Chapter 6

Forbidden fruit

Minhyuk and Hye-Mi became closer as the time went by. They would call each other very regularly, even nearly everyday. Sometimes, it was just for a few minutes and sometimes it could last for hours.

They didn't see each other very much though. Minhyuk was always very busy with different cases he was sorking on and on her side, Hye-Mi was still in college and was mostly free on weekends and holiday breaks.

This day will be a very busy one for Minhyuk. He had to go to courst to defend one of his most important clients. But like nearly every morning, he took the time to call Hye-Mi.

Hello Minhyuk.”

Hello, how do you know it's me?” Minhyuk asked, smiling on the phone.

Because your caller ID shows on my phone, grandpa,” Hye-Mi laughed “It's calling technology. You're not old enough for not knowing that,” she teased, “You don't have it pon your cell phone?”

Sure I do,” Minhyuk cleared his throat, “It was supposed to be a joke,” he chuckled.

Well not your best one, sorry. I think it's because it's only 8:00 in the morning. Anyway, what's new for my older buddy today?”

Minhyuk chuckled. He loved the way Hye-Mi talked sometimes.

Busy day as usual,” Minhyuk sighed, “I have to go to court to defend one of my biggest clients. It will be a difficult morning and then I'll have to do a press conference, great!” he explained, faking enthusiasm.

Hmm it seems you're not really thrilled by that. In any case, I think it's way better than long and boring school days.”

I like argue in court especially since my job, but knowing there will be a press conference makes this one even more difficult.” he sighed, “I really don't like it. I'd have become an actor or a model if being on camera was my thing you know,” Minhyuk laughed.

Maybe, but you're a good looking guy you know so...”

Oh c'mon, I'm not. I have a lot of flaws and I'm becoming old as you always joke,” Minhyuk smiled.

You're kidding?” Hye-Mi nearly screamed on the phone, “You're handsome Minhyuk, y even. If you were an actor, every girl would dream of ripping your shirt off and doing you know...things with you,” she laughed.

Minhyuk chuckled astonished by what he heard, before laughing and clearing his throat, embarrassed.

Don't say that, they wouldn't.”

Believe me, if you were a teacher at my college, you'd have to run after every classes for not being caught by the girls,” she laughed as well as Minhyuk.

Great, so remind me not to go there, okay?”

Alright. And what about the case today? Are you ready?”

Oh I don't know. I don't feel it matters that much this time, it's a complex case. I have the feeling that the jury won't be impressed by the arguments I have and it makes me feel nervous to be honest.”

You know, I think that whatever your arguments are, the jury will be impressed because you're passionate. I saw it that night at your apartment when we worked on my law project. Whenever you're talking about something regarding the law, you're animated. I would love to speak about law and cases with you again sometimes.”

Really? Okay, why not, but not now because I have to leave for court already. Don't you have school?”

I do but only in the afternoon today.”

Lucky girl, you can go back to sleep now if you want. So Hye-Mi, have a nice day. I'll call you later to tell you how things went today.”

Okay good luck with the case Minhyuk, it'll be great. But no, this time I'll call you alright?”

As you wish,” Minhyuk smiled, “Bye.”

Bye Minhyuk.”

After a busy day, Minhyuk was driving back home, humming quietly, hitting the wheel to the rhythm of the song coming from the radio. As he looked through the window, he could swear he recognized the person walking in front of him by the slender figure. He slowed down a little, following the young person, who started to walk faster.

I bet she's scared of this car slowing and following her,” Minhyuk smiled.

He put his window down and smiled. He knew from the beginning that it was her, only by seeing her back and the way she walked.

Hey!” he screamed from the car.

The young girl startled and began to walk faster. Minhyuk began to laugh in his car.

Hye-Mi! Where are you running to like that? It's me!” Minhyuk screamed.

Hye-Mi stopped walking and looked at the car with an angry face. Minhyuk stopped the car next to her.

It looks like I scared you,” Minhyuk smiled before curling his lips in a innocent way.

No you didn't,” Hye-Me stated irritably.

I did, you were walking so fast. Admit it, you were scared.”

I told you I wasn't.”

Minhyuk looked at her and burst out laughing. Even if she was mas at him, Hye-Me found him extremely cute at this moment.

Alright, I'm sorry. How can I ask for forgiveness?”

You can't!” Hye-Me replied, firmly.

Listen, I didn't eat at lunch and I'm starting to get hungry. I can afford you to buy you something to eat or drink. I know a great spot where I want to go. What do you think?”

Hye-Mi stopped and sighed. She turned around and walked to the passenger side.

Okay but you're not forgiven. I'm doing this because I'm thirsty,” she uttered, getting in the car.

Yeah sure,“ Minhyuk shrugged, smiling.

Once they arrived to the bar and restaurant, Minhyuk ordered a burger with fries and Hye-Mi a coke.

You can still eat that without having digestions problems at your age?” Hye-Mi teased.

Don't start again, I'm only 26,” Minhyuk smirked, throwing a fry to Hye-Mi.

So how did your case go?” as Hye-Mi picked up a fry from Minhyuk's plate.

Hey are you sure you don't want something to eat?”

I'm not hungry, I told you,” she shrugged.

Okay,” Minhyuk sighed with a slight smile, “I'm not convinced of my client's confession. He has now confessed to the crime, but I think he is only confessing to protect someone. I'm betting on his younger brother, but he still wants to plead guilty.”

You can't prove his brother did it?” Hye-Mi asked, very interested.

Not totally and even if I could, I'm just advocating you know. If my client wants to cover up for someone else, it's his decisions to make. I'll have to do more researches to know if I'm right or not, but time is short,” she sighed.

That ,” Hye-Mi replied as she took another fry.

There's another thing I would like to know?” Minhyuk asked, crossing his arms on the table, giving the hint of a smile.

Yes what?”

Why would you tell me you're not hungry and then proceed to eat all the fries right from my plate?” Minhyuk inquired, raising an eyebrow.

Yeah well...” she smiled, “usually I'm doing that only with Jae-Mi, my sister, and the occasional boyfriend,” she uttered, staring at Minhyuk.

Minhyuk stared at her with a slight smile and they gazed at each other for a few seconds.

I need another coke,” she stood up suddenly.

While Hye-Mi was at the bar, ordering his drink, Minhyuk was staring at her with a slight smile. He was finding Hye-Mi really sweet and the more he spent time with her, the more he felt this unexplainable attractiion.

Hye-Mi finally came back to the table with his drink, smiling at Minhyuk.

So speaking of boyfriends, are you dating someone?” College is the right time for that,” Minhyuk smiled.

Well there's this guy I like. His name is Tae-Hyung, he's in the college band.”

Oh what a cliché,” Minhyuk laughed, “Everyone falls for the musicians.”

Maybe, but I like him and he's smart even if he is a musician,” Hye-Mi smirked.

So why don't you tell him how you feel?”

I don't know. I'm not sure I want a relationship and...” she paused, “there's something else...” she stared at Minhyuk.

Well...” Minhyuk cleared his throat, “Whatever you choose to do, think straight before doing it, okay?”

I will don't worry,” she replied, smiling.

They stared at each other for a moment when Minhyuk finally broke the silence.

So what about your journalism studies? Is everything go well?”

Yes they are going well, but I'm finding it's not really motivating me anymore. Actually, it never was my dream if I'm being honest,” Hye-Mi shrugged.

Really? So what's your dream?”

I would like...no, you'll make fun of me,” she sighed.

No I swear not to, please I'm listening,” Minhyuk uttered, staring at her, seriously.

Alright, I would like to...” she paused, “be a model, that's my dream.”

Minhyuk gave the hint of a smile, being taken aback by Hye-Mi's real ambition.

Well, why did you think I'd make fun of you? It's a dream like any other,” he shrugged.

Yeah but I'm sure you're thinking it's not a real job, it's superficial. I know all about that, but that's what I want to do.”

I might think it's a bit superficial, but we're living in a superficial world. If it's what you want, why don't you try it?”

Well, it's not easy to be noticed in this business and I don't think my dad will see that it's something worth pursuing. Moreover, my father is a very known lawyer in town, I don't want people to think I succeeded to get contracts because he pulled strings up for me, thanks to his famous clients,” she shrugged, “I want to succeed on my own. I think I'll be even prouder if I succeed to do something on my own for once.”

It's a great way to think Hye-Mi, it's very mature. It's a good point for starting something in this hard business I guess. You know, I think you should give it a try...Really,” Minhyuk uttered, staring at her.

You think?” she pouted.

Yes, I think you have the qualities for it. At least, you have the most important one...”

Which one?”

Beauty...You're very...beautiful,” he uttered, softly and shyly but staring in Hye-Mi's dark eyes.

Thanks,” Hye-Mi smiled, shyly.

Well...” Minhyuk cleared his throat, “I think I should drive you back home. You probably have some homework to do and I've got some files to read.”

Okay, if you want.”

Minhyuk drove her back home and parked in the driveway. They stayed silent for a moment before Hye-Mi looked at Minhyuk. She was attracted to him more and more, even if he was older than her. Despite that, something so y and appealing was coming from Minhyuk. He was a forbidden fruit but one, we would like to taste at any price.

So goodnight, we'll call each other tomorrow?” Minhyuk asked with a smile.

Hye-Mi didn't answer and slowly came closer to Minhyuk, before leaning to kiss him. They kissed each other for a few seconds before Minhyuk broke the kiss, looking down, embarrassed.

"Hye-Mi? What? I mean...” Minhyuk said perplexed.

Minhyuk, with what you said about me being beautiful and...I thought...”

I'm sorry if you misunderstood me but you can't kiss me,” Minhyuk uttered, barely looking at Hye-Mi, avoiding her deep dark eyes.

Hye-Mi backed off on her seat and sighed, looking in front of her, sadly.

No that's fine. I'm sorry, I don't know what went through my mind. I embarrassed you and I didn't want to.”

Minhyuk gave the hint of a smile but felt very worry when looking at her. Hye-Mi kissed him and he kissed her back for a few seconds, betraying a mutual attraction and maybe feelings. Feelings that neither of them should feel.

Hye-Mi, I think you should go. It will be the best thing for tonight,” Minhyuk smiled slightly.

Yeah you're right. I'm going home. Goodnight Minhyuk,” she said, getting out of the car.

Goodnight.”

Hye-Mi waved at him before coming into her house and Minhyuk let out a big sigh.

Damn, in what mess I put myself into,” he sighed, running his hand in his hair before starting his car.