seeking light

The Stars Incline Us, They Do Not Bind Us
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 23

seeking light

 

Yongsun’s bloodcurdling scream could be heard from miles away. Her body shook with violent tremors, and her head throbbed from the Shadow trying to possess her. Tears streamed down Yongsun’s face, blurring her vision. She could barely make out Heeyeon in front of her, blood seeping from her wound onto the cave floor. Yongsun cried out again, clinging to Heeyeon’s shoulders.

 

A lump was lodged in Yongsun’s throat. She tried her best to stop the bleeding as she pressed her hands against Heeyeon’s wound, but the blood would not stop flowing. Yongsun had done this a million times before, how many soldiers had she saved? How many times had she seen blood? Too many to count. But now her hands shook violently, her lips trembled, Yongsun was frustrated, angry, scared and frightened. She felt as if all her years as an Angel were for naught.

 

Heeyeon squirmed in pain, eyes shut tight. «Go!» Heeyeon screamed, batting away Yongsun’s hands. «Just go!»

 

«You’re bleeding!» Yongsun croaked through her tears. She shook her head, she could not leave Heeyeon: One of her dearest friends who had taught her so much about the World — had taught her to believe in herself!

 

«Listen! Yongsun! Run!» Heeyeon seethed through her clenched teeth, grabbing Yongsun’s blood-stained and trembling hands. The scent of blood made Yongsun’s stomach churn. She clamped shut, shaking her head, but Heeyeon would not let up, her voice filled with determination and anger: «This isn’t an argument! I’m telling you to run !»

 

Yongsun tried to stand, but her legs were too weak, her body would not listen. Yongsun could not leave Heeyeon. Never. She tore off a long strip of her shirt and attempted to wrap it around Heeyeon’s stomach where she had been shot.

 

Heeyeon hissed, but did not stop Yongsun. «The blueprints! Forget about me! Retrieve the blueprints! They’re more important!» Heeyeon said, pointing at her satchel which lay on the cave floor, free for anyone to take.

 

Yongsun stumbled, fell and crawled as she quickly went to grab the satchel, but Krystal kicked her out of the way. Yongsun rolled onto the ground, the wind knocked out of her. She heaved and panted, her chest hurt, her stomach ached. Yongsun scrambled to her feet, only to be pushed back down again.

 

She grunted, then struggled and squirmed against the force on her back. She hit her fists against the cave floor when she realised she would not be let up. She cursed the Jaegers, wishing them the worst possible things. Yongsun froze when she saw Krystal picking up the satchel and waving it in front of her eyes. Yongsun begged her not to take it, she screamed and cried but Krystal showed no mercy.

 

Krystal’s smirk was evil, her teeth glinting in the dark. Her eyes gleamed as she watched the tears streaming down Yongsun’s face. Krystal chuckled when she opened the satchel, reached into it, and pulled out the crumpled blueprints. Then she carelessly dropped the satchel onto the ground and retreated into the dark.

 

They had lost.

 

Yongsun went limp, was dry, her sorrow unmeasurable. She screamed but her voice was gone, lost in . Yongsun felt numb, nothing could hurt her; not a thousand whips to her back or a thousand bullets through her heart. Yongsun was empty, devoid.

 

The Jaeger who stood with his foot on Yongsun’s back snarled. He leaned down, pressing the barrel of his pistol against Yongsun’s forehead. His breath was foul and smelled of death. «You’re all going to die now.» He snickered menacingly. 

 

Before he could pull the trigger he was sent flying across the cave floor. He grunted, landing hard on his back. The pistol skidded to a halt between him and Heeyeon, who’s face was streaked with tears of anguish and defeat. Her hands were shivering, pressing against the wound on her stomach.

 

The Azure Dragon, now looming above Yongsun, pressed its snout against Yongsun’s back, urging her to move, to stand. The dragon’s hot breath puffed with smoke, its scent laced with brimstone. It growled then, sinking its teeth into the material of Yongsun’s shirt, scraping against her skin. Yongsun shivered then, closing her eyes tight. The dragon huffed as it tried to lift Yongsun up. Then it released Yongsun’s shirt from its jaw and used its claws to flip Yongsun over.

 

 

Yongsun stared up into Moonbyul’s azure orbs. Yongsun choked out a pained smile, she thought the sight of her must have been horrible. Her hair was knotted and wild, her face streaked with tears, eyes red from the pain and sadness.

 

«I’m sorry.» Yongsun gasped, then inhaled sharply. Her chest tightened, she shook her head. «I’m sorry. I couldn’t— »

 

Moonbyul shushed Yongsun quietly, staring down at her: Moonbyul’s beautiful face was ridden with fear and anxiety, pain and hurt. Yongsun turned aside, burying her head in her hands. Moonbyul fought away her hands and held Yongsun’s face, telling her not to give up, not when so much was at stake.

 

«She got away.» Yongsun’s voice was hoarse, unfamiliar to even her own ears. «I let her get away, Krystal’s gone.»

 

«All hope is not lost.» Moonbyul whispered with a pained smile. She leaned down, pressing her lips against Yongsun’s forehead. «Help Heeyeon.» Moonbyul said quickly, then she was gone, chasing after Krystal. Moonbyul passed the Jaeger she had tossed and knocked him back down, growling.

 

It was quiet for a while before Yongsun tried to stand, her bones cracking from when she had been violently struck to the ground. She could only manage two steps before her wobbly legs gave out. Her stomach hurt where Krystal had kicked her, her breath came in short, heavy bursts. But Yongsun endured, she persevered, and managed to crawl towards Heeyeon.

 

Yongsun looked at Heeyeon’s wound again, then shook her head. «I don’t know what to do.» Yongsun cried. The words meant failure. Yongsun had the knowledge of Angels, she had been taught how to treat wounds like this and how to heal, but now she was at a loss. Her hands trembled as they hovered above Heeyeon’s wound. She was terrified, distraught.

 

«Stop the bleeding,» Yongsun whispered to herself, «I have to stop the bleeding,» but the material she had used to wrap Heeyeon’s wound with was soaked with blood. «It’s not stopping!» Yongsun wailed as she pressed her hands against the wound.

 

Heeyeon cried out in pain. «Stop!» She shouted. «Yongsun, by the stars, just stop!» Heeyeon grabbed onto Yongsun’s hands, halting her. Yongsun jolted, eyes wide with fright. Heeyeon stared pleadingly at Yongsun. «I’ve failed. She took it, Krystal took the blueprints! Go after her!»

 

Yongsun shook her head. «I’m not leaving you! Don’t you dare give up!» She screamed, ripping her hands free from Heeyeon’s grasp. She tore off the other sleeve of her shirt. «Don’t think it’s over yet! Not now! Not ever!» She wrapped the material firmly around Heeyeon’s wound.

 

With one last surge of strength, Yongsun stood, pulling Heeyeon up with her. Yongsun wrapped her arm around Heeyeon’s waist and draped Heeyeon’s arm over her shoulder. Willpower would get them out of the cave, willpower would get them to safety. The Stars could do nothing for them now.

 

They limped down the dark path together, the Light from Yongsun’s chest casting great shadows that danced and played on the cave walls as if mocking them. The shadows whispered for Yongsun to hurry, but the path twisted and curved, and it felt as if they would never reach the end.

 

Their breaths settled, almost silent, and all that could be heard were their footfalls. Yongsun thought of Moonbyul, worrying for her, knowing that she could not kill Krystal due to their Witch’s Bargain. But Moonbyul was strong, and determined, and resourceful. But Moonbyul was too kind, and too soft-hearted.

 

The Light from Yongsun’s chest faded, and she cursed aloud, begging the Light to not leave, not when they needed it the most.

 

«Where there is a shadow, there is also Light shining nearby.» Yongsun whispered for motivation.

 

She felt Heeyeon nod beside her. The Light disappeared from Yongsun’s chest, the shadows on the walls faded. All was dark and silent. They walked blindly, only trusting their instincts. They took a left turn, then a right, they scaled some rocks and walked along an uneven path. The entire time Yongsun could hear her thoughts raging in her head. The voices wailed like sorrow-filled mothers, like birds cawing out of grief, wolves howling at the lonely moon. Yongsun wanted to go back for Moonbyul

Please log in to read the full chapter