Chapter 2

Forbidden fruit

It's been already two weeks since Hey-Mi gave her number to Minhyuk. He didn't call her yet. Even if he would like to, it wouldn't be a good idea.

First, from what he saw when they met, Hye-Mi could be a risky temptation. She was beautiful, seemed smart and funny. Some qualities that Minhyuk liked in a woman. But, she also seemed to like clubbing and it wasn't the kind of places Minhyuk like to spend his time in.

Second thing, she was very young and more importantly she was Tae-Yong's daughter. This reason alone was enough to keep his distance from Hye-Mi. As Tae-Yong told him, they are like father and son and Minhyuk didn't want to break this. Being a lawyer, Minhyuk also knew what he'd be risking for dating or even having an affair with a young girl, even with her being of age.

This was a very busy day for Minhyuk. He and Tae-Yong were working on an important case. It was a homicide case that was the talk of the town. Everyday was fraught with new accusations, rumors a fair of sneaky reporters.

He was at “Park-Kang Law firm”, talking about the case with Tae-Yong.

Okay Minhyuk, we have a lot to do today. We've received a bunch of new documents and testimonies,” as he sighed, throwing the big file on the table, “Apparently, we'll have to listen a new version of the last witness.”

I don't think I'll do it,” Minhyuk stated, shrugging.

What? Wait Minhyuk, we need to see what new elements she can bring to us.”

Oh c'mon, why do you think she's changing her version? Last time we saw her, she was clear. She described perfectly what she saw. Like magic, one week later, she wants to tell us a new version.”

Do you think she was threatened?” Tae-Yong asked seriously.

Hmm no, just that,” Minhyuk said, putting a magazine on the table, “She told her testimony to the press but she barely got a cover. From the moment I met her, I felt she wasn't only there to help us.”

Why do you think that?” Tae-Yong asked.

How many witnesses for the defense, in such a high profile murder case came to court in a mini skirt and a tight shirt?” Minhyuk asked with a smile, “Oh and I forgot, also trying to seduce the lawyer,” as he pointed to himself.

Yes and God knows she'd have to work hard to get you,” Tae-Yong laughed, “You're not interested by women.”

It's not true, I like women,” Minhyuk laughed, “I just don't have time and the mind for dating. Anyway back to our case, I think we should wait before asking her to come back. My intuition tells me that she's going to turn to the competition or directly to the press.”

Okay let's trust your intuition. It's true that you have a pretty good one,” Tae-Yong smiled, “Now about...”

And on that note, they got back to working their case. They had a vigourous few hours of discussions before they finalized their plan on how to proceed. As he was about to leave the meeting room, Minhyuk noticed he missed a call.

Hmm I wonder who it is?” he inquired, as he didn't recognize the caller ID.

He listened to his voicemail and was surprised to hear it was Hye-Mi.

Hello Minhyuk, it's Hye-Mi, you know Tae-Yong's daughter. You haven't called me yet so I'm calling you. You can call me back if you want. I'll be happy if you do. Bye.”

Minhyuk hung up and chuckled, shaking his head, before Tae-Yong looked at him.

Oh what was that? Don't tell me you're up to something good tonight?” Tae-Yong asked, teasing.

No, it was my friend Jungshin,” Minhyuk shrugged, “I'm leaving. See you later.”

Minhyuk finally got back to his appartment, threw his key on his coffe table and fell on his couch with a file in his hand.

Damn, this day was tiring. And it's not even over,” he sighed.

He looked at his phone and saw Hye-Mi's missing call.

Maybe I can call her back. A phone call never killed anyone,” he sighed.

He dialled her number and waited patiently for her to pick up, sat on the edge of his couch.

Hello?” he finally heard.

Hye-Mi? Hello, it's Minhyuk.”

Minhyuk? I thought you would never call me.”

Yes, I've been working a lot. But can I ask you how you got my number for calling me earlier?”

Your my dad's partner!”

You asked him?” Minhyuk asked, raising an eyebrow.

Of course not. I checked on his phone when he was in the shower,” Hye-Mi smiled on the phone, “So how are you doing?”

Fine. I just got back from work and I still have some files to read,” he sighed.

Oh you're busy. Maybe I can call you later?”

No it's okay. I'm the one who called you and it allows me to have a break. And what about you? How are you doing?”

Well, like a girl who has to review for her English exam but beside that, I'm okay.”

English exam,” Minhyuk stated, surprised. He nearly forgot that Hye-Mi was still a student, “Are you doing well in class?”

I'm doing pretty good. So what were you up to since we met two weeks ago?”

Well, nothing special. The basic routine of work and work again,” Minhyuk laughed, “That about sums up everything. I had a tiring day full of discussions and decisions,” he sighed.

Discussions about what?”

The Choi case. You know, the big murder case everyone is talking about. We've got new testimonies and also new facts that we have to clarify. It probably sounds boring to you,” Minhyuk smiled.

No, not at all. Actually, I love what you and my dad do. I'll never be a lawyer like him but I like when he's talking about cases and stuff. He seems so passionate about being able to defend innocent people.”

It's great, but if you like our job so much, why you don't want to become a lawyer?” Minhyuk asked.

I wouldn't be able to defend someone I know is guilty. You know, I'm getting really mad when there's a murderer who we are sure is guilty and we try to lighten his sentence.”

I get your point, but as lawyers we have to defend everyone. And everyone has the right to be defended, even the biggest bastard,” Minhyuk pointed out.

I wouldn't be able to do it. I'd say to him, you put yourself into this mess, you killed a man so just go to jail,” Hye-Mi laughed.

Oh you would make a tough lawyer.”

Yes, I would kick some ,” Hye-Mi spoke proudly.

They both bursted into a big laugh.

You should watch your language young lady,” Minhyuk teased.

Say the man who used the word bastard earlier.”

Yes and I shouldn't have, but I'm a grown man little girl,” Minhyuk smiled on the phone.

Alright daddy, sorry,” Hye-Mi replied with the voice of a little girl.

Minhyuk chuckled. He found Hye-Mi very cute and funny.

Hey Minhyuk, by the way, you had really great taste. The dress you picked for me last time wasa hit. All the boys were looking at me. Thanks Minhyuk.”

Oh well, I'm happy for you then,” he gave the hint of smile, “But did they only look at you? I mean they didn't try...” Minhyuk asked, clearing his throat.

What are you thinking? I'm not going to clubs for this kind of thing. I'm a respectable woman,” Hye-Mi admonished.

It's fine, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be rude or anything,” Minhyuk uttered, embarrassed.

No it's alright, I'm not annoyed.”

And then the silence. Hye-Mi said she wasn't annoyed but Minhyuk could feel she was.

It's just men can be you know...I don't want a bad thing to happen to you...” he uttered softly.

I know. Actually something happened to me a couple of weeks ago...” Hye-Mi finally said, slowly.

What do you mean something happened?” Minhyuk asked, concerned.

Well, I was in a club and a man grabbed me by the hand, bringing me to a dark corner of the club.”

Hmm hmm,” Minhyuk uttered, concerned, “Then what happened?”

Well...We were kind of making out, I mean flirting and stuff...” she replied, ill at ease, “We kissed but after that, he was gone just like that.”

He left right after kissing you?”

Yes, I know I just said I was a respectable woman,” she chuckled, “But it was strange, maybe he did that on purpose.”

On purpose? That is strange...And...Did you enjoy it?” Minhyuk asked, clearing his throat.

Well...I did, he was kissing pretty well.”

Alright. Good for you,” Minhyuk stated, feeling stangely jealous.

But why he stopped is a mystery,” Hye-Mi sighed.

Minhyuk didn't reply right away, he was thinking.

Hmm, maybe he realised you were too young for him. You know, he was attracted by you and he started to flirt with you but then he realised that he was making out with a very young girl,” Minhyuk offered.

So you think he was older than me?” Hye-Mi asked, not convinced.

Well I was trying to find an explanation for why someone could push you away,” Minhyuk frowned to what he just said, “I mean...”

Maybe it can be that. But I'm 19, I'm of age for everything.”

Yes but legally speaking, even if you're of age, he can have some troubles if your dad wants to file a complaint or even if you did.”

Maybe. Anyway, I'm glad I told you. If I had told my dad about this, he would have freaked out,” she laughed, “Thank you for listening.”

You're welcome,” Minhyuk smiled.

Well, I should go back to my English study and you have work to do. Like usual, I talked more than I should. I already talked about private things with you, you must feel ill at ease.”

No it's fine. I enjoyed talking to you actually,” Minhyuk admitted as he smiled.

Yes me too. We should do it more often.”

Sure.”

Bye Minhyuk,” Hye-Mi smiled.

Bye Hye-Mi.”

Minhyuk hung up after their first conversation together and he found it very pleasant. Hye-Mi was a nice and funny woman. She was also very beautiful and attractive.

But Hye-Mi couldn't be anything more than his friend, the daughter of one of his close friend. Even if it'll be hard to keep this growing attraction he had for Hye-Mi a secret.