Chapter 8

Forbidden fruit

Several days went by since Minhyuk erased Hye-Mi's phone number from his phone. It was a hard decision to make and he was realizing that he missed her more than he thought he would.

Their conversations, their laughing together, Hye-Mi's soft and sometimes seductive voice...He missed everything about her, but he was sure that distance would be the best for both of them. The less time they spent together, the less their fobidden attraction would grow.

He never gave any explanations about his decision to Hye-Mi. Overnight, he erased her from his phone and from his life. He knew this decision was probably hurting Hye-Mi even more. The teenager was calling him every day, sending hum e-mails but Minhyuk never answered back.

The same question was always present in Hye-Mi's message: : Why? A question to which Minhyuk could find many answers if he wanted but without telling her the most honest one: his attraction for a teen.

Minhyuk was at the law firm. It was 9:00am and he was waiting for a meeting to begin with the lawyers working with him. The Park-Kang firm was a very successful one and more and more cases were coming. During the meeting, he would allocate the cases to his co-workers.

He was sat in the big meeting room, waiting for his partners to arrive. He was talking with Hae-Jin, his assistant, when his phone vibrated. He took his phone and sighed. It was another text message from Hye-Mi. Even if he erased the number, he recognized it right away. He already knew her phone number by heart.

Hye-Mi: “Minhyuk, call me please.”

Minhyuk sighed, rubbing the phone screen with his thumb.

Mr Kang, are you alright?” Hae-Jin asked him, “It seems you heard bad news.”

Hmmm?” Minhyuk looked at her, “No, it’s nothing,” he replied, putting his phone back in his pocket.

His co-coworkers arrived a few minutes later and the meeting began. While Minhyuk was presenting the differenct cases, his phone vibrated several times and most of the time, it was Hye-Mi.

Around 10:00am, someone softly knocked on the meeting room door.

Yes?” Minhyuk asked.

Sorry to disturb you Mr.Kang, but someone is here to see you.”

Well, I’m in the middle of a meeting. Can you ask this person to wait, please?” Minhyuk uttered, “Who wants to see me?”

It’s Mr. Park's daughter.”

Minhyuk froze hearing the name. Hye-Mi was there and he didn't know what to do. After all, he could say he was busy and avoid her again but maybe he should just talk to her. Maybe he should ask her to strop trying to contact him.

Okay, I'm coming,” he sighed, standing up.

But Mr Kang, you can’t leave, we need to…”

You know the assignments Hae-Jin and you can wait for me if you want. Actually, everyone go and take a coffee break, I won’t be long,” Minhyuk said, leaving the room.

Minhyuk walked to the hall where Hye-Mi was waiting for him. She was looking at some awards the firm received over the years, hanging on the walls. Minhyuk sighed and joined her.

Hye-Mi?”

Hello Minhyuk,” she greeted, turning around to face him.

Hello, how'd you know I’d be here?”

It’s your firm and I asked my father. I told him I had a book I need to give back to you. Whatever, how are you doing?”

I’m fine, what about you?”

Fine, if we don’t mention the fact that you've been completely ignoring me.”

Hye-Mi…” Minhyuk sighed, looking down.

Why did you do that? You could at least give me an explanation,” she uttered, raising her voice, making people to look at them.

Hye-Mi, not here. Come with me,” Minhyuk uttered, taking her arm.

He led her into an empty meeting room. He closed the door and then the silence.

You don't have school?” he asked, nervously.

At 11:30am, absent teacher,” she replied, firmly.

Oh I see...”

More silence again. Minhyuk was staring at the walls while Hye-Mi was staring at him.

So Minhyuk, what's wrong? It's time to give an explanation, don't you think?”

Hye-Mi, there's nothing to say. I made a decision and it's...”

It's like that?” she cut him off firmly, “I just have to agreed and respect whatever decision you've made without knowing why?”

No, it's not that,” Minhyuk replied, embarrassed.

Of course it is. So what was that decision clearly?”

I think...I think we must stop seeing each other,” he stated, looking down, “Keep some distance.”

Hye-Mi's face suddenly saddened.

You made this decision by yourself. Did you think about me at all? About what I would like?”

That's why I couldn't tell you. That's why I acted so cowardly because...” Minhyuk paused, “I wouldn't be able to see your beautiful face being sad again,” he explained, looking at her.

You failed,” Hye-Mi said sadly, “Minhyuk, please don't do this. Don't ignore me,” she pleaded, coming closer to him.

Hye-Mi, I'm sorry but it's better for you.”

Only for me?”

No, for both of us,” he sighed.

Minhyuk noticed Hye-Mi's sad expression and looked down, to avoid this painful vision.

It's not fair. All I wanted was to be with you,” she gazed at Minhyuk, “Don't you want it? You kissed me, I know you want it. I know you feel what I feel.”

I want to be with you but...not in the way you'd hope.”

Hearing his own words made Minhyuk's heart wrench. He wanted to be with Hye-Mi even if he tried to fight this irrational attraction. He was falling for a teenager but he refused to let his feelings win.

Okay now it's clearer. I'll leave you alone then. I just wanted...to be with you,” Hye-Mi uttered, passing next to Minhyuk and leaving the room.

Minhyuk turned around and watched her as she left. He fell on the chair next to him and rubbed his neck with his hand. After a moment, he finally went back to the meeting room.

Well, you took some time,” Hae-Jin remarked as Minhyuk sat down, “Anything wrong?”

No, everything is fine. So about the Kim case...” he started, looking at the file in front of him.

The meeting finally ended and Minhyuk spent the day working on different cases but moreover, he spent the day thinking about Hye-Mi. He thought about her sad face earlier in the morning, to the harm he probably did to her, to their friendship which was so great but which ended in the worst way it could.

Minhyuk also thought about the arm his decision was causing him. He hated to Hye-Mi so sad and hurt, knowing he was the reason why. He hurt her because he wasn't able to handle the truth. He had feelings for her no matter if he wanted those feelings or not.

He was in his office, working with Tae-Yong. While Tae-Yong was talking, Minhyuk had his head in the palm of his hand, twirling his pen through his fingers. His mind was still focused on Hye-Mi.

Hey Minhyuk, are you listening to me? What are you thinking about like that?”

Oh nothing in particular,” he shrugged.

Really? I'm sure it's about a woman.”

Yes,” Minhyuk sighed, “For once it is. A woman with whom I don't know what to do.”

Is it complicated?”

Very…” Minhyuk sighed, rubbing his neck.

You know Minhyuk, I'm maybe not the best one for giving love advices but it's been awhile since you dated someone. I'm happy that you're a devoted lawyer and partner but you should think about your private life too. Is she a criminal?”

No! Don't worry about that. There are just many reasons we shouldn't be together,” Minhyuk sighed.

Maybe but if you feel you want to be with this person, shouldn't you give it a try?”

Minhyuk looked at him and smirked, if only Tae-Yong knew who this person was.

I don't know.”

Hey, you have nothing big to lose except a woman who's waiting to start something with you. If it doesn't work, at least you gave it a try,” Tae-Yong shrugged with a smile.

Minhyuk knew that he could lose more than a woman, he could lose his close friend, who always trusted him like his own son since the day they met. But he wondered for an instant, what could be more regrettable: losing a friendship or the possibility to live a love story?

I'll leave you to your thoughts Minhyuk,” Tae-Yong uttered as he stood up, putting his hand on his partner's shoulder, “See you.”

Minhyuk smiled at him and Tae-Yong left the room. Minhyuk sighed and thought for a few minutes before taking his phone to type a message to Hye-Mi.

Minhyuk: “Hye-Mi, will you join me at Yongsan Family Park at 6:00pm?”

He waited for a few seconds for an answer, wondering if he did the right thing. Finally, he received a text message.

Hye-Mi: “I'll be there waiting for you. I want to see you.”

Minhyuk sighed but smiled at the same time, putting his phone back in his pocket.

6:00pm finally arrived and Minhyuk drove to Yongsan Family Park. When he parked his car, he saw Hye-Mi already waiting for him at the entrance. He sighed and got out of the car to meet her.

Hi Hye-Mi,” he greeted with a slight smile.

Hello Minhyuk, I was a little early,” she stated with a smile.

It's alright. So maybe we should go and sit somewhere quiet,” Minhyuk said, glancing at the park.

Sure.”

They walked in silence, side by side, through the park before sitting on a bench away from prying eyes. Minhyuk was rubbing his hands on his thighs nervously, staring in front of him.

"So why did you ask me to come here?” Hye-Mi finally asked.

Well...First, I wanted to apologize for my behavior. It wasn't nice to ignore you like I did. It hurt you and I'm really sorry for that,” he apologized, looking at Hye-Mi, embarrassed.

Yes, it did hurt me. I'm ready to accept your apologies if you really explain to me why you did it. It wasn't only because we kissed, was it?”

In part, it was. The other reason...” he paused, “was it flustered me. Your behaviour and our kiss flustered me,” he stated in a sigh.

It did?” Hye-Mi inquired with a slight smile.

Yes and I didn't know how to react. You were on a side and Tae-Yong was on the other.”

My dad? What does he have to do with this?” Hye-Mi asked, surprised.

A lot. He's one of my closest friend, he'd kill me to know that you flustered me,” Minhyuk smiled.

For sure,” she smiled back.

And there's also the fact that I'm 26 and you're 19.”

Age is nothing but a number. Who cares?” Hye-Mi shrugged.

C'mon Hye-Mi, you look young and people will wonder if you're not my little sister or something,” he sighed.

You don't look your age contrary to how I used to tease you. People wouldn't see the that much. Is it important what people might think about us?”

Minhyuk didn't reply and looked down.

Tell me Minhyuk, why did you come here? What do you like in me that flustered you?”

Is it important?”

Hye-Mi nodded and stared at him.

Well, you're...” he paused, before gazing in Hye-Mi's dark eyes, “You're an amazing, smart young lady. I can feel you have a big heart, you tend to resist authority because you know what you worth. Despite your young age, you''re actually pretty mature. I feel that I'd have a hard time winning an argument with you even if I'm older because you're confident,” Minhyuk smiled, “And if you'd want to, you could become a better lawyer than I am.”

You really love all of that?” Hye-Mi asked, embarrassed.

No, it's actually just a little sampling,” Minhyuk answered, smiling.

They stared at each other before Minhyuk smiled and slowly approached Hye-Mi. He took a breath, his lips before placing his hand behind Hye-Mi's neck and leaning to kiss her. He broke the kiss and looked at her who smiled wildly before Minhyuk kissed her again.

While kissing Minhyuk; Hye-Mi put her hand behind his neck. Minhyuk spared his lips, feeling Hye-Mi's tongue caressing them. As they shared a passionate French kiss, Minhyuk pulled Hye-Mi even closer to him, deepening the kiss.

They stopped for a few seconds, catching their breath and stared at each other's eyes. Minhyuk caressed Hye-Mi's cheek before she kissed his lips in a quick kiss, before hugging Minhyuk. He wrapped his arms around her, holding her close.

They could feel their heart beating fast in their chest.

I'm glad you changed your mind,” Hye-Mi uttered, in a whisper.

Minhyuk smiled, caressing his now lover's head.

After their embrace, they stayed together, talking and taking advantage of the discretion of the park, to explore their new relationship.

Hye-Mi, I think it's time for you to go back home,” Minhyuk uttered, putting a lock of Hye-Mi's hair behind her ear, softly.

No, I want to stay with you longer,” as she took his hand, pleading like a little girl.

Stop being childish, girl. It's time to go home,” Minhyuk smiled lovingly, “Let's go.”

They both stood up and looked at each other.

When will I see you again?” Hye-Mi's asked, taking Minhyuk's hand.

I don't know, soon I guess. I hope,” he smiled.

I'll think about you all time,” Hye-Mi uttered, cutely.

Minhyuk chuckled and pulled Hye-Mi by the hand.

Come here.”

He wrapped his arm around Hye-Mi's neck before kissing her tenderly.

You'll think about me too?” Hye-Mi asked.

Of course,” he replied, smiling.

The two lovers left the park and Minhyuk sat in his car. He brushed his lips with his finger before sighing. He sat in his car for a few moments, just thinking, before starting it.

He finally arrived to his apartment and sat on the couch, when his phone vibrated.

Hye-Mi: “It was the best end of day I could dream of. Waiting to see you soon.”

Minhyuk smiled at her message and typed his answer.

Minhyuk: “It was for me too. We'll see each other as soon as we can.”

He laid on the couch, his arms behind his head.

I'm dating a teenager and the daughter of my close friend,” he sighed, “But I couldn't resist anymore. The big thing will be that Tae-Yong must never find out,” he sighed again.