Chapter 3

Forbidden fruit

This morning, Minhyuk was quite happy to wake up. He knew that for once, he wouldn't have a busy day. He'll have the time to rest and breath a little after several weeks of a busy schedule.

For this day, he only planned to go to see Tae-Yong to talk about some elements of their case, but especially to hang out with his friend apart from work. He was also very happy to go there because it'd be a reason to possibly see Hye-Mi.

Hye-Mi and he have been talkinh on the phone a lot since thir first call a few weeks agao, but Minhyuk had missed seeing her in person. Minhyuk had become very attached to Hye-Mi, and it was always a pleasure to get to see him. Unfortunately, due to their busy schedule, it barely happened.

After cleaning his apartment, Minhyuk finally drove to Tae-Yong's house.

Hi partner,” Tae-Yong greeted him.

Hi Tae-Yong,” Minhyuk greeted and hugged his friend, “You're calling me partner on a day off?” Minhyuk smiled.

What? Do you prefer buddy or whatever the young people called their friends?” Tae-Yong laughed.

No partner would be fine.”

They walked in the house, laughing.

Why are you both laughing like that?” Mee-Na, Tae-Yong's wife asked, coming from the kitchen.

Hello Mee-Na,” Minhyuk greeted her with a big smile, “Still so pretty,” he complimented, smiling at her.

And you, always so charming,” she smiled back at him.

Minhyuk then looked around. He was looking for Hye-Mi in a hope she'd come to greet him.

Are you looking for something?” Tae-Yong asked him.

Hmm well...Hye-Mi isn't here?” he asked, “I mean, I wanted to say hi. It's been awhile since I've seen her.”

Oh she's at school. I guess she'll be back in...” as Mee-Na leaned to see the clock, “an hour. Yes, around an hour.”

Okay, I guess I'll see her later then,” Minhyuk replied, slightly disappointed.

Hey c'mon Minhyuk since you don't like when I call you partner on a day off,” Tae-Yong uttered in a smile.

I didn't say that,” Minhyuk laughed.

Anyway, come with me. I want ti show you my newest upgrade. I installed a state of the art sound system in one of the rooms. You know I'm a music love just like you. I have some great stuffs we can listen.”

You have your own music room? That's awesome, I'll be happy to see that,” Minhyuk declared, very enthusiastically.

So let's go, we'll talk about the case later.”

Have fun guys!” Mee-Na screamed to them as they left.

They went to the music room and spent some time listening to music. Then they went to Tae-Yong's office and started to talk about the case.

Finally they worked on it more than planned and after nearly 2 hours being locked into Tae-Yong's office, it was time for a break.

Hey Minhyuk, why don't you go to the kitchen and grab a drink while I'm calling the prosecutor?”

Oh yes sure,” as Minhyuk stood up.

And don't get lost again!” Tae-Yong screamed at him, laughing.

Minhyuk didn't answer and just waved at him, without turning around.

He went to the kitchen to get some drinks. At the doorway, he saw that Hye-Mi was finally home from class.

She was totally slumped on her school books, a pen in her hand. She looked totally desperate, sighing from time to time.

Minhyuk smiled and finally joined her.

Hey Hye-Mi.”

Hey Minhyuk, I didn't know you were here,” she smiled.

Yes, I'm here to work with your father and he showed me his music room.”

Oh his new toy, wonderful,” she stated, rolling her eyes.

It's a really great system, you know. So what about you? What are you doing?”

Homeworks,” she sighed.

Math...” Minhyuk uttered, as he lifted the book to read the title.

Really boring, I hate math. It's just not interesting and it's completely useless.”

Don't say it's useless. It develops your reasoning and your scientific mind, which can be handy for a journalist.”

Hye-Mi looked at him, completely shocked.

Anyway, do you want some help?” Minhyuk inquired with a slight smile.

I don't believe that lawyers know anything about math,” Hye-Mi stated, chuckling.

Well, it might not be the most important class for us, but I was still pretty good in math. Let me show you,” as he made her a sign to move from her seat.

Hye-Mi looked at him and sighed, before sitting on the stool next to him. Minhyuk put the book in front of him and took a sheet of paper.

Alright, what do we have here?” Minhyuk inquired, frowning while reading the wording,” Okay I see, well let's try it,” he uttered, smiling wildly at Hye-Min.

Hye-Mi smiled back, finding Minhyuk's eye-smile very charming.

Minhyuk began to write things down before erasing. He wrote some more and erased it again. Hye-Mi sighed next to him.

It's not hard, if a=3 on that line,” Minhyuk wondered, rubbing his chin, “so b=...10 here. No, it's not that,” he sighed, erasing again.

Hye-Mi exhaled a bit loudly. Her homeworks won't be done anytime soon.

Are you sure you know stuff about math and equations?”

Yes yes. But if you'd stop sighing every second, it would be really waaayyy better,” Minhyuk uttered, looking at the girl.

Okay, I'm zipping my mouth,” as she demonstrated making the zipping motion, while putting her head on her hand, nonchalantly.

Minhyuk began to concentrate again and Hye-Mi looked at him, smiling. She found him really cute even more when he was focused. Minhyuk was chewing his pen, twirling the pen in an impressive manner between his fingers or biting his lips in concentration. Hye-Mi was just staring at him, feeling an unexplainable attraction. Minhyuk was older than her, he was a very mature and responsible man but he looked like a little boy at this moment. He looked younger than his age and Hye-Mi couldn't deny that she felt very puzzled by her father's close friend.

That's it! I got it!” Minhyuk declared, nearly screaming.

Hye-Mi jumped in shock. She was focused on contemplating Minhyuk, she zoned out a bit.

Hey you scared me, are you crazy?” she uttered as she slapped Minhyuk's arm.

Sorry but it's done. I figured it out,” Minhyuk replied, grinning in a cute way, like a proud child.

Hye-Mi chuckled in front of his cuteness, before looking at what Minhyuk wrote, understanding nothing.

Well, that's good. I guess there is hope for you yet,” Hye-Mi responded ans smiled.

Yes, I hope so. See, I can do math!” Minhyuk winked.

Hye-Mi just stuck her tongue out as an answer and they burst out laughing.

Anyway Minhyuk...” as Hye-Mi stood up, wrapping her arm around Minhyuk's neck, “That was nice of you to help me,” she uttered, before kissing his cheek, “Thank you,” she thanked, combing her hand in Munhyuk's hair.

Minhyuk looked at her pretty puzzled by her behavior, before smiling.

Well, you're welcome.” he replied in a slight smile.

Hye-Mi left the room after smiling one last time at him. Minhyuk waved goodbye to her before putting his hand on the cheek Hye-Mi kissed, smiling slightly.

After a few seconds lost in his thoughts, Minhyuk came back to reality.

Oh, the drinks.” as he slapped his hand on his forehead.

He walked to the cupboard and took two glasses when he heard footsteps coming from behind him.

You're just getting the glasses now?” Tae-Yong inquired, surprised, “Did you get lost again or what?”

Lost in my thoughts, yeah,” Minhyuk mumbled to himself, “Actually, I just crossed Hye-Mi and we were talking, that's all,” he shrugged, putting the glasses on the tray.

Tae-Yong came closer and stared at him.

You didn't just speak with her...” his friend stated, staring at Minhyuk.

What? I mean...” Minhyuk answered, uncomfortable under Tae-Yong's staring.

Your hair is in a mess and it's not your style. You're never untiday,” Tae-Yong uttered, pointing to Minhyuk's hair.

Oh, it's nothing,” Minhyuk cleared his throat, scratching his head, “Hye-Mi wanted to show me a more modern hairstyle.”

Yes yes,” Tae-Yong said looking at him, “You shouldn't let her touch you like that. So take the drink and join me. We're nearly done on the case for today.”

Yes sure.”

Tae-Yong left and Minhyuk sighed in relief.

What am I doing with his daughter?” Minhyuk asked himself, shaking his head.

He took the tray and left the kitchen.

Minhyuk and Hye-Mi were becoming closer but Minhyuk felt that they were playing a dangerous game. But there again, there was nothing wrong with being friends.