Chapter 2

Exodauntia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You’re freaking out. In the middle of a major panic attack. Sorry? Why is he saying sorry?

“No, no, no. Chen, please don’t die on me. Don’t sleep.” Your arms tightens around his freezing body as a sob makes its way to your throat. No, you don’t want to be left alone in this dark, cold place. You don’t want to roam the forest by yourself and die here.

No. You’re going to make it out. Both of you will make it out.

“Chen?” You ask, your voice ringing in the dark. You jump at a flash of lightning, thunder roaring loudly a few moments later. It seems like it’s going to start raining soon. Chen doesn’t answer, his breathing barely audible now. “Chen? Don’t scare me. Chen?”

You shake him, but he doesn’t move. You lean in, trying to hear his breathing, placing your hand on his chest to feel his pulse.

 

Your blood runs cold to find that there is none.

 

You almost cry. Tears sting your eyes as a whole other wave of panic hits you. He’s dead? No, he can’t be.

“Chen,” you sob, shaking his arm and digging your nails into his skin in hopes that pain might bring him to. “Chen, no. Open your eyes, please! Talk to me.” You press your forehead against his forearm, another flash of lightning brightening the hole for a second. “Don’t leave me.”

 

“Are you okay?”

 

You jump at a foreign voice, your head snapping up to see a man standing at the entrance of the opening, the leaves that previously kept the place hidden are now gone.

Relief immediately washes over you, tears falling down your cheeks at the thought of help. “He—He…My friend, I think he’s sick. His heart…stopped.” You sob harder, trying to wipe away your hot tears. “Please help him, please.”

The man’s eyes flickers over the Chen, his eyes darkening. “Don’t worry, he’s not dead. Come out first.”

He holds his hand for you, and you take it as he helps you out. You sniff as you watch the man pull Chen out carefully, whimpering as you see how pale he’s become.

The man lays Chen on the grass floor, inspecting him some more. You stand there anxiously, feeling time tick away.

“Can you help him?” You whisper, so quiet you’re not sure if he heard you. But he nods, turning towards you with a comforting smile.

“I think you should look away though.” He says. “Just for a few minutes.”

Confused, you turn your body so your back is facing them. You hear shuffling immediately after.

Why doesn’t he want me to see?

Feeling like something’s wrong, you peak over your shoulder and let out an inaudible gasp at the sight. Chen has his face buried in the man’s shoulder, blood seeping out.

 

Is…Is Chen biting that man?

 

You watch in horror as Chen retracts, his breathing heavy and lips covered in red. The man leans back, seemingly unaffected by the fact that he was just bitten. He looks sad when he sighs and turn towards you. “I thought I told you not to look.”

“I—” Your knees buckle and you want to run, but you find that you no longer have the strength. “What just happened?”

“I’m sorry.” Chen is the one to speak, his voice quiet and soft. “I shouldn’t have stayed with you…I shouldn’t have dragged you here. I’m sorry.”

“I don’t understand.” You whisper, disbelief washing over you. Strangely though, you find that you’re not scared. It’s as if you don’t trust what you just saw.

Chen lets out a soft sigh, his dark eyes trained on you. “Let me reintroduce myself. My name is Kim Jongdae. This is my younger brother, Kim Jongin.”

“B-Brothers?” You look between the two men, utterly confused. “Kim Jongdae? W-What’s Chen then?”

“Chen,” he starts, a tight smile on his lips. “Is a name I use in emergencies. To keep my identity hidden.”

“The reason why he was amnesic for the past year is self-protection. It’s a natural defense mechanism we have, I guess.” Jongin explains.

Seeing your perplexed face, Jongdae lets out a small, tight smile, exhaling. “Do you know about Exodauntia?”

You your head at the sudden change of topic. “Exodauntia? You mean the ruined kingdom?”

He bobs his head ‘yes.’ “Do you know its story?”

“Of course. It’s a story that almost everyone around here knows.” You furrow your brows, your lips tugging into a frown. “Why?”

His smile grows wider, almost ominous. “Well, Jongin and I…we’re two of the four princes that once ruled Exodauntia.”

 

There’s a pause.

 

You try to register his words.

 

Him…one of the princes of Exodauntia…?

 

You laugh. “Wha—That’s not possible! Do you know how many years its been since  Exodauntia fell to ruins? 500 years! You can’t possible still be alive if you really were the prince…”

Your light tone fades when he see the look on their faces. A knowing look.

Jongdae’s smile grows ever wider, his usually dark eyes now glowing an inhumane red. His fangs peak out from his curled lips.

You shiver. “N-No way…Y-You’re a—”

“Vampire.” He nods. “Yes.”

 

You scream.

 

You scramble from where you were sitting and immediately run, run as far away as you can. You don’t care where you’re going. You don’t care if you get even more lost in the forest. You want to get away from them, from those monsters.

Your lungs burn again, lightning snaking through the dark clouds above, thunder rumbling and shaking the earth. You don’t sense anyone following you, and you’re certain you ran far enough.

But then in a flash, Jongin is in front of you again, his hands tight around your wrist. You scream at the top of your lungs, begging for someone, anyone to save you.

Jongdae appears behind you and his hand comes swiftly to cover your mouth, his skin cold as ice against you.

“Sh…” His b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter