cobwebs, hope and vanishing powder

The Stars Incline Us, They Do Not Bind Us
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 3

cobwebs, hope and vanishing powder

 

Yongsun was biting her fingernails and bouncing her leg as she sat awake in the alcove that Heeyeon had been kind enough to clean. Starlight and moonlight shone through the windows, and Yongsun found it difficult to go to sleep while her mind was wide awake and full of energy. Yongsun thought about what had transpired, how she had accepted a witch’s bargain without really thinking things through.

 

She had only thought about herself, really, and Yongsun let out an indignant huff at her own incompetence. How disappointed Head Angel Solji would be if she knew! Yongsun fell back against the makeshift bed and looked up at the dusty ceiling that Heeyeon must have forgotten to clean. Yongsun saw several cobwebs in the corners and shivered as she turned over so that she would not have to look at them.

 

The bed squeaked and groaned as she moved about, trying to find a comfortable position. Heeyeon was sleeping on the couch, snoring loudly. Yongsun realised quite quickly that she must be a heavy sleeper.

 

Yongsun stared at the wall while she clutched the pendant that hung around her neck, rubbing the scarlet pearl’s soft surface. Yongsun muttered to herself about destiny, stars, fate and other things she really did not believe in. It was force of habit, just as she clutched at the pendant when she was nervous.

 

During the Great War, the Head Angels had taught her how to pray and about hope — a thing with feathers that perched in the soul, singing tunes without words and never stopping. But hope seemed too idealistic a thing to Yongsun so she decided not to hope at all, and all that praying had only taught her how to meet Death without fear.

 

«Angel?» A voice called out to Yongsun.

 

Yongsun groaned, turning over in bed and rubbing her eyes. Sunlight pricked her cheek, a cold breeze sailed past her sending goosebumps all over her skin. She groaned again when someone shook her shoulder.

 

«Go away, Wheein.»

 

«It’s Heeyeon.»

 

Yongsun shot up, her head spinning from the sudden movement. Black strands of hair stuck to Yongsun’s sweaty face and she saw through half-lidded eyes that Heeyeon was standing in front of her, a warm smile gracing her face. She chuckled before she took a step back to let Yongsun come to her senses.

 

«My apologies.» Yongsun muttered without meeting Heeyeon’s eyes.

 

«It’s quite alright, Angel Yongsun, or perhaps I should call you Miss Yongsun from now on, seeing as you’ve been pardoned from your duties.»

 

Heeyeon was only wearing a shirt and a pair of grey slacks. Despite the casual attire, Heeyeon still looked as if she was wearing clothes of pride and dignity, as when they first had met. Yongsun then looked down at herself, feeling rather insecure. She bit the inside of her cheek when she noticed that her nightgown was filled with tiny holes and that the seams were coming apart. She had no other clothes except her uniform, but she could not sleep in that.

 

«There’s a bathroom in the hallway that you can use. If you’re quick, you might get in first.»

 

Yongsun grabbed her bag and rushed for the bathroom to freshen up and change her bandages. Yongsun returned with a fresh face, hair neatly brushed, glasses cleaned and wearing her uniform. The smell of toasted bread, fried eggs and crispy bacon wafted through the apartment, making Yongsun’s stomach growl loudly. Heeyeon must have heard because she gave a lighthearted laugh and beckoned for Yongsun to take a seat at the table.

 

«I’m not the best at cooking, I burn rice, I can’t cook pasta, and I set the sink on fire once, but still I like to think that I’m good at making breakfast. Eat up, Miss Yongsun! We have a long day ahead of us!»

 

«It sounds strange, like that title does not belong to me, as if I am borrowing someone else’s life for the time being.»

 

«Well, you’ll just have to get used to it while you’re in this bargain with me.» Heeyeon said and winked.

 

Yongsun smiled, then looked down at the plate in front of her. She instantly went for the crispy bacon, picking up a piece. In Heaven, breakfast usually consisted of porridge, a piece of fruit, and a glass of milk. It was only on very rare occasions that Angels were served any thing else. Yongsun had not eaten bacon in years and sighed when she bit into it, relishing the sweet, salty flavour.

 

Heeyeon was a quick eater, Yongsun had not even managed to eat half of what was on her plate before Heeyeon was done.

 

«I’ll be gone for an hour or two, just to get some things.»

 

«Oh, would you like me to accompany you?»

 

«No, that’s okay,» Heeyeon assured Yongsun, «I think it best if I go out alone.»

 

«Stars light your way.»

 

Heeyeon grabbed a blazer before leaving Yongsun by herself in the apartment. Now, it was only her; her and her thoughts. She sighed as she sat at the table, chin in hand, picking at the food that Heeyeon had been generous enough to make for her.

 

All the recent changes that had occurred, left Yongsun feeling as if she was riding a wave of emotions that carried her up and down: first she was relived, then she was sad, then she was happy, then she felt guilty for leaving her fellow Angels behind in Heaven, so that she could follow her own selfish dreams and wishes.

 

Yongsun told herself to make an effort and ate as much as she could before she got rid of the leftovers and washed the plates. Then she walked around the apartment again, inspecting the things on the bookshelves, looking at the weird textbooks that were labeled with clear directions for Heeyeon, or someone named Moonbyul, to not move or pick them up.

 

Moonbyul must be Heeyeon’s friend and roommate, the magician who crashed through the walls of the infirmary. Yongsun pondered for a while, trying to figure out the dynamics in Heeyeon and Moonbyul’s relationship — it seemed rather strange.

 

A witch and a magician getting along, and not only that, but also living together?

 

Yongsun looked through a book about potions and spells, and then one about charms and curses. As she searched the apartment more thoroughly (since Heeyeon was gone), Yongsun found glass jars containing things that looked like human body parts, and small packets with labels such as VANISHING POWDER, FLIGHT POWDER, TALON-TELLERS, and HEARTSOULS, as well as other peculiar, magical things that made little sense to Yongsun.

 

Heeyeon returned holding a large purple and black gift shop bag, smiling widely at Yongsun. Yongsun wondered if her cheek muscles ever got tired.

 

«Here, I got you some new clothes,» Heeyeon said as she handed Yongsun the gift bag, «your uniform will bring too much unwanted attention, besides, I thought you might like the change. It’s all from Marcher’s, the department store in Sector 7.»

 

Yongsun removed the gift paper, carefully taking out a white silk blouse with a collar and a long beige skirt, which weighed next to nothing. From the bottom of the bag, Yongsun took out a shoebox and opened it, widening her eyes when she saw expensive, shiny, flat, black shoes.

 

«You —you shouldn’t have!» Yongsun spluttered, stumbling over her words, which was something she usually did not do. «Let me pay you back. How much do I owe you?»

 

«You owe me nothing, Miss Yongsun.» Heeyeon replied and grabbed Yongsun’s hands. «It was my pleasure.»

 

Heeyeon was polite and turned away while Yongsun changed into her new outfit.

 

«I didn’t know your size, so I got something that was a bit loose fitting. We could go to Marcher’s later and get something that would fit you better, a dress, a pair of slacks, or even a coat, if you’d like.»

 

«This is perfect.» Yongsun said as she stepped forward and curtsied in front of Heeyeon. «Thank you.»

 

 

When they stepped out of the apartment, Yongsun truly felt like a citizen of Kingston. Nobody turned their heads when she walked down the streets, nobody whistled after her. Yongsun was no longer prey and was invisible to the predatory eyes.

 

«I noticed a newspaper headline that said a building had collapsed in Sector 11, after one of its main walls had had a big hole ripped in it. It sounds to me like the dragon might’ve been there.» Heeyeon said before they got onto the tram.

 

It seemed like it was going to be a nice day, and Yongsun spent most of her time looking out of the window at the sky as the tram whizzed through the streets, bringing them to Sector 11. When they got off, Yongsun was met with the rather depressing sight

Please log in to read the full chapter