Chapter 1

Exodauntia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You grew up in a very conserved environment. Your family is influential. Both your parents work for the government, so you were mostly alone in your childhood. When you turned eighteen, you insisted to move out of the big city and to a small little down quite a distance from your home.

You wanted to start over in a different place, to be yourself. Not the ‘daughter of the two government officials.’ You wanted to just be normal.

But even when you moved out, your parents bought a huge mansion for you, hiring several maids and butlers to tend to your everything. The only friend you really had was your personal maid, Nana, who was with you for basically your entire life.

 

And that’s it.

 

Even when you moved out, you were still kept under high surveillance. Nana was softer on you, but still made sure you were a ‘proper lady’ as not to shame your parents. It was just how life was like for you.

 

 

That day you were on your way home from an art class you took as a hobby when you saw a large commotion in the middle of town. A crowd of people were huddled together, mumbling to each other and seemingly very distressed.

Curious, you pulled Nana over to see what was happening. You squeezed your way through the many bodies, your eyes widening as you see a figure slumped on the concrete.

A man with dark hair and extremely pale skin laid on the floor, sweat caked on his forehead. He looked like he was in pain, but no one seems to take the initiative to help him.

Gritting your teeth, you motioned for Nana to help you as you make your way over, patting his cold cheek gently in attempt to wake him. “Hey, hey! Wake up! Are you okay? Mister?”

 

There’s no response.

 

Worried, you looked around for help, but everyone was merely standing and watching you. You and Nana grabbed his arms to hoist him up, both of you having his arms around your shoulders. “We need to get you to a doctor.”

Your house is nearby, so you stumbled your way a few blocks. You and Nana struggled to carry this man, but somehow you did and once you enter your house, immediately your other servants lifted him off of you and to a guest room. Nana rung up a doctor quickly, and he comes hastily to give the man a check.

 

“Probably exhaustion.” The doctor says after a thorough check, putting his equipment back into his briefcase. “I initially thought it looked like loss of blood since his shirt is covered in blood, but I couldn’t find any external injuries,” he presses his hand against the man’s forehead. “He’s heating up. I’ll give him some fever medicine and let him rest for a bit. If it worsens, call me.”

You nod gratefully at him, bowing as he leaves. You give Nana a worried glance, but she merely shrugs and went back to her usual chores.

Three days later he wakes up with no memory of where he’s from, why he was there, how he collapsed. The only thing he remembers is the name Chen, which he thinks is his own but he’s not sure.

 

It’s been a year since then. You let him stay with you since he had nowhere to go, and since your parents lived away from you, there were no worries there. You’ve grown quite fond of him. He’s gentle and kind but also fun to be around.

But you wonder if he’ll ever regain his memories. Surely he must have a family waiting for him, a place that he should return to.

And it might be selfish of you, but deep inside you wish he would never leave. After all, you’ve been alone since forever.

You don’t try to dwell on the thought that one day he’s going to go back to where he belongs, leaving you all alone again.

 

“Chen!” You yell as you wear your sneakers and smooth out your shirt. You’ve decided to go out with casual clothes today, something you weren’t really ‘allowed’ to do, being the ‘lady of the house’ and all. But honestly, you’re an adult now so you can do whatever you want. “Hurry up! Let’s go!”

Chen stumbles down the stairs in a hurry, trying to tuck his shirt into his black jeans so it doesn’t look too oversized. You giggle at his frantic look, waving him over. “Come on, let’s go.”

He slips into his shoes and follows you out the door.

You’ve been sneaking out with Chen a lot lately. You were never allowed to go out without Nana, but ever since Chen came, you decided you would be fine going out on your own.

You breathe in the fresh air, the warm sunlight warming your skin. You love going out, more so because you couldn’t before.

You pull Chen along to town where they were holding a small fair. Crowds of people bustle around, and you love it. You love mee

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter