Guard Your Heart

Lavender Symphony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Genre: Bodyguard AU, Assassin AU (prompt given by a friend)

As the familiar weight that was pillowed against her chest shifted, the bodyguard’s gaze trailed downwards reflexively. The peaceful smile that was on the sleeping figure’s face however, was not mirrored on the bodyguard’s. Wendy, the bodyguard, had a perpetual stoic look, one which both intimidated and calmed people around her. Yet, beneath that mask of stoniness, lies a multitude of untamed emotions. They were like a nest of unruly, vicious snakes that were all tangled up, layering and slithering over one another.

The sleeping figure stirred once more, the smile on her face was gone and replaced by an expression of discomfort. Wendy’s brows knitted unwittingly as well.

“Wendy… don’t go…”

“I am here, Irene. I am not going anywhere,” Wendy reassured.

Irene who had fallen soundly asleep in Wendy’s arms was finally waking. It has been three days since she kept vigil at her granduncle’s wake. Wendy too, have been awake for almost the same length of time, if not longer. Wendy had to. As Irene’s personal bodyguard and with the recent murder of Irene’s family members, including this granduncle whose wake they were in attendance of, Wendy dared not let her guard down.

It was ironic, really, that Wendy, whose original intent was to exterminate the Bae family members, had become their guardian instead. Or was she really?

“My granduncle… do you think he deserved it?”

The hairs on Wendy’s neck bristled and she straightened her back. “No one deserves to die in this manner.”

Irene put on a wry smile on her face.

“Indeed, sixteen rounds of bullets. They were enjoying his slow death a little too much, aren’t they?”

Wendy’s expression remained stoic as she nodded. “It was not a very dignified death. There were signs of struggles.”

Irene winced a little and she wrapped her arms around Wendy’s waist.

“I would beg for them to aim at my heart,” Irene said, meaning to sound cheeky but was met with Wendy’s hard stare instead. “I was kidding. That look of yours could have killed me,” Irene joked but Wendy was not humoured.

Retrieving a gun from her holster while still keeping the safety catch on, Wendy pressed the gun into Irene’s hands. “Why beg for someone to kill you when you should be killing them first.”

Irene sniggered. “And that is how we nearly killed each other.”

Wendy broke their gazes and looked away. She felt a strong grip in her heart. Indeed, a year ago, Wendy’s muzzle was pointed at Irene’s temples. Irene was Wendy’s mission, her final one in fact.

All of Wendy’s life, she assumed numerous identities for the organisation she worked for. Each identity was saddled with the goal of killing her target and Wendy had been trained from the age of three to wield a knife and become an expert in it. By age eight, Wendy was as lethal as a black mamba.

Irene on the other hand, was born into chaebol family. Irene’s family, the Bae Conglomerate, had made numerous allies and twice as many foes. Irene was nev

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter