Chapter 7

Forbidden fruit

The next day, Minhyuk was feeling bad. He'd thought about the kiss with Hye-Mi all night long and was still thinking about it. All he wanted was to create a good friendship because he liked her but what we used to say about impossible friendships between a man and a woman was probably true? Moreover, Hye-Mi was young and still prone to crushed. She was at an age where crushed were frequent.

Minhyuk felt Hye-Mi was hurt by his reaction maybe more than he thought, but to imagine a teenager could have feelings for him was hard to handle for him.

He finally got dressed and decided to go to Hye-Mi's house to make sure she was fine. He needed to be sure that their friendship wasn't in danger because of an impulse they both gave in to.

Minhyuk finally arrived at Hye-Mi's and rang the bell, waiting patiently to be welcomed.

Minhyuk?” Hello,” Mee-Na greeted him, with a warm smile.

Hello Mee-Na, how are you doing?” he smiled back.

I'm fine. But why are you here? If you're looking for Tae-Yong, he's not here.”

I know, No actually...” he paused, biting his lip, “I came to see Hye-Mi,” he uttered with a slight smile.

Really? Please, come in.”

Minhyuk came in and rubbed his hands, nervously.

Why do you want to see her?”

Well...she called me...” Minhyuk rubbed his neck, thinking of anexcuse, “Because we're working on a law project for school. She wants me to clarify some points,” he smiled, nervously.

That's nice from you. She's in her bedroom, you can go,” Mee-Na said, nodding.

I can? Alright,” Minhyuk replied with a smile.

Minhyuk went upstairs and knocked on Hye-Mi's door.

Yes?”

He slowly opened the door and saw Hye-Mi lying on her bed. She was on her stomach, typing things on her computer.

Hye-Mi?”

Minhyuk? What are you doing here?” she asked, giving the hint of a smile.

Well, I wanted to see you. May I come in?”

Sure,” she answered, without taking her eyes off her laptop.

Minhyuk sat on the edge on the bad and sighed. He rubbe his neck, again, nervously.

I wanted to ask you...” he paused, “how do you feel regarding what happened last night? You seemed puzzled when you left my car and I wanted to be sure...”

I'm fine,” Hye-Mi cut him off, “I told you, I didn't have to. There was no reason to come over for that,” she quickly glanced at Minhyuk with a smile, before looking at her computer again.

Are you sure? Everything's okay?”

Perfectly,” Hye-Mi replied, firmly.

Fine then,” Minhyuk uttered as he sat on the bed, putting Hye-Mi's pillow behind his back,” So what's new? School?”

Nothing more than yesterday. I still have good marks except for the math exersice you did for me last time. I forgot to tell you that it was nearly all wrong,” Hye-Mi sighed.

Oh? I'm really sorry,” Minhyuk smirked, “And what about boys? Did you talk to Tae-Hyung today?”

Hye-Mi sighed and typed her laptop louder.

No because there's no Tae-Hyung anymore. I saw today that he was dating someone.”

I'm sorry. You seemed to really like him. But you're young, you have the time to be attracted to other boys and especially to have a boyfriend actually.”

You really don't understand anything,” Hye-Mi said, sighing loudly before closing her laptop pretty strongly.”

What?” Minhyuk inquired, surprised.

I don't want to wait. I don't want to be only friends with guys...Minhyuk...I...” she paused, “I don't want you as a friend. I...I see you in a different way now,” she revealed, looking down.

Minhyuk sighed, closing his eyes. What he was fearing, finally happened.

Hye-Mi, it's not possible.”

But why?” Hye-Mi asked, looking at her, “You kissed me back and we get along so well.”

Minhyuk sighed again and looked away for an instant.

Because you're too young. I'm 25, you're a teenager. I shouldn't have kissed you back. You're...You're like a little sister to me,” he explained, trying to be as convincing as he could.

Age is nothing than a number and I don't want to be your little sister,” Hye-Mi stated, raising her voice, “Minhyuk...” as she slowly crawled to him, “Minhyuk, tell me...tell me, I don't leave you indifferent. Tell me.”

Minhyuk gulped nervously as Hye-Mi came closer to him, wrapping her arms around his neck. Hye-Mi was about to kiss him again but this time, Minhyuk stopped her holding her hands.

Don't do that,” he uttered, looking down, “Please, don't do that anymore. I'm sorry, Hye-Mi,” He noticed her very sad face, “I can't do that, I can't...”

Minhyuk stood up and left the bedroom. He closed the door and leaned his head on it, before hearing Hye-Mi bursting into tears. He sighed and closed his eyes.

You're much more than a little sister to me but we can't be together.”

Minhyuk went downstairs, sad and worried about his relationship with Hye-Mi. He was nearly at the front door when Mee-Na saw him and called him.

Minhyuk? Are you already leaving?” she asked, coming in the hallway.

Yes, we're done. I'm going home.”

I thought I heard Hye-Mi raised her voice, what was it?”

Umm...She dropped a book on her feet,” He lied, giving the hint of a smile.

Alright. Do you want to drink something? It's been awhile since we've talked,” she smiled.

Sure, why not,” he smiled back.

Minhyuk was too polite to refuse a drink for his friend's wife, even if he didn't have the mind for that. So here he was, sitting in the living room, waiting for Mee-Na to come back with her drinks.

Here, a coke with an ice cube, just as you like,” as she held him the glass.

Thanks Mee-Na, that's nice,” Minhyuk smiled.

You're welcome. So tell me...” she began, sitting on the couch in front of him, “How is your love life going? Because you know it's what really interests me the most,” she giggled.

Yes I know,” Minhyuk rolled his eyes, “Well nothing special, nothing new,” he said before a sip of his drink?

What? Really? A man like you? I don't believe you. Yiu're too handsome, nice and well-mannered to be alone.”

Well...” he blushed with a slight smile.

I saw you with the prosecutor Wong Eun-Chae not so long ago,” she cut him off.

Eun-Chae? Yes, she's a nice girl and she's pretty. But we're just working together. There's nothing more at the moment.”

And nobody except Eun-Chae? Tell me...”

Well, there's maybe a woman I like,” as he quickly glanced at the stairs, “But it's hard, it's complicated.”

I knew it,” Mee-Na declared, happily, “And why is that? What makes it complicated?” she asked taking a sip of her lemonade.

Mee-Na, I think I already told you too much. You know I don't like to speak about that.”

Alright, I know you get uncomfortable talking about this. I'll stop teasing you.”

Minhyuk smiled and just then noticed Hye-Mi walking in the corridor.

Hye-Mi! Come here a minute!” Mee-Na called her.

Minhyuk gulped nervously and looked at his glass.

Yes mom?”

So everything is alright? Minhyuk helped you to see things clearer?”

Yes, he really did,” she replied, looking at Minhyuk who avoided her eyes, “He really helped me, thank Minhyuk,” she uttered, pretty firmly.

You're welcome,” Minhyuk cleared his throat, looking at her, ill at ease.

Excuse me but I just came downstairs to get a drink. I have some more research to do,” Hye-Mi uttered, leaving quickly.

Minhyuk sighed discreetly before feeling Mee-Na's eyes on him.

It's really great to see you're getting along so well with Hye-Mi,” she stated, smiling.

Yes it's fine. She's really a good girl,” Minhyuk smiled slightly.

She is. Minhyuk...” she started, looking seriously at him, “I don't mind your friendship with Hye-Mi but be careful. I'm afraid she could become infatuated with you.”

Hmmm? What?” Minhyuk inquired after nearly choking on his drink, “Well, what make you think that?” he asked, with a smile, trying to sound relax.

Well you know, she's young. Despite what she wants us to think by going out and probably meeting some guys, Hye-Mi is sensitive and sentimental. It's at her age that we begin to really discover love feelings and the attraction for the opposite ,” she smiled.

Minhyuk nodded, smiling slightly.

And you're very handsome and you're nice. Knowing your for years, I also know that you're tender and caring. You're a good man to be around and a man easily attractive for a young girl. I'm just afraid, she would become too attached to you.”

Well, I didn't see anything wrong with her,” Minhyuk lied, nervously, “She's like a little sister to me and we're just really good friends.”

I know and I'm happy you are, just be careful okay?” She smiled.

I will,” he smiled back, “So I think I have to go,” he stated, putting his glass on the cofffee table before standing up.

Alright. Be careful on the road and I'd like to know more about this mysterious woman next time,” she teased.

Sure,” Minhyuk rolled his eyes, “Bye Mee-Na.”

Minhyuk left the house and walked to his car. Unconsciously, his head raised toward Hye-Mi's bedrrom window. She was there, behind her curtain, looking at him. Minhyuk wondered if he would wave at her or not, but he just sighed and got in the car.

Once at his place, he went to his couch, falling on it.

It's not true. What I have done?” he wondered, rubbing his forehead, “Why her? Why among all the women in this town, I'm falling for the most forbidden one? What's happening to me? Damn,” he hit the couch with his first, “Falling for a teenager, I'm crazy,” he sighed.

Suddenly, his phone rang. He looked at the caller ID, it was Hye-Mi. He sighed and satred at his phone, thinking about Hye-Mi's second attempt to kiss him and Mee-Na's warning.

I'm sorry Hye-Mi but we can't keep doing this,” he hung up his phone without answering.

He then went through his contact list and picked Hye-Mi's number before erasing it. He threw his phone on his bed in a loud sigh.