Chaotically Long Author's Note

The Stars Incline Us, They Do Not Bind Us
Please log in to read the full chapter

Author’s Notes and Thoughts:

Hello.


It feels really strange now that I’ve finished this story. In one way it’s bitter, but then it’s also nice that it’s over, or at least nice to know how this part of the journey ends.

 

When it comes to writing, I pretend to know what I’m doing and that I have everything under control. But I honestly have no idea what’s going. I just do stuff hoping it’ll work out well in the end. Considering that I really don’t like writing in third person point of view, I think this story turned out okay. I also got to play around with the writing style, which I thought was fun.

 

Anyway, I’ll admit that I found it extremely difficult to end this story, because it doesn’t really end, does it? We get the feeling that more will happen, but then it all suddenly stops and we’re not allowed to accompany the characters on their next journey. It doesn’t feel fair, but maybe it’s good to let them go on their own for now?

 

I had two epilogues in mind; the one that I posted, and the other one was supposed to be about Yong and Byul having settled down in a tiny village in Altair. They’re happy with their lives etc. and Yong reflects back on when they left Couronne. Then, suddenly, there comes a knock on the door, which ultimately sets them on another journey. And that’s how I would’ve ended the epilogue.

 

However, I didn’t write the second epilogue for two reasons: I really wanted to write the part when Yong woke up from having died (yes, she actually does die in the last chapter, but then she ‘revives’ herself, I guess. big cringe haha). I also didn’t have enough ‘material’ to write further into the future. And whatever I would’ve written would’ve become set in stone, and that meant any of my future stories within the same universe would’ve had to follow the epilogue, which I didn’t want to do when I was so unsure of what was going to happen next.

 

Also, had there not been an epilogue, then yes, this story would’ve ended with a bit of a cliffhanger. But I always hinted that Yong would somehow resurrect herself… And in order for her to resurrect herself she has to die, which she does in the last chapter…

 

At this point in the Author’s Note I’m not quite sure what to say?

 

I can explain the title, I guess.

 

The Stars Incline Us, They Do Not Bind Us (astra inclinant, sed non obligant) is an old latin phrase which is about free will. The ancient greeks and the romans were heavily influenced by the stars, and thought a lot of things to be ‘destined’ and ‘pre-determined’. The phrase basically says that ‘although the stars may nudge us in a direction, the choice to do what we want is ultimately our own’. I guess you can say the phrase goes against the traditional belief?

 

The phrase sets the theme for the story, which is about having the courage to face your destiny, standing up for what you believe is right, and letting go of the past and all that binds you. It’s very confusing, probably a bit

Please log in to read the full chapter