at him head on. “You said it—we’ve lost to them so many times. They’ll surely underestimate us. They’ll think we’re a joke. They won’t take us seriously.” You catch Jongdae’s approving gaze and feel confidence swell in you. “That’s how we outsmart them.”

“Who is she again?” Yixing asks with a frown, eyeing you suspiciously. “She’s human.”

“She’s a friend of ours.” Jongdae speaks up, almost defensively as he makes his way to your side. “And I think she’s got a point.”

Chanyeol goes silent, watching you with curious narrowed eyes. “Maybe.”

“Is that a yes?” Jongin blurts in surprise, eyes wide as he stares at the three. “Wow, I never thought we’d get you to agree.”

“I said maybe.” Chanyeol clarifies, gla

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter