Chapter 4

Forbidden fruit

It was Saturday and Hye-Min was happy to know she would spend the afternoon with Minhyuk. Hye-Min called him a week ago to ask her for help on a law project she had to fulfill for school. She could have asked her own father, but it was a great excuse to see Minhyuk and to be alone with him.

Since they had met again after having gone years without seeing each other; and since they have started being friends, Hye-Mi was always thinking about Minhyuk. He was attractive, smart and he was a forbidden fantasy as he was older and her father's friend.

Hye-Mi was in her bedroom, getting ready. She opened her wardrobe and stood still in front of her clothes. She was going through it without finding anything to wear. She suddenly stopped and sighed in desperation.

I'm being quite ridiculous. It's not a date, I'm just gonna pick this. Yes, that's great.”

Now that she was dressed, she looked at her reflection in the mirror. She picked a pair of denim jean and a light blue blouse.

It's fine, it's casual but also pretty. Minhyuk loves pretty girls, I'm sure. Oooh I'm hopeless,” as she shook her head.

She left her bedroom and went downstairs. She took the key of her car and was about to leave the house when she heard footsteps behind her.

Hey Hye-Mi, where are you going being dressed all pretty like that?” Tae-Yong asked, coming from the living room.

I told you dad, I'm going to Minhyuk's. I asked him to help me with my law project. I have to go, I'm gonna be late.”

I really don't get why you didn't ask me. Do I have to remind you that you have a lawyer as a father?”

I know but you'll put pressure on me. You want me to be better than good in everything I'm doing, that if I need further explanations or have questions, I'm worried you'd lose patience with me. I think Minhyuk will be a good teacher,” she shrugged, “He seems very calm and patient.”

Hmmm okay, but why are you dressed up for only working on a school project?” Tae-Yong questioned, looking at her from head to toe.

It's casual dad. We're just friends and you know Minhyuk so you have nothing to be worried about. I'm safe,” she smiled.

Alright, go ahead now. And say hi for me.”

Sure I will. Bye dad!” she said, before kissing his cheek.

She started the car and drove to Minhyuk's place. It will be the first time she'd go there and she was hoping it won't be the last. She finally arrived and parked the car at the bottom of pretty big building.

Well, from the outside it looks like a residential building but I would have expected better, like a house,” she stated, looking at the building again.

Hye-Mi rang the intercome, waiting for Minhyuk to open the building door. She took the elevator and arrived in front of Minhyuk's door that was already open.

She slowly came in and was surprised by the simplicity of the place, it was pretty big though. Everything looked so neat for a man who was living alone.

Hey Hye-Mi, you made your way in. Hi!” Minhyuk greeted coming from the kitchen.

Oh hello,” Hye-Mi smiled, “You seem to have a pretty big place, even if I wasn't expecting this.”

And what did you expect instead?” Minhyuk asked, closing the door.

I don't know, kind of like my house I guess. You know a pretty big house with a great garden. You and dad are both making some good money as lawyers so...”

Wait, do you know how much this place is costing me per month?” Minhyuk asked with a slight smile.

No,” Hye-Mi shrugged.

So don't criticize. I'm not so much into big houses. I'm more into these kind of places for now,” he smiled.

It wasn't a criticism, I like it a lot. It's just something I'd picture a younger person could live in but...”

Stop it with my age little girl, I'm not that old!” Minhyuk laughed.

And stop thinking I'm a little kid,” Hye-Mi added as she came closer to Minhyuk.

Oh yeah, you're so grown up,” Minhyuk teased.

I can be more mature than you think,” she uttered, patting Minhyuk's cheek before walking away.

Minhyuk chuckled, slightly embarrassed and went to his dining table.

Okay, so maybe we could just start working on this law project,” Minhyuk said, trying to get things back to a safer track.

Sure, let's go.”

They sat around the table and Hye-Mi took her books and files from her bag.

So what's the project?”

Well it's a fictional domestic violence case. We have to find if there's any previous jurisprudence and then try to elaborate an opening statement for the defence.”

Okay so let's get to work.”

They began to work on Hye-Min's law project. She wa simpressed by the amazing knowledge of Minhyuk and by the passion he had for his job. Law class seemed so boring at first for Hye-Mi, but listenning to Minhyuk talk about it, suddenly made it becoming more fascinating.

On his side, Minhyuk was pretty impressed by the intelligence of the young girl and also by her maturity. She was understanding everything, asking the good questions which allowed them to progress pretty fast on the project. He couldn't help to be also intrigued by her beauty. Minhyuk never thought he would be attracted to a teenager, even if age never really bothered him. But with Hye-Mi, it was different; it was like he had no control over it.

As Minhyuk read the first draft of Hye-Mi's plea, a big smile adorned his face.

Your eye-smile is beautiful,” Hye-Mi stated with a smile.

What?” Minhyuk inquired, lifting his eyes from the sheet of paper.

I said you have a beautiful eye-smile.”

Well, I don't really like it but thanks I guess,” Minhyuk thanked, clearing his throat and before taking a gulp of his water bottle.

It must be hard for the jury and the judges to concentrate in court when you're giving your arguments.”

I'm not usually smiling in court, so I think it's safe that they can focus on what I'm saying. Believe me, it's really more interesting than my smile.”

I wouldn't say that,” Hye-Mi uttered with a slight smile, “And even when you're not smiling, when you're just talking, you're...” she paused, “You're puzzling.”

Alright,” Minhyuk cleared his throat, “Maybe we should try to finish this,” he smiled slightly at Hye-Mi who nodded, smiling.

They spent a long time working and talking about law for the project. So long that it was already time for dinner.

Wow, it's already 7:00pm,” Minhyuk uttered, stretching in a sigh.

It's that late? Maybe...we could order some food. I'm starting to be hungry,” Hye-Mi uttered, looking at her stomach which made a light noise.

You want to stay here for dinner?”

Well we're nearly done. Let's end this and then I don't want to talk about this law project anymore. “

Alright, but call Tae-Yong first. I'll order our food. I know a very good ramen restaurant, is it okay for you?”

Perfect,” Hye-Mi smiled wildly as Minhyuk stood up from the dining table.

Hye-Mi called her house and the food arrived, the dinner could begin.

So tell me Hye-Mi, I didn't ask but why did you ask me to help you while you have a lawyer as a father?” Minhyuk asked, before eating his noodles.

My dad is great but he can be also very pressuring. He wants me to succeed, which is good, but he doesn't always realise that he's pushing too hard sometimes.”

Many parents want their kids to succeed and have a good place in society. That can be a good thing you know.”

I know but...See how great we just worked together? It was because I could give my ideas and if I was wrong, you would just explain me why I was. You weren't making me feel like I was stupid or that I was unbale to understand a small thing. It was a give and take approach and I liked it,” Hye-Mi smiled.

Well, you are smart Hye-Mi. You get things pretty quickly,” Minhyuk uttered, giving the hint of a smile.

Thank you but I had a great teacher. You know, I think you should teach.”

I thought about it for a time,” Minhyuk smiled, “I always loved to share things with people, but I gave up that idea. I already have a lot of work as a lawyer.”

Why did you want to be a lawyer?”

I don't know exactly,” Minhyuk pouted, “I think I was always passionate about criminal cases and the investigations behind the cases. I love to solve mysteries,” he smiled, “Also, I was fascinated by the fact that people like us, ordinary people, could actually be able to save innocent people in way.”

Like a superhero?” Hye-Mi laughed.

No, not like that. The idea can be great though,” Minhyuk smiled, “I'm definitely not one.”

Well, I think my dad thinks he's one,” Hye-Mi uttered, pouting, “Sometimes, he really thinks he's a kind of Batman or something, saving the woman in distress,” she laughed.

At least, he's not wearing tights,” Minhyuk chuckled.

Oh Minhyuk, don't make me imagine my dad in tights.”

They looked at each other and burst out laughing. Minhyuk's laugh was one of the cutest and beautiful sound Hye-Mi ever head.

It's not a good vision, you're right,” he stated, shaking his head.

Really not,” Hye-Mi smiled, “Speaking of superheros, do you have any movies we can watch? Superman? Batman?”

You like that kind of movies?” Minhyuk asked, raising an eyebrow.

Sure,” she shrugged, “Girls don't always love only romantic comedies and dramas,” she smiled.

Alright, if you want,” Minhyuk shrugged.

We worked so well, but for so long, we need to relax. I'll go home after. Do you have any pop corn?”

Hey Ms Park, you're asking a lot don't you think?” Minhyuk inquired, frowning.

I'm still a teenager, we're always demanding.”

Alright. I don't have pop corn but you may find some chips and snacks in the the closet right here,” he pointed to the kitchen, “I'll check the movies.”

Hye-Mi came back from the kitchen and sat on the couch with a bowl of chips, while Minhyuk was looking for a movie.

What do you want to watch? I have Superman, Iron Man, Captain America...Yes, I love Marvel movies,” he smiled.

Oh Captain America, I love this movie and Chris Evans is really handsome.”

Does he?” Minhyuk asked, feeling quite jealous, “Well, it's an important factor in a movie yes,” he rolled his eyes.

Minhyuk put the DVD in the player and sat next to Hye-Mi on the couch. Sometimes, Hye-Mi would glance at Minhyuk and couldn't help to find him handsome. He was very masculine and cute at the same time. She felt good with him, despite their age difference. Minhyuk was her friend but she knew he could have been more if they met under different circumstances.

Minhyuk would also glance at the young girl from time to time, finding her more and more beautiful. He was actually melting any time she was smiling with her beautiful smile. She looked cute like a young girl could be, but a maturity was also coming from her. Even if he couldn't forget that Hye-Mi was only a teenager and the daughter of his close friend, Minhyuk couldn't deny that he was enjoying feeling Hye-Mi by his side.

When Minhyuk wanted to take some chips from the bowl, his hand slowly brushed Hye-Mi's hand.

Oh sorry,” Minhyuk said with a shy smile.

No it's fine,” she smiled.

Minhyuk looked at his phone and it was already pretty late.

Hye-Mi, I think you should go. It's getting late,” he stated with a slight smile.

Wait...Maybe...I can stay here,” Hye-Mi uttered shyly, “I mean it would be safer. It's so late at night and I wouldn't feel right to be on the road. It's Saturday night, I could come across drunk drivers and stuff...” she stated, looking down.

I can drive you back if you want,” he shrugged.

Well...It can be dangerous for you too and you drank beer so...”

Minhyuk sighed and thought for a moment. He didn't want her to drive back home alone and he didn't really want to go out either. But, allowing her to stay the night at his place wasn't a good idea, even if nothing have to happen between them.

Alright. I'll think it could be better,” he sighed, “I'll sleep on the couch and you'll sleep in my room.”

No I'll take the couch. I'm bothering you for staying so, it'll be fine,” she smiled, “It's a very comfy couch,” as she jumped on it.

Fine, let me just get some stuff. Oh and my sister probably left one or two things from her last visit. I'll see if I find something you can wear.”

Thank you.”

Minhyuk left and came back a few minutes later with a cover, a pillow and a pink pajamas.

My sister always forget something,” he sighed, “Look what I found you. Everything for a good night,” he smiled.

But despite her smile, he noticed the serious face of Hye-Mi.

What?”

Well actually...I'm not sure my father will be ok with that. Me staying at your house...He's very on me since I came back from Japan.”

Hmm you're right. I hadn't thought about that either,” he sighed, scratching his head, “Let me call him. We're just friends after all and he trusts me. You can change into my bedroom right here while I call him.”

Hye-Mi nodded and went into the bedroom while Minhyuk called Tae-Yong in the living room.

Tae-Yong? Hi, it's Minhyuk.”

Hey Minhyuk, how are you doing? Is Hye-Mi still at your place?”

I'm fine and yes, speaking of that...I wanted to know if it's okay for Hye-Mi to stay at my place tonight?” he asked, nervously.

And why that Minhyuk?” Tae-Yong inquired firmly.

Well...” as Minhyuk cleared his throat, “It's pretty late so we thought it could be safer than taking the road on a Saturday night. I would have drive her myself but I took some beer so...”

I don't know. It's true that in your neighborhood there's some clubs and bars so it's not always safe. Alright, but you'll sleep on the couch, right? And even if you drank some beer, you're still aware of what you're doing?”

Of course. I'm not drunk and I'll sleep on the couch,” Minhyuk replied, nervously.

It's okay Minhyuk, I was just teasing you. I know you're not that kind of guy and Hye-Mi is like a sister to you. Tell Hye-Mi I said goodnight, okay?”

Sure, I will. Bye Tae-Yong.”

Minhyuk hung up and sighed.

Damn, he made me nervous for a moment,” he sighed.

He walked to his bedroom and knocked on the door.

Hye-Mi, can I come in or not?”

Sure, I'm done.”

So your dad said...” he uttered, opening the door but stopped, noticing Hye-Mi in his bed, “Hye-Mi? What are you doing in my bed?”

Well, I wondered if we can share your bed for tonight. I said I'll be fine with your couch but I kind of lie and...” she uttered, playing with her fingers in a cute way, “I don't like sleeping alone in a room in a place I don't know...” she pouted.

Minhyuk sighed, knowing that this last sentence was probably a lie.

I just want to...We're friends, we can share a bed,” she shrugged.

Minhyuk looked at her, biting his low lip nervously and thought about what Tae-Yong told him on the phone. He wasn't that kind of guy...But after all, there was nothing wrong with sharing a bed with someone. Nothing was going to happen because he was indeed a good man and he would never attempt anything bad.

Alright,” he sighed, “Let me change my clothes.”

Hye-Mi nodded and Minhyuk went into his bathroom. When he came back, weaing his nightwear, Hye-Mi stared at him as he walked in. Even dressed in a t-shirt and a bottom of pajamas, he looked handsome.

Minhyuk slowly slid himself under the sheets, next to Hye-Mi. They stayed silent, both looking at the ceiling.

Well, goodnight Minhyuk,” Hye-Mi smiled, looking at him.

Yeah goodnight,” he smiled back.

Hye-Mi slowly leaned in to kiss Minhyuk's cheek and then her side. Hye-Mi's back was to Minhyuk, and he was staring at her. Hye-Mi was in his bed, lying next to him and he loved it. When she moved, her leg slowly brushed Minhyuk's who gasped from the touch.

Minhyuk felt excitement, just from looking at the young girl in his bed. She was beautiful while she was sleeping, her long hair spread on the pillow.

I can't feel this. I need to relax,” he sighed, before glancing at Hye-Mi, “It won't be good if I'm feeling this. I can't be attracted by her anymore,” he stated, looking at the ceiling.