Chapter 9

Exodauntia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You can’t wait any longer. You rush out your room, through the hallways, trying to find the main door. Kris looked so cautious just now and you know the logical thing to do is to stay in your room until morning, but you just can’t. Not when you know there’s a chance of Jongdae being in danger.

You finally find the staircase that leads to the entrance of the castle, skipping two steps at a time as you hurry to leave.

 

“Are you leaving?”

 

You almost can’t stop with how fast your legs are moving, but you manage to slow down in time to see Kris standing by the side, leaning against the wall with his arms crossed. Though his posture is lax, you can see the worry in his eyes.

“Yes,” you answer, your voice filled with determination. “I have to warn him.”

Kris nods solemnly, his eyes darting around as if to make sure the two of you are alone. “Be careful.”

You nod back, picking up speed again as you burst through the doors of the castle, down the its path and you soon find ourself out the barrier. You shiver as the wind hits you, the night air unbelievably cold. You can see just the tiniest bleed of orange in the sky, a sign that morning will come soon.

Jongdae, Jongdae. You chant continuously as you run past the broken structures that litters the place and into the forest beyond. Jongdae, please be safe.

You hesitate as you slow down, your head spinning as you try to find the right direction. Jongin teleported you here, you remember with growing dread, so you don’t know the way back yourself.

You begin to panic, the trees that loom over you suddenly feel so much taller, so much darker. You feel almost claustrophobic here, your breathing becoming increasingly ragged.

 

Jongdae, Jongdae, Jongdae, Jongdae—

 

 

“Hey, hey!”

 

 

You blink, feeling someone shake you. You look up, feeling tears well in your eyes as you see his familiar concerned face studying you.

“Jongdae.” Your voice comes out choked as you quickly wrap your arms around his slim waist, pressing your face against his shirt, your tears soaking his shirt.

“What’s wrong?” Jongdae’s voice is a pitch too high, filled with absolute worry. “Are you hurt? Don’t tell me Kris did anything to you or I swear I’ll—”

“No,” you shake your head, taking in his comforting scent. “It’s not that.”

“Then what is it?” Jongdae asks, his tone a bit gentler as he runs his hand through your hair. “Tell me.”

“I—” You hesitate, sinking your teeth into your bottom lip. “Can we go home first?”

His eyes softens and he nods, “Of course.”

Jongin steps out of the shadows, and seeing him feels so good. A wave of relief washes over you when he smiles at you, his eyes twinkling like he’s glad to see you too. He holds out his hands for you and Jongdae, teleporting you back.

 

Once you’re comfortably snuggled on the couch with a blanket wrapped around your form and a mug of hot chocolate in your hands, you find yourself smiling. You’ve only been away for a day and a half, yet it already feels so long. You missed being this carefree, since you know Jongdae would never let anything happen to you.

He watches you carefully on the opposite couch, his eyes glowing a faint crimson. He has his arms crossed, a small pout on his lips. “Can you tell me now? I was sure I felt a sting from your mark—”

“I’m fine, really.” You cut him off, waving your hand. You offer him a smile which was meant to be reassuring, but his frown only deepens.

“Okay then,” he says carefully, “What exactly happened?”

You bite your lip nervously, glancing around the house. Minseok was the one who greeted you when you arrived at the mansion, and even prepared a blanket for you, but disappeared to his room the second you settled back in. Jongin made you hot chocolate before saying something about taking a walk outside before the sun comes out.

You know you shouldn’t be so wary like this—you trust them—but you just can’t help it. Not when Kris implies a traitor within Jongdae’s allies.

You pat the spot next to you on the couch, telling Jongdae to come closer. He does, but still looks upset like a child which makes you almost want to laugh. But then you think about what you’re going to tell him and all laughter dies away.

“Jongdae,” you lower your voice into a whisper, making him furrow his brows. He can hear you just fine, but he doesn’t understand why you’re speaking this way. “Kris isn’t the one who started the war.”

“What?” Jongdae recoils at the very thought. “What do you mean? Kris was definitely the one who stole our kingdom.”

“No,” you shake your head, your voice lowering even further. “He told me that he was merely a pawn. Jongdae, listen to me. You might not believe it but,” you take a deep breath, preparing yourself for your next words, “one of your allies is a traitor. One of them wanted to rule Exodauntia for themselves.”

Jongdae stares at you for a moment, something flashing in his eyes. Then he throws his head back and lets out a loud laugh. “Wow, good one. You really almo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter