Chapter 10

Forbidden fruit

Two weeks went by since Minhyuk and Hye-Mi kissed for the first time, since they turned their friendship into a love story. They began to explore their new feelings even if was more on the phone than in person.

Minhyuk was working a lot, even outside of the office hours and was too busy to see his woman. The fact that their story was a secret didn't help. Hye-Mi was still living at her parents' house and it wasn't easy to for her to find excuses to go out at night when Minhyuk had more spare time.

Tae-Yong, being a protective father, was also keeping an eye on Hye-Mi's schedules and nights out.

After being out of the office for client meetings, Minhyuk came back to the firm.

Hello Hae-Jin,” he greeted, walking to her office.

Hello Mr. Kang, how the meetings went?”

They went well. I think we're progressing on the So's case. Talking about it, I need you to take the first deposition of the witnesses out, please?” he asked politely.

Alright, consider it done.”

Thanks. Anything special happened during my absence?”

Well some phone calls, here,” she held him some notes.

Okay, okay,” Minhyuk was going through them, “Oooh the firm Kwak want to recruit me,” he chuckled.

Really?” How do you know it's for that?” Hae-Jin asked.

Because they've been trying for a couple of weeks now. Actually, they don't want me as a lawyer. They want me to bring the big case everyone is talking about. If I win, they'd like to have their firm in all the headlines. That's the only reason,” he shrugged with a smile.

Oh I see,” Hae-Jin nodded, “But here, you're already partner sooo...”

Sooo I won't go there,” he laughed, “Alrigh Hae-Jin, I'll be in my office to catch my breath a little and I'll got to see Mr. Park after. If he asks you if I'm back, just...”

Say no,” Hae-Jin cut him off with a slight smile.

You're a great assistant,” Minhyuk pointing at her with a smile.

Minhyuk went in his office, put his suitcase on the meeting table and slumped in his leather chair.

Some quiet is good,” he sighed, rubbing his eyes.

He took his phone and called his girlfriend. Hye-Mi took some time to pick up.

Hello,” Hye-Mi greeted with a joyful tone.

What took you so long to answer? Am I disturbing you?”

No I was in the restroom,” she chuckled.

Alright, I don't need more details,” Minhyuk uttered, making them laugh.

So tell me Minhyuk, how was your day? How long have you been back from your meetings?”

I just arrived actually and I wanted to call you first.” he smiled on the phone, “My meetings went well. I met some existing clients and I went to jail for a pro bono thing.”

That's really great. I'm proud you're doing that. My father doesn't do that, I think he doesn't see the interest of it.”

Well, we have no interest financially speaking but we have the interest to do it for the possible innocent people who are in jail. I like to do it. I like to help as many people as I can.”

And once again it's really great. So everything went well?”

Yes, we can say that I had a tiring but interesting day. And what about your day at school?”

Oh nothing special,” she sighed, “Oh I nearly forgot! You know what happened to Mrs Son, my political sciences teacher?”

No.”

Well Eun-Woo, one of my classmates, put ink on her chair. She didn't notice it and sat on it,” Hye-Mi told laughing, “But the funniest part is that she was dressed in white, if you could see her face,” she crackled.

That's mean Hye-Mi and really not what college students should be doing. High school is over girl,” Minhyuk chuckled.

I know but it was funny anyway. Be honest Minhyuk, if you had been there, you'd have laughed. I'm sire of it.”

You're probably right,” he laughed.

Oh and there's something else...when I had lunch at the cafeteria,” Hye-Mi uttered, hesistantly.

Sure, what?”

A friend of mine asked me about my love life, if I had a boyfriend, that sort of thing...” she paused, “I hesitated but I said yes,” she said softly, nearly in a whisper.

Hye-Mi! That's not smart! Can't you be more careful?” Minhyuk inquired, pretty upset.

It's alright. I didn't say it was you.”

Sure but your friends will ask you questions, will want to meet me or just to see a picture of your boyfriend. What will you say then? That you don't have any?”

I didn't think about that,” she stated, embarrased, “Well, I'll take a picture of a guy in the street and show it to them,” she giggled.

It's not funny. Think a little more before speaking next time.”

Hye-Mi didn't answer. Minhyuk sighed, knowing he was rough on her.

I'm sorry, Hye-Mi,” he sighed.

No, you're right. I'm just happy to have a boyfriend for once and not just some little flirting stories to tell. It's the kind of things that we like to share at my age you know.”

I know. I Would like to share the fact that i'm with you too, to say that I'm dating a smart, beautiful and y woman,” Minhyuk declared on a seductive tone, “I would like to see you ag...”

Before he could finish his sentence, his door opened.

Minhyuk, I knew you were back,” Tae-Yong uttered with his hands on his waist.

Tae-Yong...” Minhyuk sighed, “Did you forget that storming in a room like that isn't polite?”

Who are you talking to on the phone?” his friend asked, smirking.

Nobody, I'll join you in your office in a minute,” Minhyuk replied, putting his hand on the phone.

Hmm is it a woman? A girlfriend?” Tae-Yong smiled.

Go away, stop being nosey!” Minhyuk uttered, throwing his pen, laughing.

Hey!” Tae-Yong tried to avoid the pen, “Alright join me but don't make me wait too long,” he left the office, banging the door.

Minhyuk sighed and rubbed his forehead.

Hye-Mi, I have to hang up. I can't make your father wait.”

Yeah I got it,” she giggled.

I hate when he does that, just barges in my office. Your father can be nosey, more than you which I thought impossible,” he laughed.

Hey stop that,” Hye-Mi laughed, “Minhyuk, I think you should go now. Let's talk when you'll be free, okay?”

Sure, bye.”

Bye.”

Minhyuk hung up and joined Tae-Yong in his office, who was reading a file at his desk.

Sorry for the wait,” Minhyuk apologized as he sat in front of him.

No it's fine,” Tae-Yong smiled slightly, “So, can you help me reading all of this? It's two autopsy reports for the robbery case that turned bad.”

Sure, give me one.”

As Minhyuk was reading the report, he could feel Tae-Yong's eyes on him, from time to time, smirking.

So Minhyuk, who were you talking on the phone with?” he inquired, closing his file, “It looked like a very pleasant conversation.”

So you've never had a pleasant conversation with someone?” Minhyuk asked, without lifting his eyes from his file, “There's nothing special to it,” he shrugged.

Sure but it looked like I really disturbed you. So who is the woman?” Tae-Yong asked, smirking.

Who told you it was a woman?” Minhyuk smiled.

Well, if you told a man that he's y, I would ask a lot more questions,” Tae-Yong teased with a grin.

Minhhyuk choked on his saliva and cleared his throat.

Yes, I head that,” his friend uttered, proud of him.

Tae-Yong, were you eavesdropping?” Minhyuk asked, raising an eyebrow.

No, I guess I arrived at the best moment that's all,” he shrugged, “So, who's this woman? Not Hye-Mi right?” Tae-Yong asked, with a smirk.

What? Are you crazy?” Minhyuk inquired, surprised, “She's a teen Tae-Yong,” he shrugged, “No I was with...Eun-Chae the prosecutor on the phone,” he cleared his throat, “I was telling her she was y during our last encounter in courts. You know we play this little flirting game sometimes but we can't date,” he shrugged.

Oh it was Eun-Chae?” Tae-Yong stated, disappointed, “Nothing new indeed,” he sighed.

No really not, you had false hope,” Minhyuk smiled, relieved.

Hmm yeah...I don't know,” Tae-Yong uttered, with suspicious look.

Minhyuk gave the hint of a smile and read his file again.

Then the meeting with Tae-Yong was over, Minhyuk went back in his office, sighing. He locked his door, this time, and took his phone to call Hye-Mi.

Minhyuk, how was it with my dad?”

Well, we worked on a case and he asked me a lot of questions about the phone call I had when he barged in. He wanted to know with who I was talking with etc...”

Did you say it was me? He knows we're friends.”

I could have if he didn't hear the word y in my conversation,” he replied, biting his lips.

Oh so what did you say?”

I said it was Eun-Chae, a prosecutor with whom I used to flirt. But don't be jealous, alright?”

No no I'm not,” Hye-Mi cleared , trying to hide his jealousy.

You are,” Minhyuk chuckled, “But he knows about the little flirting game already so he stopped asking questions. I still think he's suspicious though. You know, we have to be more careful,” he sighed.

More careful?” Hye-Mi asked, surprised, “We barely see each other so how can we be more careful?” she inquired, quite irritated.

I know but if we want to stay together, we need this. What you did at school was a mistake and next time, I”ll be more careful with my words when I call you from work,” Minhyuk decided.

Alright,” Hye-Mi replied, sadly.

I know, it's not fun,” he sighed.

No it's not but if we want to be together, you're right, we have to do it this way. And I want to be with you,” she smiled.

Me too Hye-Mi.”

We'll be even more careful.”

That's good girl.”

Minhyuk...I lo...”

Hye-Mi, I have to hang up. I need to call a client for something. I'll call you tomorrow.”

Okay, but I lov...” Hye-Mi cut herself and sighed, “No nothing. Bye.”

Bye princess.”

Hye-Mi hung up and fell on her bed, before turning the TV on. She sighed and thought about the words she was about to say. She was about to say the important three words to Minhyuk but she had the feeling that he cut her off before she could say it.

Maybe he's not in love with me yet,” she sighed.