Flocking

The Stars Incline Us, They Do Not Bind Us
Please log in to read the full chapter

Epilogue 

Flocking

 

Some were lost in fire. Yongsun was forged in it…

 

And she burned brighter because of it.

 

Vega was a type of Star that shone bright all at once. And when Vega summoned all their Light, the sky burned like a torch. Other times, Vega would send out a much smaller Light that never travelled far, but like all Stars, Vega always shone from the heart.

 

They were never knocked out of the sky like Altair had been. Vega fell, knowing they could survive the fall. Now, one would think that Vega had to be foolish to do something like that, but in truth, it took a certain type of courage to do something like that —leaps of faith always required a little bit of bravery and a little bit of hope.

 

 

Yongsun woke. Her eyes fluttered open. She stared up into the pale sky and saw that the sun was at its zenith. She squinted, then winced, feeling all the bones in her body ache, crying in protest when she moved. It was as if she had been asleep for a thousand years.

 

Fire crackled nearby, the smell of smoke lingered in the dry air. She saw grey birds swirling above her, singing their little songs of hope. Yongsun hummed along with them, smiling, laughing, feeling that her heart was lighter —lighter than it had ever been!

 

She leaned her head back and closed her eyes for a while, sighing. She felt the wind against her bare skin. She shivered. There was a weight on her chest, twisting, throbbing, thumping, thumping, thumping.

 

Something wrapped around Yongsun, holding her. The touch was warm, it burned in the most delicious way. She opened her eyes and saw Moonbyul; tears ran down her face, was open in shock.

 

«You’re here.» Yongsun gasped, reaching up to cup Moonbyul’s cheek.

 

But Moonbyul would not stop crying, would not stop shaking. She held back a sob, then hid her face in Yongsun’s shoulder.

 

«What is it?» Yongsun asked, worried.

 

The smile upon Yongsun’s face disappeared. She threaded her hand through Moonbyul’s silk-like hair, then she gently Moonbyul’s cheek, still humming the song of hope.

 

«Your hair, Yongsun, it’s silver like stardust,» Moonbyul spoke softly against Yongsun’s skin, «it’s beautiful. You’re beautiful. And you’re still here. Still here.»

 

«I never left.» Yongsun whispered.

 

Moonbyul held her tightly, afraid that the wind would come and sweep her away.

 

«You were dead, Yongsun, I swear by the Stars, your heart stopped beating and I thought I’d lost you.»

 

«I’m here now, I’m here now.» Yongsun whispered back, then settled in Moonbyul’s lap.

 

They held each other, crying. Tears fell from their eyes, their breaths were shaky, their hands trembled, and their voices were lost in

Please log in to read the full chapter