Chapter 4

Exodauntia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Snow falls harder the deeper you go into the forest, to the point it seems to turn into a blizzard. You hiss as the ice slaps against your cheeks as you try to keep them from entering your eyes. Your eyes are already watering at the biting cold.

You want to ask how much further. Your limbs are starting to lose their feeling and you feel as if you might collapse into the snow at any moment. But Jongdae is right next to you, one hand holding your arm to make sure you’re still there. You keep your mouth shut, because you don’t want to be a bigger burden than you already have.

“Hyung…Jongdae-hyung, look!” Jongin cries out in the screaming wind, gesturing wildly at you and Jongdae as he points into the center of the blizzard.

You squint your eyes to see what he’s looking at, but Jongdae seems to see it before you can and let’s go of you, rushing into the blizzard with Jongin.

“Wai—” You call, but your voice is drowned out. You push yourself to keep up, staggering in the icy snow.

When you finally make it past the blizzard and to the eye of the storm, you make out the slumped figure of a man. Jongin and Jongdae surround him, kneeling. “Hyung? Minseok-hyung? Are you alright?”

The man lifts his head at the voices, his eyes wide as he gazes at his two younger brothers. “J-Jongin? Jongdae?”

Immediately, the storm ceases. The wind stops blowing, the snow stops falling. You shiver, finally free from the bitter storm of ice.

“Yes, it’s us.” Jongdae smiles widely, tears in the corners of his eyes. “We were so worried about you. We were looking everywhere for you, hyung.”

“I—” Minseok pauses, gulping. “I missed you too. I thought…I thought you two didn’t make it.” A soft sob escapes his lips. The three brothers embrace, a happy reunion after a long year of separation.

 

Finally, Jongin speaks, “Where’s Junmyeon-hyung? Is he not with you?”

 

Minseok’s face immediately falls, pale and grim. “He…he didn’t make it.”

 

“What?” Jongdae gasps, eyes wide at the news. He chokes, “What…what do you mean?”

Minseok closes his eyes, his faces filled with sorrow. “I…When we were fighting the intruders of our kingdom, he…he was killed and I couldn’t save him.”

“No.” Jongin sobs, wiping furiously at his eyes as he tries to register what his brother just said. “No, no. It’s not true.”

“It is.” Minseok let’s out a shaky breath, standing up and dusting off the snow left on his clothes. He turns to Jongdae and places a hand on his shoulder. “Now that Junmyeon is gone, you’re the heir, Jongdae.”

Jongdae in a breath sharply, eyes wide and glossy. “B-But I can’t…I don’t—” He sputters helplessly, all of this happening too quickly, too suddenly.

“I know it’s hard.” Minseok comforts him with a gentle squeeze. “But you have to, Jongdae. Exodauntia is counting on you.”

Jongdae sinks his teeth into his lower lip, his shoulders sagging at the sudden weight. But then he stands up straighter, authority rolling off him and he nods. “I understand, hyung.”

Minseok lets out a small smile. “Good.” He then turns, stopping in surprise when he sees you, still shivering from the cold. “W-Who’s this?”

“Oh!” Jongdae immediately comes to your side, putting a hand on your arm. “She’s…uh…”

“She’s a human.” Minseok bristles as he furrows his brows. “Jongdae, why—”

“She saved me, hyung.” Jongdae whispers, stepping in front of you as if to shield you from any harm. “Please, the enemies know her smell. They know she’s with us, so I can’t let her go back home or else they’ll kill her. Let her come with us, please.”

Minseok looks over you, scanning you, his eyes suddenly ice cold. You shake under the intensity, suddenly wanting nothing but to dig a hole in the snow and disappear.

Finally, Minseok nods and a small smile graces his face. “Okay. If you say so.”

He holds out a hand for a handshake. You look at Jongdae for reassurance. He smiles widely at you, nodding and nudging for you to take his hand. “This is my eldest brother, Kim Minseok.”

You take his hand, only to get taken aback by how cold it is. It’s at least ten times colder than Jongdae or Jongin’s, making you shiver harder than you had already.

“Hyung,” you hear Jongin say, slight panic in his tone. “She looks really pale—”

Your knees give out as Jongdae catches you. Their faces are blurred when they lean in to take a better look at you. You’re suddenly very sleepy, your eyes too heavy to keep open.

“She’s freezing.” Jongdae’s voice sounds faded as he talks to his brothers. “We have to get out of here.”

“Hold onto me.” Jongin grabs both his brothers, teleporting away.

You feel yourself grow light, but the world falls dark before you can land.

 

“She’s awake.” Jongin calls loudly towards the open door.

You blink, breathing out shakily, the ice still not completely gone from your bones. You glance over at Jongin who’s sitting in a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter