a fear of memories

The Stars Incline Us, They Do Not Bind Us
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 17

a fear of memories

 

The trees swayed, the winds moaned. From behind the tree line Yongsun saw the Temple being devoured by flames that danced upwards to the sky. She took a step towards the burning temple, but Moonbyul grabbed her arm, pulling her deeper into the forest where nothing but darkness loomed.

 

They ran, then they stopped to catch their breath, then they ran again until they stumbled and fell, their legs sore and aching. Moonbyul panted heavily as she rested against a tree. Heeyeon brushed her sweaty bangs away from her face and looked up at the night sky.

 

Yongsun gulped, it was all her fault. Her hands shook as she leaned against a tree. Yongsun felt herself dissolving, her skin being torn apart, her veil which protected her from the cruel world falling to the ground. Her morals, the rules she had set for herself — she felt as if she had betrayed them all.

 

She had crossed the last line. She had brought evil upon the Temple of Izarrak and all the Starfollowers who resided there. Yongsun had not meant it, of course. She had just forgotten the danger that followed them; The Jaegers hunting them like wolves.

 

Yongsun ripped the silver thread off her head and gripped it tightly in her hand, the gems pricking her palm like thorns. She hissed and let out a long string of curses.

 

Heeyeon, who looked as if she was in pain, begged Yongsun to be quiet, for she could not bear to listen to such words. Yongsun looked at her, tears streaming down her cheeks, dripping off her chin. Yongsun wanted to scream until her lungs burned and became hoarse.

 

But not a word left . Her lips quivered. Her heart clenched and twisted. And Yongsun swore she had never felt pain like this before. Her head throbbed, everything was a blur. She tried to get away, to run, to fly, but before she knew it she was falling and the last thing she heard was Moonbyul calling out for her.

 

They hid in the forest, not far from the Star Temple. Heeyeon and Moonbyul could hear the Temple collapsing, turning to ash and rubble in the distance. Moonbyul had gathered Yongsun in her arms and sat down with the Angel’s head upon her lap. Moonbyul watched over Yongsun as she remained still, lifeless. It scared Moonbyul, Yongsun looked like a corpse.

 

When dawn came, the witch and the magician had fallen asleep, fatigue had snatched them sometime during the night. Yongsun awoke, lifting her head from Moonbyul’s lap and looked around. Her chest hurt, her head ached still. She could smell smoke in the air.

 

She stood, careful not to wake Moonbyul or Heeyeon. Her clothes were ripped and dirty, her legs wobbled as she walked out of the forest. Yongsun had to know what happened, her mind would not stop racing until she reached the temple.

 

Yongsun saw the temple in the distance: destroyed, in ruins. Yongsun shut her eyes tightly, her jaw tensing as she looked away with guilt and shame. The tears stung. Her body was overcome by violent tremors and Yongsun fell to the ground, gripping the short grass and ripping it from the earth.

 

There was anger in Yongsun’s heart, frustration boiled within her. Where did this anger come from? Where in her body had it been residing? Yongsun struck the ground with her fist. A blaze erupted from her hand, startling her. She fell backwards onto her bottom and crawled away from the fire which blazed a trail towards the temple.

 

When Yongsun had wiped the tears from her face and taken a good look at the temple, she saw a figure lying where the backdoor had been. She got up and rushed to the figure.  

 

It was Archreader Taepyung.

 

His silk shirt was ripped and stained with blood. Yongsun looked away when she saw the burns on his skin, the deep gash on his stomach, and the claw-marks on his face. His chest rose and fell, and Yongsun realised he was breathing — he was alive. Yongsun tore her shirt into strips and attempted to bind his wound.

 

He stirred and coughed, then placed his hand upon Yongsun’s. He smiled at her, but he was weak, tired, and soon he would be gone from this world. He opened his mouth, blood trickled over his bottom lip and down his chin.

 

«Don’t speak, save your energy.» Yongsun said softly, squeezing his hand.

 

The Archreader looked at her, saying nothing. Then he reached into his pocket. Mustering the last bit of strength, he pulled out a small vial with white liquid swirling inside it.

 

«Do you know what this is?» He asked, softly. «It is milk of the Silent Flower.»

 

«I am familiar with its usage, yes.»

 

The Silent Flower was a deadly flower, a single drop could fully heal a man, however, two drops could kill him. Yongsun had known about the Silent Flower ever since the Great War began. It was used in emergency situations, not to save people but to spare them from pain. It was used as an act of mercy.

 

«Do you know the story behind it?»

 

Yongsun shook her head.

 

«It is said that this flower sprouted from a princess’ tears.» The Archreader’s voice was weak, but he went on:

 

«The princess lived a horrible life, locked away in a castle, all alone. The princess was so miserable she wanted to disappear from the world. Her father, a king, told her she was to marry a prince from a neighbouring land. Such news did not bring the princess joy, but she could not protest and remained silent.»

 

The Archreader's voice became softer and softer, and Yongsun gently squeezed his hand to let him know she was still here.

 

«The princess became queen, and when her husband said he wanted an heir, she could not protest and remained silent. Their firstborn died in childbirth, and the midwife took the dead babe away. The queen did not cry, she remained silent. Sadly, the queen lived a very long life, longer than her husband who died young, and when she was set to remarry, she could not protest, and remained silent.»

 

The Archreader’s eyes had fallen shut and Yongsun thought he was gone. But then he coughed and with what little energy he had left said:

 

«When she died, a tear rolled down her cheek and fell onto the soil, and from it grew a white flower, the silent flower.»

 

He popped the lid of the vial and gave the vial to Yongsun. «Two drops, please, only two drops.» The Archreader whispered.

 

With shaky hands, Yongsun made sure she gave the Archreader a single drop.

 

«Keep it, Angel Yongsun.» He grunted and pushed the vial into Yongsun’s trembling hand. «Keep it.»

 

Yongsun sat back, looking at the Archreader’s body. He was gone. And Yongsun was alone now. She did not cry, for she had no more tears left. She sat there, silent, with the vial in her hand, sighing as she looked at it.

 

It was an act of mercy, Yongsun told herself, it was for the best. The words stung, and no matter how many times Yongsun had done this during the Great War, she would never get used the pain which lingered afterwards.

 

A low growl sounded from beside her and Yongsun leapt to her feet. Only a few meters away stood the giant hound, the monster of all monsters. Its muzzle dripped with thick crimson blood. It stunk of dead flesh, its paws were dirtied and its fur coated with grime.

 

Krystal appeared beside the monster, her eyes set on Yongsun. Krystal’s boots were covered in blood. She looked tired. But Yongsun could spare her no sympathy. Then the tears came running like a river, blurring Yongsun’s vision.

 

«How could you!» Screamed Yongsun. Her tongue spoke the anger of her heart as she cursed Krystal and the monster standing beside her which snapped its jaw menacingly at Yongsun.

 

Krystal’s eyes were piecing, dangerous. She let Yongsun yell at her, the words did not bother her. When Yongsun was done, Krystal smirked and whispered to the hound.

 

«Fetch.» She said.

 

The monstrous hound leapt at Yongsun, and Yongsun ducked to the ground before the monster could swallow her whole. She rolled on the grass, and when she lifted her gaze, the monster was charging at her. Yongsun reached for the vial, putting it to her lips. Her entire body trembled as she closed her eyes.

 

This was it.

 

The Azure Dragon sprung out from the forest sending trees flying. It roared a great roar as it rushed towards the monster, kicking up dirt in its wake. Brimstone wafted through the air. The monster turned and growled when it saw the dragon.

 

The vial fell from Yongsun’s lips as she watched the beast and the monster collide. The dragon was long and slim, the monster huge and muscular. The dragon’s claws were as sharp as the monster’s teeth and sliced the monster’s face. They roared and fought with all their might. The dragon was quick, but the monster was stronger, and soon the dragon was pinned beneath it. The dragon tried to claw its way free but whimpered when the monster bit down around its neck.

 

Yongsun stood on shaky legs. She saw Heeyeon in the distance holding a silver dagger. Yongsun wondered where she had gotten it. Then, like magic, Heeyeon leaped high up in the sky and came crashing down on top of the monster. She pierced the monster’s neck with her dagger and the monster howled in pain.

 

The Azure Dragon slipped from the monster’s jaws and limped away while Heeyeon plunged the dagger deeper and deeper into its neck. All the monster could do was yowl as it tried to buck Heeyeon off.

 

Yongsun crawled towards the dragon. She saw blood seeping through the dragon’s scales, it tilted its head and growled when it saw her. Yongsun reached out and took the dragon’s head in her lap, holding it, she could feel the dragon’s panting, warm and heavy.

 

The dragon shifted before Yongsun’s eyes and suddenly the magician sat in front of her, antlers still attached to her head, blue scales covering her skin. Three red nasty lines ran across Moonbyul’s face, from her nose to her chin. The magician looked furious. 

 

«This!» Shouted Moonbyul wrapping her hand around Yongsun’s that held the vial. «Don’t ever take this! Promise me! Promise me you’ll never take it!»

 

All Yongsun could do was nod as she watched Moonbyul wipe the blood from her face with the back of her hand. Then the magician shifted back into the Azure Dragon.

 

Heeyeon had tumbled off the monster, which loomed over her, frothing at the mouth. The dragon swiftly leapt across the grass and dug its claws into the monster, biting down on its spine.

 

Yongsun turned away and saw Krystal standing by the ruined temple rubble. The Jaeger, who’s eye had been pierced by Heeyeon, stood beside Krystal. He snarled when he spotted Yongsun watching them. Krystal shook her head, placing a hand on his arm, then they both walked away.

 

A fire blazed in Yongsun’s stomach. She screamed as she rushed towards the Jaegers, a fire burned bright behind her. She was soon upon them and they would feel her wrath, but then she felt a hand wrap around her waist.

 

«No, Yongsun.» Said Heeyeon softly. «There’s no use fighting, we’ve both lost.»

 

Yongsun turned to grip Heeyeon’s shirt tightly. Behind her, she saw the Azure Dragon crushing the nape of the monster’s neck with its jaw. The dragon then released the monster which fell to the ground with a whimper.

 

«You’re letting them escape!» Yongsun yelled.

 

«They’re letting us escape!» Heeyeon shouted back and pulled Yongsun towards the magician who had shifted back.

 

The red lines on her face dripped with blood and her clothes were covered in it. Moonbyul stood beside the fallen monster, and when the wind blew across the top of the hill, the monste

Please log in to read the full chapter