up hill and down dale

The Stars Incline Us, They Do Not Bind Us
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 14

up hill and down dale

 

The Plateau was an ocean of grass that stretched further than the eye could see. It smelt of fresh rainwater from the night before. The wind was cool and made the grass dance. The surrounding hills were steep, the paths had not been laid with cobblestone, and the farmhouses that the witch, the magician, and the Angel passed were made from red clay and grey stone. They would stop occasionally to pick apples and berries to fill their empty bellies.

 

They passed a tall stone memorial that commemorated the lives of the fallen during the Great War. It cast a shadow upon the grass, and when Yongsun bent down to pray, the grass felt cold and wet. Yongsun spoke softly, eyes shut and forehead pressed against the grass, wishing that no lives would ever again be unjustly taken in war.

 

They continued onwards across the Plateau. A gentle breeze brushed against Yongsun’s face, untangling strands of her hair from the knot she had tied to keep it out of her face. She would stop from time to time to look at the great landscape before her, and she would feel something tingle inside her. She recognised the path she was walking on, her heart would sink, but yet she could still feel a small winged creature trying to break free from her chest.

 

The witch and the magician, who kept a steady pace in front of Yongsun would stop and turn. When they saw Yongsun had stopped, they would watch her looking at the grass and sky. They could see how much she longed and yearned, but for what, remained unknown to them.

 

Moonbyul’s antlers and blue scales had nearly disappeared. After having caught a glimpse of Moonbyul taking a deep breath and slowly releasing it, Yongsun thought Moonbyul looked at peace out on the Plateau, almost as if she had found a home. Heeyeon had taken off her jacket and thrown it over her shoulder. Her hands were stuffed into her pockets and she marched in front, Moonbyul and Yongsun followed a few steps behind.

 

They came across several carved blocks of stone that reminded Yongsun of tombstones. The stones were decorated with either ancient texts or depictions, Yongsun could not make out which.

 

«What are these?» She asked and knelt in front of one of the stones.

 

«Prayer Stones, it’s a sign of complete devotion and trust in the stars.» Heeyeon said and sat down beside her. «A star must have fallen in this exact spot, if not, Starfollowers would not have placed the Prayer Stones here.»

 

Yongsun inched forward, touching the Prayer Stones with her fingertips. She followed a red line of paint that twisted and curved forming a face of grace and elegance.

 

«Who is this?» Yongsun asked.

 

«Vega, but in human form.»

 

«They’re beautiful.» Yongsun breathed as she traced their face.

 

«Usually, we bury flower seeds by the prayer stones but I don’t have any on me…» Heeyeon turned to look at Moonbyul, who was towering over them, hands crossed over her chest. «You must have some.»

 

Yongsun looked up at Moonbyul, wondering why they buried flower seeds by the Prayer Stones and what it could possibly mean. Moonbyul tensed and scratched the nape of her neck, looking sheepish while Yongsun gazed at her. Moonbyul dug around in her coat pocket, then pulled out several brown packets, possibly ingredients for spells and potions. She handed Yongsun a tiny bag made from cotton with a yellow flower stitched on it.

 

«I do not know what kind of flowers they will grow to be, but it is a common practice for witches, wizards, magicians and starfollowers to paint the flower seeds and bury them beneath the earth by a Prayer Stone.» Moonbyul spoke calmly. «It is to symbolise life and how we can not predict its outcome.»

 

Yongsun nodded and pulled out a small flower seed that had been painted a deep dark blue, like a river reflecting moonlight. She then handed the bag to Heeyeon who fished out a red bright fiery flower seed. Yongsun watched how Heeyeon buried the seed by the Prayer Stone and knelt down to pray. Yongsun quickly did the same.

 

She prayed for hope, and then she prayed for good health and a long life. Yongsun hoped fate and destiny would be merciful and grant her wishes, which in truth were for everlasting happiness.

 

It was common knowledge among the less fortunate people in the Land of Couronne: Fame was indeed beautiful and benign, love was kind and gentle and satisfying, but true happiness was something all at once tender and brilliant beyond all things. Yongsun knew it was true, for she had felt it once when she was younger and her father was still alive.

 

When Yongsun raised her head from the grass and leaned back, she saw that Heeyeon and Moonbyul were still praying, murmuring softly into the grass. When they had finished praying, they continued across the Plateau, the sun heavy on their backs.

 

The birds chirped above them, the sheep and cows were grazing out on the meadows, and farmers were plowing the fields. It smelt of newly turned soil and Yongsun felt herself relaxing, her shoulders were less tense.

 

However, the impending doom of the Jaegers following them was not forgotten, but on such a lovely and bright day they could let themselves be at ease, even if it was only for a moment.

 

The witch and the magician conversed about small matters, such as how to conjure spells, and mix herbs for elixirs and potions. Yongsun found herself greatly fascinated and listened closely to every word they said. Yongsun had a sharp mind and a great wit, and with this new knowledge she grew the slightest bit more.

 

Whenever it seemed appropriate, she would ask Moonbyul about magic and its uses. She asked about Starfollowers and their practices. Moonbyul, who saw the fire behind Yongsun’s eye, answered every question with sincerity and even offered to one day teach Yongsun the ways of a magician and their relationship to magic.

 

Yongsun’s chest fluttered and she could not hold back a smile. She wrapped her hand around Moonbyul’s arm and said yes over and over again, until she had no more breath in her lungs. Moonbyul smiled ever so slightly and inclined her head, and Yongsun felt her cheeks grow warm because now she felt like a silly fool in front of Moonbyul, but Yongsun could not find it within herself to let go.

 

 

When the sun was about to set and the sky was painted in hues of orange, they stumbled upon a shallow pool of water that was surrounded by cut and carved stones overgrown with vines. Trees and bushes had grown large and tall, and cast great shadows and dark spots upon the grass.

 

«This is a star shrine. We are close to a temple.» Muttered the magician as she looked at the pool of water.

 

The magician and the witch sat down by the edge of the pool and removed their satchels and gun holsters. They took off their jackets and rolled up the sleeves of their shirts. Heeyeon inched closer to the water, bent down, uttered a quiet prayer, then washed her face.

 

«Come. Sit, Angel Yongsun.» Said Moonbyul and patted the grass next to her.

 

«You do not need to call me Angel.» Yongsun said gently as she approached the magician and sat down, knees bent to her chest. She placed her satchel on the grass beside her and turned to the magician.

 

«But I do, for that is who you are.» Moonbyul said with a smile, but her voice was weak, tired. Her eyes searched for permission as she reached for Yongsun. «Let me look at your arm.»

 

Yongsun rolled up the sleeve of her shirt, which revealed the wound where Krystal’s bullet had grazed her. Moonbyul looked at it, then leaned back and said:

 

«It is well that you have not healed yourself. Injuries such as these are better left to heal on their own.»

 

«Why is that?»

 

Moonbyul looked at Yongsun: It made Yongsun’s heart pound: She saw a deep sadness in Moonbyul’s eyes, and she reached out and placed her hand over Moonbyul’s. 

 

«There is a balance, an equilibrium, in this world that must be kept. Magicians can not — should not — change their surroundings unless they know the consequences of their actions. Where there is light, there is also a shadow, and to remove the shadow is to blind ourselves for pure light is overwhelming. But to remove the light is to walk blindly in the dark. Both light and shadow are in need of each other, and to have too much or too little of the other is what ultimately puts the World out of balance.»

 

Yongsun remained silent for a while, her hand still covering Moonbyul’s. A shiver ran down her spine, a terrible chill wrapped around her body, and suddenly Yongsun was overtaken by fear.

 

«Is that why you will not take Krystal’s life?» Yongsun said softly, avoiding the magician’s eyes.

 

«Her life is not mine to take.»

 

Yongsun gasped and lifted her head to meet Moonbyul’s eyes, for she could not believe that the magician would let her life be taken by a savage and unforgiving Jaeger such as Krystal.


«You would let her kill you ?» She said.

 

«Krystal won’t kill me, for my life is not hers to take either.»

 

Moonbyul’s voice was even. It was obvious from what Yongsun had seen in the streets of Kingston that the magician and the Jaeger had crossed paths before, and it made Yongsun question if the they had come to an agreements of sorts.

 

Was that why they would not take each others’ life?

 

«But she would kill you and Heeyeon in an instant.» Moonbyul shook her head. «I can not kill her, but I will not let her take innocent lives.»

 

«You two share a past?» Yongsun asked with caution.

 

She saw Moonbyul bite her bottom lip, she saw her clench her jaw. Yongsun could feel how tense Moonbyul’s

Please log in to read the full chapter