Christmas Tree

Moments
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaewon’s case finished early and she was wandering around the mall looking for small gifts she could buy for the kids and Hitomi. She was in a good mood as she did well on the case and got the outcome she was looking for so the client was happy which makes her happy.  It was getting close to Christmas and the mall was decorated very festively. As she walked by the general store display, something caught her eye. It was a small Christmas tree, about 4 ft tall, placed in the corner of the display and was on sale. Not the best looking tree given how sparse the branches were but by no means was this tree like Charlie Brown’s.

Chaewon stood in front of the window display a while, starring at the tree. She thought back to a few years ago when 5 year old Minju asked if they could get a Christmas tree and at that time, the twins were not even a year old. They didn’t have the time nor the means to get it then. There was something about Christmas that Minju just seems to love. They would visit the shopping district and Minju would be wide eyed in awe of all the Christmas display. Nothing could wipe the smile off of Minju's face. The twins were too young to understand or care about the festivities, but they are starting to get into the Christmas spirit now that they are in school.

Unbeknownst to Chaewon, she was smiling like a dork as she was thinking of her children while still standing in front of the store. The manager from the general store has been watching Chaewon for some time and finally went to greet her at the window display.

 

“Hello!”

“Oh, hello!” Surprised by the sudden greeting.

“I don’t mean to startle you but I’ve noticed you have been starring at our window display for some time, are you interested in something?”

Chaewon hesitated for a moment, “um, well, I am interested in that tree.” She pointed to the Christmas tree at the corner of the display.

The manager laughed.

Chaewon was confused.

“My apologies for laughing, it’s just that we’ve been trying to get rid of stock on those trees and even with the discount, no one has been interested until you.”

Chaewon smiled and nodded.

“I’ll tell you what, I’ll give you an extra 20% off the sale price if you say yes right now.”

“Yes!” Chaewon said without thinking.

 

Chaewon was outside their home door, having to put down the box with the tree to unlock the door.

As soon as she opened the door, she pushed the box inside and hide it from view from the family.

A certain kid was already running towards her.

“Omma!”

Chaewon lifted Nako up and gave her a kissed on her cheek.

“And how was my small bean today?” Chaewon tickled Nako and Nako giggled while squirming in her arms.

Nako is always the first one to greet Chaewon when she comes home from work. Chaewon carried Nako to greet Hitomi who was preparing dinner.

 

“Tomi, I bought something, something for all of us.” Chaewon’s voice was beaming with excitement.

Hitomi furrowed her brows, wondering what Chaewon could have bought.

“I’ll show everyone after dinner.”

The kids rushed through dinner knowing there is something coming.

 

“OK, everyone close their eyes.” Chaewon instructed Hitomi and the children as they stood in the living room.

“No peeking Nako!” Nako covered her eyes with her tiny hands.

Surprisingly, everyone did as they were told and kept their eyes closed. When it was safe to do so, Chaewon brou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter