Chapter 9

Forbidden fruit

The next morning, Minhyuk woke up with mixed feelings. He took his relationship with Hye-Mi on another level the day before and it was actually scaring him.

It was the first time that Minhyuk was uncomfortable about dating a woman. Usually, after a first kiss with a woman he liked, everyone could see the happiness reflected on his face. Tae-Yong was one of the person to easily guess something great happened to him.

But this time, it was different. He did have this feeling of happiness when he came back home the day before, but in the morning, he was feeling doubts and fear.

He was wondering if he was right to date a girl of only 19, being himself 26. The wasn't that big, but being a lawyer, he knew that he could be risking a lot even if Hye-Mi was of age. And of course, there was Tae-Yong and this fear of losing one of his trusted friends; because he knew that he would never accept theit love story. Even if Minhyuk was the one who loved his daughter.

Minhyuk was lost in his thoughts when his phone rang. He smiled, knowing it must be Hye-Mi.

Hello?”

Good morning honey.”

Minhyuk chuckled, surprised.

Honey?” he chuckled again.

Well...Does it bother you that I called you that?”

Not not really. It's nice, I just wasn't expecting to have a nickname already,” he smiled.

Alright, maybe it's too soon. How are you doing? Did you sleep well?”

Yes, pretty well,” Minhyuk sighed, “And what about you princess?” he asked, smiling.

Princess is my nickname?” Hye-Mi inquired, smiling, “I slept very well. I dreamt about you, kissing me like yesterday. It felt good,” she sighed.

Minhyuk found himself, smiling wildly on the phone. He found what she said very cute.

That's cute Hye-Mi. It's...” he paused, “It's great,” he stated on a sad tone.

A silence came between them. Minhyuk was lost in his thoughts.

Minhyuk? Are you still here?”

Yes, sorry. I was thinking about something.”

About what? Something on a case?” Hye-Mi asked, enthusiastic.

No...About us. What happened, what will happen...” he replied slowly.

Minhyuk, do you have...second thoughts?” his girl inquired, worried.

No, I don't. I just wondered where it will lead us. How will we live with it?”

Hye-Mi sighed loudly.

Listen Minhyuk, why don't you just savour the moment? We kissed, it was great. I guess we're dating. Why don't you just let things happen, please?”

I know...” he replied in a sigh, “You're right. I think too much like a grown up,” Minhyuk chuckled, “And to answer you, yes we're dating,” Minhyuk smiled.

I like this...us dating,” she giggled.

Yeah,” Minhyuk smiled, “Hye-Mi, I have to hang up. I'll call you later, alright?”

Alright, I'm going to miss you. Bye.”

Me too, bye.” Minhyuk uttered.

Hye-Mi hung up and laid on her bed with a big smile on her face. She felt she was already in love and she was dating probably, the iest lawyer in Seoul.

She couldn't stop smiling, thinking about her boyfriend when she heard soft knocks on the door.

Yes?”

Little sister, it's me,” Jae-Mi, Hye-Mi's older sister said, coming in the room.

Yes, what do you want?”

To borrow you your red shoes...Oh you...” Jae-Mi uttered, looking at her sister, “You seem strangely happy this morning.”

I do?” Hye-Mi asked, blushing slightly, before giggling.

Jae-Mi sighed and sat on the bed, next to Hye-Mi.

Okay, there's only one reason that girls are giggling stupidely like this in the morning. Who's the boy?”

Hye-Mi smiled wildly.

Hmm no, I can't tell you,” she said, shaking her head.

I'm not daddy, I don't care,” Jae-Mi shrugged, “I won't tell anyone.”

Hye-Mi rolled her eyes and hesitated for a few seconds. She knew her sister wouldn't say anything.

It's Minhyuk.”

Minhyuk? Minhyuk?” Jae-Mi repeated, to be sure she heard well, “Dad's partner?”

Yes, that one,” she sighed, before wrapping her arms around her legs.

Oh Hye-Mi,” her sister laughed, “He's maybe really handsome and everything but he's 26. It's not good to fantasize about older men, especially this one. Stop dreaming, little sister,” she uttered, patting Hye-Mi's shoulder.

We kissed yesterday,” Hye-Mi stated, smiling.

What?” Jae-Mi screamed before choking, “You what?”

We kissed yesterday in the park. It was great. Kind of romantic and he's a great kisser,” she sighed with a smile.

Experience maybe,” Jae-Mi shrugged, “So are you dating now?”

Well, it seems...” Hye-Mi replied, less enthusiastic.

Seem? Why? He kissed you back so...”

Yes, but this morning, I felt he seems to have doubts. He said he was thinking about us, about what happed, what will happen. I'm afraid, he'll change his mind.”

Why's that?”

First, our age difference. I'm just 19.”

I was thinking about it too. The isn't so big but, in his mind you're still a teenager.”

I know but age is nothing but a number as I told him. It shouldn't play a role in love stories.”

It shouldn't and it doesn't most of the time. Even if yours don't look so big, you're still a teenager. It wouldn't mind that much if you were 25 and he, 32 for exemple.”

I know,” Hye-Mi sighed, “And then there's dad. Minhyuk feels like he's betraying him.”

Pretty much yes. I can't imagine how dad would react to this.”

Hye-Mi sighed and looked down sadly.

Do you think he'll change his mind?” she asked her sister.

If he has feelings for you, he won't. I don't want to be negative, but he's in a difficult position. You also have to understand him.”

I know but I want to be with him...”

You already have feelings for him, don't you?” Jae-Mi asked as she put her hand on her sister's shoulder.

Yes, I love him. First time I'm really falling in love with someone and it's seem so complicated,” she sighed.

It's not a good situation, but if you had to be with an older man, I think Minhyuk is a good choice. He's a good man, responsible and respectful. I'm sure, he's treat you right,” Jae-Mi smiled softly to her sister.

Thanks,” Hye-Mi smiled back, “But you keep your mouth shut,”

Sealed,” Jae-Mireplied, zipping .

They laughed when Tae-Yong knocked before opening the door.

Hey what are my daughters talking about making you laugh so loud in the morning?”

Boys,” Jae-Mi shrugged.

I don't like that,” Tae-Yong laughed, “Don't fill the brain of your sister like that Jae-Mi. She's too young to think about boys too much and need to focus on studies.”

At this moment, Hye-Mi sighed. He was still seeing her as a little girl.

Girls, breakfast is ready. Come downstairs.”

We're coming,” Jae-Mi uttered, standing up.

Before following them, Hye-Mi sent a text message to Minhyuk telling him to have a good day. It was the beginning of a long list of messages.

All day long, they exchanged messages and phone calls when Minhyuk had free moments alone at work. Even if it was Saturday, he was at his firm. Before leaving the office, he called Hye-Mi, telling her he would come over to see her tonight.

Minhyuk: I’m here, come outside. I’m in my car parked across the street.”

As soon as she received the message, Hye-Mi ran downstairs.

Hey girl, where are you going so quickly?” Tae-Yong asked, coming from the living room.

Hye-Mi stoppped and winced.

I'm going out for a moment. It's...” she paused, “It's my friend, she has troubles with a new boyfriend. She just needs to talk a little.”

Not too long. Boyfriends,” Tae-Yong sighed, shaking his head.

Hye-Mi sighed and went outside. She looked for Minhyuk's car when she noticed headlights flashing from the right. She got in the passenger seat.

Hello honey,” she greeted, pecking Minhyuk's lips.

Hello, how are you doing?” he asked, glancing at her house.

Better now that I'm here,” she replied as she took his hand.

Minhyuk looked at her hand on his and smiled slightly at her touch.

What did you said to come here?” Minhyuk inquired, still glancing at the house.

My friend had an argument with her boyfriend. She wanted to talk,” she shrugged with a smile.

Good little liar,” Minhyuk smiled too.

Hye-Mi smiled before coming closer to her lover. She put her hand on Minhyuk's cheek and kissed him tenderly, before turning the kiss into a French kiss.

Hye-Mi...” Minhyuk uttered, breaking the kiss, “We should be careful, we're not far from...” he glanced at the house.

Yes,” she sighed, “But he doesn't suspect anything. Only...” she hesitated, “Only Jae-Mi, my sister knows,” she revealed, avoiding Minhyuk's look.

What?” Minhyuk asked, pretty angrily.

I'm sorry Minhyuk. She won't say anything, I swear. I was just so happy about us that I couldn't hide it from her. I know you think we're doing something wrong with no future but...”

Minhyuk looked at her sadly. He sighed and took her hand.

It's not that Hye-Mi. I want to be with you too. I have feelings for you.”

You do?”

Yes,” he smiled, “It's just it can only be like this. Secret dates, lies all the time to see me. You deserve better at 19, not a hidden love like this.”

I don't care about that. All I want is to be your woman,” Hye-Mi uttered, putting her hand on his cheek.

Minhyuk smiled, touched by her sincerity, before looking outside. At that moment, he saw Tae-Yong taking out the trash in front of the house. Minhyuk sighed, caressing Hye-Mi's hand on his lap. His girlfriend was rigjt, it was too late. They couldn't be just friends anymore.

Minhyuk?”

I'm sorry Tae-Yong,” he whispered, “You're right Hye-Mi. Come closer, I wan to kiss you right now.”

Hye-Mi smiled and leaned in. Minhyuk kissed her, sharing a tender and long kiss with his new love.

He knew that what he was doing was wrong and that one day, he'd probably paid for it. But it was too late, Minhyuk was falling in love and he decided to taste this forbidden love.