Temporarily Missing

Byun, the Californian Prince

Since they had time to explore and walk around during the morning, Yixing took Chanyeol out to prep him for his date with Baekhyun. The giant clearly had no idea what to do for the blonde, so Yixing decided to use his spare time and take him around to get a sense of the place. As for Baekhyun, he was trying to mentally prepare himself for the evening. Jongdae gave him a curfew since he can't miss out on the entire birthday celebration. Then, Minseok figured out everything from Jongdae about what was happening between Chanyeol and Baekhyun, and was completely supporting them despite how difficult it can be.

 

It was around seven in the morning when Baekhyun woke himself up. He blinked his eyes open to find himself facing his cousin's face just inches away from his. He leaned back with wide eyes due to shock. Later he realize that Jongin was mumbling in his sleep. "Kyungsoo, you're so pretty up close..." The younger unconsciously threw his arm around Baekhyun's waist and attempted to pull him closer. The blonde yelped intentionally and immediately woke his cousin up. Jongin retreated back his hand and pushed Baekhyun away from him. "YAH! Why are you screaming??" Jongin whined before rubbing his eyes.

 

"You were warming up against me thinking I was your boyfriend—" Baekhyun started giggling when Jongin started whining more. "Would you like to know what you did my lovely cousin?" He asked as he inched closer as the younger moved away from him more to the edge of the bed. They both calmed down before taking their time to feel more awake and getting up.

 

Today was definitely not going to be a normal day. Even facing his own cousin feeling him up, Baekhyun still felt butterflies remembering what happened at night. Is it safe to call it a date? Is it even a date? It will be the first time he will spend with THE Park Chanyeol— in secret—  and a proper hang out with each other after talking to each other in messages. Baekhyun had zero experience in dating, but he knew it wouldn't hurt to imagine that his life is in a movie. Perhaps his favorite movie, What A Girl Wants. He wanted to be mentally and physically prepared for what's to come in the evening. However, there was a problem.

 

"I would love for Baekhyun to be out with Chanyeol, but my father is expecting him to say a speech for my mother."

 

Minseok and Jongdae were at a cafe nearby the hotel as their drinks were announced at the pick-up counter. The younger specifically asked for the prince to meet up with him before spending his spare time with the two cousins. Thanking the barista for their drinks, Minseok slid the iced tea towards the younger before sliding his own in front of him.

 

"Does Chanyeol know that Yixing knows Baekhyun?" Minseok asked as he reached over for the honey. Jongdae shook his head in reply. "Thank goodness. Must've been too tired to even think of asking!" He laughed before drizzling a little honey in Jongdae's drink.

 

Jongdae cracked a small smile before shrugging his shoulders. "He'll only become curious when he sees Yixing talking to him. He might even introduce Yixing to Baekhyun if anything. Baekhyun didn't even know Chanyeol was here," he said nervously. "Don't you feel anxious about what is developing with Chanyeol?" He asked while walking out of the cafe with the prince. 

 

The elder chuckled. "You asked as if I knew of this story for weeks. However, based on what you said, I am a bit nervous. Chanyeol doesn't know Baekhyun like that, and it's funny how he still has no idea how Baekhyun is blowing up!" Although it's good that Chanyeol still hasn't discovered Baekhyun's real identity, it's also concerning that Chanyeol might never find out. Because of the family history between their families, it's going to be difficult for Baekhyun to try to be with Chanyeol. Even with the help of the other boys, there are still risks that may result into a bigger feud. The two walked in comfortable silence as they sipped their iced tea and being oblivious of what's happening with Baekhyun and Jongdae.

 

With clothes all piled on the bed, Jongin grabbed a random pale yellow hoodie from Baekhyun's suitcase along with a neon green shirt. Luckily Baekhyun still had some of his old clothing until he had his closet upgraded. Baekhyun pulled out a striped button down shirt and a white t-shirt out of the other cute clothing he brought with him. Jongin was already dressed in his bear jeans and a white top while helping the elder decide on what to wear.

 

"Dae can wear these since he barely has any normal clothing," Jongin said, tossing them aside. "Shouldn't you tidy up? You have all of your brand new clothes on the bed."

 

Baekhyun sighed while staring at his clothes. He forgot how his clothes have changed from free college gear and old passed down clothing to brand name clothing. Wearing too many suits got him used to them. "I should huh? It'll distract me from being nervous," Baekhyun said as he began to fold. "Besides we are going out in disguises to explore. I have all the time I need before escaping the night and going out with Chan—"

 

The door opened with a beep and Jongdae's black hair peeped into the room. Once he came inside, Minseok followed right behind him and shuts the door. The cousins made their way out of Baekhyun's room and their eyes were glued on the prince. Then Jongin gasped as he realized who Minseok is.

 

"You're Prince Kim Minseok! My mom adores you!" He cheered before coming closer and bowing his head. "You are more handsome in person, Prince Kim!" Minseok was taken aback by Jongin's behavior and quickly made him straighten his back. He hated formality for a prince. The younger only laughed at him before extending his arm out towards him. Minseok quickly grasped onto his hand with both hands as he shook it.

 

Baekhyun pointed into his room to tell Jongdae the clothes were left out for him, and the designer headed inside to change out of his clothes. Minseok smiled at both Jongin and Baekhyun before moving towards the blonde. He nervously extended his arm towards him and Baekhyun shook his hand with his trembling one. "Sorry for not dressing myself properly, Prince Kim," he said as he looked down at his own pajamas.

 

The prince shook his head with a chuckle. "It's not an issue! I came without notice," he assured him. "I want to thank you for being the first Byun member to visit a birthday celebration in Japan. Your family is always occupied to visit, so I want to express my gratitude to you," Minseok said with a wide smile plastered on his face. Baekhyun was taken back by the new fact he learned about his family. It started to make him question if they ever have any fun, especially if he has only seen his aunt acting up at previous events. It was rare, but now he understood.

 

"Thank you for inviting me, Prince Kim—" Minseok pressed his finger against his lips.

 

"No, call me Minseok. I hate formality," he said before clapping his hands together. "Well! I should leave. I have preparations to finalize for my mother. I will see you all in the evening!" He said before giving both the cousins a nod as he headed towards the door. Jongdae quickly rushed out of the room in Baekhyun's ordinary clothes and saw the prince opening the door. Baekhyun looked back with a questioning look while Jongin smirked at him. Minseok took a glance back and saw Jongdae. "Oh, see you tonight, Dae!" He greeted before leaving the room.

 

After the click of the door closing, Jongdae dropped to his knees. Baekhyun yelped and rushed to pick the younger up while Jongin clicked his tongue. While Baekhyun was scolding the younger for being dramatic, Jongin was shaking his pointing finger down at Jongdae's head. Jongdae tried to bring himself together as he was being teased by Jongin.

 

"Yah! What's wrong with you? My clothes aren't even that heavy, idiot!" Baekhyun sighed as he dragged Jongdae's arms up. "Why are you laughing, Jongin?"

 

The cousin shook his head as Jongdae got up. "I saw something that you are too dense to notice," he said.

 

[Temporarily Missing]

 

"I hope everyone had a lovely experience around Tokyo, Japan! Please spend the rest of your day lovingly at our summer festival!"

 

"Yes miss travel expert!" Baekhyun shouted in his broken Japanese before getting smacked by Jongdae. "Hey, I'm still not blowing my cover!"

 

From the morning to the afternoon, the three boys took a tour around the city. After fighting over what to do during their stay, Jongin won at rock paper scissors to go on a tour. As punishment, Baekhyun and Jongdae has to respond to everything the tour guide said throughout the tour. The three hopped off the bus and walked towards the entrance of the festival. They were faced with a bunch of food and shopping tents as the walked in. While strolling in, Jongin saw suspicious glimpses from bystanders as they passed by. It didn't surprised him since all the other two did was wear a hat. Baekhyun wore glasses to "hide his identity."

 

Jongdae saw a cute accessory stand and quickly rushed towards it, leaving the cousins behind. Right when Baekhyun tried to link arms with Jongin, the taller left him once he spotted baby clothing. "Oh! I need to buy gifts for my baby sister!" He yelped before scurrying away from the elder.

 

Now that Baekhyun was alone, all he did was continue exploring around the festival. Who needs them? He can have some alone time for once! Baekhyun stopped upon two signs pointing at different directions, and he took the left road to find most of the food stands. He wanted to eat authentic Japanese food anyways. As he went down that direction, Yixing and Chanyeol stumbled upon the same two signs coming from the right road.

 

"Are you hungry yet?" Yixing asked while he studied the map of the festival. "If we go straight, we'll see most of the food. Unless you want to shop for small souvenirs?" What Yixing asked went from one ear to another when Chanyeol spotted a certain blonde walking alone ahead of him. He took out his phone to see the photo Baekhyun sent him in the morning and it looked exactly like him. "I feel like shopping for a bit—"

 

Chanyeol adjusted his beanie before patting the elder on the back. "Do that. I'm going to buy us some food," he said before dashing off to find Baekhyun in the food section. Yixing made a questioning face until he shrugged and walked into the entrance shopping section. Chanyeol didn't expect to see the younger at the festival. Neither did he tell him of his plans for the day. It made him wonder if he was still thinking about their date in the evening. Well, Chanyeol wants to call it that, but maybe it's safe to call it a hangout for his sake. He doesn't want to be misguided and hurt his own feelings.

 

Chanyeol didn't expect to develop feelings for the younger. He felt like it was wrong to like the younger because of two reasons. One, Baekhyun doesn't live in Korea. Two, his surname is Byun, which makes him feel weird since his family has a history with the Byuns. He knew that he had nothing to do with royalty, but it will be a bit awkward to get used to his name. There was a lot of consequences if he decided to blurt out how much he liked the younger. However, he doesn't even know his uality. The taller sighed to himself as he entered the food section. Because of how many stands and how crowded it was, he couldn't find Baekhyun anywhere. So he continued by passing through the tents to see what he could eat.

 

Meanwhile, Baekhyun was staring at the takoyaki stand about two feet away from Chanyeol on the opposite side. If only Jongdae remained by his side, he wouldn't be here close to drooling over snacks. He looked into his back again to see if he had any money, and all he found was his spare change. He was out of luck. There weren't even free samples at any of the stands he's been to. With pursed lips, he took a deep breath before moving on to see other food stands through the huge tents. Chanyeol turned around to see the opposite side of the section, completely missing Baekhyun. He spotted the takoyaki shop and immediately reached in his pockets to find money to buy some.

 

Baekhyun wandered around until he found a stand that offered free samples. A little bit of mochi could ease his hunger. He took one off of the tray and ate it whole. He closed his eyes in satisfaction and then heard a gasp in front of him. He quickly looked at the girl holding the samples and her eyes were wide. "You're that prince that everyone loves right now, right? Prince Byun?" She asked in Japanese. Baekhyun looked at her dumbfounded but he knew that she said something about him. He held a finger up to his lips and she got the message as she gave him the thumbs up. She pushed the tray towards him to make him take more, and if Baekhyun was offered more, who is he to reject?

 

Shortly after, Chanyeol made it to where Baekhyun was with a bag full of snacks and takoyaki. As he was stuffing his mouth with popcorn curry chicken, he spotted Baekhyun and choked on the piece he was swallowing. He made sure to keep his profile low as he adjusted his sunglasses and went to a nearby seating section closest to the younger. He turned around to see that he was sitting at the most famous cheese corn dog stand and contemplated on whether or not to buy some for Yixing. Maybe perhaps, Baekhyun only. Chanyeol could tell by the way he was hogging most of the samples, he was hungry. So Chanyeol made his pockets hurt.

 

"Excuse me?" Chanyeol called out to the boy behind the counter of the stand. "Can I order eight cheese corn dogs? Give half to that guy over at the mochi stand. I will pay," he said as he fished for his wallet.

 

The boy looked at him as if he was weird and looked across the stand, "YAH! CALL THAT BOY OVER HERE! SOMEONE IS PAYING FOR MY FOOD FOR HIM!"

 

The sample girl pointed at Baekhyun and nodded her head. She directed him over to the stand and Baekhyun went with a confused look on his face. Before Baekhyun approached the stand, Chanyeol placed the exact amount on the counter and quickly faced the other way when Baekhyun arrived. The smaller looked at his back profile before sitting down at an empty table. He pulled out his phone to text Chanyeol while waiting for some reason he was not aware of. Chanyeol felt his phone vibrate in his pocket and Baekhyun's eyes glanced at his pants. It was a weird thought, but Baekhyun ignored it. The boy rang the bell to get Baekhyun's attention and he slid the bag of corn dogs towards him. Shocked, Baekhyun pointed at himself and the man nodded.

 

"N-No... no money?" Baekhyun said as he showed his loose change and the boy shook his head aggressively. "Thank you!" He exclaimed proudly in one of the only Japanese words he can say and cradled the bag of cheese corn dogs as he walked away happily. Once he left, Chanyeol turned around to grab his portion and thanked the boy before leaving. As he walked away, Chanyeol took a photo of the bags of food he has in his hand before calling Yixing to find where he was.

 

[Temporarily Missing]

 

Back at the hotel with bags of snacks and souvenirs, Baekhyun was deciding on what to wear for the evening. Between what Jongin and Jongdae picked, they both had very different styles. Jongin went for a denim type of fit while Jongdae came up with a chic yet comfortable type. They were both too good to choose from, and in the end, Baekhyun started rummaging through his luggage. He came up with an oversized graphic tee with baggy black pants and a black bomber jacket just to make himself less known to the public since he got caught earlier throughout the day.

 

Jongdae watched as the prince completely ignored his suggestion. "That over my pick? I feel disrespected," he said with a hint of disappointment. "No one can tell if it is you. It'll be easy to take off when you come back too."

 

"Nuh uh!" Jongin placed his phone down on his lap in the corner of the room. "Have you seen my fit for him? Nice, comfortable, and stylish! Yours looked like something a prince would wear to grab attention. Mine is not even designer too," he argued.

 

Baekhyun stared at the both of them as they bickered over their outfits in front of him. His phone lit up with a notification from Chanyeol and he picked it up to see what it was. Chanyeol sent a photo of him in his room with a glimpse of his outfit. A black oversized shirt with khakis. He took a glance at the outfits laid in front of him before dropping his phone on the bed and coming up with an idea. In the midst of arguing, they stopped when Jongin saw Baekhyun rearranging in the corner of his eye and they both watched as he combined their outfits. Baekhyun took Jongin's creme graphic shirt and Jongdae's black jeans along with his own black oversized bomber jacket.

 

The designer sighed while Jongin frowned. "You ruined the fun of it," he pouted and went back to play his game on his phone.

 

"At least it's still a fit. I'll put them in my bag. I already have my sneakers and cap inside," Baekhyun said as he grabbed his bag from besides his feet. "I should come up with questions since he doesn't know that I know Yixing brought him as a plus one. Like why are you here? It's such a coincidence! Or crack a joke in?"

 

"Well," Jongdae giggled, "we all knew that Yixing brought him here obviously. I'm actually shocked about it because Chanyeol barely tags along for the sake of his identity. Despite rumors, people still think he is in Barcelona."

 

Jongin aggressively jabs his thumbs against his phone without looking up from it. "I found it crazy how Yixing has been hiding him since he came back. I wonder how long this will take until people find Chanyeol. Especially when a certain somebody is taking risks," he laughed out loud. "It's crazy how some of you guys are really " hiding him. It must be hard to protect your friend."

 

Jongdae scoffed as he looked out the balcony view. "It's too hard, but it's somehow better this way. Baek, just ask him why he's here. He will be forward with you."

 

"Like what? Oh, I'm here because I am close friends with a prince from China?" He mocked his deep voice, causing Jongdae to cringe against the window. "I mean, it's accurate?" Baekhyun laughed as he zipped up his bag. "Okay then. We should get ready, huh?" The two nodded their heads and made their way out to Jongdae's bed.

 

Even though the blonde felt compelled about his anxiety, he was extremely scared of how he will manage. It's not anything new since they talk often, but this felt different. Chanyeol himself asking him to hang out? It was bold. It would be their first official hang out— as friends— in person. He knew how the elder is like, but does he really know him? Is he really that cute? He even forgot what he looked like in person. They were the same worries that he took with him to the birthday celebration. On the other hand, Chanyeol was in his shared room with Yixing as they faced one another on their beds. Chanyeol ran his hand through his black hair while Yixing was resting his chin on his right palm. They both kept glancing at the clock above the balcony view. The ticking sounds were starting to get Chanyeol to become antsy.

 

"I told you what to do and where to go," Yixing sighed, "so go there and do a good impression with your rented Vespa."

 

Chanyeol nodded as he played with his watch. "Should I tell him about you? He doesn't even know why I'm here. It's like I'm stalking him in his point of view."

 

"It'll be best," Yixing replied to assure him. It'll be no use since Baekhyun is aware of who he is. The prince got up from his bed and adjusted his blazer before motioning Chanyeol to get ready. Lucky for him, he won't be needing a personal driver to transport him to places since Chanyeol decided to rent out a Vespa.

 

[Temporarily Missing]

 

The evening was filled with liquor, authentic Japanese and Korean food, and a lot of dancing— all thanks to Jongin. It was already an hour since they arrived at the party and everyone was practically swooning over Baekhyun and Jongin. There were times where princesses would shoot their shots with Jongin, but he simply brushed them off and ran to the nearest food section to hide himself. As for Baekhyun, he tried to calm down his nerves by taking in small amounts of alcohol and appetizers before dancing like no tomorrow with his cousin at any given chance. Throughout the evening, there were times where Baekhyun would encounter some questioning glares whenever he acts a certain way towards Jongdae. He was aware that people were thinking of him to be gay, but he still didn't understand why it would be an issue. It's different now!

 

Baekhyun grabbed Jongin's hands as they danced to the soft music and someone tapped on his shoulder. He turned his head and a man in glasses leaned towards his ear. "Prince Kim Minseok would like to meet with you in private," he whispered sternly. The blonde looked back at his cousin as Jongin winked at him and spun him away towards the guard.

 

Baekhyun followed behind the man while shooting some friendly glances at anyone who makes eye contact with him and left the ballroom to the hall. The guard guided him towards a door at the end of the hall next to the library room and he knocked on the door. Once Baekhyun heard Minseok's voice, the guard opened the door for him and he entered inside.

 

"Thank you very much," Minseok thanked the guard before the man closed the door to leave them some privacy. The elder looked at Baekhyun excitedly and handed him his bag. "Yixing and Jungmyeon are outside to look out for you. I hope you don't mind Jungmyeon being nosey," he laughed as Baekhyun took out his sneakers from the bag. The blonde shook his head as he carefully undressed himself.

 

Minseok took out his phone to text Jongdae to start the curfew in about ten minutes. The boys all agreed that about two hours was enough for Baekhyun to be out until he has to make a speech on behalf of his family for Minseok's mother. Once the blonde was in his comfortable clothing and was told about his curfew, Minseok placed his hands on the younger's shoulders. "I've known Chanyeol my whole life, so this is new to me. Take care of him—"

 

Baekhyun interrupted with a burst of laughter. "We aren't even dating yet!"

 

"I know, yet still! Take care of him! He is new to this just as you are, but I think you have more experience through movies or something," Minseok said. "Anyways, you need to climb out the window."

 

Yixing and Jungmyeon were sitting outside in front of the room Minseok and Baekhyun were in as they watched Chanyeol from afar. The giant was parked outside of the gates on the Vespa while looking at the crowded streets. Yixing was keeping track of the messages from the group chat as Jungmyeon was staring at the giant. "Is it me, or did Chanyeol become more handsome? This is my first time actually looking at him after so long," he said while Yixing was texting. "It's actually surprising. He's low-key glowing!"

 

The sound of the window opening made the two turn around in time to see Baekhyun's body make a thud onto the grass. Minseok quickly covered his mouth as he closed the window. The two looked at each other before rushing to help Baekhyun. Chanyeol heard bickering and quickly bashed his head around to see Jungmyeon laughing out loud at Baekhyun who was being picked up by Yixing. He couldn't make out what was happening, yet watched until Jungmyeon kicked Baekhyun away from him and Yixing waving at him to start the engine. Chanyeol's heart began to pick up its pace once he saw Baekhyun running towards the slightly opened gates of the venue. As Baekhyun slid between the gates and ran towards him, he quickly hopped behind the Vespa and immediately wrapped his arms around Chanyeol's waist, causing the elder to stiffen.

 

"Sorry, but can I get the spare helmet? We should go before Jongdae starts panicking," Baekhyun said in a hushed manner. 

 

Chanyeol gave him the spare helmet before lifting up the kickstand. "I'm not trying to make him regret his decision," he chuckled before leaving the entrance gates to their first destination.

 

Back at the party, Minseok left the room and met up with Jongin and Jongdae coming from where the ballroom was. They were quickly walking towards him with worried expressions on their faces. Minseok's smile turned into a frown when they reached in front of him. "What's going on?" Minseok asked.

 

Jongin looked at Jongdae as the other did the same, trying to indirectly tell each other to break the news to the elder. Rolling his eyes, Jongdae took responsibility and sighed. "The guards told me that they saw Baekhyun leave the party. They confronted me and I had to make up an excuse for him—"

 

"Me too! I had to help Dae out," Jongin butted.

 

"Anyways," Jongdae exhaled, "because they don't believe me for saying that he had to go back to the hotel, they are forcing undercover guards to go out to the city to make sure he is safe. You know what that means."

 

Yixing and Jungmyeon came back in and saw the group gathered in the middle of the hallway. They approached with alertness and Minseok bit his lip in worry. It was going to be a crazy night where the Byun Prince is temporarily missing and where Minseok has to fire all of his current guards for better ones. Yet, Baekhyun has no clue of what was going to go down.

 

[Temporarily Missing]

 

Long time no see yall. I have a new summer fic that I have been preparing since the start of quarantine! For those of you who haven't noticed, my other fic, Too Far for Mehas completely been finished. It is not entirely finished; however, it is a start of a new era for that one. Take a look at it if you haven't already read it :) As for my new summer fic, Tidal Waves, I will be updating it while you wait for new chapters for this fic. Please go subscribe to it! I am very excited to be working on a new fic for you guys, so stay tuned. Thank you for being so patient with this story. Please comment, subscribe, and leave an upvote! <33

 

[Temporarily Missing]