Temple of Izarrak

The Stars Incline Us, They Do Not Bind Us
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 15

Temple of Izarrak

 

The witch, the magician and the Angel walked along the narrow dirt path towards the Star Temple which shone in the distance. Heeyeon walked in front, the wind whipping at her face, the flaps of her jacket flying behind her. Moonbyul, who had turned the collar of her jacket up to protect her neck from the bitter cold, stopped in her tracks and turned to look behind her, catching sight of Yongsun as she looked out over Tally Town.

 

Yongsun stood on the edge of the hill, glimpsing the great lake that gleamed in the dim moonlight and the small boats bobbing up and down in the water. A cold breeze swept past her. She turned to see that Moonbyul was waiting for her while Heeyeon had kept on going.

 

Moonbyul held out her hand. Yongsun took it and muttered thank you.

 

«Not much farther now.» Whispered Moonbyul, letting Yongsun walk in front of her.

 

When the Star Temple came into view, Yongsun felt her skin creep and crawl. The air around her was suddenly colder and much more harsh. A lump formed in Yongsun’s throat, a terrible dread wrapped around her body nearly suffocating her. Yongsun halted, Moonbyul crashed into her back. Yongsun said she could not go inside, because she was a non-believer. She was certain that in the eye of Starfollowers she was a heathen; a pagan. They would never let her enter their most sacred place.

 

Moonbyul looked down at Yongsun and saw how frightened she was; pale face, tense jaw, shaking body. Then Moonbyul said with great care that there was nothing to be afraid of. Star Temples could seem overwhelming, but Starfollowers were more often than not extremely kind and welcoming, no matter what a person believed.

 

Yongsun in a deep breath and willed herself to not be afraid as she followed Moonbyul through a large archway and into a square that was surrounded by houses built from marble. There were a few long windows with red and orange stained glass and the roofs were sharp and pointed.  The most masterful carvers and craftsmen from Couronne must have created this Star Temple, thought Yongsun, noticing that every single space was covered with decoration: the walls were covered with beautiful ceramics and plasterwork. The Star Temple took Yongsun’s breath away. It reminded her of a fort or a small castle.

 

Heeyeon stood in the middle of the courtyard where a small tree was planted with a bench carved from white marble beside it. Heeyeon had her hands in her pockets, waiting for the magician and the Angel. Yongsun stayed close to Moonbyul as she let her eyes wander around the place, not so much with curiosity but with caution.

 

A large wooden door creaked open. A man, followed by a much taller man who walked with stiff pride, approached them. An orb of light floated behind them, illuminating their clothes and faces. They were both dressed in pristine white cloaks, clasped together by a piece of silver. The old man had black hair and a short beard while the man trailing behind him was young and fair.

 

The old man took a step forward and bowed as he greeted them. He said:

 

«A star shines in the dark and darkness shall not overcome it. Welcome to the Temple of Izarrak. I am the Archreader of this Star Temple and this is one of my students, Tae.»

 

The Archreader’s voice was kind and gentle. And when Yongsun dared to step out from behind Moonbyul, she caught the Archreader’s eye. He smiled warmly at her, his eyes crinkling, and asked what brought them to the Star Temple so late at night

 

Yongsun saw the Archreader stealing a quick glance at Heeyeon and Moonbyul’s gun holsters. He cocked an eyebrow, looking rather unimpressed but said nothing.

 

Moonbyul took a step forwards and bowed much deeper than the Archreader had when he greeted them. She said Jaegers were hunting them. Moonbyul then asked the Archreader if he and the other Starfollowers would grant them sanctuary at the Temple of Izarrak for a night or two. The Archreader remained silent. The fair young man made a noise of disapproval and looked as if he wanted to tell the witch, the magician and the Angel to leave.

 

After a silence the Archreader asked where they were from. Moonbyul said she was from Port City, Heeyeon said she was from Avion, and when it was Yongsun’s turn to speak, she found had gone dry and her tongue had twisted uncomfortably in . She took a deep breath and in a shaky voice barely managed to say that she was from a great estate to the west called Sunfield Hall.

 

The Archreader nodded and upon seeing how nervous Yongsun was, he took her shaking hands in his old ones and with a warm smile he welcomed them inside.

 

Yongsun could see the that the young man’s expression fell at the Archreader’s words but he had no time to protest as the Archreader promptly sent him away, telling him to prepare a room for them. Yongsun was not any less tense or afraid, but she mustered a soft smile and stayed by Moonbyul’s side as the Archreader led them inside.

 

They left the courtyard and upon entering the Star Temple were overwhelmed by bright light. The hallway was filled with racks of tall candlesticks. Great shadows ran up the walls as the light from the candles flickered and danced. The walls were decorated with murals of what Yongsun thought must be Aquila, Altair, Vega and Alshain. Passages from ancient texts had been carved into the stone walls. Yongsun could barely make out the words.

 

«This is an old temple built long before the unification of the Land of Couronne.» Said the Archreader as he led them down the hallway. «This is the only Star Temple north of Kingston that follows principle rules and readings from the south of Couronne and Altair. For example, we believe that Altair and Vega were the Azure dragon and the Vermillion Bird, much like Altairians believe. We do not partake in sacrificing anything that is of Being, just like Altairians.»

 

Yongsun stayed close to Moonbyul as they walked down the wide hallway, their footsteps echoing loudly. Yongsun’s fear had not yet settled and her eyes darted from left to right as the shadows cast by the candlelight surrounded her like wolves circling their prey.

 

She gripped Moonbyul’s arm out of pure fright and nervousness, and held on tightly. Yongsun was sure Moonbyul pretended not to notice at first, but then Yongsun felt a carefully placed hand on her back.

 

«These depictions are beautiful.» Moonbyul said softly as she looked at a mosaic mural of Altair and Vega standing side by side, holding hands and looking out over the ocean.

 

The Archreader stopped and turned. He smiled warmly and agreed that the murals were indeed beautiful. He said that the design and art style was typical of the south. The Archreader turned to Heeyeon and bowed. He said he was from Avion as well and asked how the city was faring.

 

Heeyeon sadly had to admit she had not been to Avion in many years. But Heeyeon did not hesitate to say that the Star Temple was a gentle and kind reminder of home. The Archreader nodded as if understanding. Then he continued:

 

«These murals tell the story of how every thing came into Being. They tell the story of Aquila’s light, Alshain’s corruption, Altair and Vega’s first meeting, and Antares’ demise. I am sure you must have heard of these stories.»

 

Moonbyul nodded slowly, then her gaze fell upon her hand, and Yongsun saw that Moonbyul was looking at the ring on her finger. Moonbyul slid her ring off with ease and, placing it in the palm of her hand, presented it to the Archreader.

 

«This is Altair’s heart. It is my magician’s stone.»

 

The Archreader stood still, his eyes never leaving the stone as if in a trance. Then he reached out as if to touch the ring. Yongsun saw Moonbyul flinch, wanting to draw back her hand. But the Archreader did not snatch it out of her palm, instead he cradled Moonbyul’s hand shut. He smiled warmly at her, patting her closed hand.

 

«The Festival of Light is in a few short days. We would be honoured to have you as our guests and for you to celebrate the stars with us.»

 

They accepted the invitation and continued down the hallway, passing the refectory which was filled with chatter. Yongsun managed to steal a glance through a crack in the door and saw both young girls and boys dressed in white cloaks huddled around a long wooden table. They looked ethereal as if they did not belong to this world. Yongsun thought they belonged in the sky alongside the stars.

 

Seeing the Starfollowers gathered around the tables reminded Yongsun of Heaven, and something within her stirred at the thought. She felt her chest clench with guilt and she looked away from the refectory with shame.

 

Yongsun could feel her heartstrings tear apart! Yongsun had left her fellow Angels behind, she had let them fade away into a tiny speck in her mind! But still she could not shake away the pain that still lingered in her all too kind and fragile heart.

 

Her eyes suddenly met Moonbyul’s. Yongsun’s heart jumped, she let go of Moonbyul’s arm and took a step back. Moonbyul looked worried, she looked as if she wanted to say something, but the Archreader called out to them, asking if they were coming.

 

The Archreader led them to the rooms where the students and the other Readers slept. He opened the door to a very plain and simple room with four cots, a desk and a small chest of drawers. Pale moonlight slipped in thr

Please log in to read the full chapter